Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, and the War on Drugs, by getting a lot of black folks and libs in prison meant those people couldn't vote.

War on Drugs started with Nixon, may he burn in forever.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    please get me tickets

Please get me tickets (x2)
    Have some dignity, man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have some dignity, man.
    Uh this is a fan forum right? Move along dude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh this is a fan forum right? Move along dude.
    Fan forum =/= panhandle alley

Move along, yourself, beggar boy.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The War on Drugs was never meant to be won. It was meant to subjugate hippies and black people for smoking marijuana and let off rich white assholes for doing cocaine. It was meant to fill prisons and supply the prison-industrial complex with a load of money. We have by far the largest incarcerated population in the world, by an incredible amount, because cops and judges just jam any black person they can into jail. Most of the time it's for nonviolent offenses like drug possession.

Welcome to America. Freedom.

Exactly. Nixon’s team literally laid out this game plan. Because you couldn’t be outwardly and obviously racist anymore, the War on drugs became a useful go between for the same purpose. Besides, even if the War on drugs was somehow honest, attacking it from purely a supply side and not a demand side is very disingenuous

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The War on Drugs was never meant to be won. It was meant to subjugate hippies and black people for smoking marijuana and let off rich white assholes for doing cocaine. It was meant to fill prisons and supply the prison-industrial complex with a load of money. We have by far the largest incarcerated population in the world, by an incredible amount, because cops and judges just jam any black person they can into jail. Most of the time it's for nonviolent offenses like drug possession.

Welcome to America. Freedom.
    Agreed and much like the other useless wars America has fought after WW2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m certainly a supporter of our law enforcement personnel and other first responders who are tasked with keeping us safe from those in our society that can’t follow the laws our elected representatives have passed. I disagree with Pop on most of his political rants because he’s a leftist and I’m not, but he’s right that public service unions, whether they be police, fire or any other public employee union have too much power when they are able to collectively bargain. Even FDR warned against public employees unionizing as being against the interest of the tax paying public. The police unions have made it almost impossible to get rid of bad cops. Same thing with many of the civil service rules.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m certainly a supporter of our law enforcement personnel and other first responders who are tasked with keeping us safe from those in our society that can’t follow the laws our elected representatives have passed. I disagree with Pop on most of his political rants because he’s a leftist and I’m not, but he’s right that public service unions, whether they be police, fire or any other public employee union have too much power when they are able to collectively bargain. Even FDR warned against public employees unionizing as being against the interest of the tax paying public. The police unions have made it almost impossible to get rid of bad cops. Same thing with many of the civil service rules.
    Wish the rightists would rag on police unions the same way they rag on teacher unions...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THIS. All "defund the police" means is:

1) Stop equipping them like they are the military
    2) Re-allocate some of their funding to social workers so that cops are not the first ones responding to crises involving mental health.

Done.
    people still don't understand that and it's hilarious hahaha. Yes that's what it means. Police departments don't need tanks and military weapons. Those mfers are bad enough with the weaponry they have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If people do not understand taking a knee and defund the police then change the language. Stand up for social justice and Mental Health Funding are positive points that everyone can support. After all, the issue is the issues, isn’t it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THIS. All "defund the police" means is:

1) Stop equipping them like they are the military
    2) Re-allocate some of their funding to social workers so that cops are not the first ones responding to crises involving mental health.

Done.
    This is NOT all that “defund the police” means to most that are proposing such a ridiculous policy, but I’ll just address the two items you’ve specifically mentioned.

1) If you’re referring to some of the surplus light armored vehicles provided to some police departments, I’m not in complete disagreement with you on this. If the need arises, the community can call on the Governor of the state to ask the national guard to provide assistance, but that would be a problem in time sensitive situations. If you’re talking about the MRAP’s, those are very high & heavy units that can be highly useful for high water rescues or for situations involving the presence of suspected explosives. But I suspect the body armor and weaponry is your concern. My response is there’s been too many situations where the police have been outgunned & out armored by the criminals they encounter, so they need that capacity to respond. The days of packing a 38 caliber police revolver are over.

2) You want a social worker... call a social worker, don’t call 911. Under your plan, how many social workers are going to get seriously injured or killed walking into a unknown domestic dispute in the middle of the night? Any volunteers? Those are the encounters that are statistically the most dangerous for police and the public because of the volatility of the situation.

