Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they paid murray on potential and now are going to have to pay up to keep white in town
    Depending on how he's advised by his agent, we may lose White regardless since PATFO went all in on Murray with that deal. No way White wants to share PG duties with a guy who can't dribble, pass or shoot

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They paid Murray in Potential they paying White on Production.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty damn sure spurs lock him up

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great topic. Important topic. Spurs better not screw this up. The man is better than many of these hyped up star players. He's the real deal. Very much like KL when he started on the up and up. White should definitely become an all-star.... if fans ever go back to appreciating real impact over the superficial.

White is a cornerstone for the future. There's a lot of ty players making >20M. Having said all that.. if we can get him on the cheap i say go for it. On the cheap... 13 per year. Hey he's a freaking 29 pick! Systemic profiling right there.
    Very doubtful he’s averaging 22 ppg in the bubble he will get 18-22

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something to keep in mind, devil's advocate or whatever, he's averaging 20+ppg over like 4 games.

What if he regresses to the mean?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White will be paid, rightfully so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone else notice how Dejounte looked beastly those 2 or 3 games right before he got his extension? Dude still looks like a rookie. Im hoping it's because of the Spurs' confusion of strategy (Line up changes, confusion of veteran lead team or developing young guys)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best solution to extedning White would be to wait until next season. He's doing incredible in the restart, but it's been only 4 games. Don't forget the dude went off in the Denver series for the first 3 or 4 games, and than Denver made an adjustment and shut him down. Lets see what he can do in a full year, if he'll able to put in 20 ppg, that pay him. if he'd can acomplish about 70% of what he's dong right now, he worth about 15ish mil per year and if he regress back to the norm, pay him about 10 mil a year.

Basically

If he can average 18+ ppg, with solid defense = He's a max player
    15ish ppg, with solid defensae= murray money
    Back to his Carrer norms= DG type of contract, hopefully.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4/72 is my knee-jerk guess, if he continues to play as well as he has so far in the bubble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is one of the most underrated players in the NBA right now. I imagine most GMs are drooling at the idea of landing him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is going to get at least what DJM got but no more. Maybe the amount of years will be different. White nor DJM really care about who's running the PG position because Pop plans on having at least 3 playmaking ballhandlers in the game at 1 time adding LW4 into the mix. White, DJM and LW4 will be running the point and breaking down the defense. The Spurs need both White and DJM on the team moving forward especially on the defensive end of things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Emmanuel David Ginobili
    I'm skeptical he can reach that high but I hope you're right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something to keep in mind, devil's advocate or whatever, he's averaging 20+ppg over like 4 games.

He getting regular run over 30 mpg. That’s all he’s needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is one of the most underrated players in the NBA right now. I imagine most GMs are drooling at the idea of landing him.
    How many 20/5/5 players ALSO play defense like D White? Probably very few. He's a 2 way player like Kawhi. He probably wont be recognized as a MVP candidate because his name and style isnt sexy, but he's a damn good player. He will probably deserve the max, but we are lucky he didnt display this much earlier or else he would have gotten it. He will get a team friendly deal when he's convinced a good team will be built around him. He's humble enough to accept it. We have our first piece of the puzzle.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only concern I have with White is his feet if he can stay healthy he will a very good building block.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White wasted a year of his career sitting behind Dejointe and Bryn Forbes, when he was clearly the better player. At the least he should get what Chris Levert got from the Nets, in 2019, ..3 yrs/52 Million. Hard to say how coronavirus impacts the cap but he might be the best the Spurs have for awhile. His shooting, playmaking and IQ is worth likely 15 million a yeat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is something that needs to be discussed tbh.

He's shooting 45% on 8.5 3's per game. That's not sustainable.

-If he's a starter, going forward, is he really going to shoot 8.5 3's in 32 mpg? Better yet, is he really going to shoot anywhere near 45% from 3? More likely he's closer to 6 3's per game on maybe 37% from 3.

-His 6.5 FTs per game is sustainable, while he can stand to actually improve on his 81% FT.

