Page 104 of 110 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 2730
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My line of thinking for this is,

Is it easier to invest in three high performing role players than a pseudo star like Oladipo taking up a lot of the cap, with a contract that may not be as moveable as three smaller ones? Guys like Oladipo, Isaac, John Collins really don't move the needle enough to justify the expected contract they're going to have. Might as well re-tool again with three solid role players and be prepared / flexible for the next offseason, and keep betting on young players to rise up.

It's only a matter of time before one of White, Keldon, Vassell become a star. Add another high draft pick, then the chances are even higher that we will finally have a new star on our hands.

Bet on it.

Guys like Jrue, Duncan Robinson, Lauri Markannen, OG Anunoby, Luke Kennard will be available. Get two or three of these guys and it's not a bad offseason.
    Relative to a front loaded Jonathan Isaac deal. Spurs will have 50M in cap space, maybe a few million more. If Spurs 1) kept White, Vassell, and Johnson (three best prospects of young core, imo), 2) offered 23M front loaded to Isaac, 3) they'd still have Murray, Walker, Samanic, '21 lottery pick etc, and 27M in space to trade/absorb another max player. Murray and the space navigates any salary match issues.

I don't want to come off as a true believer in this approach--everything depends on who is unavailable--but a ~20M FA and a trading for max player is a path that could emerge, giving the Spurs a core of White, Vassell, Johnson, FA, and trade target. You can fill in the FA and trade target slot with a lot of names which would make Spurs a perennial playoff contender.

In this scenario, I'd love to see the team keep its '21 lottery pick and include picks from '22 and later, but I'm in the imaginative weeds at this point.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My line of thinking for this is,

Is it easier to invest in three high performing role players than a pseudo star like Oladipo taking up a lot of the cap, with a contract that may not be as moveable as three smaller ones? Guys like Oladipo, Isaac, John Collins really don't move the needle enough to justify the expected contract they're going to have. Might as well re-tool again with three solid role players and be prepared / flexible for the next offseason, and keep betting on young players to rise up.

It's only a matter of time before one of White, Keldon, Vassell become a star. Add another high draft pick, then the chances are even higher that we will finally have a new star on our hands.

Bet on it.

Guys like Jrue, Duncan Robinson, Lauri Markannen, OG Anunoby, Luke Kennard will be available. Get two or three of these guys and it's not a bad offseason.
    Posted a response, should have also said, I agree with much of what you're saying here, but think we should have better options than role players. Definitely agree with you regarding White, Vassell, and Johnson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would trade LMA, DDR, DJM, & LS

Bulls: LMA, DJM
    Cavs: Otto Porter
    Magic: DDR, LS
    Spurs: Love, Satoransky, Aaron Gordon, Al-Foruq Aminu

Give who needs draft compensation as necessary

DW, Sato, TJ
    DV, LW4, PM
    KJ, AFA, QW
    AG, RG, TL
    KL, JP, DE

You'd still have Mills, Gay, Lyles and Carroll money coming off the cap, Sato and Aminu will have one year remaining on contract and Lonnie is tradable in the offseason. Extending DW and AG are priority.

These players give you pace, transition, rebounding, passing, 3pt shooting, defensive effort every play.
    That is ing horrible. Kevin Love belongs in a glue factory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giannis agreed to 5 year extension with the Bucks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hold it!!

My unrealistic dream is over. Fun while it lasted...

#draftscottiebarnes
    I just saw this elsewhere and felt for you. I never had hope he’d come here but knew there were some who did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait for the reactions when we extend DeRozan, Aldridge, Mills and Rudy Gay next season to run it back for another 3 years

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With so many players signing long term deals, does it drive up cost or interest for a player like DDR or LMA for other teams looking to make a run this year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With so many players signing long term deals, does it drive up cost or interest for a player like DDR or LMA for other teams looking to make a run this year?
    IMO, adds value, but as much as we'd like. Having big FAs like Giannis sign long-term contracts with their teams makes the FA pool shallower, increasing the value of available "big name" FAs like DD/LMA; but on the other hand, it also means more teams would be willing to pay them next off-season, after their contracts are up (so no assets lost trading for them), since they won't spend that money chasing Giannis/whomever. Tbh, it's probably a matter of which situations the Spurs can take advantage of, I'm hoping for a trade deadline move but we could also see a S&T after the season is over.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once again, cap space proves to be fool's gold. It's only important insofar as you have a relatively easy means to creating it should it prove necessary. Otherwise, just hoarding it for the sake of it looks and sounds nice, but what's the end result?

