Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But instead... we got a European player with bricks as feet. This guy runs like it hurts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh lort. Smh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was against the Luka pick as much as most but at least we hit with Keldon, just gotta hope Luka puts in work and figures it out eventually

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Say what you want about Luka but slow is not one of them. If you want to say he is lazy or needs to put more effort/aggressiveness, fine. Mentioned it before but if that is an issue with him they should have Diaw talk to him. A player who realized he needed to be more aggressive after the '13 Finals with how close the series was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This again?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you would have us take Mr. X at #19 rather than Luka (I agree he sucks).

If so, whoever actually took Mr. X (as it turned out in reality) instead takes Keldon Johnson. And the Spurs don't get KJ at #29.

So would you rather have Mr. X or KJ? (Based on the Mr. Xs you all have proposed, I'd rather have KJ.)

Be careful what you wish for and always consider unintended collateral consequences.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand the reasoning for passing on Clarke and Thybulle(both older rookies) but Bazley is actually younger than Luka and already much better than him. I think Buford had blinders on and went against all reason to draft Sam, someone he'd been scouting for years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka sucks we all know this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If so, whoever actually took Mr. X (as it turned out in reality) instead takes Keldon Johnson. And the Spurs don't get KJ at #29.

So would you rather have Mr. X or KJ? (Based on the Mr. Xs you all have proposed, I'd rather have KJ.)

Be careful what you wish for and always consider unintended collateral consequences.
    I agree with this. Why can't people endlessly complaining about Luka on every single thread, not pretend like we took Keldon at #19? He's looking like the steal of the draft and probably would've still been a steal at #19. Some people just love to hate things...

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But instead... we got a European player with bricks as feet. This guy runs like it hurts.
    We're on the verge of going 6-2...

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

28 FO's passed on Keldon before the Spurs. You're saying that if the Spurs took Thybulle at 19, and Sammich stayed on the board, someone between 20 and 28 would have automatically fallen in love with KJ? That also means that Sammich would have fallen to 29 or later, if the Spurs hadn't picked him at 19.

Gotta watch out for those unintended consequences.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with this. Why can't people endlessly complaining about Luka on every single thread, not pretend like we took Keldon at #19? He's looking like the steal of the draft and probably would've still been a steal at #19. Some people just love to hate things...

No... some people love to hate an FO that gives ty contracts to Pau and Patty, and extends people early. Hating on them for drafting Sammich is just a bonus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So let's take this a bit further. Say that you go back in time to redraft for the Spurs. Because you don't want to miss out on Johnson, you go ahead and take him at 19. Somehow the draft goes exactly as it had before, so Luka is there at 29. Is he still the guy? Certainly, he's a justifiable pick there. He'd be a high-upside dude making peanuts locked in for four years. With most of the other PFs off the board, maybe... For me Sam wouldn't be my guy. I really liked last year's center class, and at 29. Claxton and Fernando were still on the board. Roby was still on board as well, and I was a huge fan of his last year.

Here are their stats for this season:

Hasn't worked out for any of those guys so far either. Only Fernando has played more than 200 minutes (and that's with the other three players being on bubble teams). He has good rate stats but his foul prone and seems to be an awful defender. Roby was traded and doesn't see any time. Claxton is stuck behind other centers.

So yeah, right now, if you imagine Johnson as 19, there isn't a ton to complain about. Maybe one of those guys breaks out and becomes way better than Sam. My money would be on Claxton, but it's not like he doesn't have his problems as well. Regardless, Sam is doing okay for a 29th pick. Only three players drafted below him earned more than one win-share this year, and only one of those guys did it with good rate stats. So maybe the Spurs should've drafted Daniel Gafford over Samanic at 29? Maybe. We'll have to see how he develops. He didn't light the world on fire, but he was a solid role-playing backup big. Nothing to sneeze at, but he was also basically Drew Eubanks with a tan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No... some people love to hate an FO that gives ty contracts to Pau and Patty, and extends people early. Hating on them for drafting Sammich is just a bonus.
    Hating on Samanic as a pick, when he hasn't finished his rookie season and was drafted expressly to be a project (whether the Spurs should or shouldn't have done that is a different debate entirely), is ridiculous. And hitting the lottery with Keldon in the very same draft, is already much more of a "make-up" than can be asked for. There literally wouldn't be any issue if the Spurs had drafted the same two players, with the pick # switched, and yet people moan to and back that the Spurs aren't pulling Kawhi's out of a 19th pick. I don't know, maybe people truly find enjoyment in hating, even preemptively and before seeing things pan out.

The Pau and Patty contracts were bad, though, btw. Luckily people aren't making new threads about them now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too quick to judge. He got the footwork and quickness for his size. Once he gets his confidence, he will surprise a lot of fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darius Bazely seemed like a good pick too but I think Spurs like Luka because Luka likes the Spurs. He is a foreigner who seems like it will take a few years for him to get comfortable in SA, let alone any other big city in the US and NBA basketball. He seems like a guy who would stay loyal should things pan out which is the only way the Spurs can win a championship again.
    Their consistent rejections from every free agent class would probably confirm that to them. Players in general baulk at living in SA still I'm sure. Hopefully that can change in 5 years with the crazy growth TX in general is seeing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seeing Luka play in the NBA he has looked like a bust but i dug up some of his g-league highlights recently and i can see his potential and why the Spurs took the gamble on him. He has the tools to be a really good player especially if he increases his strength.

Luka actually has a pretty crafty rather unpredictable game when he is focused and into it, can take it to the basket and shoot 3's. He just seems lost when he is playing with the big boys for some reason. I think with a little confidence and some added mass he can be a great player for us in the future. At least time is on his side, its all on him now to take the next step.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We could have used Aldridge. He would have finished that play against Philly that Poeltl flubbed, and we’d have the play in locked with a win today.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We could have used Aldridge. He would have finished that play against Philly that Poeltl flubbed, and we’d have the play in locked with a win today.
    Aldridge could have won games for the Spurs all season long. But he didn‘t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasted pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if we're lucky, Luka becomes Trey Lyles one day

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to be fair most people wanted Nassir Little at 19 at the time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seeing Luka play in the NBA he has looked like a bust but i dug up some of his g-league highlights recently and i can see his potential and why the Spurs took the gamble on him. He has the tools to be a really good player especially if he increases his strength.

Luka actually has a pretty crafty rather unpredictable game when he is focused and into it, can take it to the basket and shoot 3's. He just seems lost when he is playing with the big boys for some reason. I think with a little confidence and some added mass he can be a great player for us in the future. At least time is on his side, its all on him now to take the next step.

I agree with this statement.

I’ve seen him play live at cedar park a couple of times and like stated above it’s obvious why the Spurs drafted him. The big thing that bothers me though is the same knocks he had on him coming into the draft are still there. I get it’s going to take time to get better but it does seem like his motor isn’t the best or he kinda gives up easy if stuff isn’t going his way. He did get better in the G-League as the season progressed though. The reason his numbers looks so bad is he started off rough

we will see if he gets better though. He definitely needs to get more muscle mass and strength but he also needs to play harder on both sides of the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to be fair most people wanted Nassir Little at 19 at the time
    yeah I remember wanting little

hows he been? Isn’t he on the blazers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure thing. Just glad the Spurs had pick 29 last summer and got Johnson there.

Otherwise, I think a lot more people would be complaining about their choice for 19th.

Thread Information