-He's actually only taken only 26 shots from inside the arc in 5 games. When his outrageous shooting comes back down to earth, that's where he can stand to improve. He's generally a good finisher at the rim and a good mid-range shooter.

All of this is to say that he's likely not going to be able to keep this up, at least not how he's been doing it. He can still be a 20/6/6 player assuming that his improved offensive aggression is here to stay but that's hard to say for certain.

If he's a 20/6/6 player then 4 years, $80 million is probably fine.

When that's combined with Murray, who's looking less likely to live up to that $64 million then that could be an issue.
    Last edited by cd021; 08-09-2020 at 04:56 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 years, $60 million tbh.
    I know the financial climate is going to be uncertain for a while, but I still don't see how he get's less than Murray. I threw out 4/70 recently.

When that's combined with Murray, who's looking less likely to live up to that $64 million then that could be an issue.
    That's what I've alluded to all along with these two. Sure, they have the cap space, but do you want to tie up that much combined money in a non All-Star caliber back court?

Choosing one always made sense. What White has done recently is illuminate the fact that it should be him, despite his relatively advanced age and lack of extension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know the financial climate is going to be uncertain for a while, but I still don't see how he get's less than Murray. I threw out 4/70 recently.

That's what I've alluded to all along with these two. Sure, they have the cap space, but do you want to tie up that much combined money in a non All-Star caliber back court?

Choosing one always made sense. What White has done recently is illuminate the fact that it should be him, despite his relatively advanced age and lack of extension.

-I think 4 years, $60 million is probably the floor, while 4 years, $80 is probably the most I could see him getting. 4 years, $70 million would be the sweet spot.

-I have doubts that his 22 ppg output is sustainable in the long term, at least how he's done it, but if he's this aggressive on offense and getting the minutes then he could still be a 20/6/6 type of player. For 4 years, $70 million that's probably a bargain, plus and the Spurs would have him locked up for age 26-31.

-Murray and White, if that's the Spurs starting backcourt of the future, is fine at $33.5 million combined per seasons-- for a total of three seasons. If, say, Walker or another player ends up replacing Murray in the starting lineup during that time then that becomes an issue. That could very well happen, so that could indeed become an issue.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The drop off in ball movement after White was injured in the Pelican game shows his value. He might not have years of NBA experience but he is a two way player entering his prime. I like the idea of a 4 yr/70 million with incentives.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -I think 4 years, $60 million is probably the floor, while 4 years, $80 is probably the most I could see him getting. 4 years, $70 million would be the sweet spot.

-I have doubts that his 22 ppg output is sustainable in the long term, at least how he's done it, but if he's this aggressive on offense and getting the minutes then he could still be a 20/6/6 type of player. For 4 years, $70 million that's probably a bargain, plus and the Spurs would have him locked up for age 26-31.

-Murray and White, if that's the Spurs starting backcourt of the future, is fine at $33.5 million combined per seasons-- for a total of three seasons. If, say, Walker or another player ends up replacing Murray in the starting lineup during that time then that becomes an issue. That could very well happen, so that could indeed become an issue.
    It just depends on the context. On a good team, is he a 20-22 ppg scorer? Probably not, but this is a team more than likely at most a year away from losing the "mid 3" and right now he's the only other option on the roster capable of assuming a primary offensive role.

That's why counting stats are largely irrelevant because they're so context dependent.

It's fine if that's a back court capable of building an above average offense around or you have a wing or big to fulfill that role, but Murray is an inept offensive player and I still think White ultimately settles into that nebulous zone between star and role player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks White is heading for that Jrue Holiday underrated type.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Locking White up on a team friendly salary will be a key move for the future. Especially because the Spurs still have to pay Demarre Carroll for a few years. Anything under 20 Million per year is good value for a player like him.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Locking White up on a team friendly salary will be a key move for the future. Especially because the Spurs still have to pay Demarre Carroll for a few years. Anything under 20 Million per year is good value for a player like him.
    Disgusting that we're paying him 6 mil next year to play for someone else. How do Buford/Wright still have a job after how they handled the Kawhi trade and last summer's nightmare acquisitions(Morris/Carrol)?

Thread Information