My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...ugust-13-2020/

The Spurs missed the playoffs. What do Spurs fans do now? Weird feeling, tbh. Maybe Laker fans can give us some pointers. They've had a lot of recent experience in this matter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades and the cool website.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for all the content here throughout the season! Yeah I have to agree the 'Bubble' play did a lot to improve my feeling about the team. I guess it was better late than never to lean on the youth and I hope it continues into next season. Definitely this team sans Forbes has a lot higher ceiling defensively. A good effort there in Orlando.

I'm bummed we couldn't get it done, but at least we were close. Talk about close, poor Suns.

Happy summer!

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The second guessing on Walkers play is a by product of the regular season when Pop had hard leash on him.

As always thanks for grades .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I woulda loved to see KJ get some run in the playoffs but those 8 games were fun. Definitely the most fun stretch of the season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not agree with samanic grade, the D was bad. I was focused on him and with one of two dribble he was eliminated by his opponent on nearly every possession.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the Grades, Sniff. Dilligently watching 60+ games of this team couldn't have been that fun

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp!

There's reason for some optimism with certain players, primarily Keldon Johnson and Derrick White, and, well, that's my core group moving forward I suppose. I'd put the rest of the team in the "available for the right deal" category. Considering that in a lot of games we weren't seeing the other team's best effort, yet Murray still failed to shine, I'm a little concerned with his future ability to really contribute. Before the season people thought (myself included) that Murray being back would help us add to last year's win total...the opposite happened. He can't run an offense and he made White take a back seat which ultimately hurt the team. As for Walker, I think he overthinks things a bit, and needs to just man up, let go, and play ball. His ceiling is still perhaps the highest of the young guys, and I still have some hope for him. Metu should be done. I'd hope Brynn and Marco would be done as well. I'm sure Forbes will stick around, though, as no one will take him in trade unless he can be bundled with someone else, but it was a breath of fresh air not seeing him out there getting burned on defense and doing his angry little air punch afterwards. Mills should slide up next to Pop and be a player coach. Lyles is a decent role player...take or leave...doesn't matter. He can round out the future roster...or not.

DDR and LMA are still this team's best two players. That said, if we ever want to be anything other than a group battling for the last playoff spot we'll need to mix things up. This season was a waste, as we essentially came back with the same group of players as last year, but expecting different (better) results. Let's hope the FO decides to shake things up, not only for the fans but for the future of the franchise. There's no longer a playoff streak to protect, so really no reason to hang onto any of the core group. This isn't a playoff team anymore, so I'd say roll the dice, re-tool the roster, and see what happens. You can't get any worse than missing the playoffs which is where we are now.
    Last edited by Ed Helicopter Jones; 08-14-2020 at 10:46 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that we missed the playoffs maybe Spurs fan will go back to caring for games in the regular season and 1st round games if we make the playoffs. Meaning no more empty seats.

but of course with the big 'rona still in full force its hard to predict how fans will react when they open the stadiums back up for basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) Are we sure Luka is 6’11”? He doesn’t seem that tall but maybe he is.

2) I actually thought Lukas footwork left a lot to be desired. Maybe foot speed and foot work are two different things (albeit related) but I thought on defense he looked fumbly many times with his feet and stuck in the mud.

The young guns have some tools, they work hard on both ends and DJ’s ultimate value may lie in his work ethic and bringing the young crew along with him in off seasons. Exciting times even if the winning ways ended.

Pop should have gone with the youth much sooner and we likely make the playoffs but at least there is no turning back and signing crappy old vets to dumb contracts, right? The future for better or worse is here and the iden y is being forged.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We needed to tank our whole roster needs to improve I think if Corona had not happened we would be drafting 7th. Going into next year I would say tank again but Poop needs to do a better job at it we need to be aiming for top 5 pick. Only concern though is what happens if there is no College Ball next season from Corona?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am usually a Pop "fluffer" but the old man has lost it and I don't think he will ever get it back. I've said numerous times that the fire is gone after his wife's passing and for once Pop is placing himself above the team. Overall I'm ok with it because he has done so much for the franchise and the community. If Pop wants to stick around and coach and suck as a coach then I'm willing to accept it for one more year

But this season was a waste of a season for 3 main players and they are all supposedly our future

I love to bash Dejounte as a troll but in real talk his coach failed him from the start of the season. Pop did everything in his power to NOT develop Dejounte. Dejounte missed an entire season, he was coming off a major injury and was beyond rusty, but unlike veteran players coming off an injury, Dejounte had no real strong points to come back to bc he's in the middle of his development. DJ should've come off the bench to start the season. He should never have been a starter while being placed on minutes restriction. He never should'e been paired with a defensive sieve in Forbes as a backcourt mate. This ruined the one thing DJ could actually do: play defense. DJ developed so many bad habits that he didn't have before all because he was paired with Bryn Forbes. It will ow take an entire year to unlearn all those traits that he developed. Thanks Obama.

