My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Batum is not expiring
    Yeah he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on man, of course they do. You make it sound like front office executives are casual fans/media.

He is.
    My mistake. I was reading this year as next year and thinking he has one more PO year after.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can I hijack the thread slightly to ask you, Timvp, to move the BLM post to the political forum? I'd tag you there but I still don't know how to tag users, despite being on here for some time now, lol. It's annoying.

On a separate note, yeah to Toppin, one of the few prospects I wouldn't mind the Spurs trading up for.
    It was one thing when games were on hiatus and it was the core topic. Time to clean it up. I’d start with ducks. This guy is nothing more than a paid spammer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really see the Amare comp on offense, but he could be as bad as Amare on defense. He has a 7'4 wingspan, so maybe there's hope that he can at least be a rim protector on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop would turn Toppin into a plus defender. I don’t care how bad he looked in college, he has the athleticism and length. If he messes up on defense Pop would yank him. Definitely my favorite in this draft, I just don’t see a way to get him

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't take much. A team like ATL probably doesn't care about their pick much. I really think a basic swap with Murray would be enough to jump up. But is that high enough? I think the Spurs need to be as aggressive as they can between 2 and 10. If they like Toppin as much as I do, then they don't have anything too valuable to deal. I'd just try as hard as possible to avoid giving up White, Walker or Johnson. I'd take back bad money. I'd give up future picks (though protected if they're firsts -- not completely crazy). Whatever. If they can come out of this off-season with a projected first unit of White, Walker, Johnson, Toppin and Poeltl, I'd be crazy happy.
    Aren't Toppin and Poeltl somewhat redundant on offense? Without a respectable jumper, where does Poeltl space to in order to allow Toppin room to roll to the rim?

White/Walker/Johnson/Toppin/Aldridge would be far better imo. If giving up DeRozan can get the Spurs far enough up the draft board to get Toppin then that lineup can happen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really see the Amare comp on offense, but he could be as bad as Amare on defense. He has a 7'4 wingspan, so maybe there's hope that he can at least be a rim protector on offense.
    6'11''. https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=...598145608#mock

Pop would turn Toppin into a plus defender. I don’t care how bad he looked in college, he has the athleticism and length. If he messes up on defense Pop would yank him. Definitely my favorite in this draft, I just don’t see a way to get him
    Just like he did with this team the last two years? It's not about coaching, it's about physical tools. You're conflating vertical with lateral athleticism (see DeRozan).

Aren't Toppin and Poeltl somewhat redundant on offense? Without a respectable jumper, where does Poeltl space to in order to allow Toppin room to roll to the rim?

White/Walker/Johnson/Toppin/Aldridge would be far better imo. If giving up DeRozan can get the Spurs far enough up the draft board to get Toppin then that lineup can happen.
    He has a respectable jumper. I view the comp here as Collins, who's adept at rim running and floor spacing. He's probably not best next to a strict rim runner, yet he requires that type to protect the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to these two sites his arm span is either 7'2 or 7'4

https://ca.nba.com/news/nba-draft-20...613erolxqvmrsd

https://www.lineups.com/articles/obi...020-nba-draft/

I found this:

One remarkable physical feature about Toppin is his 7 foot 4 wingspan. Toppin’s length makes up for his lack of size for the position he plays. As a result, Toppin has turned into an adequate rim protector and disruptive force on the defensive end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Having two guys who provide vertical spacing isn't a bad thing, especially given that the guards aren't good at it. If Toppin couldn't shoot and couldn't create from the perimeter, it'd probably an issue. But it's like being worried Poeltl doesn't fit with a slashing guard. There's room in the interior for a center so long as everyone who's outside is a willing and able shooter. Toppin should be able to spot up with success, so it won't impede PnRs he's not in or other drives by guards. And when Toppin is the roll-man in PnRs, Poeltl should be able to take the dunker spot.

Maybe if/when Toppin develops into a true first option, the team will want to be four-out so he can work. That's not the case yet. He probably does fit better with Aldridge offensively, but defensively, there's more potential with Poeltl. I'd still prefer to keep LMA, but I'm willing to trade him as part of a package to get Toppin, whereas Poeltl can't be traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors would be thrilled to get this kid if they're looking for an immediate impact assuming they're not looking for a trade sooner (rumored Giannis) which is kinda scary since it would make a lot a space for him with because of the play style of Warriors. He would like the Klay in 4 or 5 position that can score without having to dribble much.

If things doesn't work out and they're leaning already getting a star, they can just simply trade him (assuming the Warriors picked him), Wiggins and T'Wolves 2021 1st). I quite envy them since they have flexibility and multiple-options.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. He does look longer than 6'11'' and The Ringer initially had Haliburton at 7'0'' before switching to 6'8'' and Bey at 6'10'', but I've seen 6'11'' elsewhere.

Either way though, he seems somewhat like Lyles, in that despite his possible length he'll need a rim protector next to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be ecstatic to get Obi Toppin, any way we could make it DDR or LMA and #11?

