Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also this. One power dribble, up and in. Something soft Euro bigs don’t really know how to do, and something even undersized American bigs learn early
    Thanks for explaining the power dribble to a nba-center. You're right. Every undersized American (!) big could make this move with crowded space under the rim. Poeltl would have got an offensive foul if he had done this. Unfortunately IQ undersized Americans seem to not understand how to play as a big in the NBA. Bend over and I show you a hard Euro big.
    Last edited by ragas; 08-04-2020 at 04:47 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tough loss but still a great comeback effort in the 4th quarter by our guys ... Murrays steal and dunk started it, then some great plays by White, Demar and Gay ... it was exciting to watch :-)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You Poeltl slurpers better get in the LMA Apology thread ASAP. Poeltl is garbage. He's a foul machine like he just started playing in the NBA, has no jumper, no post moves and can't guard big men. All he's good at is setting picks and playing help defense. Offer him 4 million per year to be a back up and watch who offers more. I doubt he will get signed somewhere else to be a starter

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You Poeltl slurpers better get in the LMA Apology thread ASAP. Poeltl is garbage. He's a foul machine like he just started playing in the NBA, has no jumper, no post moves and can't guard big men. All he's good at is setting picks and playing help defense. Offer him 4 million per year to be a back up and watch who offers more. I doubt he will get signed somewhere else to be a starter
    you‘re funny. can I book you for the birthday party of my 3 year old?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray plays like he thinks he is an all star but he doesn't have the ball control to do well in heavy traffic. So many times i see him just charge into the paint with no plan whatsoever. It seems he just wants to get a flashy play but they so often blow up in his face. He doesn't have enough respect for his opponents defense...

He needs to take notes on how DDR goes into the paint. DDR has great ball control to the point that he almost looks like slow motion as he makes his deliberate moves toward the rim. Murray on the other hand seems to speed up as he gets closer to the rim and if things don't go perfectly he is moving too fast to make adjustments.
    Last edited by SpurSpike; 08-04-2020 at 08:51 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Refreshing as always to come back to ST's cliff-jumping over every loss. I've missed this, tbh.

The biggest mistake DJ made was on the Shake Milton 3. You absolutely have to guard a shooter like him up close, and trust Poeltl to at least try to contest Embiid, especially when a 2 would've just tied it with the last possession belonging to the Spurs. I hope they go over this on film so it doesn't happen again - these are all learning opportunities for our young players, which many people here seem to be forgetting. LOL at people complaining about Dejounte's aggressiveness "not matching his talent"... You'd rather have him play passive and pass up the ball every time? DeRozan will (hopefully) not be on this team much longer, and we really need the young players to start stepping up, or try to anyways. These same people complain about Lonnie not being aggressive enough, can't have it both ways. DJ made a clear mistake and a miss, happens, he'll grow from it. Also people trashing Jakob, when he was up against an All-Star center, maybe the best in the league especially at playing inside... Embiid was gonna get his regardless. Lmao at saying LMA would've done a better job, he's soft as and Embiid would've pushed him around and have him spinning. Poeltl needs to learn to not bite on pump fakes, and he had some soft ass calls against him, but he did pretty decently, especially as the only remotely sized player to guard the Sixers' huge lineup. I haven't seen many people mention that, but last night's game was probably as mismatched as they come for this Spurs team, with maybe the Lakers being the worst matchup, and it still came to a 2-point loss. happens.

I came into the game expecting a blowout loss, so I'm not too sad all things considered. The young guys were gritty, athletic, stayed on their man for the most part and played some impressively good defense; everyone complaining should do themselves a favor and go back to watch highlights of this season's earlier matches against the Grizzlies, Sixers, etc. The Spurs were *actually* getting their pushed in there. Now, the team cohesion is different, the effort level is MUCH different, and the team at least has a clear iden y and willingness to fight. Keldon is a big part of that, I'd play him 48 minutes if I could. He seems to get more confident, especially on his shot, every single game, his drives were solid as always, his defense remarkable. For all the the Spurs get on this forum over drafting, they've managed to do it again - Keldon is bound to be a contributor for many years to come. His game just elevates the team, and not a lot of players can do that.

Lastly, I want to talk about that last shot. Poeltl should've yammed that - we can all agree - but I don't think he was expecting that pass at all. After so many games of Derozan taking over and calling his own number, I was expecting more of the same, and I'm sure Jakob was too. Not expecting a pass there is a mistake in itself, but again, we have to look at these games as learning opportunities for next season and beyond. Poeltl has had some pretty impressive outings so far and the Spurs are likely to resign him on a longer-term contract, especially if they ship out LaMarcus this offseason (one can hope), and I'm perfectly okay with that, even though he's never going to be that offensive powerhouse center that everyone wants him to be. I haven't seen the boxscores, but to me he's looking for his own shot more, finishing on floaters and layups after passes which I hadn't seen him do much pre-COVID. I want to see another off-season of working with Timmy, which has already done wonders for his defense.

