Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A little rich for my blood, but this would be the far limits of any acceptable contract I'd offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forgot them guaranteeing LMA's final year when they didn't really have a reason to, smh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually think shooting bigs is pretty potent. I explained a while back that if you can't block a jump shot, it's pretty much an open shot these days. You can't crowd the shooter. You must allow him to land. Brook Lopez is 7ft and will shoot 5 ft behind the line. You have to guard that with size. And if your out there guarding that, who in the is protecting the rim in the league where you can't handcheck guards.

This is why I think Mills has regressed. He can still put the ball in the basket but players now just shoot over him, more so than ever. And he can't block a jump shot then and he won't now. Same as Forbes.
    At least Mills isn't afraid to bump a guy a bit and stay in their space (as much as the league will allow).

Forbes literally just gets out of the way or gets beat, and then gets pouty like NBA defense is some sort of foreign concept to him. Yes, if you jump high on a screen or over-commit to a side, you are going to get beat!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curious to read your take on Popovich's trade value. Doc Rivers is the only comp I know of. He netted a first. Pop is much older, obviously. But the Nets seem to have a mandate from ownership and, perhaps, Durant and Irving to pay premium. Picks for Pop and a sign and trade of Harris plus asset for Aldridge?

If Nets make an offer, you'd imagine they'd want it done before free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Advanced Stats grade Poeltl really well. Among centers who have played substantial minutes, Poeltl is top 10 in RAPTOR ratings according to fivethirtyeight.com and among the few who are a net positive in both offense and defense. In terms of plus /minus, he is the best center in the business and his overall RAPTOR falls because of poorer box score ratings.

In sum, he is quite valuable in this league relative to his position. He should not command more than $10 million because of diminished value for centers, but below that/par he will be a good bargain for the Spurs. And he is a must for next season if the Spurs need to contend and to help their youth grow, in my view.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These are options I also thought about.

With Golden State back to full strength & Phoenix rising, also New Orleans with Zion getting better, I would wonder if they had a chance.
    I'm only worried about GS in that race. New Orleans isn't going to take a big leapt unless Zion completely changes his body AND they get some good players. I think Phoenix needs a star to make the leap. It wouldn't even surprise me if GS falls into the middle of the pack. They're older, and theirs style of play has become way more normal since their pre-Durant days. The Spurs might miss the playoffs, but they don't have to. Pop just needs to start playing the right guys and stay away from the Beli/Forbes types.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually think shooting bigs is pretty potent. I explained a while back that if you can't block a jump shot, it's pretty much an open shot these days. You can't crowd the shooter. You must allow him to land. Brook Lopez is 7ft and will shoot 5 ft behind the line. You have to guard that with size. And if your out there guarding that, who in the is protecting the rim in the league where you can't handcheck guards.

This is why I think Mills has regressed. He can still put the ball in the basket but players now just shoot over him, more so than ever. And he can't block a jump shot then and he won't now. Same as Forbes.
    I think you misunderstood me or I wasn't clear. I think shooting bigs are valuable. I'm the guy who thinks Matt Bonner was one of the most influential players of the last 15 years. Spacing is a three-dimensional concept. It's not just along the three-point line or toward the basket. Height, launch angle and release time all play a huge role. It's why I was adamant that Jimmer Freddette was not a good floor-spacer for the NBA even though a lot of folks were like, "Shooting is the last thing you have to worry about with him." Basically, his mechanics were so bad that he wasn't able to get clean looks unless teams sagged way off him, so he did nothing to help his teammates. Anyway, Bonner's ability to defend his position while being able to shoot at a high level helped recontexualize what it meant to be a stretch-big. It wasn't just a curiosity anymore. A role-player could come in and do it while also not forcing his team to play small, and it started to blow up traditional two-big lineups, especially in the regular season. That's why he was the plus-minus king. It wasn't an accident or something that disproved the stat's applicability.

So I meant was that a big can get by without a jump shot if they are an aggressive rim-runner, relentless rebounding and powerful finisher. You want a guy who is so tenacious that teams aren't comfortable leaving a small on him or letting him go on a roll. That's how Montrezl Harrell is so good despite not being a shooter. A small can also get by on vertical spacing, but then they need to dominate the ball and penetrate all the time while the rest of the team spaces on the outside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought it was one week from his last game played?
    That’s what I thought too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I don't agree. Ben was a stellar shot blocker and rebounder but his strength allowed him to defend players like Shaq and Duncan one on on. He'd have no chance guarding out of the paint in today's NBA.
    He would still be allowed to be physical when guarding big men. The refs still allow you to be physical with bigmen. The difference today is you are not allowed to be physical with perimeter players. Wallace would also be good at switching defensively so he would be fine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he signs elsewhere and asks the Spurs not to match. He's looked pretty unhappy all season imo; think there might be more behind the scenes than we know.
    I think this is most likely what will happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl doesn’t have any offensive moves after 5 years in the NBA. He should’ve been developed that. Also nobody will start him. 8 Million per year is the max and it should be less

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it funny that people here say Aldridge doesn’t fit with the 4-guard line up. That’s exactly the line up he has to play with. A bunch of guards who can drive and kick. He would get plenty open shots and easy buckets playing with DeRozan/Walker/Murray/White. They all can set him up on offense

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    poeltl has underwhelmed. send him, demar, and murray to the nets for their young guys. la / jarrett allen / eubanks frontcourt.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    poeltl has underwhelmed. send him, demar, and murray to the nets for their young guys. la / jarrett allen / eubanks frontcourt.
    I don't think the nets are dumb enough to do that, but that would be a huge upgrade for the spurs

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I don't think the nets are dumb enough to do that, but that would be a huge upgrade for the spurs
    maybe if the spurs included pop in the deal.......................

