Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White doesn't need to be the one replacing Murray. This whole offense would look a lot better if White stays in his current mode of attacking / scoring and if Murray was competent. Replace Murray with Q and White can maintain his current role. We dont need or want White to do everything. What I think this team's goal is to be a hydra, with players from every position who can attack and score. Q already looks like he can score, defend, and shoot 3s.
    In game 2, White had 7 assts and ZERO turnovers. He'll be the PG. He's a better creator AND a better scorer than DJ right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In game 2, White had 7 assts and ZERO turnovers. He'll be the PG.
    Sure, and he did it as the secondary guard. Not sure why people are so adamant as making him do everything. He can / is already a player who is being utilized to his greatest strengths... And thats to be a scorer. Hes already taking enough physical punishment on defense and you want him to be the defacto handler on offense too?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, and he did it as the secondary guard. Not sure why people are so adamant as making him do everything. He can / is already a player who is being utilized to his greatest strengths... And thats to be a scorer. Hes already taking enough physical punishment on defense and you want him to be the defacto handler on offense too?
    why not? reminds me of a guy named kyle lowry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having multiple ball handlers on this team has been the team's philosophy. I dont think it was the team's intention to have all ball handlers from 1 to 4. They went overboard with that due to personnel. Once DeMar is shipped out, 1 to 3 positions will be perimeter players who will all attack the defense from various angles. No one player needs to be the lead guard. It will keep the opposing team guessing and on their feet of which player is going to initiate the offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why not? reminds me of a guy named kyle lowry.
    Even Kyle Lowry hasnt been the lead guard. Fred Van Vleet shares those duties. This is the new age NBA. The PG role is now divided among players. Its no longer a singular role.

In the Raptors' latest game, Lowry AND Fred each had 10 assists

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having multiple ball handlers on this team has been the team's philosophy. I dont think it was the team's intention to have all ball handlers from 1 to 4. They went overboard with that due to personnel. Once DeMar is shipped out, 1 to 3 positions will be perimeter players who will all attack the defense from various angles. No one player needs to be the lead guard. It will keep the opposing team guessing and on their feet of which player is going to initiate the offense.
    even if thats the philosophy murray is unnecessary, he cant dribble, pass and shoot. Why the heck they gave him 60mil/4yr

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even if thats the philosophy murray is unnecessary, he cant dribble, pass and shoot. Why the heck they gave him 60mil/4yr
    Im not disagreeing with you that he has been disappointing, in fact, I'm still holding out hope that he wakes up. The point I'm just trying to make is that it doesn't need to be White who replaces him nor does it have to be someone we have to waste a draft pick on (we have Q). In fact, if we draft a point forward (like Deni) then whoever we replace Dejounte with doesn't need to even be that great, they just need to be solid. , keeping DJ wouldnt be that bad after drafting Deni.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , even Lonnie could potentially replace Dejounte since he is so invisible and useless without the ball in his hands...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Q, and feel that he will have a role on this team, but White is a better distributor and scorer than him, too.

There was a video on White after he was drafted, and they talked to his HS coach. He said that he didn’t understand Derrick’s game, and it took a while to realize that he needed to just put the ball in Derricks hands. He also noted that he watched the same thing happen at UCCS and UC, as their coaches have the same realization. It’s just Pops turn.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im not disagreeing with you that he has been disappointing, in fact, I'm still holding out hope that he wakes up. The point I'm just trying to make is that it doesn't need to be White who replaces him nor does it have to be someone we have to waste a draft pick on (we have Q). In fact, if we draft a point forward (like Deni) then whoever we replace Dejounte with doesn't need to even be that great, they just need to be solid. , keeping DJ wouldnt be that bad after drafting Deni.
    ok but if we replace murray isnt it too much (15-17mil per yr) to keep on a bench?? if he was much cheaper id be ok him to stay and hope that maybe some day he will be worth that kind of maney but now... it makes him terrible player to keep, especially when spurs tryna to rebuild and he just doesnt fit in any way

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ok but if we replace murray isnt it too much (15-17mil per yr) to keep on a bench?? if he was much cheaper id be ok him to stay and hope that maybe some day he will be worth that kind of maney but now... it makes him terrible player to keep, especially when spurs tryna to rebuild and he just doesnt fit in any way
    I'm not saying I dont want to trade him. People worry about our return but I'm more worried about how our team will react.

People downplay his leadership but losing someone you've worked with for several years could impact your view of the organization.

He has apparently developed a close friendship with Keldon.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 08-06-2020 at 09:37 AM.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying I dont want to trade him. People worry about our return but I'm more worried about how our team will react.

People downplay his leadership but losing someone you've worked with for several years could impact your view of the organization.

He has apparently developed a close friendship with Keldon.
    sort of agree, thats the only cons of trading him. Hes the guy that are close to each other teammates, have a great relationship with lonnie and keldon etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Q, and feel that he will have a role on this team, but White is a better distributor and scorer than him, too.