You want to stop the majority of all police related shootings? Stop resisting arrest. Period. Don’t give that bad cop an excuse. Don’t ruin that good cop’s life by having shot someone on his/her conscience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No wonder this guy never got anywhere without Tim

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is NOT all that “defund the police” means to most that are proposing such a ridiculous policy, but I’ll just address the two items you’ve specifically mentioned.

1) If you’re referring to some of the surplus light armored vehicles provided to some police departments, I’m not in complete disagreement with you on this. If the need arises, the community can call on the Governor of the state to ask the national guard to provide assistance, but that would be a problem in time sensitive situations. If you’re talking about the MRAP’s, those are very high & heavy units that can be highly useful for high water rescues or for situations involving the presence of suspected explosives. But I suspect the body armor and weaponry is your concern. My response is there’s been too many situations where the police have been outgunned & out armored by the criminals they encounter, so they need that capacity to respond. The days of packing a 38 caliber police revolver are over.

2) You want a social worker... call a social worker, don’t call 911. Under your plan, how many social workers are going to get seriously injured or killed walking into a unknown domestic dispute in the middle of the night? Any volunteers? Those are the encounters that are statistically the most dangerous for police and the public because of the volatility of the situation.

You want to stop the majority of all police related shootings? Stop resisting arrest. Period. Don’t give that bad cop an excuse. Don’t ruin that good cop’s life by having shot someone on his/her conscience.
    Defunding the police is one of the dumbest things out there. It's community suicide.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well we can agree on that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's what SWAT teams are supposed to be for. You can have special forces units with regional response ability while still having the majority of the police departments with a lower level of arms. Right now, everyone has SWAT teams, and the ubiquity has led to a lack of regulation and training. That means a lot of the teams are bad at their jobs, and the need to justify the teams' existences leads to massive overuse (which in turn leads to the loss of lives and money). Fewer units with more training and oversight would mean that when you need the firepower, it's there but when you don't, it's not. It's also be cheaper too, leaving money for social workers. Speaking of whom...

Nah. You call 911 when there's an emergency. You don't call it for police in particular. Ideally, you call in and the dispatch would then send the call to wherever it should go, be it the police, social workers, a hospital, a fire department, so on. That's way, way better than expecting folks to have the different numbers memorized.

You have a really skewed idea of what social workers are. There are plenty who deal with potentially dangerous incidents now, and not only are they way more able to handle themselves in a conflict than you suggest, but they are also WAY more skilled in avoiding escalation in the first place. The assumption that cops are somehow better equipped to handle a DV call shows that there's an information gap here. Police are often massive unqualified for the social-work tasks they pick up now. In the very very least, a social worker should already be accompanying officers to these social situations and be given broad authority to control the situation. Right now there's a misunderstanding that police are the "bosses" of other responders, thinking they can order EMTs to tranquilize people they're holding. In reality, they're all co-equal, and when the situation calls for one of their expertise over the others, they need to be running point.

No. Just no. Resisting arrest is not a capital offense. It's one thing to be attacking an officer, especially with a deadly weapon. It's another thing to be running away or rolling your shoulders or not getting into a police vehicle. I'm normally not one who dismisses cautionary advice as victim-blaming (like you can both teach boys not to rape and teach girls to avoid potentially dangerous situations). But it's critical that we not let the state get the presumption of innocence when it comes to deadly exchanges with civilians. Police officers are human, but they aren't JUST human. They act as instruments of the government, and if we start looking at government killings as "Well we have to change our behavior rather than expect them to fix their procedures", we backslide into authoritarianism really fast. This isn't a left-right thing. Just like their are authoritarian regimes on each side of the spectrum, there are people who oppose them on each side. Unjustified killings always need to go on the state. They don't always need to go on individual officers, but as a whole, it needs to be clear that the government does not have our permission to do extrajudicial executions.

Also, I'm comfortable saying that any officer that kills a person for resisting arrest without clear fear for their lives or those immediately in the area isn't a good cop. They may not be an evil human being, but they were bad at their jobs and absolutely need to be fired at the very least.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hopeful Pop is just a simp who trusts the media a bit too much, and that he can get back to being a decent coach after the great awakening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop was an outspoken righty, he’d be cancelled by now. He has to be woke. I actually believe he means what he says.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My point about resisting arrest is that once the officer says “You’re under arrest”, you are going to jail. Period. You can go easy, or you can go hard, but you’re going. That’s the way the law works. You will then be able to plead your case before a judge who may or may not agree the arrest was warranted. Fighting the police is just bone headed dumber than dirt stupid, and you could lose big.

