Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How come we are seeing more Harrell players in the league. There was that undersized pf for the nuggets, dreadlocks, high motor, could dunk. He had no shot and is out of the league.
    There are a lot of different little answers. Like Faried is past his prime now and was a player who relied on his athleticism to make up for his size. Faried also played in the NBA last season. He was always a big negative defensively, so even if his offense was okay, he'd still be unplayable, and that was when he was PF rather than a C. Harrell's also way better than Faried was even at his peak. I also think the league overreacted to the Warriors' dominance and forgot about vertical spacing. The Rockets in particular are the kings of trying to get ahead of the league. There aren't a lot of dominant offensive bigs who score inside right now. Zion may end up being one of them. Toppin might be another. The only elite one is Embiid. All of those guys have threes to help their inside games work, which I consider a universal good. Maybe once Simmons gets old and starts to lose athleticism, he'll bulk up and be a bullying center ala Diaw.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the more important question for the Spurs is to whether or not to move from the Demar-Lamarcus veteran core. If Demar declines his option and becomes a free agent, then there is a domino effect from there ..if not, then the Spurs must think of trading Aldridge for a rebounding PF or a long SF and retain Poeltl. While Aldridge is really good at what he does, he doesn't fit the guard centric roster we have and is not the guy to have during a youth movement as well.

Demar has proved that he can gel well with the younger lot and allows them to grow. Aldridge has expanded his game but he is also too old now and too slow to defend at the perimeter.

Poeltl is valuable as a rim protecting, screen setting, pick and roll big. He needs to add some more polish to his finishing and he will max out as a Tyson Chandler. Eubanks can back him up.
    yeah i feel its better to move on from aldridge, let derozan be the vet leader for the youth movement and poetl/eubanks is serviceable center rotation.. would much rather have a good 3D wing to match up with all the star SF in the league than aldridge at this point.

and though ive defended aldridge's impact in the past... after this season i feel like aldridge is more of a "loser" than derozan (sulking, bad effort, etc). at the very least, more inconsistent. factor age and speed of the game, its obviously the best option to move on from him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5-6m no matter what or let him go. I’m fine matching if you can trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd look hard at moving Aldridge tbh. Either to Portland (Ariza, Hood and a '21 first) or Miami (Olynyk and their 20th pick)

I actually think Aldridge still makes sense with this team but Poeltl is a lot younger. If that's his biggest hang-up about returning to the Spurs then it makes sense to consider trading Aldridge and moving forward with Jakob now.

I think Poeltl gets 4 years, $28 million and Eubanks gets something like 2 years, $6 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Age doesn't matter. Windows in the NBA are extremely fleeting, and you strike when the iron is hot, not when everything is perfect. If you think Jakob is the better player or will be better within the next year or so, it makes sense to choose him. If you believe Aldridge will be better for the next couple years but are concerned that after that the Spurs won't have a backup because Poeltl left this fall, then moving on doesn't make sense. People forget that Tiago Splitter only played one year longer than Duncan did (and even then it was only eight games) despite being more than nine years younger. Poeltl doesn't have Spitter's injury history yet, but Tiago didn't have one either until he was in his late-20s. If in three years or whatever the team ends up needing a starting center, sign one then, or better yet promote a guy the team's been developing. But don't try to preemptively solve problems that don't exist.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Age doesn't matter. Windows in the NBA are extremely fleeting, and you strike when the iron is hot, not when everything is perfect. If you think Jakob is the better player or will be better within the next year or so, it makes sense to choose him. If you believe Aldridge will be better for the next couple years but are concerned that after that the Spurs won't have a backup because Poeltl left this fall, then moving on doesn't make sense.
    Age does matter. If not, let Duncan play ;-) And money matters. Aldridge for sure is the better scorer - but defense, passing, screen setting I would give to Poeltl. Is the better scoring worth to pay LMA 10-16 million more than Poeltl?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Age does matter. If not, let Duncan play ;-) And money matters. Aldridge for sure is the better scorer - but defense, passing, screen setting I would give to Poeltl. Is the better scoring worth to pay LMA 10-16 million more than Poeltl?
    Um, yes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you think so... but I don't ;-)
    There was enough scoring in the bubble games with LMA missing. With 10-16 million extra you could add a really nice wing player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you think so... but I don't ;-)
    There was enough scoring in the bubble games with LMA missing. With 10-16 million extra you could add a really nice wing player.
    That's not how cap works. It's not the Spurs have 25mil to spend and they could give it all to LMA or split it with Poeltl and a wing. Also, you need to find another big man that will the play the other 22 mins, cause you are not expecting Poeltl to play 30mins every minute. So you have to find a reliable backup to cover those minutes over a regular season. That will cost you. So it's not quiet like, hey we got an extra 15mil on a wing.

Also if LMA played, Spurs are in the playoffs. Usually that would be worth the extra coin you just spent on your best player. LMA is top 10 big man in the league and is paid just a tad under his value.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not how cap works. It's not the Spurs have 25mil to spend and they could give it all to LMA or split it with Poeltl and a wing. Also, you need to find another big man that will the play the other 22 mins, cause you are not expecting Poeltl to play 30mins every minute. So you have to find a reliable backup to cover those minutes over a regular season. That will cost you. So it's not quiet like, hey we got an extra 15mil on a wing.

