Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can't afford to draft a 6'5 guy who's an average shooter. I like the player, I like his profile, I just don't see it making any sense for us.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Point guard centric teams rarely win championships. See Chris Paul, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash... You just need a solid clutch scoring point guard to win.

Days of the passing point guards over. Combo guards are the new NBA.
    thank god we have murray

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But now that you mention it, there are a LOT of capable offensive players in the NBA... under the right conditions. How much better are/were the GSW players with Steph on the court? Do you think having Kyle Lowry AND Fred VanVleet has mad a difference to Toronto? Does Kemba Walker make Boston better? , the Clippers would struggle if they just replaced Patrick Beverly with another SG..
    You keep listing combo guards in attempt to argue that PGs make their teams better. Why is FVV a PG but White isn't? You're seriously arguing Beverly is a PG? Do you just want more short guys on the roster? I think you can argue Kemba's actually a PG, and sure Curry is too. But neither one is a guy who runs the offense. Both are part of systems run by their coaches with play-making responsibilities distributed among multiple players. It's weird that you think on-off means something in this discussion. No one is saying those players aren't valuable. But that could be because they're good players and not just because they're PGs.

Spurs don't need a PG... SMDH.
    It's weird that you think this is an obvious point when I think a lot of Spurs fans would disagree with you. The team doesn't need a PG, because modern offenses don't require a prominent set-up man. Actions are way more complex than they used to be, and players from 2-5 have all taken on more perimeter responsibilities. If anything, right now they lack guys that DON'T need to be the PG of the play to be effective. Murray isn't struggling because he doesn't have a PG. He's struggling because he built a game that requires him to be a PG, and he lacks those skills. White's best with the ball in his hands. DeRozan is best with the ball in his hands. Murray's the "best" with the ball in his hands. Gay is the best with the ball in his hands. Aldridge is the best with the ball in his hands. Too many guy need the ball, and the solution isn't to get some other guy who needs the ball in his hands. It's to make those guys realize they don't need to create all the time. If you have leverage, go for it. If you don't move the ball.

You would be the first one to say that the BPA depends on the team - but not if someone else said it first.
    You're conflating two different things. BPA theoretically doesn't depend on team. But people usually mean BPA to mean following a draft board, and those boards should be made with needs in mind. The team doesn't need a PG, especially if they do not get rid of some of their ball-dominant players. But they do need vertical spacing, and dribble penetration is one of the way to get that. So a scoring combo-guard who specializes in driving to the basket would help the offense. That player doesn't need to have legit PG skills. They just need to be able to beat their man (reliably), finish at a good rate in the paint and hit their catch-and-shoot looks when it's their turn. It could be a guy like Lewis. It could be a bigger wing that does it (haven seen one in the draft). It could be a rim-runner like Toppin. Someone has to do it.

But they don't need anything like a "pure PG", which seems to be this guy's selling point. If the team thought he was the best guy, they should bring him in and try to make the best use of his skills. But the answer isn't going to be having him CP3 everyone in position like he's the only one who understands how to run a play.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You take BPA, period. If he’s still available at 11, you absolutely take him and figure it out. I don’t think any of the young guards on the roster excel at not only creating plays for themselves but for others as well. Also, having Hayes’ size at the 1 will always be beneficial from a defensive standpoint.

Having a “pure PG” with a high BBIQ absolutely is valuable. I don’t think anybody would disagree that decision making at the guard spots was a weakness throughout the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How did you make the leap from needing a PG to being point guard centric? You people just love to put words in other peoples' mouths, and then argue against things they never said.

Who, specifically, has said that this team has "enough offense" and then said that they need a player specifically to run it? Asking for a friend.

But now that you mention it, there are a LOT of capable offensive players in the NBA... under the right conditions. How much better are/were the GSW players with Steph on the court? Do you think having Kyle Lowry AND Fred VanVleet has mad a difference to Toronto? Does Kemba Walker make Boston better? , the Clippers would struggle if they just replaced Patrick Beverly with another SG.

Spurs don't need a PG... SMDH. You just like to ing argue. You would be the first one to say that the BPA depends on the team - but not if someone else said it first.
    Patrick Beverly isn't a PG on the Clippers' offense though. Admitted as much by the Clippers own coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You take BPA, period. If he’s still available at 11, you absolutely take him and figure it out. I don’t think any of the young guards on the roster excel at not only creating plays for themselves but for others as well. Also, having Hayes’ size at the 1 will always be beneficial from a defensive standpoint.