If you’re being detained for questioning, say “lawyer” and wait until an attorney is present before answering any questions.

An argument could be made that the rather passive restraint (though obviously & tragically bungled) against George Floyd resulted in a worse outcome than if one of the officers had taken an old fashioned billy club and knocked him out & thrown him in the car. We don’t want to return to the days when that was the default method, but he’d probably still be alive... with a headache, but alive. You can make all the excuses you want, but resisting arrest always lights the fuse for worse outcomes and is totally within the control of the person being arrested who makes that sometimes fatal decision.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...b-16121211.php
    Wasn't sure if yall saw head of police union call out pop for a sit down and told him he threw a brick. Pop declined meeting
    Last edited by ismael-robert; 04-24-2021 at 03:33 PM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what SWAT teams are supposed to be for. You can have special forces units with regional response ability while still having the majority of the police departments with a lower level of arms. Right now, everyone has SWAT teams, and the ubiquity has led to a lack of regulation and training. That means a lot of the teams are bad at their jobs, and the need to justify the teams' existences leads to massive overuse (which in turn leads to the loss of lives and money). Fewer units with more training and oversight would mean that when you need the firepower, it's there but when you don't, it's not. It's also be cheaper too, leaving money for social workers. Speaking of whom...

Nah. You call 911 when there's an emergency. You don't call it for police in particular. Ideally, you call in and the dispatch would then send the call to wherever it should go, be it the police, social workers, a hospital, a fire department, so on. That's way, way better than expecting folks to have the different numbers memorized.

You have a really skewed idea of what social workers are. There are plenty who deal with potentially dangerous incidents now, and not only are they way more able to handle themselves in a conflict than you suggest, but they are also WAY more skilled in avoiding escalation in the first place. The assumption that cops are somehow better equipped to handle a DV call shows that there's an information gap here. Police are often massive unqualified for the social-work tasks they pick up now. In the very very least, a social worker should already be accompanying officers to these social situations and be given broad authority to control the situation. Right now there's a misunderstanding that police are the "bosses" of other responders, thinking they can order EMTs to tranquilize people they're holding. In reality, they're all co-equal, and when the situation calls for one of their expertise over the others, they need to be running point.

No. Just no. Resisting arrest is not a capital offense. It's one thing to be attacking an officer, especially with a deadly weapon. It's another thing to be running away or rolling your shoulders or not getting into a police vehicle. I'm normally not one who dismisses cautionary advice as victim-blaming (like you can both teach boys not to rape and teach girls to avoid potentially dangerous situations). But it's critical that we not let the state get the presumption of innocence when it comes to deadly exchanges with civilians. Police officers are human, but they aren't JUST human. They act as instruments of the government, and if we start looking at government killings as "Well we have to change our behavior rather than expect them to fix their procedures", we backslide into authoritarianism really fast. This isn't a left-right thing. Just like their are authoritarian regimes on each side of the spectrum, there are people who oppose them on each side. Unjustified killings always need to go on the state. They don't always need to go on individual officers, but as a whole, it needs to be clear that the government does not have our permission to do extrajudicial executions.

Also, I'm comfortable saying that any officer that kills a person for resisting arrest without clear fear for their lives or those immediately in the area isn't a good cop. They may not be an evil human being, but they were bad at their jobs and absolutely need to be fired at the very least.
    Solid points.

I will add that there’s a great do entary on HBO a few years ago about the behavioral health unit in San Antonio. They were looked down upon by all of the San Antonio Police Department, and whenever the regular cops had to do training in this area they derisively called it “hugs for thugs”. We got a long way to go.

Cops don’t want to deal with mental health or domestic issues. So if they don’t want to do it, then pay someone else to do it. You can call that defund the police, or redistribute funds, or cut taxes for the police, or whatever else. But people aren’t getting good use of their tax dollars. Which, funny enough, is almost always a conservative position.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 04-24-2021 at 03:59 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need more social workers to become police officers...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need more social workers to become police officers...
    Police departments are always seeking qualified new recruits. Not sure someone of the personality type to go into social work would be willing to go through the training regimen that most police go through.

Thread Information