Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe theyll turn Metu into an assistant coach once his "NBA career" ends. He did take up a mentorship role to Keldon according to reports this year. Metu's problem is he doesn't love basketball based off from what I've seen him constantly post on his social media. It's all about soccer. Never about basketball. Probably didnt have a great work ethic because of this. That doesnt fly under Pop.
    He might have grown up loving soccer but grew too tall for the sport and basketball was kind of a fall back option. At his height, he'd have to play goalie or something if he wanted a career in soccer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure Metu will be gone. Don't think he can play, but whether he can or not doesn't matter when you're in that deep a Pop doghouse.

Before today he was even behind Zeller. Zero trust from Pop.

I'm reminded of how Pop had it in for Mahinmi and would go out of his way to not play him, even risking injury to Duncan with an absurd game situation at Toronto.

Despite Pop wanting nothing to do with him, Mahinmi would go on to play 10 more years and make about $80 million more dollars, so Metu shouldn't let it get him down.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It all should start with DeRozan. If he picks up the option, if he declines, if he's resigned, how much.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If demar opts in, does pop continue playing him at PF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw a video that says his dream is to be a lawyer.
    As a lawyer, this blows my mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First off, had they done what many of the smart posters said 2 years ago, started White and Walker in the back court all season and had the former average around 30 mpg, given the way things broke around the league, they probably would have made the playoffs.

White: Is playing with an aggressiveness and confidence I never thought I'd see. The percentages will inevitably regress some and I still think he'll probably ultimately reside in that nebulous zone between star and elite role player, but he's shown he can be a primary offensive option. I'd offer him 4/$70M. If it takes more, fair enough.

Poeltl: Has been inconsistent. Predictably got bullied by brutes Valanciunas, Embiid, Jokic and would thrive amid better spacing, but more or less looks like the low end starting center it was obvious he's been for a few years. Hopefully they can retain him for 3-4/$24-32M. If it takes slightly more, fine. No more giving away assets.

Murray: Looks completely lost and inept and the extension is quickly looking like a mistake. This team needs a go-to scorer and primary playmaker in his stead going forward. Should be shopped hard, along with the 11th pick and an asset from a DeRozan or Aldridge trade, to move up. Avdija, Hayes, Haliburton, should be targets.

Walker: Has been erratic, but shown improved IQ. Due to passive mentality and relatively rudimentary ball skills, punchers chance at a star ship has probably sailed, with solid starter ceiling seeming more appropriate. Still, a 3 and D type with secondary creation is valuable.

Johnson: Blurs the line between on ball type and 3 and D. Probably projects similar to Walker, but too soon to say definitively which direction he veers. Has that "dog" mentality this team desperately needs and will likely max out on his abilities because of it.

Eubanks: Undersized and limited ability, but solid athlete that plays hard and within' himself. Has done enough to earn the third center job. Offer him a guaranteed 2 year minimum, with a 3rd year partial guarantee or team option.

Weatherspoon: Basically the same thing as Eubanks. Can't find whether his 2-way expires or not. If so, his fate should be dependent on what happens to DeRozan, Murray, Forbes and the draft. If they need a depth guard, sign him. If not, sign him to the Austin Spurs.

Metu: End of the line. Never really got a chance like Eubanks, but at the same time the latter has secured the job and carrying four centers on the 15 man would be a waste of a spot.

Samanic: Needs to improve his shot, strength and give a level to become an NBA player, but has an intriguing combination of size, athleticism, ball skills.
    So, all that to say exactly what we thought of all these guys last September.

Anyway, DeJounte has his flaws but he isn't as "bad" as you & other haters suggest. He's already better than plenty of PG's from the last few classes, yet his best spot IS likely a off-ball, "3 - and - D" type instead of the primary ballhandler/playmaker.

Everything else is - like I said in my first sentence - agreeable and how most of us already felt about the young guys. Minus Johnson, who was an unknown commodity but seemed to fit the mold of a P.J. Tucker - type (which is likely his floor).

The young guards (minus Forbes), Samanic, Eubanks, Lyles & possibly Poeltl should be retained, but finding an elite prospect (at the 3/4 or 5) is key to "unlocking" this group's potential. That is the only way the Spurs will become contenders quickly or get out of the basement of the Western conference.

Dropping any combination of the veteran group of Mills (most unlikely), DeRozan, Aldridge, Gay (maybe not *IF* he can retain this scoring pace next season) and Belinelli is okay with me.....
    Last edited by J_Paco; 08-11-2020 at 07:57 PM.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Anyway, DeJounte has his flaws but he isn't a "bad" as you & other haters suggest. He's already better than plenty of PG's from the last few classes, yet his best spot IS likely a off-ball, "3 - and - D" type instead of the primary ballhandler/playmaker.

