Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just watched Episode 2. I doubt that that I'll watch a third one. First episode was good enough but the second was ridiculous. Even Omar Little couldn't save it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Lmfao like Jordan Peele knows anything about Lovecraft...
    Just the usual snide attempt to discredit an actual writer that people appreciate.
    More amateurish historical revisionism through the race lens by an uneducated moron.
    So I'm not overly happy with how the series looks, but the book was a great homage to and critique of Lovecraft. It's not really revisionist history anymore than any other fiction. Basically, it takes the reality that Lovecraft was great at evoking feelings of existential helplessness but also REALLY hated basically every minority and decided to marry the two ideas rather than separating them like a lot of people want to do. One of the obvious issues with Lovecraft for readers from marginalized groups is that the loss over power and meaning aren't that scary because they never had power, and they'd already been told for years that their lives didn't have meaning. So reading Lovecraft through a black lens means you don't have to focus on obscure unintelligible forces. Some exist in the book, but they don't really matter. What matters are the people in power and how insignificant the main characters are to them, and how the MCs still try to find meaning in their lives anyway.

It's a really good exploration of racism from the 30s and earlier, and there are a lot of emotional points while also sticking to a brisk pace due to the book being structured as a series of short stories. I have a bad feeling that the series is going to crank up the supernatural, thus defeating the purpose of the book. It'd recommend the book highly unless hearing about racism triggers you (which I'm guessing it does looking at your post). It's about the black experience at the beginning of the last century. Like it or not, there was a ton of overt and senseless racism then. You simply can't leave it out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Just watched Episode 2. I doubt that that I'll watch a third one. First episode was good enough but the second was ridiculous. Even Omar Little couldn't save it.
    I'll wait for the season to wrap up and then go for it. I hope it's good, but I feel like trying to make it into a regular series was a bad idea. It should've been an anthology series like Nightmares and Dreamscapes (but like good).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'll wait for the season to wrap up and then go for it. I hope it's good, but I feel like trying to make it into a regular series was a bad idea. It should've been an anthology series like Nightmares and Dreamscapes (but like good).
    I'm going to give it one more. But Episode 2 probably showed the formula for what they're going to do the rest of the series. Too many unbelievable moments that aren't related to the fantasy aspect. Just character actions, decisions, and dialog.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Didn't make it through Episode 3. It's just not very good.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    I'm still on it. I bought the book and finished it in a week so I can compare and so far they strayed from the book a looooot. This and The Boys are my favorite shows right now.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    One of the few shows where the secondary character showcases are just as strong if not stronger than the main characters'. Got a couple to go but not feeling like a waste of time at all.

Thread Information