Also if LMA played, Spurs are in the playoffs. Usually that would be worth the extra coin you just spent on your best player. LMA is top 10 big man in the league and is paid just a tad under his value.
    LMA played before the lockdown and they sucked. And no, it's not all on Bryn Forbes.
    LMA's on/off-efficiency: -5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's basically all on Bryn Forbes though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA played before the lockdown and they sucked. And no, it's not all on Bryn Forbes.
    Bottom line though if LA plays they don't lose to the 6ers or the nuggets so technically it's true if LMA played they make the playoffs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom line though if LA plays they don't lose to the 6ers or the nuggets so technically it's true if LMA played they make the playoffs.
    Correct me if I‘m wrong: They lost their games against Phi & Den WITH Aldridge earlier in the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is when you're constantly having to play weak side D because your perimeter defenders keep getting beat.

And you are right about one thing. It wasn't just Bryn. It was DeMar. It was Marco. It was Patty. It was Murray. It was Lonnie. It was all of them really, perhaps without the consistent contribution if failure, from DWhite.

If you firm up the perimter D, LMA can still shine defensively even at 34. He's still got plenty left, is strong as an ox, and has plenty of quickness even to hang with guards on switches.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Correct me if I‘m wrong: They lost their games against Phi & Den WITH Aldridge earlier in the season.
    Yeah but there was no Derrick White or DeRozan in each of those games. Poeltl has cost this team multiple games this year because he was inept on the offensive side of the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different team was trotted out. Also, probably not the games I'd bring up to highlight Poeltl's value. He hardly played in those games and was mistreated physically when he did.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but there was no Derrick White or DeRozan in each of those games. Poeltl has cost this team multiple games this year because he was inept on the offensive side of the ball.
    offense means not just scoring, you know?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different team was trotted out. Also, probably not the games I'd bring up to highlight Poeltl's value. He hardly played in those games and was mistreated physically when he did.
    Yeah he probably screwed himself out of couple of million dollars with his weak play. Come on Son contract year you gotta get those easy baskets with Dunks not that sissy Charmin crap.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of my thinking would depend on who we are keeping between lma and dmr, I just don't think they really fit. If we keep dmr then trade lma and offer jp a 4 year 8M per contract and start him. If we move on from Dmr by either trade or by him opting out then try and work out a S&T or let him walk if you can't and someone offers more than the QO.

I do think Samanic will end up playing C if he can get stronger. I don't know how committed he is to getting stronger but if the FO thinks he has it in him he might be the better 'next' big in a couple years after lma anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is this elite rim protector that makes good decisions guy that you're referencing?

Not the guy that got his pushed in in very limited minutes because of foul trouble vs Jokic and Embiid, surely.

If you want big boy dollars, you've gotta take big boy minutes and big boy centers.

3 yrs 15 is the best I do. If he takes it, good for both sides.
    Who cares about Jokic & Embiid - they're the only 2 dominant bigs left & one will likely never be in the Western Conference. His foul trouble was predominantly from ticky tak screen fouls, not when he was guarding those 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he goes great with the young core and protects the rim. Obviously someone throws out a crazy off there is no way to match

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a useful and good player to have, but I think the fact he's not satisfied with his minutes means he's gone. I think he will feel that all things being equal $$ he will go play for the team where he has a chance at starting or playing heavier minutes, and the Spurs hopefully look for a guy with more upside for the future.

I'd much rather he got paid than guys like Pau Gasol and Demarre Carroll, but you know that is trolling --Not an option. And I will really regret to have roleplayers get overpaid at this point. I am already grimacing at Murray's deal. It all depends on what happens with Lamarcus at this point I think.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we keep him. But he definitely lost money playing in the bubble. He didn't overly impress with constantly being in foul trouble.
    Last edited by Nivek_ogre; 08-19-2020 at 11:52 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares about Jokic & Embiid - they're the only 2 dominant bigs left & one will likely never be in the Western Conference. His foul trouble was predominantly from ticky tak screen fouls, not when he was guarding those 2.
    Not against re-signing Poeltl. At 5 million per. Anything above 6 million per is bad player management given you can find in the ballpark of what he brings (extremely limited offensively -- no outside shot whatsover; slightly above average defensively but incapable of holding the best defenders down) for much, much less.

And anyone thinking getting rid of LMA is a positive development simply doesn't appreciate what he does for the Spurs night in and night out, especially defensively. Add in he's adapted his game yo the outside but can still bang down low when you need to, and it's not even close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not against re-signing Poeltl. At 5 million per. Anything above 6 million per is bad player management given you can find in the ballpark of what he brings (extremely limited offensively -- no outside shot whatsover; slightly above average defensively but incapable of holding the best defenders down) for much, much less.

And anyone thinking getting rid of LMA is a positive development simply doesn't appreciate what he does for the Spurs night in and night out, especially defensively. Add in he's adapted his game yo the outside but can still bang down low when you need to, and it's not even close.
    If LMA predominantly shoots 3s & limits his post ups (unless he's got mismatches) & we run with him, DD, Keldon, Derrick & Murray, I think we win close to 50 games to next year. The defense is there, good spacing, good shot creators (DD & White), our bench will be strong. Only thing I'm worried about is LMA slipping defensively as he gets older. No point getting rid of LMA, we're not getting someone better in return.

Thread Information