Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the good government rationale for this recent rule change?

(not rhetorical)

In a nationwide rule change that went unnoticed this summer, the U.S. Postal Service has forbidden employees from signing absentee ballots as witnesses while on duty. The change could make it more difficult for Alaskans, particularly rural residents, to vote by mail.

In Alaska and several other states, absentee ballots must be signed by a witness who can verify that a ballot was legitimately filled out by a particular voter. Without a signature, the ballot will not be counted.

Alaska’s ballot instructions say to “have your signature witnessed by an authorized official or, if no official is reasonably available, by someone 18 years of age or older.”

It lists postal officials as an example of an authorized official, but many Alaska voters said postal clerks told them they were forbidden from signing ballots.
    https://www.adn.com/politics/2020/08...-as-witnesses/

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    What's the good government rationale for this recent rule change?

(not rhetorical)

https://www.adn.com/politics/2020/08...-as-witnesses/
    Not sure how Trump supporters will reply to this, but I'm certain the response won't include a good faith explanation for why they would make that rule change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure how Trump supporters will reply to this, but I'm certain the response won't include a good faith explanation for why they would make that rule change.
    Taken by itself, this isn't much. Hard to imagine it will have a big impact, but we do know that a difference of 77,000 votes in three states essentially determined the EC majority in 2016.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Taken by itself, this isn't much. Hard to imagine it will have a big impact, but we do know that a difference of 77,000 votes in three states essentially decided the direction in 2016.
    Taken by itself it might not change that many votes, but it flies in the face of Dejoy's claim that the changes he made at the USPS have nothing to do with the election. This rule change has at most a de minimis impact on cost reduction but clearly makes it difficult for certain voters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    backstory for those who need it:

In 2005, [Sen. Susan Collins] sponsored and introduced legislation, the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA), that required the USPS to pre-pay the next 50 years worth of health and retirement benefits for all of its employees—a rule that no other federal agency must follow. As chair of the Senate oversight panel at the time, she shepherded the bill’s passage, along with her House GOP counterpart Tom Davis, during a lame-duck session of Congress. It passed by a voice vote without any objections—a maneuver that gave members little time to consider what they were doing.

To meet the mandate for prefunding USPS’s health and retirement benefits, the measure required the Postal Service to place roughly $5.5 billion into a pension fund every year between 2007 and 2016, followed by sizable additional payments, making it impossible for the ins ution to run a profit. To make it even harder for the USPS to make money, the law prohibited the agency from any new activities outside of delivering mail. In an essay for the Washington Monthly last year, New Jersey Congressman Bill Pascrell, who voted for the bill, called it “one of the worst pieces of legislation Congress has passed in a generation.”

That’s because it saddled the ins ution with debt that no other government agency—or private company—is responsible for. At the same time, it effectively blocked the USPS from taking advantage of new opportunities to provide services and garner revenue when it needed to make up for losses stemming from declines in first-class mail due to the rise of the Internet and email.
    https://washingtonmonthly.com/2020/0...ow-protesting/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will the Dems, if they win the Senate and WH, repeal Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA)?

My guess is no. They simply don't have the balls.

Repugs create the status quo, and ing Dems meekly go along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Will the Dems, if they win the Senate and WH, repeal Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA)?

My guess is no. They simply don't have the balls.

Repugs create the status quo, and ing Dems meekly go along.

Now would be a great time time to beef up the USPS, if Biden/Harris were interested in policy that is beneficial and popular.

There's not much sign of that in the media messaging or the convention so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I probably needs to be privatized. This isn't the ing pony express era. Where's the federally run telephone system or internet system?
    It does not need to be privatized. It was never meant to be profitable. It is a public good, not that you understand that specific economics term any better than "excess deaths"

About the only thing privatization would do is line the pockets of the corrupt elite donors of the Republican party, and make service more expensive and tier.

Please explain how adding short-term focus on "shareholder value" and 20-30% profit margin requirements ON TOP OF all the other expenses will magically make everything better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If true, pretty much confirms DeJoy is a hitman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeJoy is still doing it. This is in Grand Rapids today.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If true, pretty much confirms DeJoy is a hitman.

Needs to be put in jail. Clear case of fraud.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds about right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does increased turnout or mail in voting favor Dems?

No idea, I've seen nothing suggesting so, but Trump sure seems to think so.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

I'm not convinced we're going to see increased voter turnout even if mail-in voting is made easier. The Democratic Convention's TV ratings have been abysmal so far despite the fact more people are sitting at home watching TV.

Truth be told, voter suppression works because Americans are ing lazy and will quickly give up on something if they have to deal with any semblance of bureaucracy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not sure about favoring but dems plan on voting by mail by the tune of 60+ percent. Biden is doing about 30 points better than Trump on who's going to vote by mail and who will vote early according to an NBC poll.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...idely-n1236958

Unsurpisingly, Trump voters will bypass it in favor on showing up election day. Interesting breakdown here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think in general the consensus would be that high turnout favor the Dems because they are more numerous in the population compared to the Fringe Republicans

Trash shed mail-in ballots would be the end of Republican winning office so I'm pretty sure some Republican put that in his empty head

I

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Everything I have seen suggests it is a wash, or slightly favors Republicans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Translation:
    "Hur dee dur, I'm Darrin and the best I can do is make fun of muh Hillary. I'm too stupid to recognize the danger and corruption Trump represents."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on TSA

You sack of coward, get in here and explain why this is ok.
    TSA still awol.

Says all you need to know when the sack of with the biggest lip lock on Trumps ass won't defend it.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    TSA still awol.

Says all you need to know when the sack of with the biggest lip lock on Trumps ass won't defend it.
    There's no point, you're never going to get a Trumper to engage in a good faith discussion about this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no point, you're never going to get a Trumper to engage in a good faith discussion about this.
    There have been zero attempts to do so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love to laugh at the Dems and their crazy conspiracy theories while enthusiastically voting for this person to be my President.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's your take on DeJoy destroying sorting machines and slowing down the post office this year?

Is there any good faith explanation you're aware of?

If so, please do share, it would be the very first one offered ITT.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love to laugh at the Dems and their crazy conspiracy theories while enthusiastically voting for this person to be my President.

It's all nervous laughter.

Or Karrin just has a unique sense of humor. The cringe kind.

Thread Information