My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ahh the Clippers
    Dang. Good pickup by the clippers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm surprised they had enough space to outbid the other teams... unless it is a S&T... on the other hand Toronto needs to acquire a big now.... o LMA...
    Would be ironic that we send a player to Toronto and it isn't DDR. I'm all for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ibaka to Clippers-- good signing for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 years 19M... 2nd year PO

Woj
    Not bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ibaka to Clippers-- good signing for them.
    Easier to attract vet player with cheap deal when you are a contender. Spurs used to do it with Lee, West and Mike Miller.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shams Charania ShamsCharania

Free agent Kent Bazemore has agreed to a one-year deal with the Golden State Warriors, agent Austin Walton tells @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.
    11:42am · 22 Nov 2020 · TweetDeck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Free agent Torrey Craig has reached agreement on a deal with the Milwaukee Bucks, his agents Dave Spahn and Austin Brown of @CAA_Basketball tell ESPN.
    11:16am · 22 Nov 2020 · Twitter Web App

17m
    An important fit for the Bucks, especially because of the way Craig can guard all over the floor. With Denver, Michael Malone used Craig to defend many of the elite wings in the Western Conference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Free agent Harry Giles has agreed to a one-year deal with the Portland Trail Blazers, source tells ESPN.
    10:48am · 22 Nov 2020 · Twitter Web App

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bojdanovic signs offer sheet from the Hawks for 4 years at $72 million. Not bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Free agent C Damian Jones has agreed to a two-year deal with the Phoenix Suns, sources tell ESPN.
    12:21pm · 22 Nov 2020 · Twitter Web App

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bojdanovic signs offer sheet from the Hawks for 4 years at $72 million. Not bad.
    Well there goes the landing spot for DDR.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First offer sheet of FA? Guess it’s unlikely Sac. matches unless they arrange a trade for Buddy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good gamble by POR on Giles. No risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So SAs moves were drafting at the spot they already possessed.

The only options Pop has to choose from that didn’t already exist last season are Vassell & Tre .

They saw this squad last year and thought: let’s not take improving it seriously and make it more expensive. I can see that logic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The only options Pop has to choose from that didn’t already exist last season are Vassell & Tre .

They saw this squad last year and thought: let’s not take improving it seriously and make it more expensive. I can see that logic.
    I'll stop watching completely if Vassell is glued to the bench for the first half of the season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The real move imo and i'm happy with that is let forbes and beli go , the youth will play more and just for that it's a good offseason for me. Plus the Spurs will have a lot of cap next year.

Like you or others i wanted a reboot with trading derozan or LA but there is still time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real move imo and i'm happy with that is let forbes and beli go , the youth will play more and just for that it's a good offseason for me. Plus the Spurs will have a lot of cap next year.

Like you or others i wanted a reboot with trading derozan or LA but there is still time.
    I wanted more of a reboot for sure. But if they couldn’t trade I wanted max space as possible and didn’t even get that. I also wanted them to maybe trade for win now guys if that was their plan and didn’t get that either.

They did...nothing. But at least they didn’t make a massive mistake with Bryn and Beli. That’s a good thing.

For a team not wanting to embrace a rebuild really I don’t classify just drafting as making moves. They did nothing really.

No matter how we slice it, the only new players pop has to choose from to try and help win more is Vassell and Tre. That’s it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree but like you said at least they did''n't make a mistake. If the young core plays a lot i think we'll have a fun year. We'll see.

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there any way the Spurs can sign Bogdan Bogdanovic through a sign-and-trade? Even if it means letting Derozan go? Derozan is back to Cali, where he likes. I think Bogdan can provide great shooting and create for our players, he could even mentor Devin Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree but like you said at least they did''n't make a mistake. If the young core plays a lot i think we'll have a fun year. We'll see.
    Agree. All my bemoaning was bigger picture. They will be fun IF Mills is buried

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted more of a reboot for sure. But if they couldn’t trade I wanted max space as possible and didn’t even get that. I also wanted them to maybe trade for win now guys if that was their plan and didn’t get that either.

They did...nothing. But at least they didn’t make a massive mistake with Bryn and Beli. That’s a good thing.

For a team not wanting to embrace a rebuild really I don’t classify just drafting as making moves. They did nothing really.

No matter how we slice it, the only new players pop has to choose from to try and help win more is Vassell and Tre. That’s it.
    "Max space possible" was always going to be "max space while keeping the younger players. I don't remember you wanting to salary-dump Murray to open up more space.

The question has to be how much cap space do they need to maximize their utility. The marginal increase in cap space that comes from Poeltl signing a smaller deal isn't going to make a difference, and if the goal is to parlay that cap space into pieces that compliment the Spurs' young players, then it's pretty obvious that Poeltl is a good use of that money. You need a good big to help develop the guards, and having one around White's age who already has chemistry with him seems like a good bet. If you're just worried about space to trade for bad contracts and incentive, the $3 or $4 Million at most that the Spurs won't have because Poeltl played hardball usually amounts to a second-round pick on the market, maybe even just cash and a fake pick. It's not worth it. You basically have to say that Poeltl couldn't've signed a deal that would make him worth keeping, because the marginal opportunity cost just isn't there. S&Ting him and getting something for him and still having cap space is defensible. Letting him walk because you want $8 Million more in space really isn't.

And to points like timvp has made about this being a unique window for space before the team has to re-sign young players: I don't think the Spurs should plan on re-signing any but their best young players. I know that seems weird after the thing with Poeltl, but if you're going to rebuild like the Spurs have been, you need to be willing to dump young guys who aren't part of the core and turn them into more chances. That means maybe picking one of White or Murray and certainly no more than two of White, Murray and Walker. Don't tie $50-60 Million on non-star guards. Cap space will atrophy regardless just because of raises within contracts. But nothing is stopping SA from going into 2023 with a max slot as well if they can avoid locking up a mediocre core like SAC has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t want guys dumped. I only wanted max space as possible with simply not bringing guys back. Been pretty clear on it. Especially with regards to Jakob and context there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t want guys dumped. I only wanted max space as possible with simply not bringing guys back. Been pretty clear on it. Especially with regards to Jakob and context there.
    That's not clear though. What does it mean to "bring guys back". Does that mean not bringing White back? I doubt it. The term has to mean something. It has to come with a plan, not just doing something to do something. What's the practical difference between $52 Million and $55 Million and $60 Million? What does SA get with the biggest number that they wouldn't get with the smallest? The opposite is obvious. They wouldn't have a starting center that has chemistry with the young guards. Is that worth a second-round pick? Is it even worth two or three? I don't think it's even close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not clear though. What does it mean to "bring guys back". Does that mean not bringing White back? I doubt it. The term has to mean something. It has to come with a plan, not just doing something to do something. What's the practical difference between $52 Million and $55 Million and $60 Million? What does SA get with the biggest number that they wouldn't get with the smallest? The opposite is obvious. They wouldn't have a starting center that has chemistry with the young guards. Is that worth a second-round pick? Is it even worth two or three? I don't think it's even close.
    Dude lol I clearly explained this. Bring guys back was referring to free agents: Bryn, Beli and Jakob. I said my scenario included White extension.

That’s how I framed every thing I’ve been saying for a long while now

Thread Information