There was a video on White after he was drafted, and they talked to his HS coach. He said that he didn’t understand Derrick’s game, and it took a while to realize that he needed to just put the ball in Derricks hands. He also noted that he watched the same thing happen at UCCS and UC, as their coaches have the same realization. It’s just Pops turn.
    So that should be happening any time now, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sort of agree, thats the only cons of trading him. Hes the guy that are close to each other teammates, have a great relationship with lonnie and keldon etc.
    Think about it this way--

A team has to exhibit loyalty if they expect loyalty in return.

We are finally inching towards a brotherhood within our players, and we want to go away from that? This is the new NBA, its all about unity. With a high turnover, you can't achieve that.

People have to think about the internal factors, not just the external.

If the asshole #2 maybe had a friend or two on his team, maybe he would have stayed. Instead, those teams had cliques and every time he was forming a bond, we got rid of his friends. Granted, they sucked... (J Simms and Dedmon)

Would you rather win with your brothers or win with a bunch of randoms and develop a prima donna at ude and start thinking you can do it on any team?

We want stars to stay, not go...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His pullup jumper looks great & his 3 ball looks decent too - he just needs to shoot it more so he can attack when defenses close out harder to him. The thing will be him understanding he's never going to be an iso guy because he doesn't have explosive speed (or even a quick first step) nor the strength to get what he wants 1 on 1.
    I’ve wondered if he lost half a step as the result of the injury. He had a horrible handle when he came in the league. As high as the dribble is now and as awkward as it can look, he was TO prone and couldn’t really shoot bc it took him time to gather, but one thing he did have was a quick step that allowed him to blow by someone with ease if only his dribble skill was good enough. Then he was stick thin and always end up putting up a weird floater.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's insane to think of the contract this bit player received based on nothing. On his own, he won't fetch much, but if Aldridge or DeRozan can return a pick (something like Aldridge for Olynyk and 23), they could add it to 11 to try to get to 5.
    You can't trade 1st rounders in consecutive years. Miami's pick isn't available.

They wouldn't want that awful deal anyway.
    Last edited by TimDunkem; 08-06-2020 at 10:22 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a huge chasm between White's point guard ability and Murray's. I doubt Murray would be in the NBA if he wasn't as athletically gifted as he is, because he doesn't possess an NBA level skillset at this point. And unfortunately, court vision and the ability to create normally are innate, and not easily taught.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^ That being said, he still can learn to be a contributor, but I think he's out of position at the point.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think about it this way--

A team has to exhibit loyalty if they expect loyalty in return.

We are finally inching towards a brotherhood within our players, and we want to go away from that? This is the new NBA, its all about unity. With a high turnover, you can't achieve that.

People have to think about the internal factors, not just the external.

If the asshole #2 maybe had a friend or two on his team, maybe he would have stayed. Instead, those teams had cliques and every time he was forming a bond, we got rid of his friends. Granted, they sucked... (J Simms and Dedmon)

Would you rather win with your brothers or win with a bunch of randoms and develop a prima donna at ude and start thinking you can do it on any team?

We want stars to stay, not go...
    obviously id prefer to win with brothers and i do understand that for the spurs loyalty is very important bc for example small market. But givin a guy 60mil u kind of expect him to play at least above the average. Instead of this u got a guy who almost not improving and does not fit in any system and any position. Im really afraid for what contract will be asking white and next keldon if we gave such a big contract for a much worse murray. That probably will cause a conflicts and another overpaid players or another losing players

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's weird, but the Spurs should consider trading Murray, young talent that he is. Eventually you have to pay everyone that you want to keep. Obviously, they need to keep White. But they can't max him out and Walker and Murray. That's too much money for young players that may not pan out in the long run. White is better than Murray and so they should get rid of Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've said it since the beginning, DJ reminds me of his mentor Jamal Crawford with better defense. I've always seen Murray as a 6th man of sorts. I don't think he should be a starter or paid like one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White isn't getting maxed. Especially not Walker... Wtf? Walker has shown nothing to deserve anything.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't think he improved much. I was high on him, but he looks lost.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've said it since the beginning, DJ reminds me of his mentor Jamal Crawford with better defense. I've always seen Murray as a 6th man of sorts. I don't think he should be a starter or paid like one.
    Yikes. Crawford was a good ball handler and a great shooter. If Murray was as good as him, I'd be all for keeping him, but I don't think he is unfortunately.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White isn't getting maxed. Especially not Walker... Wtf? Walker has shown nothing to deserve anything.
    I don't know what White is getting paid, but he's the best young player on this team, so he's getting paid what is needed to keep him. That I guarantee. If it will require max money given what he is en led to, he will get max money. He is showing he is worth it. As to Walker, he hasn't shown anything yet, but he's only got one year in the NBA (last year doesn't count). So by year three, if he radically improves, which is entirely possible, then the Spurs will need to pay him. Murray's skill set isn't bad, but he isn't the athlete or the shooter Walker and White are and White is a more capable point guard from what I've seen. That means the Spurs will have needs at other positions and Murray is an inferior duplicative. I don't think Murray is a waste. I think he could be a good NBA player, but White makes him expendable.

Thread Information