Page 13 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fair enough, but if the tax is the primary concern, then ridding themselves of DeRozan should be the first priority, with Gay second. Aldridge is the best player/fit of the bunch.

People shouldn't think of 16 or 20 solely in and of themselves, but as a vehicle (along with 11) to potentially move up.
    -I think they're more likely to hold onto DeRozan for next season, unless he wants out, and I don't see an obvious trade for Gay.

Aldridge seems like the most expendable of the three to be moved, given that the Spurs played well with out him and have two options to help replace him ( assuming that they are both re-signed) and he seems unlikely to return after next season.

-Its possible that they could package any extra picks to move up; one benefit of the NBA possibly moving the draft back further is that there is additional time to work out trades for the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -I think they're more likely to hold onto DeRozan for next season, unless he wants out, and I don't see an obvious trade for Gay.

Aldridge seems like the most expendable of the three to be moved, given that the Spurs played well with out him and have two options to help replace him ( assuming that they are both re-signed) and he seems unlikely to return after next season.

-Its possible that they could package any extra picks to move up; one benefit of the NBA possibly moving the draft back further is that there is additional time to work out trades for the draft.
    There are plenty of obvious trades for Gay. Pretty much every contender would love to add Rudy to their team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I've always thought the "mid 3" were tied together, but if one were to go this off season, I'd imagine it'd be DeRozan.

It was an 8 game sample size under unusual cir stances. I wouldn't read too much into it. Besides, if they are going to lean further into the rotation we saw, then Aldridge's shooting would be crucial in that alignment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are plenty of obvious trades for Gay. Pretty much every contender would love to add Rudy to their team.
    Such as...? I don't doubt that contenders would want Gay but do they have the salary filler and needed assets to make a trade?

I know it was reported that GSW may be interested and they have a trade exception but they don't seem to have much in the way of assets.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Philly desperately needs to make some moves just for the sake of looking like they know what they are doing. I could see them, Miami, Orlando, and in play for Rudy and I would also include DEROZZ, and LMA. We also need to look at Poodle he may want out and would rather do a sign and trade then letting him walk for free

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always thought the "mid 3" were tied together, but if one were to go this off season, I'd imagine it'd be DeRozan.

It was an 8 game sample size under unusual cir stances. I wouldn't read too much into it. Besides, if they are going to lean further into the rotation we saw, then Aldridge's shooting would be crucial in that alignment.
    I wouldn't consider them to be tied together. If Aldridge gets moved then that doesn't mean that Gay or DDR would be. I don't think the Spurs want to bottom out. DeRozan is still an option, he could opt-in and then him and the team could work out a trade.

-True, though I think Poeltl has proven that he can be a solid starter and Eubanks seems perfectly capable of being a 15-18 mpg backup big man.

-Aldridge does still make sense with this team, especially if he continues to up his 3pt volume. Still, I think Aldridge is the most likely of the three to be moved for the reasons in my above post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portland isn't an obvious choice as much as it's a meme. They like Nurkic and gave him a lot of money.

Miami does make sense if their run gets derailed. Otherwise, they probably keep their asset in preparation for another trade. Remember that they seem to be pretty good at drafting themselves and then to find ways to sell high on all of the young guys they do move on from.

Also, there's nothing wrong with being "close to the tax". They just need to stay under it, and they have numerous ways of doing so that don't involve trading away their best player.
    Nurkic only has $4m guaranteed beyond the coming season, but the real reason it makes sense is that Dame wants it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -I think Portland makes sense, for a number of reasons; Aldridge seems to want to finish his career there, Lillard and Aldridge seem to want to teammates again and internal pressure from Lillard and CJ for the team to get better and limited options and limited options in which to do so.

Aldridge would mark a significant front court upgrade, essentially for the cost of the 16th pick-- which they seemed willing to trade before the trade deadline.

-Miami has a great track record of finding talent either through the draft or in the G-league. They could certainly keep their pick; viewing it as a means to find talent, or they can package it to try and improve following a likely trip to the East Finals.

