Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To people who have seen him play - could Nesmith play the full-time 3? Is he more of a 3, a 2.5, or a 3.5? How is his man-to-man and team defense? From the available measurements on Timvp's draft profile, he looks like a carbon copy of Keldon at draft night - both 6'6'', both at 215, no idea about Nesmith's wingspan... But Keldon is already a stretch IMO to play the 3 full time, so I'm worried about getting a player of very similar measurements/projected playing role. I'd love to hear more about him to decide whether it's worth it to watch a few full games on Nesmith.
    Seems like he picks up players his size up to the 3. I need to watch more.

Nesmith is the only wing (2.5) so far where I'd make an exception to my preference for a 3.5. His talent pops out of the screen and is a perfect fit for the modern NBA. You draft him and you just work it out somehow.

In 3 years, maybe a core of:

White/ DJ/ Q
    Nesmith/ Lonnie
    Keldon
    Samanic
    Poetl

I'd still draft Precious and maybe Pat over Nesmith. But I would be happy with any of these three scenarios.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nesmith is the only wing (2.5) so far where I'd make an exception to my preference for a 3.5. His talent pops out of the screen and is a perfect fit for the modern NBA. You draft him and you just work it out somehow.

White/ DJ/ Q
    Nesmith/ Lonnie
    Keldon
    Samanic
    Poetl

I'd still draft Precious and maybe Pat over Nesmith. But I would be happy with any of these three scenarios.
    I like him alot too. I'd still prefer to trade up if we could get Obi or Wiseman but if we can't my 'perfect' draft would be Nesmith at 11...pick up a 2nd 1st for Woodard...and use my 2nd on Perry or Reed.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count

White/ DJ/ Q
    Nesmith/ Lonnie
    Keldon
    Samanic
    Poetl

I'm wary of that stress fracture. Last thing I want the Spurs to do is draft someone that's already damaged goods. Hopefully, they take a good look at his medical charts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm wary of that stress fracture. Last thing I want the Spurs to do is draft someone that's already damaged goods. Hopefully, they take a good look at his medical charts.
    Yeah, that would be my main concern. I looked at an article about who has had that type of injury. Scary.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 08-26-2020 at 11:54 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't matter what position he plays, he's role is as a movement shooter, he'll get the touches that beli and bryn are getting. These kind of guys are so valuable in a high-level nba offense, that's why guys like bryn forbes and duncan robinson are being played even though they are negative defensively. This is also the reason cam johnson , was selected 11th overall in the last draft.
    Yeah, I see the value he brings to the table, I wouldn't really be opposed to drafting him IF the Spurs are clear on his medical records. I agree with other posters that I'd be worried about that, and I personally would also prefer a more SF/PF hybrid kind of player.

Though, if you were to guarantee me the drafting of Nesmith means I never have to see another minute of either Forbes nor Beli in a Spurs uniform, I think that alone is worth the #11 pick, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more I watch, the more I love. Not common for players I watch.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...d--cj-mccollum

If Aaron did not get injured, would he have kept up the same production? And would that have made him a top 3 pick?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more I watch, the more I love. Not common for players I watch.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...d--cj-mccollum

If Aaron did not get injured, would he have kept up the same production? And would that have made him a top 3 pick?
    I agree. Injury concerns are my only question and I trust the medical staff in that regard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the top 10 more or less play out to projection and his medical checks out, I suspect he's the guy.

Seems like a Spur and would fill a clear need and one they've typically valued: Off movement wing shooter. Unlike most of them, has decent enough physical tools to be a non liability defender (the type the likes of James, Harden, etc. seek out, force switches, repeatedly breakdown and run off the floor).

The "can he play SF?" question is foolish. Of course, he can and will nominally play it plenty and given his lack of lateral quicks, it might even be more suitable. He won't be able to defend the likes of James, S bag, etc. though.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo hes more SG than SF. We need an athletic PF much more. If spurs can find smb in a 2nd round or trade for another 1st to draft a guy like jalen smith or even poku im ok with neismith. But for now imo precious is a better choice.

edit: due to tankathon spurs selects reggie perry. Killian tllie might be available too (imo better player). If this could happen im more than ok with neismith
    Last edited by spurspl; 08-27-2020 at 06:21 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo hes more SG than SF. We need an athletic PF much more. If spurs can find smb in a 2nd round or trade for another 1st to draft a guy like jalen smith or even poku im ok with neismith. But for now imo precious is a better choice.

