Page 1 of 110 123451151101 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    it barely hit that there'll be no more spurs basketball until... ??? i'd bet on christmas day but the POs aren't supposed to end until october... so... maybe late-january?

anyways:

under contract free agent player option
    la ($24) marco demar ($27.7)
    dj ($14.3) poeltl
    rudy ($14) forbes (thank god)
    patty ($13.3) eubanks
    trey ($5.5) quinndary
    derrick ($3.5)
    lonnie ($2.9)
    luka ($2.8)
    zeller ($2.4)
    kj ($2)
    metu ($1.7)

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i believe demar has seven days to make a decision on opting in, and i believe he will opt in 100%.

spurs don't have any real cap space but two things i think they should do:
    -acquire an elite 3&D SF
    -sign dwight howard

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zeller?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    yeah, idk about his contract other then the amount is not fully guaranteed per: https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/SAS.html.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    IDK how it is now but it used to be that if you aren't in the POs then you can make trades.

unfortunately, i really don't see the spurs moving demar (at least until halfway thru the season).

maybe la will ask for trade to POR. you could hardly blame him. he has to be kicking himself... what was it, one year with TD, two with manu, and one with kawhi... sucks for him, he came to the spurs to win.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    watch POOP let one of these, if not all, walk so he can sign his friend....

we all know he cant help himself...

Plus this Covid 19 Hysteria and the ensuing inevitable economic meltdown is going to affect that salary cap.
    ugh.

i was gonna say there's no way pop resigns forbes... that he's gonna treat him like boban.

but bryn hasn't been playing so his market value won't be anywhere near boban's... which makes me think the spurs might resign him

my gut says they won't though.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    For Eubanks and Quindarry (are you sure its not a 2 year two way contract for Q)? on the Two way contracts
    i'm just going by https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/SAS.html.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IDK how it is now but it used to be that if you aren't in the POs then you can make trades.

unfortunately, i really don't see the spurs moving demar (at least until halfway thru the season).

maybe la will ask for trade to POR. you could hardly blame him. he has to be kicking himself... what was it, one year with TD, two with manu, and one with kawhi... sucks for him, he came to the spurs to win.
    He came to the spurs to win but he didn't behave as a winner should have done when the Spurs, with him and the big four still there, were effectively a contender. I know that he's a good player and probably the best one we had after the Kawhi saga, but I wouldn't be suprised to hear some years from now thet the main reason why Kawhi left was the too much deference shown by our FO to LA and his preferred (also if detrimental for the team) playing style...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    He came to the spurs to win but he didn't behave as a winner should have done when the Spurs, with him and the big four still there, were effectively a contender. I know that he's a good player and probably the best one we had after the Kawhi saga, but I wouldn't be suprised to hear some years from now thet the main reason why Kawhi left was the too much deference shown by our FO to LA and his preferred (also if detrimental for the team) playing style...
    hmm, i really don't see that as being the main reason... if it was then the spurs could've adjusted their style or even shipped la out and problem solved.

also, kawhi was dead set on being in LA. that's where he wanted to be traded to... and during his free agency, i don't think he even flirted with another market.

if anything, i'd say:
    a) kawhi wanted to be in LA
    b) kawhi wasn't happy with who the FO was surrounding him with / there was that rumor that spurs didn't want to trade for paul george
    c) tony parker's comments were the last straw

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    actually, i put kawhi’s uncle being a fücking asshole as #1 on the list of why he wanted out of sa.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I Agree and I also agree with you comment above...but the b) part of it directly include the LA problem...simply because he was considered the main fit along with n°2 for making our team contenders for at least the next five years. What happened instead has been that LA for his character issues and playing style proved to be more committed in mantainig his nba player value than on winning at all costs puting himself at service of team goals. You want tom tell me that its not a disappointment for Kawhi passing the role of main player of the team after having accomplished the finals MVP? and pasing it to a very good player with no les? a player that by himself has determined a sort of change in the philosophy and playing strategy of the team (from the team game of the "beautiful game" plus some iso plays for K to the "LA needs his touches above everybody else")?
    I have been one of the most hard against Kawhi and his uncle because I really considered their behavior both dishonest and unappreciative for what the FO and the city of SA has done for them and their economical situation (considering the point from where they started), and I fankly have always considered their conduct as part of a fraud against the team.
    Imho it was just a choice of convenience for us not to proceed against them by nba rules .
    That said its obvious that a lot of the more recent team choices have been , simply said, completely wrong...

Starting from the Scola saga (he's still playing in Europe...always inesplicable to me how we never realized he could have been a very good player for us, expecially considering his Argentine connection with Manu) the main ones have been the Mills and Gasol extensions and the said above passing the main player torch from Kawhi to Lamarcus

But also the Toronto trade cant be considered exactly a win (till we'll see the KJ development)

and the Russell contract was simply awful

Enough to have more than a doubt on the lzst years team FO brain about contract extensions and free agents evaluation.

So, just to put an end on this post, no doubt that kawhi behavior has been horrible...but the last thing we can say, once some time is passed, is that :
    a) He (and his uncle) made a wrong opportunistic choice;
    b) Once he (rightly) considered himself the main player of the team, the team has done all the right moves to build the future of the team and in any case to appease his will and pride

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow that deal for Dejounte Murray...
    He has disappointed. I am in the camp that overestimated his value too. He may yet live up to a role that justifies that salary but it is looking like an overpay at this point, particularly when White is better and it doesn't look like they can afford to pay him without some kind of trade. There are potential trades in the future IMO, maybe LMA or Demar, but I can't let them see White just leave in FA when his time comes (because he has value, and they can get an asset for him at the very least, if they aren't going to pay him, but they should want to keep him.)
    Last edited by SAGirl; 08-14-2020 at 06:38 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's with the totally negative bull on the site lately? People have wanted rebuilding since 2010 - this is rebuilding.

