Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In these last two games, Q has contributed more than Lonnie has

Both KJ and QW look better than Lonnie does right now.

I don't know what happened to him...he has all the tools to succeed, but doesn't seem to really want to assert himself out there.

It was one thing to hide behind LMA, DDR, and Gay as the "veterans"...but he literally just stands in the corner most of the time and plays timid defense. That's not on Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's actually quite amazing how Pop has managed to get a bunch of 20-25 year olds in their athletic prime to play like 15 year veterans on their last legs

It's so frustratingly clear that he has no idea how to coach athleticism at his age. Just swinging it around the perimeter looking for "good to great", so ing depressing.
    Man, you really are the stupidest poster (or tied) on ST.

The Nuggets have the bigger, more skilled & athletic team, idiot. How the is Pop's "coaching 25 yrs old to be 30+" (which makes no ing sense) gonna compensate for those glaring disparities.

That's right, you'll just say some stupid, inane, trolling comment with no substance attacking a guy that has done more than you (as a coach) on his worst day.

Please, respond with your nonsense in three, two, one........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't Poodle supposed to be athletic? Why's he playing like a WNBA player on offense?
    No, he isn't or "wasn't." His game has always been more floor based and similar (to a shocking degree) to Tiago Splitter. Only problem is there isn't a Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili or Tony Parker for Jakob to play off of or set him up.

He's killing his market value with these pedestrian performances, so that could help the team out in keeping him if they decide to.

Imagine if Lonnie was playing with the assertiveness of Keldon Johnson or Michael Porter Jr. (who is playing on another level)? Hopefully these are just the growing pains of youth - similar to Derrick earlier in the season - and not indicative of Lonnie's "regular" on-court demeanor.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 08-05-2020 at 06:52 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine gifting the Raptors a championship and Jakob was the only young guy you get from their roster

Hopefully Keldon becomes a superstar lmao
    They really wanted him too. Just an overall poor evaluation from the front office. Yes, I understand Nephew was pressuring and lowering his stock but damn they really screwed that trade up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To one extent, you can perfectly say Lonnie hasn't been capitalizing on his opportunities. At some point, it's clear he just hasn't put it all together... The tools are there at his disposal, he gets to the rim with ease, even dunks or finishes powerfully when he can, but there's no consistency, no urgency, no sense of "putting the team on your back" that Keldon for example oozes. On the other hand, at some point, you can't ignore that coach Pop and others just haven't been maximizing his opportunities; he stands in the corner all game, one game, that's on him. He's been standing in the corner, waiting for passes that seldom come, all season long by now - even before the bubble. I'm sure I could find my own comments saying exactly these sentences if I bothered to look. At what point do you go over this in film sessions and just tell the guy that it's not the way he's expected to be playing? Or maybe, more likely to me at least, that *is* the way they want him to be playing? There was a stark difference in the way Lonnie played during the scrimmages, particularly the last one IIRC. He was doing a nice two-man game with Poeltl, trying slick passes, finding Keldon in transition. That kind of stuff doesn't just dissappear on accident. I don't care to point fingers at one or the other like ST is so enamored with doing - the problem is there, and needs fixing. But I'm not too worried just yet, not only because we have seen him play better, but also because of his age (though of course that's an excuse that only gets you so far).

I was disappointed in most Spurs today, or the Spurs as a whole to be honest. Ball movement was small to non-existant, the few passes that were tried rarely led to open looks (that pass to a wide open DJ at the corner, refusing to shoot to pass to a wide open DeMar at the wing, who AGAIN refuses to shoot only to pass to White with the shot clock winding down and a defender near, is stuck in my head). Very different from what we've been seeing so far, might've been because of the Nuggets' size and lengthy defenders, but also due to poor execution. There's a very noticeable switch in the game plan the second either Rudy or DeMar decide to take the scoring up to themselves - it kind of looks like they're the "designated leaders" of the team, and the rest of the guys just let them go at it, no matter how stupid the shots they're chucking are. Can someone, anyone, tell Rudy ing Gay to stop those stupid ass shots? You all know the ones I'm talking about. Just old vet dogs going back to their old vet tricks. I want none of that on the Spurs of the future, that's not winning basketball unless you're a top 10 player in the league and have the ability to compensate your chucking with a good enough percentage of makes, something neither Rudy nor DeMar can do at this point of their careers (DeMar is fine when he takes over in the 4th, I think it's a role the team needs, but he overdoes it most times).

I wasn't too harsh on Poeltl last game but he let me down today. Just wasn't up to par on either side; soft finishing, stupid floaters, subpar positioning and defense, very lacking rebounding especially on easy defensive boards, seldom box-outs. Many posters have already said this, but he's playing his way into a small contract, at the worst possible time to be doing that, with the cap staying flat or even going down and his player archetype not being valued in today's league. Sucks for him, but I like him enough as a player to think that the Spurs should take advantage and still keep him long term. I definitely have my doubts on whether he can start on a good, let alone championship-contending, team someday, though.

I'll say what I said last game though - the Spurs' individual players shouldn't be judged in absolutes as a result of these bubble games. The roster is just awfully constructed, and further brought down by injuries that force the team to play nothing but small-ball. It's no coincidence that the last two games, against really big teams, they've struggled on defense, rebounding. They sure as don't have the firepower to make small-ball work against these kinds of teams like the Rockets do. The Spurs need to make some trades and/or acquire some front court talent this off-season, because if they don't, even if the strategy for next year is tanking/development (which I'd be fine with and the team evidently needs), they won't be able to make their guards shine. A true 4 is a priority, a 3-4 or 4-5 shooting hybrid the dream. Once again I'm dreaming of Precious Achiuwa if the Spurs don't move up into the lottery, IMO he's everything we're lacking right now, and would go a long ways to make this team at least presentable and not abused night in, night out.