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be ecstatic to get Obi Toppin, any way we could make it DDR or LMA and #11?
    I can’t see anyone under 7 that would be interested in passing up on even mediocre talent for a one year rental of either of these guys.

Neither of them move the needle for anyone. If you want to move up it’s going to cost the pick and something with the potential to be a rotation player for more than a year.

Moving DDR or Aldridge would be something you do if you’re moving down and want to free up cap space, they’re not the kind of pieces that help you move up. Maybe NY would be dumb enough but not after that Morris fest.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only watched 2 whole games (VCU and Colorado) and also checked out a lot of the scouting videos on youtube and I am less and less impressed by him.

The dunks are flashy and that's great, and the Spurs could use a vertical threat.

I just find his defense to be so poor, and am not much of a believer of his other offensive weapons at the moment for the NBA level.

His defensive awareness was awful. Doesn't mean it will always be that way, Murray in college was atrocious also. But if his man was screening off ball, it made no difference to him. He was one of the few guys who could on defense during an inbounds under the basket, be under the basket with his man and get distracted enough by watching other dudes just running around that he lost his man under the basket for the score. While starting right there under the basket.

And I know he shot well from 3, I don't like how his shot looks. I'm in the minority I'm sure and no shot doctor, I just watch it and don't think it's going in. I may be suffering from a bias as the Colorado game was the first one I watched and it was brick city.

And I agree with some of the naysayers on reddit who mention that a lot of his scoring success in the post at the college level was against scrub teams and he wasn't really matched against real talent.

I wouldn't go berzerk if he fell to them and they drafted him but I'm not rooting for a trade-up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Remember to use context here and factor in usage when interpreting this data.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    C'mon bruh, you know better than this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't buy anybody that the Spurs pick at 11th being a Day 1 starter unless Brooklyn backs up the BRINKS truck

We're talking way past his prime Pop here, not the 1998 version. If the Spurs drafted a prime Tim Duncan, he'd be riding the bench for a year behind Trey Lyles until "he got over himself"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And I agree with some of the naysayers on reddit who mention that a lot of his scoring success in the post at the college level was against scrub teams and he wasn't really matched against real talent.

I wouldn't go berzerk if he fell to them and they drafted him but I'm not rooting for a trade-up.
    After watching some tape of him I think the same. He played against average teams and he is 22.
    The NBA will Be whole different, still I think he could a good offensive four ala drew gooden but not more.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't take much. A team like ATL probably doesn't care about their pick much. I really think a basic swap with Murray would be enough to jump up. But is that high enough? I think the Spurs need to be as aggressive as they can between 2 and 10. If they like Toppin as much as I do, then they don't have anything too valuable to deal. I'd just try as hard as possible to avoid giving up White, Walker or Johnson. I'd take back bad money. I'd give up future picks (though protected if they're firsts -- not completely crazy). Whatever. If they can come out of this off-season with a projected first unit of White, Walker, Johnson, Toppin and Poeltl, I'd be crazy happy.

Murray and 11 for Toppin would be a real coup. I think he Toppin could go #3, though, and Minny won't trade down that far for just Murray and 11. A protected first might work. When you're talking taking back bad money, I assume you mean James Johnson (I assume he's opting in). I don't know how they would work that out, but yeah I'd take his deal to get Toppin. I don't think there's a chance in , but I'd take it.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only watched 2 whole games (VCU and Colorado) and also checked out a lot of the scouting videos on youtube and I am less and less impressed by him.

The dunks are flashy and that's great, and the Spurs could use a vertical threat.

I just find his defense to be so poor, and am not much of a believer of his other offensive weapons at the moment for the NBA level.

I don't think he's THAT bad on the defensive end. When you consider how slow Gay was this year, I'm not sure he would be a downgrade there. And he would be a definite upgrade offensively.

Not like it matters, since Pop would put him in Austin anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toppin is basically a more mature Rui Hachimura. The two players are about the same age, so it's not really a case where Rui has a bunch more potential. Having that extra year in the league has probably helped with his development, but he didn't seem to have much more in his game besides dunking. Even so, I think a lot of people would have been willing to give up an extra first last year to grab him. For the same price this year, I think it's a no-brainer. Obi is just a lot better, and he still has room to grow.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...-rui-hachimura

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toppin is basically a more mature Rui Hachimura. The two players are about the same age, so it's not really a case where Rui has a bunch more potential. Having that extra year in the league has probably helped with his development, but he didn't seem to have much more in his game besides dunking. Even so, I think a lot of people would have been willing to give up an extra first last year to grab him. For the same price this year, I think it's a no-brainer. Obi is just a lot better, and he still has room to grow.

The huge disparity in FTA rate tells a story. Rui plays more like a bruiser power forward, while Toppin plays like an athletic Antawn Jamison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty lofty comparisons. If his floor really is a middle-class Terry mings he's a no-brainer if available.

Dayton kids are usually smart ball players and well-coached, which should make his transition to Spurs ball easier as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't really see the comparisson, tbh. Hachimura is more of a 3/4 while Toppin is a 4/5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rui isn't a three at all. I think they're both PFs.

Thread Information