Wow that deal for Dejounte Murray...
    He has disappointed. I am in the camp that overestimated his value too. He may yet live up to a role that justifies that salary but it is looking like an overpay at this point,
    DJM's extension hasn't even kicked in yet. He's still playing on $2 mil per and comfortably outperforming it. If he's this bad next season you might have a point, although the improvement in his shooting percentages from all over the field is already very encouraging. Kid's only 23. White was 23 when he debuted for the Spurs and he wasn't exactly good his first two seasons.

particularly when White is better and it doesn't look like they can afford to pay him without some kind of trade. There are potential trades in the future IMO, maybe LMA or Demar, but I can't let them see White just leave in FA when his time comes (because he has value, and they can get an asset for him at the very least, if they aren't going to pay him, but they should want to keep him.)
    Totally wrong. They can keep him and they can do it easily without any moves if they want to. He's contracted for one more year. His possible extension/new contract will kick in in the summer where the Spurs have about $15 mil committed to the salary cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJM's extension hasn't even kicked in yet.
    This is a thread about next season, so I am commenting on his salary for that season. That he was paid 2 mill this year has no place in a thread that is evaluating the roster and salaries for next year. And he was given the extension based on potential before this season. I do think we are all allowed to use our eyes to evaluate whether he would have gotten that money had he simply hit FA this summer. It's hindsight, but its a reasonable inference. I said he may yet live up to that extension, but it doesn't look like it right now based on marginal improvement. He improved his shot but he's not a volume shooter. His PG skills continue to be lacking and the more time goes by the more I am convinced that he simply is what he is in that regard...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a thread about next season, so I am commenting on his salary for that season. That he was paid 2 mill this year has no place in a thread that is evaluating the roster and salaries for next year. And he was given the extension based on potential before this season. I do think we are all allowed to use our eyes to evaluate whether he would have gotten that money had he simply hit FA this summer. It's hindsight, but its a reasonable inference. I said he may yet live up to that extension, but it doesn't look like it right now based on marginal improvement. He improved his shot but he's not a volume shooter. His PG skills continue to be lacking and the more time goes by the more I am convinced that he simply is what he is in that regard...
    Not sure what you've expected but his shooting improvement has been anything but marginal. He's also improved his assist to turnover %, so his decision making has been better, albeit still not great. People might have had unrealistic expectations, but I expect the Spurs would be quite happy with what he's shown post injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is young and point guards usually takes longer time to blossum. You don't give up on a young pg. Heck, if he just becomes a consistent 3 point threat, he'll have a career like Patricks Beverly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don’t think you can move DeMar until his option date has passed. We also cannot trade with any team still in the bubble, in the playoffs, so a LaMarcus trade would also have to wait.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs took a gamble they could give him a decent contract since he was coming off injury or they could have let him come back and prove himself and then pay him a much bigger contract. I am not going to write him off but I will write him off next season as our starting PG that le is Whites. He should start but as a starter they need to leave him in as SG and tell him to run to corner and shoot the 3 ball he can take PG duties as backup PG with second unit.

I think Lyles has a 5 million option next year not sure if it’s players or team? I would not mind him coming back for one more year. My only issue is he is like Anderson in offense he never wants to shoot the 3 ball and when he does it’s feast or famine.

Rudy as I said before value is at an all time high from his bubble play I would try and work a trade if at all possible we need a rebuild and hopefully he can get us a mid late first rounder.

LMA - He has one more year if he is open to a trade to someone other then Portland then I would explore all options.

DEROZZ- I liked his play in the bubble he really stood out as someone willing to help the young guys and was putting up nice numbers. He has opted in for next year have no idea what Spurs will do with him long term?

Forbes - better be gone he is seriously stunting the growth of the kids.
    Mills - if he is willing to sign a team friendly deal OK we need some role models on the team
    Eubanks - Depends on who we draft and if LMA stays
    Metu - I think will be released as he is not a Pop guy
    Poodle - If LMA stays I could see him wanting to leave for starter position and more minutes hopefully we could work a sign and trade I think he could be flipped for a mid to late first rounder ie. Boston

Draft - Obi PF or Vassell at SF or Patrick Williams SF/PF or Saddia Bey SF/PF

But Spurs will probably draft Kira Lewis PG or Aleksej Pokuseuski PF.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i think murray will improve enough to justify his contract.

the $ does increase year after year but at least the spurs will get to see what they have before they're paying him $16.6 and $17.7 the final two years.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Murray is young and point guards usually takes longer time to blossum. You don't give up on a young pg. Heck, if he just becomes a consistent 3 point threat, he'll have a career like Patricks Beverly.
    good point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pat bev being paid 13 mil a year

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    it's not saying a whole lot but i can definitely see murray being better than george hill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No poop makes successful off season

And Forbes gone

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    on demar:
    Additionally, there aren't many teams that are projected to have cap space this offseason, limiting DeRozan's options. Other than the Spurs, the four teams that came to mind when thinking about potential destinations for the four-time All-Star should he decide to test free agency are the Detroit Pistons, New York Knicks, Charlotte Hornets and Denver Nuggets. Denver would give him the best chance of competing for a championship, whereas Detroit, New York and Charlotte would be his best chance of securing another big deal.
    https://ca.nba.com/news/whats-next-f...t1sylxknsa0cbr

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as far as forwards in free agency I would look at Saric, Otto Porter, Grant, Christian Wood, Gallinari and Harry Giles. As veteran bigs I'd look at Ibaka, Millsap and Marc Gasol. I think I would let Lyles walk and try to trade Gay after his bubble performance. He just can't keep that up for an entire season. Sign a young guy for starting PF and a vet for the bench

Thread Information