Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I remember about Oden was he looked like he was already 40. The way Ibaka looked 35 when he was supposed to be 25

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but people forget Durant couldn't even bench 180 when he came in the league, so there were questions about him too at the time.
    I sort of doubt he could now, tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not hindsight - I said in 2007 that Durant was on a higher level than Oden, and I was right (not just me, a lot of people). I saw them both play college ball, even though Oden only played a few games due to injury. See, it was already obvious that he would be injury prone before he was drafted, so that's why it was a terrible pick. And it was obvious that Durant would be an offensive superstar. Being a good rebounder and shot blocker doesn't guarantee someone will be an allstar, much less a franchise player.

And of course there's a way Portland wouldn't win a ring. There are countless ways any team could not ring. Portland has experienced many of them.
    I don't think that's fair given a couple factors.

1. Oden's knees derailing his career.
    2. NBA getting way softer favors Durant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

eeeh I don't know if it's softer today

If you watch full games from the 80s 90s you'll see a lot of soft fouls, flopping and whining tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one in the NBA was taking Durant over Oden that draft, Oden was widely considered the best big man prospect since Duncan at the time. And you want to act like Durant was a sure thing when Michael Beasley put up virtually the same college stats in the same conference before flaming out of the league. How was it obvious he was injury prone because of a wrist injury?
    All I'm saying is, I saw both play in college and thought, "I would take Durant and it's not close."

Oden didn't look that great in college. He averaged 15 and 9, good but not amazing. And he had to miss the NCAA tournament, so we didn't even get that large of a sample. So what was anyone basing their opinion on? They probably just got caught up in the "hype" and let that influence their perception.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oden was overhyped. Even without the knee injury, he would be a role player starting center at best. To be fair, that still makes him better than the other "busts" mentioned in the OP. But, if you expected him to be a superstar, he would have technically busted.

When you're 6'10" with Durant's skillset, I don't care what year it is - I'm drafting that guy.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    All I'm saying is, I saw both play in college and thought, "I would take Durant and it's not close."

Oden didn't look that great in college. He averaged 15 and 9, good but not amazing. And he had to miss the NCAA tournament, so we didn't even get that large of a sample. So what was anyone basing their opinion on? They probably just got caught up in the "hype" and let that influence their perception.
    Oden didn’t miss the NCAA tournament, you’re just making stuff up now. Even though his team lost he looked like the most dominant player on the court in the championship game against Florida, he had 25 and 12 against an elite front court in Noah/Horford.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oden didn’t miss the NCAA tournament, you’re just making stuff up now. Even though his team lost he looked like the most dominant player on the court in the championship game against Florida, he had 25 and 12 against an elite front court in Noah/Horford.
    Ah, my mistake. I remember him missing some games due to hand injury - didn't he break his hand? I actually went to the Final Four that year in San Antonio and recall him looking really unimpressive - so much that I forgot he even played

Went to a few UT games that year, and Durant looked amazing.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Ah, my mistake. I remember him missing some games due to hand injury - didn't he break his hand? I actually went to the Final Four that year in San Antonio and recall him looking really unimpressive - so much that I forgot he even played

Went to a few UT games that year, and Durant looked amazing.
    He missed games at the beginning of the season because of the wrist, no injury issues after that though. He had a decent game against Georgetown and a great game against Florida - I remember the final four that year because it was the one season I predicted the final four, championship game and champion correctly

The one thing I think people might have “missed” with Oden is that he never looked totally comfortable on a basketball court the way elite big men did. There was a degree of awkwardness whenever he had the ball in his hands and he didn’t have the coordination that a Duncan or Olajuwon had, and I don’t think that’s unrelated to his injury issues.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oden was overhyped. Even without the knee injury, he would be a role player starting center at best. To be fair, that still makes him better than the other "busts" mentioned in the OP. But, if you expected him to be a superstar, he would have technically busted.

When you're 6'10" with Durant's skillset, I don't care what year it is - I'm drafting that guy.
    Oden looked like his floor was Alonzo Mourning with size and he was a guy NBA scouts had been drooling over for years the same way they did LeBron. He never put up huge stats since he was on minutes restrictions but he was a monster talent and the Blazers were nasty with him on the floor. I don't see how he can be mentioned with the likes of Anthony Bennett who just flat out never belonged on an NBA floor.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    eeeh I don't know if it's softer today

If you watch full games from the 80s 90s you'll see a lot of soft fouls, flopping and whining tbh
    You're better than that.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Disagree. Dude was a beast out there when healthy. Oden just went the way of Ralph Sampson quite fast.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not making a player comparison on soft as much as how the game was played.
    Let's not pretend Lebron ain't getting spa treatment he wouldn't have gotten pre-Stern.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one thing I think people might have “missed” with Oden is that he never looked totally comfortable on a basketball court the way elite big men did. There was a degree of awkwardness whenever he had the ball in his hands and he didn’t have the coordination that a Duncan or Olajuwon had, and I don’t think that’s unrelated to his injury issues.
    Exactly - and that was the total opposite of Durant, who looked like a natural wizard on the court at all times. He played some center in college and could also play shooting guard. This is why I thought it was ridiculous that Oden was ranked above him. And I'm usually one to favor big men over perimeter players, but in this case it was just too clear cut. (And maybe some bias because I'm a Texas fan.)
    Last edited by Arcadian; 08-06-2020 at 01:41 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jimmer

the rest of those guys had injury issues that helped play into them being underwhelming

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes Kenny is insufferable. Telling all that nonsense
    I remember during the playoffs, Kenny came up with a re ed analysis and Barkley told him : "That's your insight????!!!!"

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He who shall not be named.

ing LSU, man. Was all in on the hype train after that Sugar Bowl

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    This. All of this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or:

Rumor: Lonzo Ball looked ‘checked out’ with Pelicans in bubble -->>

Ball will be eligible for a contract extension this offseason. This will be an opportunity for the Pelicans to determine how much they value him. But if they don’t sign him to an extension before next season, they’d still hold control in 2021 restricted free agency.
    Wonder where this world-beater will slink off to next?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If they could have stayed healthy that Roy + Aldridge + Oden team would have been devastating. They were 50-12 in games they played together. Oden was a killer rebounder and shotblocker. He would have been tremendous for matching up against the Lakers and Spurs in that era and no way that trio doesn't ring at least once had they been able to grow together. Easy to pick Durant in hindsight but people forget Durant couldn't even bench 180 when he came in the league, so there were questions about him too at the time.
    Sure ifcyiu believe in fantasies both Oden and Roy were injurycprobe in college just like Sam Bowie before them. Roy eas a good gamble but therecis no way in im taking oden over KD and i said that then so its not revisionist history. Most saw David Robinson 2.0 but he walked funny to me and i knew he would never stay healrhy and that hack Bill Simmons called it too.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure ifcyiu believe in fantasies both Oden and Roy were injurycprobe in college just like Sam Bowie before them. Roy eas a good gamble but therecis no way in im taking oden over KD and i said that then so its not revisionist history. Most saw David Robinson 2.0 but he walked funny to me and i knew he would never stay healrhy and that hack Bill Simmons called it too.
    Oden had a wrist injury, ridiculous to compare that to Sam Bowie who missed two seasons in college before being drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He was also mad ugly yo

Like the only way he’s getting featured on a wheaties (or Slam Duncan 0’s) box is if he wore a mask

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PORTLAND loves deja vu

Pass on MJ for big Bowie who was always hurt
    Pass on Durant for big Oden who was always hurt

Thread Information