Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you 3rd worlders should bail out now, head back to your tribes.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    9/11 tbh

Already two decades in sharp decline

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Free market democracies have a way of thriving and we’ll get back on our feet, but there is no denying the relative decline of US strength. A lot of the article is sensationalism but some points are already being addressed such as a push for more domestic manufacturing of critical PPE and drugs. The most important thing is that you can’t have a “leader” like Trump and do well to manage a crisis like this. If this is the kind of leadership we get for decades to come then we’ll be talking about a new level of collapse. I’m assuming Trump is out soon.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you 3rd worlders should bail out now, head back to your tribes.
    Trump is building his stupid wall to keep all of us trapped here in the New World Order when this country becomes a hole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to realize we are doing a terrible job of being the world's "policeman". I would say we need to cut the military budget by at least half understanding that the military has been a huge positive to bringing minority kids out of poverty and into the mainstream. Maybe if those funds were redirected into a CCC ,style American peace Corp we could get better results.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Social media ruined America. Has allowed things like lockdowns to happen. Trump got elected due to social media. Number 1 draft pick in NBA this year due to social media...

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    True tbh. The realization that America wasn’t invulnerable sent the country into a tailspin of fear and panic, and politicians did a great job cashing in on that fear.
    Not just politicians - the military industrial complex and Toby Keith

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to realize we are doing a terrible job of being the world's "policeman". I would say we need to cut the military budget by at least half understanding that the military has been a huge positive to bringing minority kids out of poverty and into the mainstream. Maybe if those funds were redirected into a CCC ,style American peace Corp we could get better results.
    We are doing a worse job with our own health care and this virus at present.

"Policeman" militarily has not worked well most recently. It has worked in some dire cir stances like the Yahzidis in Iraq. I would also argue that bombing the crap out of the Serbs helped to save a whole lot of Bosnians as well. There are more cir stances where we did not gain any "BIGCompany got us in this mess" economic advantage, people tend to overlook these examples imo. But work involving diplomacy can be more effective if we have helped in emergency humanitarian disasters with food and medicine. And in some of those cases, we do have to secure some sort of passage to get material to the people who really need it.
    I would also argue we MUST not let China lay claim to all the Islands in the South China Sea and effectively restrict our trade with SE Asia. We need our Navy to continue to challenge them. So militarily will still need to be able to boldly challenge for international waters. If we wish Japan to help with this, then we need to have talks with them and other countries about their own navy.
    Also,
    When the arctic opens up, we will also probably have to challenge Russian for claims up there as well. This is coming.
    We must be able to move material through international waters and some boundaries. We have effectively done this because our military is strong. Their are certain major canals that we cannot allow to be shut down, and that takes a credible threat. If this is "policing", we need to police.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol "unraveling of America". The 60s were a thousand times worse than this current era what with Vietnam, even worse social unrest, and all the assassinations and we survived that fine no need to be melodramatic.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It’s really just a question of how we decline - is it like the British Empire where we just lose our international sphere of influence but the mainland United States is still a good (potentials even better) place to live, or is it like the Spanish Empire where we decline and become a country with crippling debt and 16% unemployment?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    lol "unraveling of America" The 60s were a thousand times worse than this current era what with Vietnam and all the assassinations and we survived that fine no need to be melodramatic.
    We didn’t really survive the 60s. The cities that began to decline in the 60s (Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, St. Louis) have only continued to further decline since then. A lot of the trends that began in the 60s (white flight, urban decay, weakening working class) never reversed and only accelerated.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are doing a worse job with our own health care and this virus at present.

"Policeman" militarily has not worked well most recently. It has worked in some dire cir stances like the Yahzidis in Iraq. I would also argue that bombing the crap out of the Serbs helped to save a whole lot of Bosnians as well. There are more cir stances where we did not gain any "BIGCompany got us in this mess" economic advantage, people tend to overlook these examples imo. But work involving diplomacy can be more effective if we have helped in emergency humanitarian disasters with food and medicine. And in some of those cases, we do have to secure some sort of passage to get material to the people who really need it.
    I would also argue we MUST not let China lay claim to all the Islands in the South China Sea and effectively restrict our trade with SE Asia. We need our Navy to continue to challenge them. So militarily will still need to be able to boldly challenge for international waters. If we wish Japan to help with this, then we need to have talks with them and other countries about their own navy.
    Also,
    When the arctic opens up, we will also probably have to challenge Russian for claims up there as well. This is coming.
    We must be able to move material through international waters and some boundaries. We have effectively done this because our military is strong. Their are certain major canals that we cannot allow to be shut down, and that takes a credible threat. If this is "policing", we need to police.
    your math is awful

