Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, you're digging deep and try hard in finding flaws in players who actually would be a good fit on this team but when it comes to your boy Vassell and his flaws, you dismiss it. Got it.
    Lol pretty much. Isn’t that how fans work? I mean in my estimation (admittedly not worth much) he’s more of a project than Vassell. You made fun of Vassell’s dribbling skills but atleast he can dribble unlike Williams. Williams also needs to redo his entire shot. It’s not an ugly shot but it’s not NBA ready either. I do like he can shoot a pull up jumper though, that’s nice. I’m not sure he’s fast enough to stay with the people you want him to stay with. He’s got good length and size but I think he’s too big for a SF.

If we drafted him we would have to teach him the corner 3 and to rebound. I don’t see him much as an offensive force. And he’s not a playmaker either. Defense takes more than a year to learn in our system so I’m not too worried about that but I do wonder who we would match him up against. Guy reminds me of Tony Battie and that’s probably why I’m so against him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the pick came between getting Williams or Isaac Okoro, who would you take?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol pretty much. Isn’t that how fans work? I mean in my estimation (admittedly not worth much) he’s more of a project than Vassell. You made fun of Vassell’s dribbling skills but atleast he can dribble unlike Williams. Williams also needs to redo his entire shot. It’s not an ugly shot but it’s not NBA ready either. I do like he can shoot a pull up jumper though, that’s nice. I’m not sure he’s fast enough to stay with the people you want him to stay with. He’s got good length and size but I think he’s too big for a SF.

If we drafted him we would have to teach him the corner 3 and to rebound. I don’t see him much as an offensive force. And he’s not a playmaker either. Defense takes more than a year to learn in our system so I’m not too worried about that but I do wonder who we would match him up against. Guy reminds me of Tony Battie and that’s probably why I’m so against him
    Redo his shot ... He has one of the most consistent forms and he keeps his shoulders stable in the follow through.

Not a playmaker ... His literal instinct is to pass first. We're not expecting LeBron playmaking here, but this dude is one of the best passing forwards in the draft.

it, I'm not even gonna bother lol. You've already made up your mind.

Oh man, this is going to be a long two months.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He played PG his first 2 years in high school till he had an 8" growth spurt -- :35 mark

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With his lack of shooting and lateral quickness, he's clearly going to be a 4 in the league. He'll still be an option to defender bigger 3s though.
    I've noticed that too, he doesn't appear to move all that well laterally. I don't think he's likely to be a 3 in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Redo his shot ... He has one of the most consistent forms and he keeps his shoulders stable in the follow through.

Not a playmaker ... His literal instinct is to pass first. We're not expecting LeBron playmaking here, but this dude is one of the best passing forwards in the draft.

it, I'm not even gonna bother lol. You've already made up your mind.

Oh man, this is going to be a long two months.
    lol yes it is. You could very well be right and KA will eat a big sandwich. It happened the year Kawhi rang. I was adamant the Raptors would lose to the 76ers I redeemed myself this year somewhat but I just don’t see it with him. He has a nice high arching shot. I like that. It’s just his feet are set up weird and his shot is slow by NBA standards. He’s a good passer for a forward but he’s not going to initiate offense for others. If I’m not going to get a knock down shooter then I atleast want that bc Pop will play slow all again like an idiot and ruin Williams strengths. If anybody else coached I would be all in for Williams over Vassell but we have Pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't mind him at 11th pick but what concerns me is that he doesn't have good footwork or lateral movement. So I think he's more like a Rudy Gay and will play mostly @ PF position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol yes it is. You could very well be right and KA will eat a big sandwich. It happened the year Kawhi rang. I was adamant the Raptors would lose to the 76ers I redeemed myself this year somewhat but I just don’t see it with him. He has a nice high arching shot. I like that. It’s just his feet are set up weird and his shot is slow by NBA standards. He’s a good passer for a forward but he’s not going to initiate offense for others. If I’m not going to get a knock down shooter then I atleast want that bc Pop will play slow all again like an idiot and ruin Williams strengths. If anybody else coached I would be all in for Williams over Vassell but we have Pop
    I love that you referred to yourself in third person lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't mind him at 11th pick but what concerns me is that he doesn't have good footwork or lateral movement. So I think he's more like a Rudy Gay and will play mostly @ PF position.
    That really stands out. Tbh he reminds me a lot of Al Farouq Aminu-- body wise at least. He probably is a good athleticism and mobility for a four but not so much for a three.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like this kid. He's a very smart player for someone so young; you can see it in his help defense and his movement off the ball on offense (he has a knack for finding open space). He has upside as a shooter (84% from the FT line) and he's even shown a bit of playmaking ability out of the pick and roll as a secondary ball-handler. I think he can further develop his ball-handling, too, as his drives show some promise in that area. He also plays hard.

