Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here it is for the ones willing to post or who care to.

I'm pretty meh about the whole vibe of it myself. Pre recorded speeches will not land in my opinion. Will work for old Joe though. I'm sure he's on his 50th take as I type this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be worse choices than Joe and Kamala

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Speakers tonight:

Former first lady Mic e Obama
    Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders
    Nevada Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto
    New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo
    Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer
    Rep. Jim Clyburn of South Carolina
    Convention Chairman Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi
    Rep. Gwen Moore of Wisconsin
    former Ohio Republican Gov. John Kasich
    Sen. Doug Jones of Alabama
    Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota

Other than Bernie and Mic e Obama, what a ing milquetoast show. Who the decided making Doug Jones a speaker was a good idea?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speakers tonight:

Other than Bernie and Mic e Obama, what a ing milquetoast show. Who the decided making Doug Jones a speaker was a good idea?
    Bland list overall.

But I guess the upside is that we get rid of all the republicans in one night so from Tuesday the lineup should vastly improve. A name that stuck out to me was Cortez Masto. That should make the Univision watchers happy.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    They're so bent on excluding younger, more progressive black voices like Ayanna Pressley because they don't want progressives getting name recognition that, beyond the Obamas, the black speaker list includes the oldest establishment relics they can find (Jim Clyburn, Bennie Thompson, Gwen Moore). None of those speakers are going to inspire black millennials to be first time voters, it's the same tired faces they see promising reform every 4 years and never delivering.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speakers tonight:

I'm looking forward to the 60 seconds they gave Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez though. Just enough time to rub one out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speakers tonight:

he's probably going to lose his seat in a few months... maybe getting him exposure is a hail mary swing without much cost investment to help him in that race

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be worse choices than Joe and Kamala
    Trump and Pence

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    he's probably going to lose his seat in a few months... maybe getting him exposure is a hail mary swing without much cost investment to help him in that race
    I can think of much better ways to spend limited convention time than throwing a hail mary in Alabama (once Tuberville won the primary he had no shot, I think he was 10+% down in the last poll). If Doug Jones was a good speaker I'd be fine with it, but he's a milquetoast white guy who doesn't appeal to any voters at the national level. If you're going to fill an open space with a moderate white male, at least make it a moderate white male from an important state.

Hopefully I'm wrong but it just seems like they're taking the progressive vote for granted and doubling down on the tone deaf at ude that progressive voters will show up no matter what, particularly when it comes to progressive black/progressive hispanic voters (both of which have made it clear they have no enthusiasm for Biden).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Romney would have been an epic invite

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can think of much better ways to spend limited convention time than throwing a hail mary in Alabama (once Tuberville won the primary he had no shot, I think he was 10+% down in the last poll). If Doug Jones was a good speaker I'd be fine with it, but he's a milquetoast white guy who doesn't appeal to any voters at the national level. If you're going to fill an open space with a moderate white male, at least make it a moderate white male from an important state.

Hopefully I'm wrong but it just seems like they're taking the progressive vote for granted and doubling down on the tone deaf at ude that progressive voters will show up no matter what, particularly when it comes to progressive black/progressive hispanic voters (both of which have made it clear they have no enthusiasm for Biden).
    progressives who at this point are undecided and need to be given more token speakers to sway them are dip s and go themselves, honestly.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    progressives who at this point are undecided and need to be given more token speakers to sway them are dip s and go themselves, honestly.
    Couldn't agree more, but their vote (and non-vote) counts, and I think it's much easier to get their vote than it is to get Republican votes by trotting John Kasich out there. There's no polling data that indicates a substantial amount of moderate Republicans are ready to vote against Trump, notwithstanding on the hnest brkers on this site who claim they're considering it.

I'm also not talking about the "undecided" voters but more the disaffected millennials where not voting is the status quo.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Progressive voters = Antonio Brown

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Couldn't agree more, but their vote (and non-vote) counts, and I think it's much easier to get their vote than it is to get Republican votes by trotting John Kasich out there. There's no polling data that indicates a substantial amount of moderate Republicans are ready to vote against Trump, notwithstanding on the hnest brkers on this site who claim they're considering it.

