Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, agree 100%... I'd go as far to say that if Forbes averaged 20 mpg this season instead of 25 mpg, the Spurs would be in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This makes my head hurt. Especially Kori's, likely dead-on, premonition. I'm sure Pop was just trying to raise his value for the sake of his kids. Hopefully someone bites.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amen

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is terrible.

There is no salary he's acceptable at anymore. Maybe if Mills was traded, but even then, Weatherspoon is probably better.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Forbes alone has cost the spurs at least 4-5 games. How many close games did the spurs lose, cause Forbes couldnt guard a hydrant, while better players like White, Johnson or Poeltl were sitting and watching this catastrophe.

No Forbes, Spurs Playoffs. Somehow i think pop wanted to end the streak on purpose. Thats why forbes played so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp can you change the "happy", "amused", "excited", "indifferent", "sad", "angry" reactions on the articles? Many times they don't reflect what we feel. For example this piece, I'm 100% with you on the matter, but how should I react? I'm neither happy, excited, sad or anything else there. I would just like to put "like" or "I agree".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes alone has cost the spurs at least 4-5 games. How many close games did the spurs lose, cause Forbes couldnt guard a hydrant, while better players like White, Johnson or Poeltl were sitting and watching this catastrophe.

No Forbes, Spurs Playoffs. Somehow i think pop wanted to end the streak on purpose. Thats why forbes played so much.
    10-15 games , not exaggerating

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could go on and on on the shortcomings of Forbes but we all allready know what they are even those that won't admit it. So I won't beat that dead horse...

However him taking minutes away from players that that are clearly much better then him is pure insanity. It's like taking a Prius to a race trackmeet when you have a Ferrari sitting in your garage.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice kid but it’s time to move on and Mills is the exact same player so we don’t need two undersized SG in the team. Some team could use him Lort know Philly needs some outside shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean timvp's writing is always excellent (the main reason I come here) but did we really need yet another thread bashing Forbes? You had to know people were just going to pile on.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, i think the main problem was we went into the season thinking two forwards would be big contributors but they weren't (Morris, Carroll).
    Those players didn't matter once the season was under way because they were non factors playing wise. Bryn started and played lots of minutes over better players. He's definitely a case of subtraction by addition.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they resign Forbes I feel like Mills will be traded to the Warriors for a couple 2nd’s. Maybe that’s why Mills didn’t play that much in the bubble?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had a dream that nephew was back on the team.......it felt so real lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hopefully this quote from Pop isn't as damning as it appears on the surface. This feels like a loaded question for the reporter to ask.

What is Pop supposed to say? "Yeah, we don't really like his short ass and can't wait to be rid of him"?

Also, this came at the beginning of this season when Forbes was still coming off an overachieving year...I wonder if Pop would still feel the same after another season of watching him (and the team) underperform.

Either way, Pop is never going to be the guy to throw his own players under the bus (accept for when he annually pulls the soft card, but he does that for the team as a whole). If Pop can say nice things that will help a guy get a payday elsewhere (like Boban, J-Simms, Anderson, Baynes, etc..) he will try to do that.

That said, I definitely do not want Forbes back next season. Like OP said, we already are hamstrung at the SG position and any minutes given to Bryn would just be stunting the development of more talented and well-rounded players Murray, White, Walker, KJ, and even Witherspoon.

The only way Bryn makes sense is a spark-plug off the bench or filling garbage time, but if the last two seasons have taught us anything, I don't trust Pop to use him in that capacity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they resign Forbes I feel like Mills will be traded to the Warriors for a couple 2nd’s. Maybe that’s why Mills didn’t play that much in the bubble?
    This.

I saw an article from a golden state themed website a few weeks back that said they were looking closely at the Spurs this off season to possibly have a fire sale on vets. The two players they are looking at are Mills and Rudy. Golden state is one of the few organizations I think Pop would be willing to trade Mills to seeing as they will be a strong team and Pop has a good relationship with Kerr. If there was ever a time to extract value out of Mills this is the time to do it. If Pop is serious about going all in on the youth next season, a culture reset seems inevitable.