Having a “pure PG” with a high BBIQ absolutely is valuable. I don’t think anybody would disagree that decision making at the guard spots was a weakness throughout the season.
    Not to mention it puts the nail in the coffin of the "DJ as PG of the future" issue. Either drives Murray to improve in order to fight for his spot, or relegates him to where he's looking like he belongs - the bench.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BPA is fairly relative and it has to be considered alongside team needs. They way you do this is you place players into tiers according to talent/intangibles etc and draft according to your tier system. If you need a PF and you have a PG and PF in your top tier and both are available you take the PF. If you have a PG in your top tier and a PF in your next tier down you take the PG. You can't afford to be so rigid that you don't consider need at all...it all has to be done in context.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BPA is fairly relative and it has to be considered alongside team needs. They way you do this is you place players into tiers according to talent/intangibles etc and draft according to you tier system. If you need a PF and you have a PG and PF in your top tier and both are available you take the PF. If you have a PG in your top tier and a PF in your next tier down you take the PG. You can't afford to be so rigid that you don't consider need at all...it all has to be done in context.
    I agree with this. There just isnt any top tier PGs for me. BPA is fine as long as it's clearly BPA.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BPA is fairly relative and it has to be considered alongside team needs. They way you do this is you place players into tiers according to talent/intangibles etc and draft according to your tier system. If you need a PF and you have a PG and PF in your top tier and both are available you take the PF. If you have a PG in your top tier and a PF in your next tier down you take the PG. You can't afford to be so rigid that you don't consider need at all...it all has to be done in context.
    Of course. However, you also can’t afford to simply draft for need when your roster is missing talent. To be frank, most lottery teams are lacking talent, and I don’t think the Spurs are any different. Outside of the top PFs, I don’t think there are any tier 1 players that’ll realistically be available at 11.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course. However, you also can’t afford to simply draft for need when your roster is missing talent. To be frank, most lottery teams are lacking talent, and I don’t think the Spurs are any different. Outside of the top PFs, I don’t think there are any tier 1 players that’ll realistically be available at 11.
    I have no idea how the Spurs are breaking players into tiers and they probably don't even know this early. I would guess that the way we break them down will change between now and the draft too.

An example from my own perspective. I had Okoro in my top tier early on...as I've looked closer I've got him and Robert Woodard in the same tier now. I've got okoro with a higher floor but Woodard can guard 4's with his length and strength and shot the 3 at over 40% last season. My opinion on both might change with new revelations in the coming weeks...It's a process.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patrick Beverly isn't a PG on the Clippers' offense though. Admitted as much by the Clippers own coach.

LOL. Check the date on your article. When Beverley first showed up after playing for D'Antoni, he was free-lancing a lot. This year a lot of credit has been given to Beverly for keeping the offense flowing better... as a PG.

It took me about 10 seconds to find quotes from this year:

“He’s not a pure point guard, but he’s doing his best,” Rivers said. “He’s the one guy who knows what we want to run the most. And I told him after the game, I thought he called a great game. He was like a catcher tonight. Every play he called was the right play, so I was proud of him, because that’s a big step for him, where he came down and he was making calls tonight. “That hasn’t happened, that’s something we need.”

And:

After the Clippers made franchise history with three players scoring 30 or more in the same game and outlasting the New York Knicks 135-132, Rivers revealed he has begun the process of handing over more of the team's offensive playcalling to Beverley. Rivers has been giving Beverley his play sheet, something he has done with just two other point guards in his 20-plus seasons as head coach.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea how the Spurs are breaking players into tiers and they probably don't even know this early. I would guess that the way we break them down will change between now and the draft too.

An example from my own perspective. I had Okoro in my top tier early on...as I've looked closer I've got him and Robert Woodard in the same tier now. I've got okoro with a higher floor but Woodard can guard 4's with his length and strength and shot the 3 at over 40% last season. My opinion on both might change with new revelations in the coming weeks...It's a process.
    IIRC the Spurs had Lonnie in their top 10 overall and were very happy that he fell to #18. With the #11 pick there's a chance they will get someone they have in their top 6.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL. Check the date on your article. When Beverley first showed up after playing for D'Antoni, he was free-lancing a lot. This year a lot of credit has been given to Beverly for keeping the offense flowing better... as a PG.

It took me about 10 seconds to find quotes from this year:

“He’s not a pure point guard, but he’s doing his best,” Rivers said. “He’s the one guy who knows what we want to run the most. And I told him after the game, I thought he called a great game. He was like a catcher tonight. Every play he called was the right play, so I was proud of him, because that’s a big step for him, where he came down and he was making calls tonight. “That hasn’t happened, that’s something we need.”

And:

After the Clippers made franchise history with three players scoring 30 or more in the same game and outlasting the New York Knicks 135-132, Rivers revealed he has begun the process of handing over more of the team's offensive playcalling to Beverley. Rivers has been giving Beverley his play sheet, something he has done with just two other point guards in his 20-plus seasons as head coach.
    So, exactly what I said? Thanks but I already knew it, tbh.

Derrick White is much more of a point guard than Beverly would ever be, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, exactly what I said? Thanks but I already knew it, tbh.