I'm also not talking about the "undecided" voters but more the disaffected millennials where not voting is the status quo.
    its hard to fathom a progressive who is so turned off by biden/kamala that he thinks they're "literally the same thing as trump" also being swayed because of 1-2 more progressive speakers at the convention

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    its hard to fathom a progressive who is so turned off by biden/kamala that he thinks they're "literally the same thing as trump" also being swayed because of 1-2 more progressive speakers at the convention
    Agreed there, I'm talking about the "meh Biden might be better than Trump but I don't give enough of a to vote because muh Bernie didn't win" voter.

Unlike Shillary, I actually think Biden has embraced a progressive platform to a certain extent. His proposal to raise the cap gains tax to the normal income tax rate was bolder than anything Hillary ever proposed. It'd be stupid to have a speaker list that makes it so Biden doesn't get credit from progressives for compromising with them.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that white suburban women might be the group that could be the folk who would be ready to vote against Trump, continuing the 2018 trend. I don't know who would be the token for that group. Whitman?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that white suburban women might be the group that could be the folk who would be ready to vote against Trump, continuing the 2018 trend. I don't know who would be the token for that group. Whitman?
    could get tulsi up there for the incel vote. she wont need much time. just go up and say "war bad, regime change bad"... mention her service, and get off the stage

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    You guys fuel their hatred for old white men, then present them with an old white man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys fuel their hatred for old white men, then present them an old white man.
    i dont have any hatred for old white men. just old white men who dont give a about the problems of others or people outside their zip codes, etc

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think it's the other way around.

They are taking the black/latino vote for granted while courting disaffected republicans to make up for the lack of proggresive enthusiasm and or vote.

If it were me I'd much rather spend time courting the proggresives rather than the cookie cutter voter who is likely to Darrin his way into a Trump vote anyways.

I think they saw what happened in the primaries with the Bernie voters and how they didn't vote in large enough numbers to make a difference so they might be thinking they're a loss cause.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It's hard with them because some suburban women like seeing female speakers, while a lot of other ones subconsciously don't like seeing women in positions of power and react better to white men. Klobuchar might be the token for that group.

could get tulsi up there for the incel vote

The incels like Yang too, albeit not as much.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard with them because some suburban women like seeing female speakers, while a lot of other ones subconsciously don't like seeing women in positions of power and react better to white men. Klobuchar might be the token for that group.
    Could be. She does have the personal story of her husband's bout with COVID. Whitmer might be bigger than either of us suspect.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I think it's the other way around.

They are taking the black/latino vote for granted while courting disaffected republicans to make up for the lack of proggresive enthusiasm and or vote.

If it were me I'd much rather spend time courting the proggresives rather than the cookie cutter voter who is likely to Darrin his way into a Trump vote anyways.

I think they saw what happened in the primaries with the Bernie voters and how they didn't vote in large enough numbers to make a difference so they might be thinking they're a loss cause.
    They don't seem to be taking the black vote for granted as much as their just awful at appealing to black millennials. They clearly see the black vote as one monolith that will show up as long as there's a black woman as VP and trot a few of the black establishment has beens out there as speakers. They know they have a black millennial problem, they just don't care about fixing it or don't know how to.

They're never going to appeal to Hispanics without a platform that includes Medicare for all. That's the issue Hispanics care most about and why they like Bernie so much.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eva Longoria will speak but let's give AOC 60 seconds.

I dont particularly care for AOC but I would rather watch her than ing Eva Longoria. What does she bring?

Also, no Beto either.

This is looking like a disaster already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eva Longoria will speak but let's give AOC 60 seconds.

I dont particularly care for AOC but I would rather watch her than ing Eva Longoria. What does she bring?

Also, no Beto either.

This is looking like a disaster already.
    you would rather watch AOC than Eva Longoria?

Thread Information