Based on Riley's track record for making aggressive and splashy moves, swapping Olynyk and the 20th pick for Aldridge fits that and he'd definitely help their team.

-They can stay under the tax but it will be close, my point is that do they want to be in that position just to field a team that is unlikely to make the playoffs.

Aldridge seems likely to leave after next season, moving him in the off-season--especially after how well they played with out him, certainly seems possible. Portland and Miami should both have interest and have decent enough assets for it to make sense to move him to either.
    You listed a number of reasons why Aldridge to PDX is a meme. Practically though, there's not a place for him at that salary, and there's not a role for him on the team that makes good use of his talent. Using the 16th pick on him would be a poor use of their resources, especially because the Blazers fans don't want him back. Signing LMA for his last year in the league to go on a redemptions/retirement tour with Lillard? Sure. Using all of your assets and flexibility on a guy who won't see crunchtime minutes? Nope. DeRozan could make some real sense for the Blazers. Not Aldridge

I think Aldridge would help Miami. I also think Riley will want to use cap space to sign a guy and then try to swing a trade for another player or use the pick on depth. If Aldridge is the difference in winning a le in 2021, then trading for him makes a ton of sense. If he's not, then it doesn't, because he's not going to be the difference in 2022.

I don't think the salary matters. The team has a operational budget of the tax, and I think they'll use that money no matter what. I also don't think PATFO sees the playoffs as unlikely. They probably don't have odds over 50 percent, but their odds are as good as any of the other 8-12 teams from this year, and Utah and Houston may well drop down. I don't think under an cir stances the team will make a major move to save money. They aren't going to dump LMA. They aren't going to stash their pick. They might RJ DeRozan or let one of Lyles/Poeltl walk. Could they look to move guys for value? Sure, especially if next season starts off poorly. But even those trades are more likely to add long-term money to their books than they are to alleviate it.

And I really don't see LMA as likely to leave at all. I think he's comfortable on the team and will be interested in an extension. I don't think he'd find the free-agent market kind, and even if he wants to go to a contender, he probably sees that as coming through a trade next year than by signing a contract. No legit contender is going to use their cap space on him. Staying in SA is a no-brainer. The only scenario that makes nearly as much sense would be if Portland has to deal Nurkic to get the forward upgrade they want and then has the contracts left over to also trade for Aldridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA working on his recovery with TD was encouraging. It appears Spurs are still committed? I hope so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nurkic only has $4m guaranteed beyond the coming season, but the real reason it makes sense is that Dame wants it.
    Yes, but they didn't accidentally pay Nurkic that money. They wanted to do it, because they think he's really good.

And there's not a real reason it makes sense. Lillard hasn't been hitting the papers trying to force LMA back to Portland. I'm glad the two have patched up their feud, but that doesn't mean all of the sudden that's their top priority. Lillard wants to win more than anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such as...? I don't doubt that contenders would want Gay but do they have the salary filler and needed assets to make a trade?

I know it was reported that GSW may be interested and they have a trade exception but they don't seem to have much in the way of assets.
    Such as GS, Lakers, Clippers, Jazz, Portland. Pretty much every playoffs team would be happy to have Gay on it's roster. An Athletic 6'8" veteran that can shoot and create his own shot is always valuable in today's NBA. There won't be any shortage of suitors when it comes to Rudy, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't consider them to be tied together. If Aldridge gets moved then that doesn't mean that Gay or DDR would be. I don't think the Spurs want to bottom out. DeRozan is still an option, he could opt-in and then him and the team could work out a trade.

-True, though I think Poeltl has proven that he can be a solid starter and Eubanks seems perfectly capable of being a 15-18 mpg backup big man.

-Aldridge does still make sense with this team, especially if he continues to up his 3pt volume. Still, I think Aldridge is the most likely of the three to be moved for the reasons in my above post.
    DeRozan and Gay aren't keeping the Spurs from bottoming out.

In a vacuum, Poeltl is starting caliber, but a Lyles-DeRozan-Poeltl-White-Murray starting lineup is dangerously low on 3-point shooting. Eubanks, at least for now, is a deep bench player.