He's a bit slow-footed on defense, so that might limit his upside in terms of versatility. However, he does have room to improve in terms of his footwork, so that might help his mobility a bit. He also tends to gamble on steals and over-help, but that's coachable.

As has been stated, he's very young, so he has a lot of room and time to grow. I'd be very happy to see the Spurs take him.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there is a potential, poor stats but hes young. If spurs pick him, welcome to austin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams needed another year in college. I don't blame him for wanting to get paid, and there is such a premium on drafting young. But a guy who got 22 minutes off the bench is likely going to be in Austin for a year.

Rebounding is about desire. Technique obviously, but that still comes from desire to be a good rebounder. Maybe a year in the Spurs' system would give him a taste for it. It hasn't done much for LMA, but maybe he would be different.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Patricks please. Pretty much every Patrick ends up being pretty ty in the NBA (Ewing and Beverley aside).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only major concern i have with Williams is his lack of Lateral Quickness, maybe he'll improve. But he does seem to have an high Iq, that's allways there.
    The guy that he reminds me of abit, is Deng.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by ace3g; 08-22-2020 at 11:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm leaning slightly more towards Saddiq Bey over Williams at the spot the Spurs are selecting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a 3&D but this guy can't develop to there. You can't teach lateral quickness. Not my first choice at 11, but he may be the best we can do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a 3&D but this guy can't develop to there. You can't teach lateral quickness. Not my first choice at 11, but he may be the best we can do
    When I learn how to edit videos, this will be one of my first videos.... To show that his lateral quickness isn't as bad as people are making it seem.

Even if it was average at best, our defensive scheme for the last few years has been to funnel the opponent's ball handler to our center to stop them at the rim. So getting blown by isn't the worst thing in the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that both ESPN and SI have the Spurs picking him in their first mock drafts since the draft order was finalized is telling to me. Remember, those mock drafts are based not on who the writers think the teams should pick, but who they think they will, based on their intel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that both ESPN and SI have the Spurs picking him in their first mock drafts since the draft order was finalized is telling to me. Remember, those mock drafts are based not on who the writers think the teams should pick, but who they think they will, based on their intel.
    Yeah but, I think it's pretty hard to get intel on where the Spurs are thinking. Not saying you are wrong, it's just I question their ability to really have an idea what the Spurs are thinking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm repeating myself from the other thread, but I think it's worthy for his thread.

I concede that he's presently not good at guarding quick guards. And while I think he could get better athletically with training to adjust some alleged body issues, the reasonable expectation is that nobody will want him to try to lockdown guards because he can't.

The thing for me is, I want players who can guard their position. If they can guard up or down from their position, that's great. But they need to be able to defend their position. Part of why Forbes is so bad for the team is that he can't defend his position, and Marco played at SF can't defend his spot either (probably not SG either). ETC ETC. But at least guard your man.

And I am sure that Williams can do that with the bigger SFs or 3/4 hybrid players. I think he'll be able to defend the Marcus Morris, or better suited than other Spurs to guard Kawhi. I think he'll be the best Spurs option to go against a Siakam or OG, or Tatum, or TJ Warren, Giannis, Otto Porter, Durant, Ingram, etc etc.

