Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody wants his contract. He's not a starting PG. He's a backup combo guard. He's the replacement for Patty as our overpaid bench) reserve positionless guard. What's really great is that we have another year of Patty too.

That said, his contract isn't some albatross that we need to package with real assets to unload.

Priority needs to be finding a real starter caliber PG with a 3 ball and high BBIQ.
    Then you feature Murray off the bench and hope he grows into the role well enough to entice GMs a la George Hill.
    They already have that with DWhite tbh. Priority is finding a 3/4 combo IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is feeling the pressure and forces things rather than having the game come to him. He is trying too hard and unfortunately the self imposed role of enforcer does not feel natural to his game and right now makes him look worse than what he is. He needs to chill.
    Pop needs to take the ball off his hands. Make White the PG with DeRozan as the main playmaker. Murray should stay on the wings waiting for kick outs to either take a spot up Jumper or attack the basket with an unbalanced defense. It would simplify the game for him.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop needs to take the ball off his hands. Make White the PG with DeRozan as the main playmaker. Murray should stay on the wings waiting for kick outs to either take a spot up Jumper or attack the basket with an unbalanced defense. It would simplify the game for him.
    murray should be on a training court practicing his 3s or at home watching some oscsr robertson/magic johnson plays to learn playmaking

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hear you. Irrespective of position, it just appears that he is trying to make an all star play every time he touches the ball rather than just share it here and there and allow for the game to flow and engage his game naturally as a result. He is beating himself up by applying the wrong mindset. He is his own worst enemy right now.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How our expectations have fallen? they really could use Trey Lyles out there .. lol

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How our standards have fallen? they really could use Trey Lyles out there .. lol

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Double

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. He's one of the young guys. He brings length that we don't have. All season he was one of our top rebounders and if u focus on his play before the hiatus he was becoming a solid double, double machine for us. This his first year and he was showing why he was drafted so high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop doesn't know about bringing up a point guard. I still say he ruined Tony Parker's career in the beginning. He made Parker into what he wanted, which is a damn good PG to be sure, but imagine if Pop let Parker run loose and play more fast break early on. I think that's part of why we in such a rut offensively in the early 2000's, if anyone remembers us winning games like 78-74 or 82-80. Pop didn't really know how to run an offense back then, he just gave the ball to Duncan and it worked, I'm not hating on that philosophy at all, but it wasn't exactly good for Tony Parker.

To Pop's credit however, he spent literally all of last year giving Murray tape to watch, letting him call plays, sitting in on coaches meetings. Murray had one year of uninterrupted time to learn the offense and he still looks completely lost. Pop did ruin Murray's defense though simply by playing Forbes. He made Murray run around like a chicken without a head covering for Forbes. He made Murray constantly look over his shoulder at his teammates defender instead of his. Murray forgot how to play 1v1 defense because he didn't play any all year long. It ruined Murray's instincts and made him feel like he had to take all sorts of gambles on defense since they were going to score on Forbes anyways. It also affected his zone defense because like I said, Forbes can't guard in any type of D and Murray was covering for him in zone as well.

But DJ can't dribble. he can't penetrate defenses consistently, and he can't shoot the 3. He needs to be able to do 1 of the 3 if he wants to stay on the team. I prefer he picks up the latter. Because if he could shoot VOLUME 3's at 37-39% then our offense would be amazing and he would be a perfect fit in our system. Let Derrick run the show, he kicks out to DJ who now has a credible jumper and the opponent must close out fast to contest, and he can now pump fake and get to the lane easier with a shaky handle. I said this in the beginning of the season, If Murray and White weren't shooting 4-5 threes a game, then this was a waste of a season. White caught on. Murray needs to join the program or adios. Good luck in NY

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klutch Sports let Dejounte sign a 16m per year contract, when Jamal Murray got 34m and D'Angelo Russell 29m per year. Even Terry Rozier earns 19m. There has to be a reason for the "discount". Think about that.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop doesn't know about bringing up a point guard. I still say he ruined Tony Parker's career in the beginning. He made Parker into what he wanted, which is a damn good PG to be sure, but imagine if Pop let Parker run loose and play more fast break early on. I think that's part of why we in such a rut offensively in the early 2000's, if anyone remembers us winning games like 78-74 or 82-80. Pop didn't really know how to run an offense back then, he just gave the ball to Duncan and it worked, I'm not hating on that philosophy at all, but it wasn't exactly good for Tony Parker.

