San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why was Belli in this game?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why was Belli in this game?
    "Because you, that's why"

Beli actually looked decent today, tbh...

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bounce back game from a lot of our players. From the moment I learned 4 Utah starters were out, I was expecting a close game/loss tbh, this Spurs team has the tendency to play up/down to their compe ion, down more often than not. I liked Lonnie's aggressiveness even if he was missing easy shots today; hope he can keep it consistent throughout these last few games. Can't have pops calling you to get in your ear every game. Also, Poeltl was much better, though I'm not really giving much credit to this performance with Gobert out.

Daily reminder that I really dislike how Pop has been handling veterans on the team and their roles on offense. There's a saying in Spanish "bread for today, hunger for tomorrow" and I just can't help but feel that so much involvement and dependency on DeMar and Gay's shots (which most of the times are ISOs or require little intervention and involvement from the rest of the players, besides an entry pass) is exactly that. Instead of relegating Lonnie/Keldon to the corner and have them wait for a pass to make a move, with the veterans dominating the ball, the team should be trying to switch up the roles. Will it lead to less points made, less efficient basketball, turnovers, and growing pains? Most surely. But it's a building block for next season or the one after that, when those vets won't be there anymore to playmake or ball-handle and you find out that suddenly, your young players outside of White know little more than stand in the corner for catch-and-shoot action.

Having said that, I also think the coaches need to focus on teaching the young players off-ball moving, cutting and generally good habits. It's surprising to me that you have Marco and Patty, by all means two great off-ball players and vet roles on the team, yet they don't seem to teach or rub off on the young players at all. Standing still in a corner is the easiest way to be defended, and the Spurs don't exactly have a savant-level passer or driving offensive force that warps defenses to get these spots effortlessly open, like a Doncic or Trae Young. The young core has to be taugth that if you want the ball, you have to work for it - before it's too late to change these habits.

Good game otherwise. The Spurs were leading consistently and just trading buckets at times. Defense has been horrible, per par, nothing too surprising there and not much that hasn't been obvious since before the season was shut down. See you all on Sunday...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    okc will beat memphis today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    okc will beat memphis today.
    They’re down double-digits in the 3rd..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m liking these day games during the week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Memphis whooping OKC by 15 right now. Thunder look like they don’t give a about this game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The is Bowen doing there? Go suck Kobe's dead .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hadn't checked ahead, so I was shocked to see an NBA game featuring the Spurs so early in the morning. I told my girlfriend it was like Christmas morning, but with a black Santa who's in really good shape.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spoken like a true unemployed.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    They’re down double-digits in the 3rd..
    i didn’t know okc would be without adams and schroder.

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did the Grizzlies game really just see a 45 point swing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The is Bowen doing there? Go suck Kobe's dead .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellente. You do The Lord's work, sir

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The is Bowen doing there?.
    Bowen made it unofficially the Big 4. Without Bowen, no 3rd or 4th ring

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did the Grizzlies game really just see a 45 point swing?
    Wow, OKC really threw that game bc they didn't want to see us in the playoffs...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spoken like a true unemployed.
    No. Employed and work remote from home.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Working from home is great. No commute. More sleep. More time for me.

Plus i am working more and paid by the hour so i am making more jack.

Going to the office sucks.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D-White with the goods. Game shouldn’t have been this close but Dejounte and Lonnie struggled yet again today. It’s getting old quick with them. DeMar had a quiet game too.

Game ball goes to Derrick and Poodle tbh.
    Realize the stats dont back it up but that was Lonnies best game in this seeding comp so far. From the getgo he was active on both ends. Attacked the rim and showed more awareness on D. Best part he finally looked comfortable as a starter.
    Last edited by Slippy; 08-08-2020 at 03:17 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Employed and work remote from home.
    Just ing around son. I'm the same as you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen made it unofficially the Big 4. Without Bowen, no 3rd or 4th ring
    Nah, put Danny Green there and it's the same. Put any defensive wing there and it's the same. Only trully important players there were Duncan, Manu and Tony.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. White is way more talented and has higher upside than a lot of folks seem to think.

Murray's game sucks. He takes bad shots and uses too many possessions. He needs to become a more efficient player with way lower usage in order to make the rest of his game work.

Poeltl played fine. He's a solid player. But he also had a weak match-up, which meant that his biggest defensive short-coming (his fouling) wasn't exposed. Offensively he reminds me a lot of Splitter. He should be uber efficent given his shot-selection -- and he often is. But he's also sometimes not, and when his shots are bouncing out, he's damned near useless because he doesn't rebound well most of the time and has inconsistent hands. Seven years ago, he'd've been an easy starter. I think he can work now, but I'd also want to get a more skilled player behind him.
    -His biggest issue was his lack of aggressiveness on offense. In the bubble, he's shot 42 3's in 5 games and hit 45% on 3's. That's percentage is going to drop but if he's launching like that, then it changes his ceiling as a player.

-Even during that Memphis game, I had issues with how he player, and that was his best game in the bubble. He puts up impressive numbers but when I actually watch him play, he's underwhelming.

He had a number of errant drives where he just threw up shots at the rim and a couple went in. His jumper still looks good but he does need to be a lower usage player. A 3 and D player should definitely be his future.

-I had thought Poeltl could be a 30+ mpg type of center, but he's probably closer to a to a 25 mpg type of center.

I think he can be a good starter but not a great one. Still, I think he's a very good defender and a solid rebounder, especially offensively. I think he's a far better finisher than Splitter but Splitter was a better at drawing fouls, FT shooting, and passing.

He's at his best with spacing and play-making around him, and the better the players around him fit that, the better he'll be.

Thread Information