Dejounte should've come off the bench, played at an uptempo pace instead of the slow as starter unit pace and played against other team bench players to get back in the groove. But instead he was "thrown into the fire" at 20 minutes a game and never really could get into any type of rhythm.

Derrick White was chosen by Pop to be on team USA but wasn't chosen by Pop to start over Bryn ing Forbes. If there's any logic there then apparently Derrick White failed to see it because he came onto the team with no real role. He was supposed to be the main guy off the bench. Except Patty Mills and Rudy Gay and even Marco decided not to share the ball at all and just chuck away with the slightest daylight of seeing the rim. That's fine if that's how you want the bench to play but what role did that leave Derrick? Everytime he passed he wouldn't get the ball back. Anytime he made a mistake he was benched. Anytime he was aggressive, his teammates would seem to get jealous and freeze him out. Derrick had great chemistry with our bigs. Yet he played almost no minutes with them. I bet he played less than 500 minutes this season with LMA and Poetl. Too lazy to look it up. He also worked well with Demar were DDR didn't feel like he was the only one who could dribble the ball and act like a point guard bc our other starting guards can't dribble or pass. There was ZERO development of Derrick White this year exceot at the very end where Pop seemed to regain some sense and realize he needs to see what White and DJ look like playing together. White with a green light is a perfect running mate with DDR. He already has great chemistry with LMA. White NEEDED to start from day 1.

Lonnie Walker was also failed by our coach. The dude is an athletic freak but too young to really know the game. He also can't finish at the rim, but that takes time. He should bulk up and be able to learn angles. That's the next thing that point god Tony Parker needs to work on with Lonnie. Angles and English. Kurt and Alex. The only role that Lonnie should've had this year was to shoot the ball. That's literally it. Shoot the ball Hans Gruber style. Don't bench him for his defense this year. Coach him around it. Don't start a corpse in front of him, show confidence in him. Don't critique him and neuter him. Just give him the ultimate Jaren Jackson green light and work on SMALL things during the season. Like how to close out or pump fake and drive and kick. Just teach him the fundamentals. Instead Pop didn't even play Lonnie until like December. He benched him for every defensive mistake and literally called ZERO plays for him all season long. Stand in the corner Lonnie and watch Marco shoot. Does Lonnie have a sweet spot on the floor? We still don't know because Pop never calls a play for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Totally agree with you Poop has handled White and Murray terrible the past two years he needs to realize his old doesn’t work with the new generation of kids. Only reason Keldon caught a break was because of bubble play and Forbes being out with injury. Also I think Poodle will look to move on if Poop stays I hope if that happens we can work a sign and trade deal for something. Yeah Poop is coming ack one more year just so he can give Forbes another contract before her moves to Cali.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am usually a Pop "fluffer" but the old man has lost it and I don't think he will ever get it back. I've said numerous times that the fire is gone after his wife's passing and for once Pop is placing himself above the team. Overall I'm ok with it because he has done so much for the franchise and the community. If Pop wants to stick around and coach and suck as a coach then I'm willing to accept it for one more year

But this season was a waste of a season for 3 main players and they are all supposedly our future

I love to bash Dejounte as a troll but in real talk his coach failed him from the start of the season. Pop did everything in his power to NOT develop Dejounte. Dejounte missed an entire season, he was coming off a major injury and was beyond rusty, but unlike veteran players coming off an injury, Dejounte had no real strong points to come back to bc he's in the middle of his development. DJ should've come off the bench to start the season. He should never have been a starter while being placed on minutes restriction. He never should'e been paired with a defensive sieve in Forbes as a backcourt mate. This ruined the one thing DJ could actually do: play defense. DJ developed so many bad habits that he didn't have before all because he was paired with Bryn Forbes. It will ow take an entire year to unlearn all those traits that he developed. Thanks Obama.

Dejounte should've come off the bench, played at an uptempo pace instead of the slow as starter unit pace and played against other team bench players to get back in the groove. But instead he was "thrown into the fire" at 20 minutes a game and never really could get into any type of rhythm.

