as Postal Service works to undo sabotage

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...tail=emaildkre

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    They really need a court order demanding that the sorting machines be restored even if replacement parts are needed.

Wonder how many judges need to rule against Dejoy before Trump s admit this isn't a baseless conspiracy theory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oopsie!

1.8 million change of address updates were not reflected in the USPS database 43 states are using to send out ballots.

Even if completely unintentional, the USPS has compromised ballots and could hinder voters.

for three weeks in August, as election officials across the country were preparing to send out mail-in ballots to tens of millions of voters, the U.S. Postal Service stopped fully updating a national change of address system that most states use to keep their voter rolls current, according to multiple officials who use the system. A USPS spokesperson acknowledged the failure in response to questions from TIME, and said that at least 1.8 million new changes of address had not been registered in the database.
    https://time.com/5893881/exclusive-a...ion-addresses/

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Oopsie!

1.8 million change of address updates were not reflected in the USPS database 43 states are using to send out ballots.

Even if completely unintentional, the USPS has compromised ballots and could hinder voters.

https://time.com/5893881/exclusive-a...ion-addresses/
    Unbelievable. Hopefully it shouldn't have much of an impact since the USPS should still be forwarding the mail to its new address, but if Dejoy were an Obama appointee we'd have Fox News and OAN screaming for his resignation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unbelievable. Hopefully it shouldn't have much of an impact since the USPS should still be forwarding the mail to its new address, but if Dejoy were an Obama appointee we'd have Fox News and OAN screaming for his resignation.
    Dejoy should be impeached, I guess he'll probably resign or get promoted, depending on how the election turns out.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Dejoy should be impeached, I guess he'll probably resign or get promoted, depending on how the election turns out.
    Big tactical error for him to with the mail as early as he did and give Democratic AGs time to get injunctions. He should have started ing with the mail 2-3 weeks before the election. People wouldn't have figured it out until after election day and it would almost be a guarantee that the election ends up in a chaotic court battle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big tactical error for him to with the mail as early as he did and give Democratic AGs time to get injunctions. He should have started ing with the mail 2-3 weeks before the election. People wouldn't have figured it out until after election day and it would almost be a guarantee that the election ends up in a chaotic court battle.
    You make a good point about timing, but to be fair to DeJoy, the window of opportunity was short, and he was probably selected for his ability to move fast and break things.

Mission accomplished, tbh.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    You make a good point about timing, but to be fair to DeJoy, the window of opportunity was short, and he was probably selected for his ability to move fast and break things.

Mission accomplished, tbh.
    The Republicans were too transparent early on about their strategy of trying to keep their voters away from mail-in voting so they could reliably sabotage / discredit mail-in votes knowing they would be predominantly democrat. Their voter suppression strategies are typically more clandestine and generally slip past the goalie until it's too late (i.e. voter ID laws, last minute changes to precinct locations, faulty voting equipment that always seems to get sent to inner-city precincts).

Now there's too many eyes on the USPS/Republicans trying to exclude mail-in ballots from the count that Biden's campaign has a legal war chest ready to be deployed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Republicans were too transparent early on about their strategy of trying to keep their voters away from mail-in voting so they could reliably sabotage / discredit mail-in votes knowing they would be predominantly democrat. Their voter suppression strategies are typically more clandestine and generally slip past the goalie until it's too late (i.e. voter ID laws, last minute changes to precinct locations, faulty voting equipment that always seems to get sent to inner-city precincts).

Now there's too many eyes on the USPS/Republicans trying to exclude mail-in ballots from the count that Biden's campaign has a legal war chest ready to be deployed.
    Short term sure, medium term, DeJoy already rendered the USPS weaker. To support any eventual cries for its privatization, DeJoy's tenure with the precipitous dip on time first class service, will be pointed at. People aren't getting medicine on time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejoy is billionaire, he's a big mucky muck in the Repug establishment, he doesn't give a about being impeached, or any attack on himself. $Bs make you immune

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing with the mail is an actual crime.

