Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would rather pick Issac Okoro He has elite defence, strong body and good motor. If his shooting is improved, he can become a good player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's my question to you...

If you don't expect to get a star through the draft, how do you ever expect the Spurs to get one?

They're not ever walking through that door in free agency, nor are the Spurs going to gut their team to trade for one. They're too loyal.

If you ain't shooting for the moon with your draft pick and settling for a Danny Green type, how are we ever going to lift off?

I hope the Spurs have a higher mindset than that... And find a prospect with risks and flaws but can at least see something they can mold into their own star.
    I don't think there is a star to be had unless they trade up tbh.

If Vassell is a Danny Green type, then that's a pretty great use of an 11th pick. The track record for the 11th picks is spotty at best. The two best are Reggie and Klay, both of whom are outliers because they came from better drafts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll probably rewatch the FSU games as I mostly focused on Williams

But I'm becoming more and more used to a Vassell pick

I liked Thybulle last year because he was a generational defender at least in zone and would improve the team and create events in limited minutes, I didn't think he would be a star or anything.

And I think he played some small forward this year also.

Vassell may not be the generational defender, but he's active with a nice wingspan, and has plenty of draftniks convinced he's the best perimeter defenders in the draft. Plus better offense and 2 years younger than Thybulle was.

One drawback is that with Keldon breaking out, the amount of available minutes for Vassell might be capped at his size. And he may not have a lot of Star potential.

But he's probably fine.

Having him with Keldon and Murray and White and Lonnie, that's the 1-3 pretty well covered if a little small at SF

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll probably rewatch the FSU games as I mostly focused on Williams

But I'm becoming more and more used to a Vassell pick

I liked Thybulle last year because he was a generational defender at least in zone and would improve the team and create events in limited minutes, I didn't think he would be a star or anything.

And I think he played some small forward this year also.

Vassell may not be the generational defender, but he's active with a nice wingspan, and has plenty of draftniks convinced he's the best perimeter defenders in the draft. Plus better offense and 2 years younger than Thybulle was.

One drawback is that with Keldon breaking out, the amount of available minutes for Vassell might be capped at his size. And he may not have a lot of Star potential.

But he's probably fine.

Having him with Keldon and Murray and White and Lonnie, that's the 1-3 pretty well covered if a little small at SF

It's like you said, with Keldon blowing up, Vassell is redundant.

Drafting Vassell is suc bing to the fact that our current young core will not get much better to deserve more than 20 minutes each. Theres simply not much minutes to spread around, unless you want to keep playing this farce of a small ball.

Think about it... If from our current core, White gets a sizeable contract, Lonnie gets a sizeable contract (if he does well next year), and then if Keldon continues his trajectory... Max player right there. Then with Vassell? Youre basically admitting that after his rookie year, he will be making DJ level (role player money) salary at his peak. Because surely youre not going to use up all your salary on 1-3? The cap distribution among the positions just doesnt make sense. All of the cap money will go to our guards. Redundancy is the issue here.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm having a hard time imagining that the Spurs would pick Vassell over Saddiq Bey.

I really like the thought of Bey on the floor with Keldon. Keep DDR at the 4 and LMA at the 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon? Lonnie? Or you think the bubble games were a fluke?

Aldridge? Lyles?

Our shooting was not the issue, defense and Bball IQ was.

Vassell may be able to shoot but the dude also tries to do more than his skill really is... Think Danny Green whenever he tried to dribble and drive or shoot a long range 2. You want to lose your hair? Sure, draft this guy...
    Another was to say that is Pop and Bryn were the issue. To an extent even LA for thinking he’s the alpha.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RealGM Wiretap

Devin Vassell Has 'Fans' Within Knicks Organization
    Aug 22, 2020 11:56 AM

Florida State guard Devin Vassell is reportedly drawing interest within the New York Knicks organization for the upcoming draft, sources told Ian Begley of SNY.
    The Knicks have the 8th pick in the draft.

"Vassell...has some fans at Madison Square Garden," reported Begley.

The 19-year-old Vassell averaged 12.7 point and 5.1 rebounds last season at Florida State.