Derrick White was chosen by Pop to be on team USA but wasn't chosen by Pop to start over Bryn ing Forbes. If there's any logic there then apparently Derrick White failed to see it because he came onto the team with no real role. He was supposed to be the main guy off the bench. Except Patty Mills and Rudy Gay and even Marco decided not to share the ball at all and just chuck away with the slightest daylight of seeing the rim. That's fine if that's how you want the bench to play but what role did that leave Derrick? Everytime he passed he wouldn't get the ball back. Anytime he made a mistake he was benched. Anytime he was aggressive, his teammates would seem to get jealous and freeze him out. Derrick had great chemistry with our bigs. Yet he played almost no minutes with them. I bet he played less than 500 minutes this season with LMA and Poetl. Too lazy to look it up. He also worked well with Demar were DDR didn't feel like he was the only one who could dribble the ball and act like a point guard bc our other starting guards can't dribble or pass. There was ZERO development of Derrick White this year exceot at the very end where Pop seemed to regain some sense and realize he needs to see what White and DJ look like playing together. White with a green light is a perfect running mate with DDR. He already has great chemistry with LMA. White NEEDED to start from day 1.

Lonnie Walker was also failed by our coach. The dude is an athletic freak but too young to really know the game. He also can't finish at the rim, but that takes time. He should bulk up and be able to learn angles. That's the next thing that point god Tony Parker needs to work on with Lonnie. Angles and English. Kurt and Alex. The only role that Lonnie should've had this year was to shoot the ball. That's literally it. Shoot the ball Hans Gruber style. Don't bench him for his defense this year. Coach him around it. Don't start a corpse in front of him, show confidence in him. Don't critique him and neuter him. Just give him the ultimate Jaren Jackson green light and work on SMALL things during the season. Like how to close out or pump fake and drive and kick. Just teach him the fundamentals. Instead Pop didn't even play Lonnie until like December. He benched him for every defensive mistake and literally called ZERO plays for him all season long. Stand in the corner Lonnie and watch Marco shoot. Does Lonnie have a sweet spot on the floor? We still don't know because Pop never calls a play for him.
    spot on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good post brother, totally agree.

I still have faith in our youngs, but damn this was such a bad season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon Johnson is relentless & fearless & seems almost certain to be an NBA star.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...ugust-13-2020/

The Spurs missed the playoffs. What do Spurs fans do now? Weird feeling, tbh. Maybe Laker fans can give us some pointers. They've had a lot of recent experience in this matter
    Sure ... I'll play.
    You focus on the draft ... becoming an expert scout.
    You become good at cursing your GM when they take Lonzo over the obvious Tatum or even second guess after the fact when they take russell over Book.
    You curse HOF franchise guys like magic when they trade zubac for a scrub like Muscala

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count

Agreed, great post. The bad decisions he's made all year are compounded by the fact that there's no one around to question Pop. No one to answer to. Pop probably has more power now than he ever did at any other point in time. His BFF(Buford) runs the business side of things since the Holt children were given ownership. All the experienced assistants were hired by other teams. The team has two new assistants, one of which is Duncan who's only there to hang out with Pop. The other(Will Hardy) was newly promoted and too green to question his boss. Becky is hanging on for dear life since no other NBA team wants a female coach so she's just waiting out Pop until he retires. It's a group of yes men that know Pop's making mistakes but won't question his decisions. This isn't 1999 where Pop could be fired at any moment. His friend is CEO and he has free reign to coach however he likes for whatever length of time he likes. He can retire midseason next year or ask for a five year extension and they'd give it to him. Pop has all the power in the organization.
    Last edited by Kurgan; 08-15-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, great post. The bad decisions he's made all year are compounded by the fact that there's no one around to question Pop. No one to answer to. Pop probably has more power now than he ever did at any other point in time. His BFF(Buford) runs the business side of things since the Holt children were given ownership. All the experienced assistants were hired by other teams. The team has two new assistants, one of which is Duncan who's only there to hang out with Pop. The other(Will Hardy) was newly promoted and too green to question his boss. Becky is hanging on for dear life since no other NBA team wants a female coach so she's just waiting out Pop until he retires. It's a group of yes men that know Pop's making mistakes but won't question his decisions. This isn't 1999 where Pop could be fired at any moment. His friend is CEO and he has free reign to coach however he likes for whatever length of time he likes. He can retire midseason next year or ask for a five year extension and they'd give it to him. Pop has all the power in the organization.
    He's given a free pass the local and national media for his terrible coaching. The Spurs could lose 20 in a row and he would not get any blame but if they win 3 in a row its "Pop is the greatest coach in the world look at what he's doing for the Spurs." The worst thing is even if we have guys who turn out to be stars they are not going to get credit from the media as long as Pop is around. That type of stuff was one of many reasons why #2 wanted to leave.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

right on the money

Thread Information