If there is any HINT of that in any of his official email accounts or communication that it was deliberate, I can see actual charges.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump loses again in PA:

Put differently, “[f]ederal judges can have a lot of power—especially when issuing injunctions. And sometimes we may even have a good idea or two. But the Cons ution sets out our sphere of decision-making, and that sphere does not extend to second-guessing and interfering with a State’s reasonable, nondiscriminatory election rules.” New Georgia Project v. Raffensperger, —F.3d —, 2020 WL 5877588, at *4 (11th Cir. Oct. 2, 2020). As discussed below, the Court finds that the election regulations put in place by the General Assembly and implemented by Defendants do not significantly burden any right to vote. They are rational. They further important state interests. They align with the Commonwealth’s elaborate election-security measures. They do not run afoul of the United States Cons ution. They will not otherwise be second-guessed by this Court.
    https://electionlawblog.org/?p=116580

We are still waiting on a ruling from the Supreme Courton a separate case coming from the state Supreme Court, one where Republicans may fare better.
    the opinion:

https://www.democracydocket.com/wp-c..._temp.pl2_.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's amusing when normal people get their 1st glimpse of huge numbers associated with large populations like the US. Without historical reference, it's really easy to think something must be awry, that the figures are indicating something really bad happened. In reality, they could very well be simply another dot on the trend line. For example, there were nearly 36 million address changes in 2019.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's amusing when posters put on the expert hat to distract from obvious incompetence and obfuscate for a guy like DeJoy, who's trashing the joint.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It's amusing when normal people get their 1st glimpse of huge numbers associated with large populations like the US. Without historical reference, it's really easy to think something must be awry, that the figures are indicating something really bad happened. In reality, they could very well be simply another dot on the trend line. For example, there were nearly 36 million address changes in 2019.
    4 different federal judges believe something is awry and have all issued relief accordingly.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Ha, not only did he lose, but the judge who ruled against him was one of his appointees.

I think both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are going to be cautious about any ruling that helps the president who appointed them, particularly Gorsuch. Roberts is also conscious of what legacy the Roberts Court will have. This country's judiciary might have just enough integrity left to avoid destroying Democracy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing with the mail is an actual crime.

If there is any HINT of that in any of his official email accounts or communication that it was deliberate, I can see actual charges.
    Biden will turn the page on wrongdoing and focus on healing the USPS, if elected. I don't think he has the stomach for prosecuting political predecessors any more than Obama had.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “[f]ederal judges can have a lot of power
    so-called conservatives (aka oligarchy) have been trying for 45 years to have SCOTUS with 5 non "squishy" SCOTUS.

With K, they got it, a solid 5-4, now 5-3, and soon to be 6-3

Repugs knew the power for the Federal judiciary that rules on 95% of cases vs the few that SCOTUS takes,

so McConnell slow-walked/blocked/stole ALL of Obamas Federal appointees,

then rammed through 200+ under Trash.

Repugs have been court packing for 12 years

Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-10-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maine postal workers reassemble high-speed mail-sorting machine:

The machine at the Southern Maine Mail Processing Center in Scarborough was among those ordered to be dismantled across the nation by Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, a Republican fundraiser.

There were two such machines at the center, but only one could be put back together because the other was scrapped.

Such machines can sort more than 20,000 letters an hour.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1985264

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ha, not only did he lose, but the judge who ruled against him was one of his appointees.

I think both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are going to be cautious about any ruling that helps the president who appointed them, particularly Gorsuch. Roberts is also conscious of what legacy the Roberts Court will have. This country's judiciary might have just enough integrity left to avoid destroying Democracy.
    Signs point to maybe.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    How the did Obama not get around to filling vacancies created in 2012 and 2013?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the did Obama not get around to filling vacancies created in 2012 and 2013?
    Mitch McConnell would be my guess.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Mitch McConnell would be my guess.
    McConnell wasn’t majority leader until 2015, he had no power after Harry Reid ended filibusters on lower court judges in 2013.

I just figured it out though, it was that old Dianne Feinstein refusing to end the blue slip rule even when Republicans were clearly being obstructionists.

Thread Information