With that said i feel if they do trade Mills we are probably keeping Forbes, but if he is willing to take the backseat spark plug off the bench role Mills has occupied it may not be all that bad to keep Forbes if the price is right and lets be honest, the Spurs have the upper hand on those negotiations.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

I saw an article from a golden state themed website a few weeks back that said they were looking closely at the Spurs this off season to possibly have a fire sale on vets. The two players they are looking at are Mills and Rudy. Golden state is one of the few organizations I think Pop would be willing to trade Mills to seeing as they will be a strong team and Pop has a good relationship with Kerr. If there was ever a time to extract value out of Mills this is the time to do it. If Pop is serious about going all in on the youth next season, a culture reset seems inevitable.

With that said i feel if they do trade Mills we are probably keeping Forbes, but if he is willing to take the backseat spark plug off the bench role Mills has occupied it may not be all that bad to keep Forbes if the price is right and lets be honest, the Spurs have the upper hand on those negotiations.
    I agree with this... I think we keep either Mills or Forbes. I'm hoping we keep Mills because I do think he adds more stability along side the young guys and his contract comes off next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How confident really are y’all that the spurs aren’t gonna resign him patty mills style at midnight? It’s gonna happen... you can feel it.... It’s a damn disgrace that some posters here have more sense when it comes to this than pop does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can do nothing well. Even his best "skill", shooting, isn't very good. He's a chucker more than anything.

Can not pass, run an offense, or break down a defense.

THERE IS NOT A PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE HE CAN GUARD.

Not even valuable as an end of the bench piece as there are countless "shooters" in this league, some of which will be cheaper.

We already have two of those aforementioned shooters in Belinelli and Mills. Both are better players.

He isn't even a bargain at his current deal considering all his issues, and he will likely expect MORE.

We already have so many guards. He will only take PT away from better players.

He will likely be out of the league in a few years.

If he did stay, he will not only be overpaid but overplayed. He will never be the 15th man which is where he belongs if you're forced to shoehorn him onto the team.

There is literally no reason to retain him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean timvp's writing is always excellent (the main reason I come here) but did we really need yet another thread bashing Forbes? You had to know people were just going to pile on.
    I don't disagree.

But if there is one thing the Spurs could do that will piss me off this offseason, it will be bringing back Forbes (especially if we overpay him).

I'm fine with DeMar opting in. I'm fine with Aldridge and Gay coming back. I'm fine with us having another quiet offseason where we don't make any blockbuster moves (like usual).

But Forbes has become my scapegoat, and I will die on this hill if I need to.

Seems like a nice kid, but....bye Felicia.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree.

But if there is one thing the Spurs could do that will piss me off this offseason, it will be bringing back Forbes (especially if we overpay him).

I'm fine with DeMar opting in. I'm fine with Aldridge and Gay coming back. I'm fine with us having another quiet offseason where we don't make any blockbuster moves (like usual).

But Forbes has become my scapegoat, and I will die on this hill if I need to.

Seems like a nice kid, but....bye Felicia.
    It's a reasonable hill to die on. There are plenty of graphs that show this MF'er at the bottom of the league, but you don't even need numbers to see that there wasn't a player he "guarded" that didn't all over him this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the type of guy who COWERS on defense. He's the guy who moves out of the way. He's the one who allows his man to blow by him and watch his big guy behind him deal with it, taking his eyes off his next rotation. He's the guy who is the one missing all those important rotations in the big moments. He's the one who gives up 20 then throws up 3 fingers when he goes 1 of 8 from three. You play Forbes and you will hemorrhage points. Plain and simple. Teams were zeroing in on him all season.

Having Forbes and playing him is like shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to the ultimate goal of contending. It's like giving everyone else a head start in the race.
    Last edited by TimDunkem; 08-17-2020 at 11:04 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tried making a thread about his positive traits and play but everyone lost their in it and just bashed him. Sad really. The dude would be a fan favorite on any other franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I home derozan demands spurs let him walk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tried making a thread about his positive traits and play but everyone lost their in it and just bashed him. Sad really. The dude would be a fan favorite on any other franchise.
    lmao No he wouldn't. No one likes the guy who gives up 20 every night then throws up his fingers when he goes 1 for 8.

And, yeah, that's reasonable when you try to polish a turd or put lipstick on a pig.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being a "fan favorite" doesn't bring results.

Marks was a fan favorite. Bonner was a fan favorite. Boban was a fan favorite.

No one is saying Bryn is a bad guy, or that he isn't like by the fans or his teammates. The problem is that he is just not suited to be a high-level NBA player (and may even be a fringe NBA player).

Those things don't always co-exist.

Thread Information