edit: due to tankathon spurs selects reggie perry. Killian tllie might be available too (imo better player). If this could happen im more than ok with neismith
    Killian looked intriguing when I checked him out, then I learned he has a terrible injury history. Sounds like the Jontay Porter of this year...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    " Nesmith’s season was ended by a broken foot, but having done this on the team side I can tell you a single foot injury is rarely impactful on a player’s draft stock. " - Hollinger

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on what he broke. If it's his fifth metatarsal, then he's done. It'd be a damned shame too. He looks like he could be special. The team would definitely need to be on the look out for a PF of the future, but they'd have so many options for the eventual 1-3 that all have different skill-sets. Would make this season interesting and lower the chances that both Forbes and Beli come back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on what he broke. If it's his fifth metatarsal, then he's done. It'd be a damned shame too. He looks like he could be special. The team would definitely need to be on the look out for a PF of the future, but they'd have so many options for the eventual 1-3 that all have different skill-sets. Would make this season interesting and lower the chances that both Forbes and Beli come back.
    The nail on the coffin already happened to Forbes when Pop didn't play him at all during the bubble. It sounds too good to be true to most folks because of what we've seen year long, but I'm pretty sure that was the end. He gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk didn’t James Anderson have a similar injury that pretty much derailed his career when he was on the spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk didn’t James Anderson have a similar injury that pretty much derailed his career when he was on the spurs
    Yeah, if it's the fifth metatarsal for Nesmith too then I'll give this a hard pass. I really liked him too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A question, are people overrating his shooting from a hot streak in an injury shortened season? He played 14 games this season . Last year he shot 34% from 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A question, are people overrating his shooting from a hot streak in an injury shortened season? He played 14 games this season . Last year he shot 34% from 3.
    Partly yes, I wouldn't expect him to be anywhere near that in the NBA but he did go from 5.5 3 attempts to 8.2 and managed to shoot it that well. I don't think a 38% career shooter from 3 would be out of the question for him if he stays healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Like I said in the other thread: remember to use context when interpreting this data.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy's footwork coming off of down-screens is masterful, tbh. He reminds me more and more of Dale Ellis in that each step he takes coming around picks is purposeful and has obviously been practiced extensively.

Injury is worrisome. He also has no court vision, which gives him definite bust potential if his shooting doesn't translate. It's also weird that Vanderbilt wasn't better before he went down since they actual had decent talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy's footwork coming off of down-screens is masterful, tbh. He reminds me more and more of Dale Ellis in that each step he takes coming around picks is purposeful and has obviously been practiced extensively.

Injury is worrisome. He also has no court vision, which gives him definite bust potential if his shooting doesn't translate. It's also weird that Vanderbilt wasn't better before he went down since they actual had decent talent.
    Agreed. He's my number 2 after Jalen Smith.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's also built like Kawhi Leonard:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if the Rockets beat the Lakers, there's a strong possibility we will get this guy and commit to small ball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if the Rockets beat the Lakers, there's a strong possibility we will get this guy and commit to small ball.
    Like they're going to make a monumental decision based off of a series they're not even involved in. You're also overrating the Lakers if you read into the result.

The Spurs don't have an all time great player nor do they have the ancillary personnel for it. Tucker and Covington are 3.5's (I know the former plays the nominal 5), something none of DeRozan or the Spurs' youth is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like they're going to make a monumental decision based off of a series they're not even involved in. You're also overrating the Lakers if you read into the result.

The Spurs don't have an all time great player nor do they have the ancillary personnel for it. Tucker and Covington are 3.5's (I know the former plays the nominal 5), something none of DeRozan or the Spurs' youth is.
    I'm not so sure it's so "monumental". We're not far off from being there. If anything, we are often playing small-er ball without players like Tucker and Covington. Aldridge is a step away from being phased out due to age, and we haven't totally committed to Poetl yet.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not so sure it's so "monumental". We're not far off from being there. If anything, we are often playing small-er ball without players like Tucker and Covington. Aldridge is a step away from being phased out due to age, and we haven't totally committed to Poetl yet.
    If you're suggesting playing DeRozan as a full time nominal "PF", then yeah, that's monumental.

Whether it's Aldridge and Poeltl or whoever is brought in to replace them, they're still going to have multiple rotational centers.

Thread Information