Oh, yeah, and Weatherspoon was surprisingly solid for his first extended minutes outing. He really needs to stop hesitating when getting the ball at the 3pt line though - a lot of our players need to, actually. I think this is more on coaching than anything else, though. White is the only player I've seen who has understood the way modern NBA is supposed to be played, and bombs it whenever he gets a chance. Hopefully it rubs off on the rest of the guys - we need to have Dejounte, Lonnie, et al taking (and making) those kinds of shots. Especially since, right now, the team is easy enough to defend with a zone, since most of our young guy's games rely on penetration and midrange. I'm not expecting a playoff series win, even if they make the play-in, until they can swith up their scoring methods to accomodate what the defense is giving them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Refreshing as always to come back to ST's cliff-jumping over every loss. I've missed this, tbh.

The biggest mistake DJ made was on the Shake Milton 3. You absolutely have to guard a shooter like him up close, and trust Poeltl to at least try to contest Embiid, especially when a 2 would've just tied it with the last possession belonging to the Spurs. I hope they go over this on film so it doesn't happen again - these are all learning opportunities for our young players, which many people here seem to be forgetting. LOL at people complaining about Dejounte's aggressiveness "not matching his talent"... You'd rather have him play passive and pass up the ball every time? DeRozan will (hopefully) not be on this team much longer, and we really need the young players to start stepping up, or try to anyways. These same people complain about Lonnie not being aggressive enough, can't have it both ways. DJ made a clear mistake and a miss, happens, he'll grow from it. Also people trashing Jakob, when he was up against an All-Star center, maybe the best in the league especially at playing inside... Embiid was gonna get his regardless. Lmao at saying LMA would've done a better job, he's soft as and Embiid would've pushed him around and have him spinning. Poeltl needs to learn to not bite on pump fakes, and he had some soft ass calls against him, but he did pretty decently, especially as the only remotely sized player to guard the Sixers' huge lineup. I haven't seen many people mention that, but last night's game was probably as mismatched as they come for this Spurs team, with maybe the Lakers being the worst matchup, and it still came to a 2-point loss. happens.

I came into the game expecting a blowout loss, so I'm not too sad all things considered. The young guys were gritty, athletic, stayed on their man for the most part and played some impressively good defense; everyone complaining should do themselves a favor and go back to watch highlights of this season's earlier matches against the Grizzlies, Sixers, etc. The Spurs were *actually* getting their pushed in there. Now, the team cohesion is different, the effort level is MUCH different, and the team at least has a clear iden y and willingness to fight. Keldon is a big part of that, I'd play him 48 minutes if I could. He seems to get more confident, especially on his shot, every single game, his drives were solid as always, his defense remarkable. For all the the Spurs get on this forum over drafting, they've managed to do it again - Keldon is bound to be a contributor for many years to come. His game just elevates the team, and not a lot of players can do that.

Lastly, I want to talk about that last shot. Poeltl should've yammed that - we can all agree - but I don't think he was expecting that pass at all. After so many games of Derozan taking over and calling his own number, I was expecting more of the same, and I'm sure Jakob was too. Not expecting a pass there is a mistake in itself, but again, we have to look at these games as learning opportunities for next season and beyond. Poeltl has had some pretty impressive outings so far and the Spurs are likely to resign him on a longer-term contract, especially if they ship out LaMarcus this offseason (one can hope), and I'm perfectly okay with that, even though he's never going to be that offensive powerhouse center that everyone wants him to be. I haven't seen the boxscores, but to me he's looking for his own shot more, finishing on floaters and layups after passes which I hadn't seen him do much pre-COVID. I want to see another off-season of working with Timmy, which has already done wonders for his defense.

Oh, yeah, and Weatherspoon was surprisingly solid for his first extended minutes outing. He really needs to stop hesitating when getting the ball at the 3pt line though - a lot of our players need to, actually. I think this is more on coaching than anything else, though. White is the only player I've seen who has understood the way modern NBA is supposed to be played, and bombs it whenever he gets a chance. Hopefully it rubs off on the rest of the guys - we need to have Dejounte, Lonnie, et al taking (and making) those kinds of shots. Especially since, right now, the team is easy enough to defend with a zone, since most of our young guy's games rely on penetration and midrange. I'm not expecting a playoff series win, even if they make the play-in, until they can swith up their scoring methods to accomodate what the defense is giving them.
    Bull LMA did a masterful Job on Embiid when they blew out the 76ers last year and played him well in the loss they had last year as well they would have won if Rudy Gay wouldn't have kept giving then 4 pt plays. Jakob is no where near the player Aldridge is. when Aldridge had good perimeter defenders around him the Spurs were a top 5 defense. Not to mention Jakob as 0 offensive game stop slurping the guy he's ok but he is no where near the player Aldridge is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It probably hasn't been that long ago but when was the last time the #Spurs have made both FTs to go up either 3 or 4 points in the last seconds of a game?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's true. If everyone was being honest, no one expected the game to be this close. The 76ers strength is our weakness. This should have been a blowout loss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bull LMA did a masterful Job on Embiid when they blew out the 76ers last year and played him well in the loss they had last year as well they would have won if Rudy Gay wouldn't have kept giving then 4 pt plays. Jakob is no where near the player Aldridge is. when Aldridge had good perimeter defenders around him the Spurs were a top 5 defense. Not to mention Jakob as 0 offensive game stop slurping the guy he's ok but he is no where near the player Aldridge is.
    Uh, you might want to check the stats before saying stuff like this. Whilst LMA did a good job on Embiid that blowout game (Embiid had 13/11 on 6-17FG with 0/6 from 3), he was nowhere near as effective in containing the guy the rest of the games; Embiid had a dominant 33/19 the second time they met up, whilst holding LMA to just 13 points, en route to a Sixers win, and then in 2020 he didn't have much trouble in their first outing, posting 21/14 whilst DeMar had to drop 29 and Gay 22 just to keep up, while LMA whined as usual. Of course, box score numbers aren't everything, but I really don't believe the Spurs would've won last night's game with LMA - not only because he's 35 and has visibly fallen off this season on both ends of the floor, not to mention dropping weight which would've hindered him on playing up Embiid, but also because LaMarcus' offense is really stagnant and the opposite of what the Bubble Spurs have been playing. More than LaMarcus playing Embiid well, it's been the other way around; LMA hasn't had good scoring games when the Sixers have met us in recent memory.

