San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Devin Vassell

College: Florida State
    Position: SG/SF
    Height: 6-foot-6
    Weight: 195 pounds
    Draft Range: 5 to 15

Why: Shooting stroke is smooth and is pro-ready due to high release. Shot 41.5% from three-point range. Scrappy, hustling defender. He tries hard defending on the ball and has great help-defense instincts.

Why Not: Slight frame makes it questionable whether he can bulk up. As it is, his lack of strength limits his otherwise high defensive potential. He jumps really well but he doesn't have much quickness, which limits him as a driver and finisher.

Spurs Fit: He'd be similar to Keldon Johnson in that he would start the year in Austin but would be ready for a cup of coffee by the end of the year. Long-term, he'd put pressure on Lonnie Walker IV for minutes.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Danny Green

Spurs Comparison - Floor: 2001 Sean Elliott

Statistics
    Highlight video
    Interview

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In before Dejounte says he sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign me up. Derrick White is literally the only guard above 6'2 on our team that can consistently hit 3's. Would be nice to have a person to actually kick too when somebody drives

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In before Dejounte says he sucks.
    He sucks

But I'm glad timvp kinda captured what I've been saying all along in his bio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign me up. Derrick White is literally the only guard above 6'2 on our team that can consistently hit 3's. Would be nice to have a person to actually kick too when somebody drives
    Keldon? Lonnie? Or you think the bubble games were a fluke?

Aldridge? Lyles?

Our shooting was not the issue, defense and Bball IQ was.

Vassell may be able to shoot but the dude also tries to do more than his skill really is... Think Danny Green whenever he tried to dribble and drive or shoot a long range 2. You want to lose your hair? Sure, draft this guy...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping the NBA is able to get official measurements before the draft. At 6-foot-6, Vassell would be a really good pick at No. 11. At 6-foot-4, I wouldn't nearly be as high on him. He needs to at the very least be a legit 6-foot-5, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White .366
    DJ .369
    Lonnie .406

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping the NBA is able to get official measurements before the draft. At 6-foot-6, Vassell would be a really good pick at No. 11. At 6-foot-4, I wouldn't nearly be as high on him. He needs to at the very least be a legit 6-foot-5, IMO.
    Yeah, this continues to bother me. You see a player's "listed height" and then see said player on the court and it doesn't match the eye test.

I mentioned this in another thread:

I wish teams were required to post stock photos of players both in college/NBA so you can compare heights that way instead of by "listed height." As long as there was no trick photography and every player's photo was taken from the same spot, etc. A photo, such as below, would be a great reference point.

Ideally there would be a database/website where you could compare stock photos of draft candidates to NBA players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey TimVP, as you're clearly making a series of this, I would recommend 2 players 1) Pokusevski - good odds he'll be there at 11, and he might (might, might, might) just be a bit special (look at steal and block percentages) 2) Killian Hayes - he'd be falling a bit, but that sometimes happens... and he's a good player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, this continues to bother me. You see a player's "listed height" and then see said player on the court and it doesn't match the eye test.

I mentioned this in another thread:

I wish teams were required to post stock photos of players both in college/NBA so you can compare heights that way instead of by "listed height." As long as there was no trick photography and every player's photo was taken from the same spot, etc. A photo, such as below, would be a great reference point.

Trent Forrest is #3 and his listed height is 6'4"
    MJ Walker is #23 and his listed height is 6'5"

So Vassell might be 6'6"? Or maybe 6'5.5"? His posture makes it hard to tell. It looks like he's trying to look tall with his shoulders up like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my guy, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think he’s gonna be the pick. Should be available at 11 and fits our biggest need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a feeling Vassell and Williams might go back-to-back at 10 & 11 so I think the Spurs will gladly select whichever one PHX doesn’t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as Forbes and Beli are gone I'm all for this kid. I don't see him being more than average to a bit above average defensively in the NBA, but he won't be a liability. Offensively he'll be what Pop wanted Forbes to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think he’s gonna be the pick. Should be available at 11 and fits our biggest need.
    What's our biggest need? Defending guards? Say it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Vassell is going to be a riser. He plays a valuable position and a team out there is going to fall in love with his combination of shooting and defense. I think his actual skill level is more along the lines of a 10-15 pick but this draft is missing wings so that could push him up to the 6-8 range. That could change though if he turns out to be closer to 6-foot-5 and 180 pounds, which is possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White .366
    DJ .369
    Lonnie .406
    GTFOH with shooting percentages
    Dejounte made 39 threes all year before the bubble (and his shooting sucked during the bubble anyways where his percentage dropped considerably)
    Lonnie made 43 threes all year long. He too sucked in the bubble shooting wise.
    You can skew the stats anyway you want it, but the fact of the matter is that they don't shoot enough volume for shooting percentage to matter. Derrick for instance made more than double the amount of 3's that Dejounte made. He is barely under making more 3's than DJ and Lonnie combined.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Vassell is going to be a riser. He plays a valuable position and a team out there is going to fall in love with his combination of shooting and defense. I think his actual skill level is more along the lines of a 10-15 pick but this draft is missing wings so that could push him up to the 6-8 range. That could change though if he turns out to be closer to 6-foot-5 and 180 pounds, which is possible.
    If so then another talented player (probably Williams) would drop to us and I’d be just fine with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon? Lonnie? Or you think the bubble games were a fluke?

