Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs really want to shake things up, the best time would be next summer when a bunch of big deals roll off the books. Especially because Giannis will be a free agent. That's a chance you have to take. If he signs an extension before then the Spurs can switch gears.

With deals being shorter, salary-dump trades are generally less enticing for teams, so I don't see the big expiring deals being desirable trade chips in and of themselves. Aldridge, DeRozan, and Gay are still pretty useful players though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Travesty if ownership does not step in and free up the current bublble team to continue to play ball while getting rid of Pop n Pets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Walker would be the starting 2, replacing Forbes, but i'm starting to think they'll just go with White.

Murray-White-DDR- Lyles, Aldridge
    Mills-Walker-KJ-Gay-Poeltl

That starting lineup isn't perfect, but it's certainly better defensively than the Forbes version of the SL. Murray would also likely play a lot more off ball, which is a good thing. If White's offensive assertiveness is here to stay, then he makes the SL better offensively too.

Assuming Murray continues to improve as a shooter and Aldridge continues to shoot 3's at the rate he did, that team might actually shoot closer to the league average in 3pt attempts rather than be at the bottom of the league. Might not be such a bad team tbh, especially if KJ and Walker show a lot of improvement.
    Out of all the suggested rotations, I like this one best.

Although, the Spurs 1st - round pick could alter things slightly. Especially, if they can earn Pop's trust early, are at a position of need & are very quick learner (ala Nephew).
    Last edited by J_Paco; 08-11-2020 at 03:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need a legit center to pair with LMA. Poeltl is undersized and not a rim protector. Also need some depth at the Forward spot. Lyles doesn't cut it.
    He plays below the rim, like Splitter used to, but definitely ain't "undersized."

He's listed at 7'1" without shoes & 245 lbs. Yeah, there is nothing "small" about Jakob. His problems are he lacks range on offense, tends to be a soft finisher inside & doesn't have a lot of lower body strength (can be uprooted easily).

And plenty of "undersized" SF/PF like Keldon have thrived in the NBA. Benard King, Adrian Dantley, P.J. Tucker & Bonzi Wells all had good to great NBA careers. So, no reason a strong bodied, tenacious guy like Keldon can't thrive even in this "bigger, more athletic" league.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 08-11-2020 at 03:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great game by KJ today tbh.

For those worried about his jumper, he hit went 3-3 from 3 this game and is 12-19 on the season.

I always thought that his G-League shooting was flukely and he was closer to being an average to an slightly above average shooter. He shot the ball well at Kentucky on a pretty good amount of attempts but shot 23.7 % in the G-League.

He should be big part of the rotation next season.
    Last edited by cd021; 08-11-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl is undersized?
    I'm not going to lie, the fact that he's 7-1 really surprised me. I've always thought he was 6-8 to 6-10 with the way he plays. Doesn't really get up very often and very limited offensively in the paint (mainly soft layups). You would think someone at his height would have a reliable hook shot.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not going to lie, the fact that he's 7-1 really surprised me. I've always thought he was 6-8 to 6-10 with the way he plays. Doesn't really get up very often and very limited offensively in the paint (mainly soft layups). You would think someone at his height would have a reliable hook shot.
    Offensively,he plays like a wnba player. It's embarrassing at times and even cost the Spurs two of the bubble games(although Murray's play deserves most of the blame)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe not for next season, but for the one after that, if I was the coach, I would have White as the PG of the future, Keldon as the SG and Poeltl as the center:

PG-White - 6'4" - 6'8" wingspan
    SG- Keldon - 6'6" - 6'9" wingspan
    SF-
    PF-
    C- Poeltl - 7'1" - 7'1" wingspan

Should we get ourselves a couple of two-way 6'8 ish forwards with a wignspan of 7+ feet and we would be set for years to come. The lineup would be so solid, that we might not even need a Superstar to be highly compe ive.

A tall, lanky, lineup of solid two-way players that can switch 1 through 4 (or 1 through 5 when needed) and that all can spot up or attack the basket from open offensive sets is my dream scenario.

We are 3/5th there. We are only missing the forwards, that's why I'm so vocal about targeting those kind of players both in the draft and free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He plays below the rim, like Splitter used to, but definitely ain't "undersized."

He's listed at 7'1" without shoes & 245 lbs. Yeah, there is nothing "small" about Jakob. His problems are he lacks range on offense, tends to be a soft finisher inside & doesn't have a lot of lower body strength (can be uprooted easily).

And plenty of "undersized" SF/PF like Keldon have thrived in the NBA. Benard King, Adrian Dantley, P.J. Tucker & Bonzi Wells all had good to great NBA careers. So, no reason a strong bodied, tenacious guy like Keldon can't thrive even in this "bigger, more athletic" league.
    Problem with Poeltl is his wingspan, it's only 7'1", that's pretty meh for a basketball player of his size. Length > height. He makes up some of that with his mobility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get Jerami Grant and even if Aldridge and DeRozan stay for another year, which is not ideal but highly possible, you'd have

Aldridge/Grant/DeRozan/Murray/White
    Poeltl/Gay/Keldon/Walker/Mills

Although I'm not sure if I would start Murray at SG or play Johnson or Walker instead

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since this can only be done at the moment under the presumption the "mid 3" are retained . . .

Starters: Lyles, DeRozan, Aldridge, White, Murray

Bench: Gay, Mills, Poeltl, Forbes, Johnson, Walker

Their love of Forbes and lack of volume 3-point shooting likely means either he's retained or someone else is brought in to fill his role. Just can't see Mills as the lone bona fide shooter receiving rotational minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since this can only be done at the moment under the presumption the "mid 3" are retained . . .

Starters: Lyles, DeRozan, Aldridge, White, Murray

Bench: Gay, Mills, Poeltl, Forbes, Johnson, Walker

Their love of Forbes and lack of volume 3-point shooting likely means either he's retained or someone else is brought in to fill his role. Just can't see Mills as the lone bona fide shooter receiving rotational minutes.
    I don't see an 11 men rotation, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get Jerami Grant and even if Aldridge and DeRozan stay for another year, which is not ideal but highly possible, you'd have

Aldridge/Grant/DeRozan/Murray/White
    Poeltl/Gay/Keldon/Walker/Mills

Although I'm not sure if I would start Murray at SG or play Johnson or Walker instead
    White, Keldon, DeRozan, Grant, Aldridge

Murray, Mills, Walker, Gay, Poeltl

I didn't know Grant was a free agent. I'm getting hyped about the chance of getting him. I doubt PATFO would even look his way though. They rarely do what they need to do lately.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing people aren’t considering is our 11th pick. Typically someone chosen that high is immediately part of the rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing people aren’t considering is our 11th pick. Typically someone chosen that high is immediately part of the rotation.
    I hope that's the case, but with Pop you never know.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a free agent class, for the most part. That makes it a perfect opportunity for the Spurs to bring in some busted up old vet. So I'm thinking that the SL for Game 1 next season is going to be

Murray
    Forbes
    DDR
    Aldridge
    Z-Bo (or Marc Gasol on a 2/$36M deal)

Or

Conley
    Forbes
    Murray
    DDR
    Aldridge

And don't pretend like you didn't just throw up in your mouth a little, because it could happen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see an 11 men rotation, tbh.
    Forbes, Johnson and Walker, would compete for the backup wing minutes and when one of the top 8 can't go, all three would play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes, Johnson and Walker, would compete for the backup wing minutes and when one of the top 8 can't go, all three would play.
    If that happens, I'm quitting my fandom 'till Popovich gets the out.

Thread Information