Lastly, people, stop cliff jumping... Remember we're playing on house's money right now. Maybe the two early wins got some people too excited (I myself was one), but we have to remember the goal was never truly the playoffs. At the end of the day, as embarrasing as it may be, the Suns leapfrogging us is the best outcome we should hope for - not only for the 10th seed, but for the added % chance of moving into the top 4. Don't miss the long-term goal for short-term satisfaction. GSG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm, muy interesante tweet from Lonnie.

Sounds like his dad told him what ST is saying about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both KJ and QW look better than Lonnie does right now.

I don't know what happened to him...he has all the tools to succeed, but doesn't seem to really want to assert himself out there.

It was one thing to hide behind LMA, DDR, and Gay as the "veterans"...but he literally just stands in the corner most of the time and plays timid defense. That's not on Pop.
    It's two things:

First one is what everyone knows already. He's not a physical player. That doesnt come natural for him. Whether because of PTSD from his injuries or he just doesnt like being bumped, who knows. Best we can hope for is to watch CJ McCollum or Rip Hamilton to maximize his ability. Hes not going to turn into Dwyane Wade... Wade was a very physical player. His athleticism is for flashy dunks when hes all by himself only.

Second, his ball handling. He passes it off because hes not confident he can break down his defender. Thats why he sucks at half court. He should just focus on his strength and learn to move off the ball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakob is not playing to get that new contract, even Drew managed his way to 12 points. Jakob had 2 in 26 minutes. if he cant consistently score, and if Drew finds consistency, can Jakob be our backup center? Jakobs qualifying offer is 5 million, I really think thats the best he will do in the offseason. as far as Lonnie, he started with 2 buckets then the starters got pulled, maybe he has a different game if that doesnt happen. but he does need to not hesitate or be indecisive. he still managed 9 points. on to murray, everyone knows he wants to be great, plays with a swag, but he doesnt have a good feel for the game. is wildly inconsistent, doesnt make his teammates better, hasnt had much impact defensively either. spurs have to decide what to do with him, im good if he stays or goes. if he stays though, gotta be really patient with him...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a long-time believer in Murray, I'll admit I'm disappointed in his recent play and he definitely has a lot of work to do in the offseason. Still gotta hope for the best, of course. KeLDoN is definitely looking like a legit contributor, though and am so thankful we got him with the 29th pick!
    Always told you son: White >> Murray.

DJM just isn't very talented nor smart. Killer combination. He has some physical attributes that make him playable, but he won't ever amount to much.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always told you son: White >> Murray.

DJM just isn't very talented nor smart. Killer combination. He has some physical attributes that make him playable, but he won't ever amount to much.
    Spot on. The contract was a mistake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So long to the Spurs playoff hopes...

Even if we make the 9th seed, we aren't beating the same team twice in a row.
    There are only 8 seeds.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Lonnie Walker III putting in work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What happens to our draft capital if all three of the Kings, Pels, and Suns pass us? Do we get the 10th pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What happens to our draft capital if all three of the Kings, Pels, and Suns pass us? Do we get the 10th pick?
    As far as I'm aware, everyone who doesn't make the playoffs has their record for the draft reverted to pre-COVID state, with the exception of the team that does make the POs, which would leapfrog those other teams. So we could potentially get the 10th seed, if I'm not mistaken... Or jump into the top-4, of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't always have to be about you . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are only 8 seeds.
    You apparently haven’t been paying attention to how the NBA restart works, so I’ll give you some time to catch up and figure it out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol yea when i read his comment i had to face palm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's actually quite amazing how Pop has managed to get a bunch of 20-25 year olds in their athletic prime to play like 15 year veterans on their last legs

It's so frustratingly clear that he has no idea how to coach athleticism at his age. Just swinging it around the perimeter looking for "good to great", so ing depressing.

you're so stupid though...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't catch the game. Apparently giving up 43 in the 4th was the killer though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wheres ragas to defend poodle power
    Not much to defend today. He was bad, really bad, on offense. Don't know what's wrong with him - RFA; not in game-shape; is he anxious to be more aggressive, because of the bad whistle he got against Memphis & Piladelphia? He can do better. He already did, but he also needs more time like the other Spurs young players.

On defense he was okay. Jokic didn't score on him so much. MJP did most of the damage, when he was on the floor. Spurs were too small as a team to handle MJP, Millsap & Jokic and you can't demand from Poeltl to defend all of them. Would have been nice to have Lyles available.

He surely did nothing good for him today regarding his RFA. I hope he can come back strong.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl-Interview with an Austrian outlet. He wasn't that happy with his performance.

About the game:
    "It was a close game, but we couldn't control the rebound and couldn't hit our shots in the 4th quarter."

About his performance:
    "Solid on defense, but I couldn't finish my shots today. I couldn't find my rhythm. I'm expecting more from me."

About the Spurs playoff chances:
    "There's no more room for mistakes. We have to play each game with 100% energy. I hope we can show that against Utah and win the game."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're so stupid though...
    They hate us, cuz they ain't us Nono.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im still enjoying this version of the spurs much better than the early season. i'm seeing more tenacity and hunger. unfortunately we see a lot of "rookie" type mistakes by a lot of players, not just the young ones.

but lets hope we can go at least 3-1 in these last 4 games

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    blazers v nuggets today.

Thread Information