Aldridge? Lyles?

Our shooting was not the issue, defense and Bball IQ was.

Vassell may be able to shoot but the dude also tries to do more than his skill really is... Think Danny Green whenever he tried to dribble and drive or shoot a long range 2. You want to lose your hair? Sure, draft this guy...
    Hard to gauge the bubble games. I don't know if they are a fluke or not but Lonnie shot like during them. He just doesn't take or make enough 3's for him to matter in that area. Keldon could become that player. I really hope that he is that player and he certainly looked the type in the bubble. Fingers crossed. I'm not going to really respond much to the Trey Lyles comment and just take it as you were joking. The dude averaged 6 points a game and is basically useless.

But it would be nice to not have a midget playing in the backcourt for once. Imagine White, Lonnie, KJ, DJ, and Vassell on the court at all times. No Forbes, No Marco, and No Patty. All guys that can move, can defend (or we hope can defend in Lonnie's case), long, athletic. Not one is a star for sure but they can be solid players who know their roles and play them out. A young Danny Green would be perfect for this team. Unlike a lot of people, I don't expect to get a star, but get me a player who can hit shots and defend and I'm happy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin standing next to MJ Walker (6'5") again:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B01etnjl...d=f65o1797sb6e

Malik Osborne (6'9") is fourth from left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Terrance Mann #14 is listed as 6'5" and plays for the LA Clippers. He is standing next to Devin Vassell here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz_nu74F...d=ulai2vpdciv7

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to gauge the bubble games. I don't know if they are a fluke or not but Lonnie shot like during them. He just doesn't take or make enough 3's for him to matter in that area. Keldon could become that player. I really hope that he is that player and he certainly looked the type in the bubble. Fingers crossed. I'm not going to really respond much to the Trey Lyles comment and just take it as you were joking. The dude averaged 6 points a game and is basically useless.

But it would be nice to not have a midget playing in the backcourt for once. Imagine White, Lonnie, KJ, DJ, and Vassell on the court at all times. No Forbes, No Marco, and No Patty. All guys that can move, can defend (or we hope can defend in Lonnie's case), long, athletic. Not one is a star for sure but they can be solid players who know their roles and play them out. A young Danny Green would be perfect for this team. Unlike a lot of people, I don't expect to get a star, but get me a player who can hit shots and defend and I'm happy.
    Here's my question to you...

If you don't expect to get a star through the draft, how do you ever expect the Spurs to get one?

They're not ever walking through that door in free agency, nor are the Spurs going to gut their team to trade for one. They're too loyal.

If you ain't shooting for the moon with your draft pick and settling for a Danny Green type, how are we ever going to lift off?

I hope the Spurs have a higher mindset than that... And find a prospect with risks and flaws but can at least see something they can mold into their own star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's my question to you...

If you don't expect to get a star through the draft, how do you ever expect the Spurs to get one?

They're not ever walking through that door in free agency, nor are the Spurs going to gut their team to trade for one. They're too loyal.

If you ain't shooting for the moon with your draft pick and settling for a Danny Green type, how are we ever going to lift off?

I hope the Spurs have a higher mindset than that... And find a prospect with risks and flaws but can at least see something they can mold into their own star.
    I expect us to get one through the draft. But not with the 11th pick and not necessarily this draft either. I really don't expect us to be good until like 3-4 years from now. I say we get rid of all the vets, tank the best we can, grab a top 5 pick and then hope for the best.

Nothing wrong with shooting for the moon, but with what player and who?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Devin is going to rise and I see him being taken off the board before we pick.

Thread Information