It's generally what the Hawks or Hornets just did. The only positive to the former is they're now so stocked with depth that they might be able to get in the game for the next diva who becomes available, but in the interim they're at best one and done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap space by itself is fool's gold.

Cap space + assets is different.

The Hornets are not comparable to what the Spurs will have this upcoming offseason. They virtually have 13 out of 15 players who have no value.

The Hawks are on a similar path as the Spurs, signing Bogdan and Rondo aren't bad moves and they still have flexibility going forward. Difference is, what can be unseen, is the lack of intangible veteran leadership on that team to guide their youth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hornets notable 26 and under talent: Ball, Graham, Rozier, Washington, Bridges, Monk.

Spurs notable 26 and under talent: White, Poeltl, Johnson, Vassell, Murray, Walker.

At this writing, it's comparable, with the Hornets having the consensus best prospect and only one thought to have star upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ball is the consensus best prospect? I'll give that two months before people start singing a different tune...

Ball is and will be who I thought he was before he was drafted... A street baller kid who had no business being drafted in the top 10. He went 0/12 FG the other day I believe.

I'll give it two months.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it does which the spurs should definitely take advantage of. But the FO won’t trade them. Unfortunately, It is probably likely that they sign DDR and LMA to long term contracts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know he is and if he were a Spur, you wouldn't be questioning it.

Doesn't mean you have to agree or that I do either, it's just the reality.

So a 19 year old who went the better part of a year between games, gets 2 months before being proclaimed a bust.
    Last edited by TD 21; 12-15-2020 at 05:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hornets notable 26 and under talent: Ball, Graham, Rozier, Washington, Bridges, Monk.

Spurs notable 26 and under talent: White, Poeltl, Johnson, Vassell, Murray, Walker.

At this writing, it's comparable, with the Hornets having the consensus best prospect and only one thought to have star upside.
    I would switch Murray out for Jones

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hollinger speculates Jonathan Isaac should get a 20M offer from Orlando next offseason (tempered by the ACL tear). If that is his market value, I'd be fine if San Antonio forced Orlando to match a front loaded deal. Aside from Isaac, we need to trade to move someone into our space (Towns is best case scenario of a player demanding a trade in July, imo, but who knows what the market will look like then).
    no way

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's about right. The FA class won't be terribly strong now that Giannis won't be in it, and teams overpay far more often than they underpay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isaac will be a great player but questions now on his injury history makes maxing him a dangerous decisions.

Heat essentially had role players on decent contracts and somehow still managed to max out Butler. Keeping your role players or even buying more in the off season, is not a bad strategy. You never know what star becomes available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Not even if Uncle passes away and he is remorseful. No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Not even if Uncle passes away and he is remorseful. No.
    That's not what I meant. I was addressing your point that the Spurs never trade up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston getting hammered by Philly. Preseason, but still. They need to do something to replace Hayward, talent-wise. It's amazing how above mediocre they are considering Ainge had so many chips at one point. Aldridge would be fantastic there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not what I meant. I was addressing your point that the Spurs never trade up.
    That's a rare thing. Other than nephew, how many other times has it happened?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a rare thing. Other than nephew, how many other times has it happened?
    It happened the year it needed to and that's all that matters. It's not about frequency, it's about the Spurs actually doing it. You said they never did it. But they did, and it was probably the most successful trade up in the history in the NBA. The Spurs will do it when they have to AND if they can. You can't look at every year and think it's the same playing field every time. In many years, they didn't have the assets to do so. NO team consistently trades up, so I don't know why you think frequency is something to look at.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It happened the year it needed to and that's all that matters. It's not about frequency, it's about the Spurs actually doing it. You said they never did it. But they did, and it was probably the most successful trade up in the history in the NBA. The Spurs will do it when they have to AND if they can. You can't look at every year and think it's the same playing field every time. In many years, they didn't have the assets to do so. NO team consistently trades up, so I don't know why you think frequency is something to look at.
    I said they never did? Setting up that straw man much?

Naw man, here is what I said:

"#1 does not follow what we have done in the past, and while it could earn us a more talented pick, I don't think we change the way we have done things to do this. It would take a remarkably outstanding player to see a change like that happen. Or a change in the FO, which would only happen for some terrible reason."

So it's actually consistent with what you are saying, that an exceptional player could induce them to do so.

Thread Information