Everything this else is - like I said in my first sentence - agreeable and how most of us already felt about the young guys. Minus Johnson, who was an unknown commodity but seemed to fit the mold of a P.J. Tucker - type (who is likely his floor).

The young guards (minus Forbes), Samanic, Eubanks & possibly Poeltl should be retained, but finding an elite prospect (at the 3/4 or 5) is key to "unlocking" this group's potential. That is the only way the Spurs will become contenders quickly or get out of the basement of the Western conference.
    Clarke and Thybulle were both on the board on draft night, when the Spurs chose Sammich. They could have had either one of those guys plus Keldon. I was against Sammich, and I still am. If they had taken Keldon plus either one of those guys, and played them, they would probably have as good of a record and they would be much better next season.

Spoon has been a good 3P shooter at times. If he ever gets that confidence back, he would be more than a replacement for Forbes.

Metu and Eubanks are utterly replaceable. Not worthy of a discussion.

Pop and his rotations have limited White.

Poeltl is right at that age when C's blossom (or don't). He needs a little more bulk, but his blocks alone make him worth keeping if the price isn't stupid high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clarke and Thybulle were both on the board on draft night, when the Spurs chose Sammich. They could have had either one of those guys plus Keldon. I was against Sammich, and I still am. If they had taken Keldon plus either one of those guys, and played them, they would probably have as good of a record and they would be much better next season.

Spoon has been a good 3P shooter at times. If he ever gets that confidence back, he would be more than a replacement for Forbes.

Metu and Eubanks are utterly replaceable. Not worthy of a discussion.

Pop and his rotations have limited White.

Poeltl is right at that age when C's blossom (or don't). He needs a little more bulk, but his blocks alone make him worth keeping if the price isn't stupid high.
    Who knows how their scouts & talent evaluators ranked Samanic, Clarke and Thybulle? What was said in the war room or who made the final call (Wright, Pop or R.C.) to pick him? I think they saw Mattise & Brandon as both high - end role players at their height, while a guy like Luka (on paper) has the physical tools to be a high - end starter and maybe all-star.

I really don't see that much more improvement from Clarke & he still has a terribly awkward shot, although it does go in at a solid clip.

I think they Spurs will need to give Luka 3, if not 4, years before they can completely write him off.

We'll see how it goes, but I understand why they felt they couldn't "pass up" on Luka's potential, age & physical profile. Especially if they thought someone would gamble on him after they passed him up with the 17th pick (if they went with someone else).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way I see it, we have:

-Three serious, solid pieces for the future: White, Poeltl, Keldon.
    -Two works in progress that may or may not work: Murray, Walker.
    -And one complete question mark: Samanic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing is I don't understand why some here are still high on Murray. He has almost no naturalB-Ball instincts. Yes he can get better at some things but instincts is not something that can be learned, and it's most definitely one of those things what separates average players from good to the great players.

A PG (a position most critical for needed skill set) with no natural instincts just will never gain you much of anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who knows how their scouts & talent evaluators ranked Samanic, Clarke and Thybulle? What was said in the war room or who made the final call (Wright, Pop or R.C.) to pick him? I think they saw Mattise & Brandon as both high - end role players at their height, while a guy like Luka (on paper) has the physical tools to be a high - end starter and maybe all-star.

I really don't see that much more improvement from Clarke & he still has a terribly awkward shot, although it does go in at a solid clip.

I think they Spurs will need to give Luka 3, if not 4, years before they can completely write him off.

We'll see how it goes, but I understand why they felt they couldn't "pass up" on Luka's potential, age & physical profile. Especially if they thought someone would gamble on him after they passed him up with the 17th pick (if they went with someone else).

We went through all the Samanic discussions long ago. I thought he was a mistake. A lot of other people didn't, including PATFO obviously.

Every player has match-ups that they don't do well with, but Clarke has already proven that he can be an effective NBA player as a rookie. Even if he doesn't progress any other way, he will get better just by getting smarter with experience. I was all over Thybulle a year before he declared, back when people were questioning if he would even get drafted.

You can't look at a draft in a vacuum, except when you have the luxury of Tim Duncan making everyone better. The Spurs needed some immediate help. Pop actually believed he could ride Forbes and Beli. Taking a flyer on Sammich was a up in that draft, when Clarke and Thybulle were on the board. It just was. Those guys are going to be solid NBA players for years barring injury, and the Spurs were/are sadly lacking in that department. The chance of Sammich developing into a legit star is damn slim. Waiting for him to develop into something marginally better than Clarke or Thybulle in a couple of years is nothing but a good way to waste a couple of years.