I don't want him guarding Morant or Lillard or Kemba. And the good news is that the Spurs have other guys to check them. I want Murray or White or maybe Keldon or Lonnie on those guys. I want White on Doncic or Trae Young.

And Williams has the added bonus of team defense and some rim protection that makes him playable on top of defending his position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm repeating myself from the other thread, but I think it's worthy for his thread.

I concede that he's presently not good at guarding quick guards. And while I think he could get better athletically with training to adjust some alleged body issues, the reasonable expectation is that nobody will want him to try to lockdown guards because he can't.

The thing for me is, I want players who can guard their position. If they can guard up or down from their position, that's great. But they need to be able to defend their position. Part of why Forbes is so bad for the team is that he can't defend his position, and Marco played at SF can't defend his spot either (probably not SG either). ETC ETC. But at least guard your man.

And I am sure that Williams can do that with the bigger SFs or 3/4 hybrid players. I think he'll be able to defend the Marcus Morris, or better suited than other Spurs to guard Kawhi. I think he'll be the best Spurs option to go against a Siakam or OG, or Tatum, or TJ Warren, Giannis, Otto Porter, Durant, Ingram, etc etc.

I don't want him guarding Morant or Lillard or Kemba. And the good news is that the Spurs have other guys to check them. I want Murray or White or maybe Keldon or Lonnie on those guys. I want White on Doncic or Trae Young.

And Williams has the added bonus of team defense and some rim protection that makes him playable on top of defending his position.

Pat picking up a guard full court at 10:46. Had him until the end. Honestly, I think there's few in the NBA who can stay in front 100% of the time. On our own team, White does a good job of that, but there's usually switches that happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pat picking up a guard full court at 10:46. Had him until the end. Honestly, I think there's few in the NBA who can stay in front 100% of the time. On our own team, White does a good job of that, but there's usually switches that happen.
    That was a great video, thanks for sharing. Look at how PatWill single-handedly forces a 10-sec violation shortly after, 11:56. He seems to be a pesky defender, I like that.

Having watched some more of him from the same game, I'm liking the (possible) pick. I like that Pat's unselfish with the ball, has good movement and knows his spots, he stays with his man and is surprisingly agile/nimble for someone with his size. He tended to defend the rim on a lot of plays, which is interesting, but I also see what Timvp was saying about the rebounds. I haven't seen him try to go for many at all, though he has certain possessions where he boxes out his man (like 15:01), which might be worrisome given the Spurs' actual team construction, which lacks strong rebounders.

But honestly, the one who really caught my eye in the game was Vassell. PatWill far too often was nowhere to be found on offense, his only involvement in a play being receive a pass-dribble once-pass it again, then spot up on the corner and wait for a pass. He didn't really look to gravitate to a dunker's spot or try to crash the offensive boards, far too often "looking in" to the play. He seems to have a nice enough stroke though, with a bit of a slow release as seen at 38:24; I liked his shots, but seemed overly passive. Devin on the other hand, was extremely active: crashing the boards, looking for steals, hustling for loose balls (saves the play and has a nice assist at 39:16, gets a hustle deflection at 42:27, then an airborne block at 43:16). His shot and shooting motion were much more fluid than Williams, but what stood out the most was his confidence - the guy is a born shooter. He can also penetrate off the dribble, as seen on 50:25, unlike Pat who seemed unable to break off his man with dribbling alone.

Probably should post it on the Vassell thread but whatever. What were your concerns regarding Vassell, Dejounte? I'd like to draft them both, and I'm certainly not narrow-sighted enough to claim a prospect above another over a single game, but I'm leaning towards Devin the more I think about it. If he puts a bit of weight, and grows under the Spurs, he could be our wing of the future. I don't know if he has the highest ceiling, but I would for sure walk away a happy man from the draft with a 3&D, modern, prototype player.

Thread Information