San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supermax

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4/24 is the max I would go on Jakob.

Drop metu and give drew 2 years 4 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's getting way more than that from whoever IMO. Elite rim protectors who can move their feet when they get switched onto guards on the perimeter, who also make good decisions & have good timing in PnRs are getting paid $10mil+.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's getting way more than that from whoever IMO. Elite rim protectors who can move their feet when they get switched onto guards on the perimeter, who also make good decisions & have good timing in PnRs are getting paid $10mil+.
    Examples? I don't see any comparable players who made a lot more recently. Last summer, bigs without a jumper were basically at the bottom of the totem pole in free agency.

If you're Poeltl's agent you might point to Clint Capela ... but obviously Capela produces at a much higher level across the board, doesn't have foul issues and even he got his contract 2+ years ago before teams really started having second thoughts about paying non-shooters.

If you're the Spurs, you can point to a younger, better version of Poeltl in Zubac only getting $7 million per year and a very comparable player in Kevon Looney getting $5 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he signs elsewhere and asks the Spurs not to match. He's looked pretty unhappy all season imo; think there might be more behind the scenes than we know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not worth more than what Looney is getting (5M/per). Especially with the bigs we have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could Eubanks offer cheaper/similar rim protection and close range offense if given the minutes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could Eubanks offer cheaper/similar rim protection and close range offense if given the minutes?
    Yeah.

The issue though is on the feel-of-the-game-o-meter, Poeltl is about a 9/10 and Eubanks is about a 2/10 at this stage.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 year/36mill. Why lowball?

4 year/24mill is laughable

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he signs elsewhere and asks the Spurs not to match. He's looked pretty unhappy all season imo; think there might be more behind the scenes than we know.
    I agree I think he will look for guaranteed starting minutes somewhere else as I don’t think he clicks with Poop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs shouldn’t break the bank for Poeltl but if he walks, he will he missed. Spurs’ rim protection will take a considerable dip and that will suck.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a contract is presented, I’d include bonuses for blocks, free throw %, and NOT FOULING! Haha

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    10 mil is an overpay for a big that has no offensive presence. His defense is decent and he would have made for a valuable defensive anchor in the mid-2000s but you can't get away with playing 4 on 5 in the modern NBA. Ben Wallace style bigs are a thing of the past.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes.
    You saw it in the bubble.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Eubanks is slower and not quite as good defensively. But he's also younger, cheaper, and has more potential upside on offense(Poeltl looks like he hasn't changed much from his last year on the Raptors).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Examples? I don't see any comparable players who made a lot more recently. Last summer, bigs without a jumper were basically at the bottom of the totem pole in free agency.

If you're Poeltl's agent you might point to Clint Capela ... but obviously Capela produces at a much higher level across the board, doesn't have foul issues and even he got his contract 2+ years ago before teams really started having second thoughts about paying non-shooters.

If you're the Spurs, you can point to a younger, better version of Poeltl in Zubac only getting $7 million per year and a very comparable player in Kevon Looney getting $5 million.
    Thanks for the reply. IMO, none of Looney, Zubac or Capela are comparable to Poeltl defensively. He's a better rim protector than all of them & had his fouling under control by the end of last season. The foul trouble in the bubble (mostly from moving screens) was an anomaly IMO, as has his fouls per 36mins have been under 4 for over a season now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the reply. IMO, none of Looney, Zubac or Capela are comparable to Poeltl defensively. He's a better rim protector than all of them
    So ... who are you comparing him to?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10 mil is an overpay for a big that has no offensive presence. His defense is decent and he would have made for a valuable defensive anchor in the mid-2000s but you can't get away with playing 4 on 5 in the modern NBA. Ben Wallace style bigs are a thing of the past.
    I understand what you mean, but you have to look beyond the scoring IMO. Poeltl times & positions his screens very well to give the ball handlers max space to operate as well as drawing defenders as he rolls to the rim. Additionally he's very good at sealing the shot blocker (reminds me of Duncan in that respect) when teammates drive, allowing them often uncontested lanes. These may seem like small things, but you could see in the bubble how good the offense was running when it was him with 4 guards essentially.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand what you mean, but you have to look beyond the scoring IMO. Poeltl times & positions his screens very well to give the ball handlers max space to operate as well as drawing defenders as he rolls to the rim. Additionally he's very good at sealing the shot blocker (reminds me of Duncan in that respect) when teammates drive, allowing them often uncontested lanes. These may seem like small things, but you could see in the bubble how good the offense was running when it was him with 4 guards essentially.
    I understand his value on defense. But his WNBA style offense cost us at least one of the bubble games. Can't remember if it was the Sixers or Nuggets game but every shot he threw up was a weak floater that refused to go in. Softest offense I've ever seen from someone over seven feet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand his value on defense. But his WNBA style offense cost us at least one of the bubble games. Can't remember if it was the Sixers or Nuggets game but every shot he threw up was a weak floater that refused to go in. Softest offense I've ever seen from someone over seven feet.
    Yeah it was the 6ers. That was a soft finish, but it seems as though it's a thing he can actually improve (unlike becoming an offensive guru) - the guy is massive & he is capable of flushing that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So ... who are you comparing him to?
    Bogut at the Warriors? Although I think he was still a better finisher at that point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bogut at the Warriors? Although I think he was still a better finisher at that point.
    Not a bad comparison, tbh. Although...

1) Bogut was still able to do Bogut/Poeltl things after his Warriors days and could barely get any contract offers.
    2) Bogut hasn't signed a big contract in about a decade so can't use him as a direct comp to Poeltl.
    3) If Warriors Bogut was a free agent today, I don't think he makes more than ~$8 million at most.

Thread Information