San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

James Wiseman

College: Memphis
    Position: C
    Height: 7-foot-1
    Weight: 245
    Draft Range: 1 to 5

Why: His physical tools are breathtaking. Wiseman is 7-foot-1 with a reported 7-foot-5 wingspan. He's extremely agile and an explosive athlete. His skill level is high for his size and age -- he can dribble and shoot it at a respectable level. Oh, and the left-hander also says he models his game after David Robinson.

Why Not: Wiseman hasn't been able to shed the soft label. Only played three games in college before walking away due to NCAA violations, so there isn't much to go on when scouting him. Despite his tools, never dominated during high school or AAU. His love for the game remains a question mark.

Spurs Fit: If the Spurs draft him, they let Jakob Poeltl walk. As a rookie, Wiseman plays a backup center role behind LaMarcus Aldridge. If he shows enough promise, San Antonio then lets Aldridge walk next summer and turns the keys over Wiseman in his second year.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Somewhere between a poor man's David Robinson and David Robinson

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Francisco Elson

Statistics
    Scouting Video
    Interview

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Similar player to Deandre Ayton I think

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Francisco Elson
    Swallows hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be clear, the above means giving pause.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To be clear, the above means giving pause.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless Spurs somehow luck into a Top-3 pick, it ain’t happening tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite his tools, never dominated during high school or AAU.
    He averaged 20 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks in college (albeit three games). That's pretty good for a small sample (although Okongwu might be as good for the Spurs).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He averaged 20 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks in college (albeit three games). That's pretty good for a small sample (although Okongwu might be as good for the Spurs).
    Tough to take much from three college games, especially when two of those games were against low level pushovers that stood no chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough to take much from three college games, especially when two of those games were against low level pushovers that stood no chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not related but I can’t stand the “let LMA walk” stuff. He’s not in sas future and has positive value. TRADE HIM. SA can’t keep being passive and awful in FA and trades. They need to optimize their assets and start modernizing the FO.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    op stop spamming the main forum there is a sub forum for these discussions called spurs think tank

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But this is who I always thought SA would like to get. Haven’t heard anything just a feeling.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we aint gonna win lottery, just sayin

btw these new threats are unnecessary

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can already see Timvps next article:

“Wow - that was unexpected. In San Antonio’s first lottery in 23 years, they buck the odds and land the #1 pick. Now that we know where SA will be drafting, let’s talk about the offseason priorities as we embark on the new era of Spurs basketball. Heres were I previously discussed the top 3 prospects *insert links* and the math *insert links* on this possibility.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's a no-brainer at #11. Thoughts?

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not related but I can’t stand the “let LMA walk” stuff. He’s not in sas future and has positive value. TRADE HIM. SA can’t keep being passive and awful in FA and trades. They need to optimize their assets and start modernizing the FO.

Wow, someone actually said it.

I don't see Wiseman falling to 11. Could the Spurs make a trade that included Aldridge and a draft upgrade from the other side? Or do they love him enough to let one of the youngs go to get him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's a no-brainer at #11. Thoughts?
    The problem is, a lot of FOs think he's a no-brainer at #1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. Picks you get from trading vets don't really factor into a rebuilding process. Letting Wiseman grow under one of the best offensive bigs in recent history is more valuable than "value". For the right trade? Sure. But theoretically teams let guys with positive value go all the time. That's just part of the business, and it's definitely something the Spurs have experienced in a lot of years.

Plus, LMA may well still be in the plans. I'd actually expect for Pop to play Wiseman and LMA together if at all possible, which it should be. So he'll do that and then transition to LMA as a somewhat-overcompensated backup once Wiseman progresses to the point that he needs the spacing to play his best. If LMA wants to leave, that's obviously its own thing, but he can still be play for three or four more years, and if both sides want, that can happen in SA, even with Wiseman on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lack of sample size and the probability of him being a Boban (talented physical beast that won't ever see the floor for extended minutes because opossing guards would target him relentesly on the pick and roll or switching situations) make him a huge ass question mark.

Same as Edwards, too many red flags but impossible to pass if available. And, again, same as Edwards, good thing the Spurs won't have to worry about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. Picks you get from trading vets don't really factor into a rebuilding process. Letting Wiseman grow under one of the best offensive bigs in recent history is more valuable than "value". For the right trade? Sure. But theoretically teams let guys with positive value go all the time. That's just part of the business, and it's definitely something the Spurs have experienced in a lot of years.

Plus, LMA may well still be in the plans. I'd actually expect for Pop to play Wiseman and LMA together if at all possible, which it should be. So he'll do that and then transition to LMA as a somewhat-overcompensated backup once Wiseman progresses to the point that he needs the spacing to play his best. If LMA wants to leave, that's obviously its own thing, but he can still be play for three or four more years, and if both sides want, that can happen in SA, even with Wiseman on the team.
    1) No one overrates mentors more than Spurs fans. It’s nice but not worth Mills money or letting guys walk.

I agree overall in the context of LMA having value. But my beef is the assumption LMA is still an asset and not really re signing him.

If he’s good and you don’t want to give him more money, you trade him. It does factor into rebuilding and Sa needs as much draft capital as possible even knowing their own picks have most value

So if we are saying lma is going to be very good for 3-4 years and Sa only gets one? Yeah I’d rather have another 1st to use or trade or move up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nobody is asking to trade Timmy from the coaching staff, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the games was against 14th ranked Oregon.

Wiseman had 14 points, 12 boards and a block.

Precious Achiuwa (whom many here like, including me) had 5 points.

You're right that there's an info deficit, but the little we have looks pretty good.

Spurs Fan In Milan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only player worthy of the top pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) No one overrates mentors more than Spurs fans. It’s nice but not worth Mills money or letting guys walk.
    Spurs fans value mentoring because the team saw a decades-long run of success due to the smooth transition from star to star. You don't have the longest window in sports memory by lopping off good vets the first chance you get.

I agree overall in the context of LMA having value. But my beef is the assumption LMA is still an asset and not really re signing him.
    He's an asset because of his play for the team. Letting him walk is using his full value. The reason why a team could trade for LMA would be for what he can do in his last year. If that can be valuable to them, it can be valuable to SA too.

It does factor into rebuilding and Sa needs as much draft capital as possible even knowing their own picks have most value
    Not really though. The most important thing is developing their picks, not just having more. That a Hinkie-type thought. The picks are almost always so much more valuable than anything a tanking team can get in a trade, to the point where it's not worth it. The team will always be able to rent out cap space if they ever want a late first or seconds or whatever.

So if we are saying lma is going to be very good for 3-4 years and Sa only gets one? Yeah I’d rather have another 1st to use or trade or move up
    I wouldn't trade LMA to move up. I mean, if the Spurs did it, I'd hope it was worth it. But I'd only trade him for a prospect and a pick. Even one year of his is worth more than anything else. That changes if he wants to be traded, though. Then it's about getting whatever you can. But as it is, I'd rather the team run White, (two of Walker/Johnson/DeRozan), Aldridge, Wiseman than I would rather get some lesser value for Aldridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs get the No. 1 pick, my guess is that they'd pick Wiseman. They'd be tempted by Edwards and Ball but the character issues will scare them away.

In Wiseman, they'd see a franchise center bigman who they can mold.

Plus, it'd feel like fate to go with the franchise big. Robinson to Duncan to Wiseman? Yeah, makes sense.

I'm far from sold on him, especially in this age where centers don't hold much value ... but I wouldn't be upset. It'd be a worthwhile gamble because the upside is there.

Thread Information