We'll see, but I suspect DeRozan is most likely of the three to be moved.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i guess POR is in a win now mode... but wouldn't they rather swing for someone else instead of la? or would they prefer la?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dame want Nurk and LMA. No way we getting Nurk now. Maybe last trading deadline when he was still hurt. Zach Collins seems like the asset we’d get back in a trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Key is to give Forbes a loaded one year contract to ensure a top five draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no problem with players getting called out for lack of effort or having too high ego. KAT had issues with others too. I like him but he needs to be winning more games. He’s looking like the crybaby who couldn’t handle a teammate that wanted to win.
    KAT is just another of those "foundation" pieces that are not actually real foundation pieces and will either eventually be traded or have to team up with 2-3 other all-stars before he ever has a chance at a chance of sniffing a ring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such as GS, Lakers, Clippers, Jazz, Portland. Pretty much every playoffs team would be happy to have Gay on it's roster. An Athletic 6'8" veteran that can shoot and create his own shot is always valuable in today's NBA. There won't be any shortage of suitors when it comes to Rudy, tbh.
    I mean specific trades. I don't doubt that contender's want Gay. I haven't really heard any yet and am curious as to possible trades that would involve Gay

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan and Gay aren't keeping the Spurs from bottoming out.

In a vacuum, Poeltl is starting caliber, but a Lyles-DeRozan-Poeltl-White-Murray starting lineup is dangerously low on 3-point shooting. Eubanks, at least for now, is a deep bench player.

We'll see, but I suspect DeRozan is most likely of the three to be moved.
    - Assuming that the Spurs don't get any players of note in return for either or both, I would disagree with that. They weren't exactly good this season, without both, the Spurs would be much worse off. Same for next season.

-True, but the bubble SL didn't exactly have a lot of shooting either but they compensated, partially, but playing up-tempo though. That will be an issue, with Lyles subbed in for Walker, though.

- I'm skeptical that DeRozan is more likely to be moved but I wouldn't be opposed to it. But in that scenario, I don't think Gay or Aldridge would be likely to be moved before the season.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KAT is just another of those "foundation" pieces that are not actually real foundation pieces and will either eventually be traded or have to team up with 2-3 other all-stars before he ever has a chance at a chance of sniffing a ring.

Chris Bosh II

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dame want Nurk and LMA. No way we getting Nurk now. Maybe last trading deadline when he was still hurt. Zach Collins seems like the asset we’d get back in a trade.
    They’re more or less redundant, and both being paid a lot of money. Neither is a modern center, switchable on D. Doesn’t make sense to spend a huge chunk of the cap on both. I don’t have strong feelings about Nurkic either way, because he doesn’t come with a huge financial burden, One year plus $4M, but I think it makes sense for PDX to move him, either to us, or a third team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You listed a number of reasons why Aldridge to PDX is a meme. Practically though, there's not a place for him at that salary, and there's not a role for him on the team that makes good use of his talent. Using the 16th pick on him would be a poor use of their resources, especially because the Blazers fans don't want him back. Signing LMA for his last year in the league to go on a redemptions/retirement tour with Lillard? Sure. Using all of your assets and flexibility on a guy who won't see crunchtime minutes? Nope. DeRozan could make some real sense for the Blazers. Not Aldridge

I think Aldridge would help Miami. I also think Riley will want to use cap space to sign a guy and then try to swing a trade for another player or use the pick on depth. If Aldridge is the difference in winning a le in 2021, then trading for him makes a ton of sense. If he's not, then it doesn't, because he's not going to be the difference in 2022.

I don't think the salary matters. The team has a operational budget of the tax, and I think they'll use that money no matter what. I also don't think PATFO sees the playoffs as unlikely. They probably don't have odds over 50 percent, but their odds are as good as any of the other 8-12 teams from this year, and Utah and Houston may well drop down. I don't think under an cir stances the team will make a major move to save money. They aren't going to dump LMA. They aren't going to stash their pick. They might RJ DeRozan or let one of Lyles/Poeltl walk. Could they look to move guys for value? Sure, especially if next season starts off poorly. But even those trades are more likely to add long-term money to their books than they are to alleviate it.