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We didn’t really survive the 60s. The cities that began to decline in the 60s (Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, St. Louis) have only continued to further decline since then. A lot of the trends that began in the 60s (white flight, urban decay, weakening working class) never reversed and only accelerated.
    By "we" you mean us honkies? Because its better for everyone but honky dudes compared to the 1950s unless youre one of these guys thats hyperfocused only on economics to the exclusion of everything else

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just politicians - the military industrial complex and Toby Keith
    Great American Patriot, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s really just a question of how we decline - is it like the British Empire where we just lose our international sphere of influence but the mainland United States is still a good (potentials even better) place to live, or is it like the Spanish Empire where we decline and become a country with crippling debt and 16% unemployment?
    Id wager itll be somewhere in between the two

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    By "we" you mean us honkies? Because its better for everyone but honky dudes compared to the 1950s unless youre one of these guys thats hyperfocused only on economics to the exclusion of everything else
    I think when you factor everything in it’s worse. All the progress made on Civil Rights since the 60s has more or less been cancelled out by the economic decline. It’s not like a black guy in rural Mississippi now has a rich and enchanting quality of life. Jim Crow got replaced by like mandatory drug sentences and stop and frisk policing and the end result is that there’s been effectively no social mobility for black America since the Civil Right Act was passed.

In a nuts , I disagree with the premise that America has gotten materially better for minorities since 1960. All that’s happened is it’s just gotten tier for white people too

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually this is a very good point as different people expect different things from their country.

I dont think its possible we could all just live in small cooperative farming systems that took advantage of the crops that should be grown in only those areas with very little transport. Shut down travel and just survive in your own area in a healthy manner somehow. We get big, diversify yet become a very specialized society. Specialization creates very nice products, but also makes citizens very vulnerable to change. We make this well, they make that well, they do this well, we do that well, lets share stuff and put our specialties together and we become vulnerable at not being self sufficient by merely specializing.

I know anthropologists still like to study (yet keep tribes in Indonesia "pristine") to understand early human ways. I think these tribes have a very tough life compared to ours, but maybe they are completely fulfilled and satisfied. Losing children at child birth, diseases that come and go, are balanced with just living in what that moment in time presents to you. No computer to interact with distant people or to do things quickly. Just chill i guess...

I will now go meditate.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually this is a very good point as different people expect different things from their country.

I dont think its possible we could all just live in small cooperative farming systems that took advantage of the crops that should be grown in only those areas with very little transport. Shut down travel and just survive in your own area in a healthy manner somehow. We get big, diversify yet become a very specialized society. Specialization creates very nice products, but also makes citizens very vulnerable to change. We make this well, they make that well, they do this well, we do that well, lets share stuff and put our specialties together and we become vulnerable at not being self sufficient by merely specializing.

I know anthropologists still like to study (yet keep tribes in Indonesia "pristine") to understand early human ways. I think these tribes have a very tough life compared to ours, but maybe they are completely fulfilled and satisfied. Losing children at child birth, diseases that come and go, are balanced with just living in what that moment in time presents to you. No computer to interact with distant people or to do things quickly. Just chill i guess...

I will now go meditate.
    2 weeks

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The flu's going to take out America?

Maybe if Chumpettes get their way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Social media ruined America. Has allowed things like lockdowns to happen. Trump got elected due to social media. Number 1 draft pick in NBA this year due to social media...
    ^ lmao bitter dinosaur, ok Boomer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol "unraveling of America". The 60s were a thousand times worse than this current era what with Vietnam, even worse social unrest, and all the assassinations and we survived that fine no need to be melodramatic.
    This niglet lapped up 'Nam deaths 3 times over already, tbh...

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    There is more opportunity today but also more risk. Minorities (racial, religious, gender, sexual orientation etc) have never been more accepted but it has come at the price of the overall population - people are confused where they come from, who they are and what is their purpose. We have never been more entertained but it has also dulled our minds. Made us impatient.

Someone mentioned social media. It can inspire one moment and fuel victimhood the next. Overall the risk I mentioned earlier relies on people using common sense and self control. These are diminishing traits in America.

I still think nuclear families and improved K-12 education can fuel an American resurgence. Everything else is just a bubble that eventually pops.
    Last edited by FrostKing; 08-09-2020 at 02:00 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    America has degraded over the past 50 years, to point that Trumpism, independent of Trump, is adhered to by 50 - 60M people

The oligarchy did not own the country. that conspiracy was intiated in the early 70s. Lewis Powell memo.

The Repugs were an actual political party instead of a bunch cheap s to the oligarchy.

The 60s were in no way worse than the 2020's

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    America has degraded over the past 50 years, to point that Trumpism, independent of Trump, is adhered to by 50 - 60M people
    Nationalism has seen an upturn throughout Western Civ. It is a natural reaction to progressivesness.

Thread Information