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    0 dollars for 0 years. Go back to Austria big boy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only answer is: the absolute minimum we can skirt by with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Nah, to me that implies that Poe is essential, and I don't think he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is most likely what will happen.
    The Spurs-will not rescind his QO. This isn’t some journeyman like Baynes or Simmons. He’s a former top 10 pick. If he wants out, his agent will have to find a team willing to compensate the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 year/36mill. Why lowball?

4 year/24mill is laughable
    sup' Jakob ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would still be allowed to be physical when guarding big men. The refs still allow you to be physical with bigmen. The difference today is you are not allowed to be physical with perimeter players. Wallace would also be good at switching defensively so he would be fine.
    I don't Ben Wallace switching, even back then. So no chance he'd be able to guard outside the paint in today's NBA. He might've held value against the likes of Embiid and Jokic in the post but that gets negated once they stretch their game out. He'd be lucky to be a 15 mpg backup type of big in todays NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My feeling is that until the Spurs can somehow land a big star, the main goal is to assemble as many net positive players as possible. I was disappointed, for example, when they let Davis Bertans go while keeping Forbes. I think that was a bad decision. One reason I'm optimistic about the young guys is that I think White, Johnson, Walker, and Murray can all be net positive guys, and I think Poeltl has illustrated that he is also. Barring an outrageous offer from another team, I hope they will match and keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs-will not rescind his QO. This isn’t some journeyman like Baynes or Simmons. He’s a former top 10 pick. If he wants out, his agent will have to find a team willing to compensate the Spurs.
    Agreed, at least they shouldn't. They should make clear that they intend to bring him back; if another team is interested, then they'd have to work out and sign and trade to compensate the Spurs. Similar to the Macolm Brogdon situation with the Pacers and Bucks.

Metu was drafted, Eubanks was not, and E signed a two way contract. In the two years since, E has made clear and definite progress, and is the better NBA prospect. He looks like he belongs on the floor, and and metu really still doesn’t. I’d dump him unless there was no other way to put together a 13 man roster.
    Its weird, I thought Metu was actually a lot better than last season but he didn't get much of a chance. Granted, when he did he didn't exactly take advantage of it. Eubanks certainly did. Its hard to say. If both DDR and LMA are back next season then will be salary cap issues as you know. Keeping Metu might be better in that situation as opposed to an empty spot.

People just don’t understand the sea change that has happened in the NBA, and to be honest, it took me maybe two years What did it for me was when Houston salary dumped Clint Capela. He was an athletic big, not some lumbering dinosaur, and Golden State played him off the floor in the playoffs.
    The league tends to change to counter act the dominant teams. Capella getting played off the court by GSW meant that Houston had no use for him, if that's the team that they tried to beat. With GSW out of the picture- for the year at least, things may start to trend back how it was before they came dominant. Still, Wallace would have no chance--even back a few years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you misunderstood me or I wasn't clear. I think shooting bigs are valuable. I'm the guy who thinks Matt Bonner was one of the most influential players of the last 15 years. Spacing is a three-dimensional concept. It's not just along the three-point line or toward the basket. Height, launch angle and release time all play a huge role. It's why I was adamant that Jimmer Freddette was not a good floor-spacer for the NBA even though a lot of folks were like, "Shooting is the last thing you have to worry about with him." Basically, his mechanics were so bad that he wasn't able to get clean looks unless teams sagged way off him, so he did nothing to help his teammates. Anyway, Bonner's ability to defend his position while being able to shoot at a high level helped recontexualize what it meant to be a stretch-big. It wasn't just a curiosity anymore. A role-player could come in and do it while also not forcing his team to play small, and it started to blow up traditional two-big lineups, especially in the regular season. That's why he was the plus-minus king. It wasn't an accident or something that disproved the stat's applicability.

So I meant was that a big can get by without a jump shot if they are an aggressive rim-runner, relentless rebounding and powerful finisher. You want a guy who is so tenacious that teams aren't comfortable leaving a small on him or letting him go on a roll. That's how Montrezl Harrell is so good despite not being a shooter. A small can also get by on vertical spacing, but then they need to dominate the ball and penetrate all the time while the rest of the team spaces on the outside.
    How come we are seeing more Harrell players in the league. There was that undersized pf for the nuggets, dreadlocks, high motor, could dunk. He had no shot and is out of the league.

Thread Information