Derrick White is much more of a point guard than Beverly would ever be, tbh.

ing stupid take.

But, hey, I guess you proved that the Spurs don't need a PG after all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing stupid take.

But, hey, I guess you proved that the Spurs don't need a PG after all.
    Yeah, and Pop has Murray sitting on coaches meetings. That's something you do with players that are "nominal PGs", but don't have PG skills, in hopes they improve their game managing skills a bit. Rivers knows Beverly isn't a true PG, I know Beverly isn't a true PG, everybody that knows even a little bit of basketball knows Beverly isn't a true PG. If this is the hill you decide to die on, fine, but know that nobody is dying on it with you, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of the consensus top 10, him or Vassell are probably the best bets to slip. Maybe a team like the Wizards or Suns, who want to be in the playoffs next year, aren't as concerned with perceived upside and go for a likely more immediate contributor like Nesmith.

If so, it'd be difficult to pass. His lack of athleticism is a concern in terms of getting to the rim and defending, but a big, play making guard, with pull up 3-point shooting potential, is an intriguing package.

They could then shop Murray for either a later or future pick or better fitting young player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright, basically from what I see from watching this guy a little bit is this:

He's a calm and collected type player. Doesn't have much burst. Has decent vision. Doesn't stand out in any area honestly. He's not bad, but he's also not a gamechanger. He's tier 2 on my PG list, just because he's for sure better than players like Cole, Theo, Maxey. Reminds me a lot like Quinndary. Would be an unexciting pick compared to the other two much better looking prospects in Halliburton and Kira.

Prelim Player Comparison: Left handed Quinndary Weatherspoon with slightly better vision but without the tough defense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw some tape with a closeup on his Killian's form ... and, damn, it's a mess. He shoots the ball with his thumbs -- I'm not sure I've seen that since Bill Cartwright was in the league. I put it on super slow-mo and the last two fingers that touch the ball are his thumbs

His catch-and-shoot jumper also can have Markelle Fultz-ish hitches in it. Off the dribble, though, Killian looks fine. He can also hit free throws so there's a chance he's could be a good shooter. But if the Spurs draft him, they'd have to give Chip a raise, tbh.

Still like him -- still looks like one of the few possible engines in this draft -- but after seeing his jumper up close, he probably wouldn't be ready as quickly as I originally thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is like SGA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw some tape with a closeup on his Killian's form ... and, damn, it's a mess. He shoots the ball with his thumbs -- I'm not sure I've seen that since Bill Cartwright was in the league. I put it on super slow-mo and the last two fingers that touch the ball are his thumbs

His catch-and-shoot jumper also can have Markelle Fultz-ish hitches in it. Off the dribble, though, Killian looks fine. He can also hit free throws so there's a chance he's could be a good shooter. But if the Spurs draft him, they'd have to give Chip a raise, tbh.

Still like him -- still looks like one of the few possible engines in this draft -- but after seeing his jumper up close, he probably wouldn't be ready as quickly as I originally thought.
    Fair enough and I know you didn't say so, but they don't really need him to be ready next season.

If they offer Murray and 11 for 7 and filler and retain the "mid 3" through next season, the rotation would likely be . . .

Lyles/Gay
    DeRozan/Johnson
    Aldridge/Poeltl
    Walker/Mills
    White/Hayes

He'd really only need to average the 15 or so mpg DeRozan doesn't play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He's a lot like a young Ricky Rubio. He distributes his ass off. He's not much of a scorer, but he scores enough. He would make DeRozan much more dangerous, if the Spurs plan to keep him.

I didn't see the thumbs - that's a damn good catch. It would be nice to think that his stroke would be an easy fix, but that's nasty. It's funny that he shoots FT's as good as he does. Still, a 6'5" Ricky Rubio wouldn't be all bad, and any shooting improvement would be a bonus. I don't think he makes it to 11, but there is an increasing number of players who aren't supposed to make it to 11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's alright. Nothing he shows is outstanding... Creativity isn't spectacular, his first step isn't explosive, doesn't exhibit great speed. Not understanding all the hype... Is it because he's foreign and a lefty? Not a bad pick, but not an exciting one either.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's manu'esque in the way that he doesn't have a right hand but is crafty enough to not affect his game. Has three level scoring tools at much higher skill level than any of the lead guard prospects. He is a skilled relative to age kind of prospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's alright. Nothing he shows is outstanding... Creativity isn't spectacular, his first step isn't explosive, doesn't exhibit great speed. Not understanding all the hype... Is it because he's foreign and a lefty? Not a bad pick, but not an exciting one either.

Yeah, it depends on how you feel about Rubio, I think. Do you think a guy who only scores a dozen or so a game, but has huge AST numbers is valuable? He (Rubio) had 1,300 points generated by AST this year, and Murray had just under half that.

Still, I wish I didn't just read what TIMVP said about his shot.

Thread Information