Ian Begley/SNY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are plenty of good reasons to not draft Vassell. Thinking the Spurs are set a 1-3 isn't one of them. We're talking about an 11th pick here. If for some reason all of White, Walker, Johnson and Vassell are starter-worthy players, you just trade one and keep it going. There are plenty of scenarios where Walker or Johnson could miss a season or get overpaid in RFA where it'd be nice to have another guy in the wings. And for all we know, next year, one of those guys might be the key incentive in a trade to get that franchise piece. Some problems are good to have, and some things don't need to be problems in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping the NBA is able to get official measurements before the draft. At 6-foot-6, Vassell would be a really good pick at No. 11. At 6-foot-4, I wouldn't nearly be as high on him. He needs to at the very least be a legit 6-foot-5, IMO.
    He's clearly not 6'4". Also, most sites have him at 6'7" with a 6'10" / 6'11" wingspan.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/devin-vassell/
    https://seminoles.com/sports/basketb...devin-vassell/
    http://www.tankathon.com/players/devin-vassell
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Vassell
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...assell-131122/

He's probably somewhere between 6'6" and 6'7". I will never understand why you guys don't use the metric system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sold on him. He's skinny so would take time before he bulks up his body. He looks a young Derozan to me with a shooting and defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are plenty of good reasons to not draft Vassell. Thinking the Spurs are set a 1-3 isn't one of them. We're talking about an 11th pick here. If for some reason all of White, Walker, Johnson and Vassell are starter-worthy players, you just trade one and keep it going. There are plenty of scenarios where Walker or Johnson could miss a season or get overpaid in RFA where it'd be nice to have another guy in the wings. And for all we know, next year, one of those guys might be the key incentive in a trade to get that franchise piece. Some problems are good to have, and some things don't need to be problems in the first place.
    I agree with you to an extent about drafting a player who would dethrone weaker players and trading away those weaker players when the opportunity comes. But if only that player had high potential. Vassell doesnt move the needle, if this was say, Anthony Edwards then i say go for it. Spending your 11th pick on Vassell is a waste. I would draft Lonnie, White, and Keldon over Vassell if they were all in the same draft... So it all comes down to that. You draft a player with the mindset that they would probably be drafted over the players you have already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team could need a Danny Green type player, plus he’s still young and has a lot of room for improvement. I‘d much rather draft a PF though

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A wing player that can shoot and play D is the most important position on an nba team in 2020. This seems like a no-brainer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A wing player that can shoot and play D is the most important position on an nba team in 2020. This seems like a no-brainer.
    Good thing we drafted that exact player last season, in Keldon... But agree on Vassell being a highly sought-after archetype. He probably won't be there at #11, tbh.

Also, I'll hold off my opinion on Vassell until we get combine measurements. If he's strictly a SG with his height/length, he's much less useful than if he has size to play SF part time or even full time. His frame makes me skeptical of the latter, but it'd make him a more enticing pick for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. And the leader of minutes played on the Spurs is a wing player who can't shoot and is a defensive liability. There's the #1 problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Low IQ on offense, a twig body that doesn't look like a frame that could fill out. No thanks
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-25-2020 at 02:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Watch Devin and Tyrese back to back and you'll see the difference in IQ. Devin has no awareness of spacing and likes to put himself in awful positions to shoot. (He literally drives into two defenders and pulls up)

Magic number is three for the number of prospects who become stars from the first 10 players picked from the draft. Probably three become mediocre role players and the remaining four fall off the face of the planet.

People really want to bet on Devin?
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-25-2020 at 02:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Low IQ on offense, a twig body that doesn't look like a frame that could fill out. No thanks
    You just described Paul George

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just described Paul George
    Paul George had much wider shoulders

Also, pretty sure Paul is taller and has a longer wingspan. Let's wait for those combine numbers.

Pat Williams is a player who looks like he has Paul George's build. And he looks like he towers over Devin and has a bigger frame.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With his new shooting form, maybe Vassell will drop to 11. https://twitter.com/i/status/1316450770447892480

These college players need to stay the away shooting "coaches"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With his new shooting form, maybe Vassell will drop to 11. https://twitter.com/i/status/1316450770447892480

These college players need to stay the away shooting "coaches"
    Hopefully he drops past 11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Too bad we won't get accurate height measurements for this twig since he opted out of the combine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As mentioned in other thread...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully he drops past 11.
    Lmfao. As soon as I saw the video of Vassell's "new shooting form" I had to run here and see what the #1 member of the Devin Fan Club had to say about it...

Thread Information