They did a good thing drafting Keldon. And Spoon, IMO. But Pop left KJ in the Gatorade League, when he should have had him getting rotation minutes. He didn't recognize the world of this roster is in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing is I don't understand why some here are still high on Murray. He has almost no naturalB-Ball instincts. Yes he can get better at some things but instincts is not something that can be learned, and it's most definitely one of those things what separates average players from good to the great players.

A PG (a position most critical for needed skill set) with no natural instincts just will never gain you much of anything.

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away I suggested that the Spurs should have traded Parker while he still had value. You would think I suggested changing the team name to the Pelicans or something.

Tony aged out the next season, and he STILL didn't finish his career as a Spur. The team hasn't had a PG since. And, yeah, it's sort of a big deal for a team to have a legit PG. Unless, of course, the only goal is setting a record for consecutive playoff appearances.

At the beginning, they were trying to use Murray as some sort of combo. That wasn't fair to him, and it was clear within just a few games that they needed to go one way or the other with him. I said then that they needed to just let him focus on being a 2, because he just is not a point guard. Pop went the other way, and it has impeded his development as a player. He can't get on with the things he is suited for, and he isn't suited for the things they are trying to make him do. And leaving a team without a real PG is a good way of insuring that their ceiling is an early exit from the playoffs.

It's bad coaching. Popsuckers can say whatever they want, but it's bad coaching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the arm chair coaches on this forum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the arm chair coaches on this forum

And we love the Popsuckers. Slurp, slurp.

It's not so much about me bring right. It's about how truly bad Pop has been without Tim Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And we love the Popsuckers. Slurp, slurp.

It's not so much about me bring right. It's about how truly bad Pop has been without Tim Duncan.
    Sharing too much of your fantasies there bud. Arent you the guy that freaks out over little things? Oh yeah, the keyboard warrior

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Anyway, DeJounte has his flaws but he isn't as "bad" as you & other haters suggest. He's already better than plenty of PG's from the last few classes, yet his best spot IS likely a off-ball, "3 - and - D" type instead of the primary ballhandler/playmaker.

Everything else is - like I said in my first sentence - agreeable and how most of us already felt about the young guys. Minus Johnson, who was an unknown commodity but seemed to fit the mold of a P.J. Tucker - type (which is likely his floor).

The young guards (minus Forbes), Samanic, Eubanks, Lyles & possibly Poeltl should be retained, but finding an elite prospect (at the 3/4 or 5) is key to "unlocking" this group's potential. That is the only way the Spurs will become contenders quickly or get out of the basement of the Western conference.

Dropping any combination of the veteran group of Mills (most unlikely), DeRozan, Aldridge, Gay (maybe not *IF* he can retain this scoring pace next season) and Belinelli is okay with me.....
    Yeah, 11 months ago we all knew things like . . .

- White would star to consistently play with the aggressiveness and confidence to make him worth $70M or more
    - Murray would be a mess and the extension would look like a mistake
    - Walker's IQ/passing would significantly improve in short order
    - Johnson might develop into more of a featured type than 3 and D one
    - Eubanks is probably a deep bench NBA player

Ah, the old if you're not a blind apologist you're a hater routine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It all should start with DeRozan. If he picks up the option, if he declines, if he's resigned, how much.
    I still think he picks up his option. If he wants out then the Spurs and him and his agent can work out a trade from there. I don't see them re-signing him. If he opts-in and doesn't ask for a trade then, they could let him play out his deal without having to commit long-term.

If demar opts in, does pop continue playing him at PF?
    In certain situations. I still think Lyles and Gay will play the majority of minutes at the 4 next season, baring injury.

The way I see it, we have:

-Three serious, solid pieces for the future: White, Poeltl, Keldon.
    -Two works in progress that may or may not work: Murray, Walker.
    -And one complete question mark: Samanic.
    Agreed, though I wouldn't put Murray and Walker in the same boat. Walker is a better shooter and doesn't make nearly as much weird decisions with the ball as Murray does. I think Murray is closer to being in the question mark category.

His shooting is definitely improved but his play-making decisions are weird. He drive's just to drive and it often doesn't go well. He also throws silly passes and is careless with the ball.

He's a 3 and D SG but being groomed as a PG despite average court-vision, limited passing ability and weak handles.

Thread Information