Of course, this is not to say that Jakob is an overall better defender or player than LMA, just that yesterday's game wouldn't have been as close had LaMarcus played his usual game. A lot of people have been surprised to see how different the Spurs have been playing in the bubble, and while a big part of it is the young-spearheaded lineups Pop has been using, it's also on the absence of LMA and his ISO-ball game. Jakob is much more of a compliment on offense for the young guys, simply because he doesn't demand the ball to be effective and can better keep up in transition and against smaller guys. He was bad with fouls yesterday, I won't disagree, he needs to learn how to play bigs like Embiid better - but there's other areas to the game besides that. And lol at saying I'm "slurping" Jakob when he's had some good games, instead of the usual -flinging that everyone else on this forum likes to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still wonder why it wasn't reviewed...???

Tom Orsborn
    Tom_orsborn
    15h
    Pop on Embiid's end of 3Q putback not getting waived off for a shot block violation: "It was a very strange cir stance."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still wonder why it wasn't reviewed...???

Tom Orsborn
    Tom_orsborn
    15h
    Pop on Embiid's end of 3Q putback not getting waived off for a shot block violation: "It was a very strange cir stance."
    I'm wondering why he didn't challenge it. Not sure if you can challenge that, but it's annoying that Pop seems to take this stance of not using challenges. He should have his staff be attentive to these type of situations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The traveling call on White was bull too.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just saw the last play replay again on youtube, dang, poetl should have just slammed it.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    is there another angle of poeltl? it looks like he got fouled tbh. but he doesn't complain at all after so maybe he wasn't.

it looks like his right arm got hit down and that's why he put the ball up so softly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The forums are loading super slowly for me. Anyone else?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked and appreciated every bit of Sugus comment, but I think any comparison he made with the team earlier in the season is misplaced since Forbes was such a big part of the team and he changes them for the worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Verry Parkeresque close out for the Deranged Protege of Tony, the Instagram Hooper
    This was hilarious

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's true. If everyone was being honest, no one expected the game to be this close. The 76ers strength is our weakness. This should have been a blowout loss.
    I didn't watch this, I was sick.
    Anyways, I wasn't expecting them to win this bc I expected the Sixers size to give them trouble and they are more talented than the Grizzlies are (whose size was touted as potentially problematic).
    Anyways, I think fans are just upset that whatever the disparity was before then, they had a good shot to win the game at the end. They could have won this. I would probably also be upset had I watched it. Not going to say different. I'd complain etc. It's to be expected. At least now I care, before I was all in for a tankathon and I didn't really care how the season went.
    I agree with you (I think it was you who made that comment) that we have to keep in perspective bottom line for the team the priority is development at this point. I hope that continues to be the case. Of course we always want the team to do well, but if we learn things about some guys and what works with them and what doesn't so much for the better.

Banned
    My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    I didn't watch this, I was sick.
    Anyways, I wasn't expecting them to win this bc I expected the Sixers size to give them trouble and they are more talented than the Grizzlies are (whose size was touted as potentially problematic).
    Anyways, I think fans are just upset that whatever the disparity was before then, they had a good shot to win the game at the end. They could have won this. I would probably also be upset had I watched it. Not going to say different. I'd complain etc. It's to be expected. At least now I care, before I was all in for a tankathon and I didn't really care how the season went.
    I agree with you (I think it was you who made that comment) that we have to keep in perspective bottom line for the team the priority is development at this point. I hope that continues to be the case. Of course we always want the team to do well, but if we learn things about some guys and what works with them and what doesn't so much for the better.
    Spurs would've held on if Kyle was still on the team. He was our best all-around defender. He would've made the read.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakob has been useless on offense today. Really hurting the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong thread

Thread Information