To Pop's credit however, he spent literally all of last year giving Murray tape to watch, letting him call plays, sitting in on coaches meetings. Murray had one year of uninterrupted time to learn the offense and he still looks completely lost. Pop did ruin Murray's defense though simply by playing Forbes. He made Murray run around like a chicken without a head covering for Forbes. He made Murray constantly look over his shoulder at his teammates defender instead of his. Murray forgot how to play 1v1 defense because he didn't play any all year long. It ruined Murray's instincts and made him feel like he had to take all sorts of gambles on defense since they were going to score on Forbes anyways. It also affected his zone defense because like I said, Forbes can't guard in any type of D and Murray was covering for him in zone as well.

But DJ can't dribble. he can't penetrate defenses consistently, and he can't shoot the 3. He needs to be able to do 1 of the 3 if he wants to stay on the team. I prefer he picks up the latter. Because if he could shoot VOLUME 3's at 37-39% then our offense would be amazing and he would be a perfect fit in our system. Let Derrick run the show, he kicks out to DJ who now has a credible jumper and the opponent must close out fast to contest, and he can now pump fake and get to the lane easier with a shaky handle. I said this in the beginning of the season, If Murray and White weren't shooting 4-5 threes a game, then this was a waste of a season. White caught on. Murray needs to join the program or adios. Good luck in NY
    To be fair, White only caught on to the need to shoot 3s like a week ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not defending DJ when I say this, but I think people forget how badly run our offense looked when it was led by Corey Joseph or Patty Mills. Especially Patty Mills. ing hated Patty with a passion two or three years ago. Hes bearable now because he comes in short bursts and doesnt miss everything.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker and Johnson could both have higher upside than Murray, and are cost controlled for two and three more years, each. And are two and three years younger, respectively.

White is older, but a much more complete player. He’s going to get paid this offseason.

This period is really an experiment to see how these guys all gel together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White can definitely do those things. But he's not really a natural PG and I like him more at the 2.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a lot of people on this forum saying that DJM is not true PG but Pop has said that there is no such position on the current Spurs team and with the current roster that is correct and there's nothing wrong with it. It's okay to have multiple players whom can somewhat handle the rock and initiate the offense in DJM, White, LW4, Mills and QW. As for DJM, in his 1st year with the Spurs he didn't get much playing time like all the other young players on the team. In his second year he earned 2nd team all defense award and we saw him as a potential 15-8-8 player with great D and could possibly gaurd the 1-3 position which is awesome. Then in year 3 the very bad season injury happened that ended his season before it even started. 4th year on minutes restrictions and trying to acclimate with the starting lineup and 1st year really starting to start the season. Give the man at least another full season to show that he can be a big part of this team moving forward. By the time he's 26 years old barring any major injuries, I feel that he will be that 15-8-8 guy and accomplishing more triple doubles than any current or past Spur player. The Spurs best player in 2 to 3 years will be KJ like I've mentioned a few times before but DJM will be a big part to the Spurs puzzle moving forward along with White and Poeltl. I really like LW4 as well but not sure if the Spurs will be able to pay all 5 in the coming years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klutch Sports let Dejounte sign a 16m per year contract, when Jamal Murray got 34m and D'Angelo Russell 29m per year. Even Terry Rozier earns 19m. There has to be a reason for the "discount". Think about that.
    He not very good, and was coming off a catastrophic injury. That’s why they signed at a discount.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White can definitely do those things. But he's not really a natural PG and I like him more at the 2.
    He’s a far better PG or distributor, or whatever you want to call it than DJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When do you think your idol gawd coach will recognize this?
    Ever?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ppl comparing white to DJ... LMFAO! White is a whole 2 years older, not to mention DJ missed an entire year of development... Two years ago this whole forum was saying White was trash... Lolol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure "this forum" was you and a couple of other Murray stans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need a veteran pg to work with Murray. He's way too limited to pencil as a guaranteed starter and younger guys are very hungry for his minutes.

Pop wanted to design a run first offense for him, but we have enough guards to do that. And you still need bb iq for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this. Put him in the Danny Green role. He’s too loose with the ball, but has better handles and midrange game than Danny. The focus has to be his 3-point shooting

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

white / keldon / middleton / la / lopez

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It just hit me that we could have traded Aldridge and Murray for TJ Warren, when he was still with the Suns.

Thread Information