And I really don't see LMA as likely to leave at all. I think he's comfortable on the team and will be interested in an extension. I don't think he'd find the free-agent market kind, and even if he wants to go to a contender, he probably sees that as coming through a trade next year than by signing a contract. No legit contender is going to use their cap space on him. Staying in SA is a no-brainer. The only scenario that makes nearly as much sense would be if Portland has to deal Nurkic to get the forward upgrade they want and then has the contracts left over to also trade for Aldridge.
    -I think Aldridge trading for Aldridge doesn't help them with their biggest issues, on the wing, but I do think he can be a floor raiser for the Blazers. Valid point though that he probably won't be closing games or at least it would be either him or Nurkic.

I hadn't actually considered DeRozan however, I think his fit is weird with Dame and CJ. Without the ball, he mucks up the spacing and with the ball, that means that Lillard and CJ don't have the ball. They'd also have no chance of stopping anyone but that probably isn't the case now either.

-I get that the Spurs are essentially able to spend up to the tax, so long as they don't go over it. But I also think that there might be a push to shed salary given their chances of making the playoffs next season and the financial hit teams have taken.

If Aldridge returns; the Spurs let Belineli and Forbes go, and continue on with a hybrid of the RS team and the bubble team, then that's actually not a bad team. Still, I don't think they realistically have a shot of making the playoffs. Teams like Memphis, Phoenix, and GSW should be a better than they were this season, meaning that there will be a dog fight for 8th again-- at best.

-Miami does have a lot of possible cap space, and could well want to sign someone and then trade for Aldridge, but their 20th pick is the key in a potential Aldridge trade. Actually selecting a player with that pick, means that it's less of an asset to the Spurs. I don't know if they the Spurs would be interested in a trade with Miami without picks involved and having to choose from their existing young players for returning value.

-I'm doubtful that Aldridge finishes his career with the Spurs, though its not impossible. I'm curious to see how the Spurs navigate the Poeltl situation. They can re-sign him, but it seems clear that he doesn't want to be a backup going forward. They can't play together, and if Aldridge stays beyond next season-- and continues to shoot the way he has, its not unclear that his offensive game will fall off enough to make him a bench player imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -I think Aldridge trading for Aldridge doesn't help them with their biggest issues, on the wing, but I do think he can be a floor raiser for the Blazers. Valid point though that he probably won't be closing games or at least it would be either him or Nurkic.

I hadn't actually considered DeRozan however, I think his fit is weird with Dame and CJ. Without the ball, he mucks up the spacing and with the ball, that means that Lillard and CJ don't have the ball. They'd also have no chance of stopping anyone but that probably isn't the case now either.
    I think he's a floor-raiser as well. I don't think the Blazers consider that valuable at all. They need a ceiling-raiser. DeRozan is that. HE doesn't need to dominate the ball all the time. He played with a high-usage PG for years. He can add play-making to the Blazers that they don't have (even Lillard is way more of a scorer). He also give them the option to explore a McCollum trade to look for the defensive players they'll need. That's a way better use of their assets.

I get that the Spurs are essentially able to spend up to the tax, so long as they don't go over it. But I also think that there might be a push to shed salary given their chances of making the playoffs next season and the financial hit teams have taken.

If Aldridge returns; the Spurs let Belineli and Forbes go, and continue on with a hybrid of the RS team and the bubble team, then that's actually not a bad team. Still, I don't think they realistically have a shot of making the playoffs. Teams like Memphis, Phoenix, and GSW should be a better than they were this season, meaning that there will be a dog fight for 8th again-- at best.
    The Spurs are in the fortunate position of being able to keep their guys together while dodging the tax. Many clubs are caught flat-footed, so the tax payments should be high. There also should be an active trade market, which might help the Spurs as sellers, but could also help them as buyers too. They have expiring contracts and assets to trade. They will likely be much better this year too. I don't get why you're projecting them to be the same and for the other teams to get better. Some teams are going fall off as they lose talent and don't have the financial resources to replace it. Some will have worse lucky with injuries. Without trades, only the Clippers, Lakers and Nuggets are stable playoff teams. Dallas is probably up there too, but they'll likely be avoiding any contending moves until 2021's off-season. The Spurs are going to have their chances to make the playoffs. Hopefully they don't piss away gimme games against teams like Chicago next season.

-Miami does have a lot of possible cap space, and could well want to sign someone and then trade for Aldridge, but their 20th pick is the key in a potential Aldridge trade. Actually selecting a player with that pick, means that it's less of an asset to the Spurs. I don't know if they the Spurs would be interested in a trade with Miami without picks involved and having to choose from their existing young players for returning value.
    It's not at all about what SA wants. I wasn't talking about next season. I mean that he'll want to sign a guy in 2021's summer and them look to trade for a fourth star using whatever assets he has (Herro, Robinson, 2021's pick). Or he might think Butler/Adebayo/FA is enough and will be glad he's kept his assets for depth/future trades. In trading the pick for LMA or DMDR, he knows he's probably burning it for a chance at a quicker le. That might be worth it, but it's really easy to see why it wouldn't be.

-I'm doubtful that Aldridge finishes his career with the Spurs, though its not impossible. I'm curious to see how the Spurs navigate the Poeltl situation. They can re-sign him, but it seems clear that he doesn't want to be a backup going forward. They can't play together, and if Aldridge stays beyond next season-- and continues to shoot the way he has, its not unclear that his offensive game will fall off enough to make him a bench player imo.
    Poeltl isn't good enough to push Aldridge off the team. I don't really care if he wants to start. Let him go if that's the case. That's my own stance though. I think the Spurs will be willing to pay him as a starter and make an effort to work him into the rotation more before eventually settling back into something close to what he saw last year. Maybe then they'll look to trade Jakob away, likely for a dumb return.

As far as Aldridge goes, I think he has what he wants most from the NBA: A good contract, his own team and undisputed touches. If DeRozan moves on, then there's no reason why Aldridge won't be the face of the Spurs until he retires. That's why he left Portland in the first place. While I think he's matured to the point where he wouldn't run from a new Lillard, I think he's enjoyed his maturation as part of the Spurs, becoming the elder statesman of a club known for its elder statesmen. He also has his HoF chances to consider. A ring would help a lot, but swinging and missing at a ring has a cost. If he can stay for a few years in SA and put up good numbers where he can get higher up on their leaderboards and the team finds a way to have some playoff success, then he goes from long shot to "depends on who else retires that year". By far his best path is to stay, have one of the young guys develop and have SA be aggressive in free agency and trades to take a shot. That could happen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Assuming that the Spurs don't get any players of note in return for either or both, I would disagree with that. They weren't exactly good this season, without both, the Spurs would be much worse off. Same for next season.

-True, but the bubble SL didn't exactly have a lot of shooting either but they compensated, partially, but playing up-tempo though. That will be an issue, with Lyles subbed in for Walker, though.

- I'm skeptical that DeRozan is more likely to be moved but I wouldn't be opposed to it. But in that scenario, I don't think Gay or Aldridge would be likely to be moved before the season.
    I'd think they'd get a player(s) of note for DeRozan, then redistribute his touches to create a more modern shot profile, plus play better defensive personnel. Basically, what's happened with the Raptors, who immediately improved without both. Obviously, unexpected developments from youth played a role.

Again, small sample size though.

They'd probably have a talk with Aldridge in particular if DeRozan is moved. See what he wants to do.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only reason we have championships is we Tanked for David Robinson and then we Tanked for Timmy Duncan forget this death from a thousand cuts. Just blow it up if it is possible trade LMA, DEROZZ, Gay, and Murray if we get a decent return ie picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team didn't tank for Robinson. They were legit bad.

Thread Information