San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Obi Toppin

College: Dayton
    Position: PF
    Height: 6-foot-9
    Weight: 220 pounds
    Draft Range: 3 to 10

Why: Amazing offensive weapon. It's not hyperbole to compare him to Amare Stoudemire with a three-point shot. Great run and jump athlete. Big hands, finishes with power. Smooth jumper; a 41.7% three-point shooter at Dayton. Reads defenses well and doesn't force the issue. He was born to be a pick-and-roll finisher.

Why Not: Defense is going to be a struggle. Doesn't have the strength or length to be a quality post defender. Defending out on the perimeter he looks like a fish out of water. He has a stiff upper body and his reaction speed isn't great, which also makes him an iffy rebounder. He's one of the older prospects (22).

Spurs Fit: Toppin would be a Day 1 starter at power forward.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Bigger Larry Kenon

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Middle Class Terry mings

Statistics
    Highlight Video
    Interview

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can I hijack the thread slightly to ask you, Timvp, to move the BLM post to the political forum? I'd tag you there but I still don't know how to tag users, despite being on here for some time now, lol. It's annoying.

On a separate note, yeah to Toppin, one of the few prospects I wouldn't mind the Spurs trading up for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a reminder,

Last year, Obi Toppin was being projected as a late first rounder.

The Spurs worked him out before Obi decided to go back to school.

Imagine if the Spurs could find a Toppin in this draft who is projected late but would BOOM next year like Toppin did because he went back to college?

Here's the article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news4sa...out-with-spurs
    Last edited by Dejounte; 08-21-2020 at 09:14 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be thrilled. Fits with young core great. We have a lot of defenders already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be thrilled.
    No-brainer at 11 if he somehow falls due to his age -- but that is unlikely to happen, even though other 22-year-olds have tumbled on draft day before.

He's one of the few prospects in this draft I'd trade up to target even though sometimes he looks like a hunchback Marco Belinelli on defense. I'd trust that his leaping ability alone would allow him to become an acceptable defender if he puts in the work. I doubt he'll ever be even an average defender but his offensive upside is so high that I can overlook it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a reminder,

Last year, Obi Toppin was being projected as a late first rounder.

The Spurs worked him out before Obi decided to go back to school.

Imagine if the Spurs could find a Toppin in this draft who is projected late but would BOOM next year like Toppin did because he went back to college?

Here's the article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news4sa...out-with-spurs
    Yeah, Spurs were on him last year. They was the first team to work him out. That would have been nice, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Spurs were on him last year. They was the first team to work him out. That would have been nice, tbh.
    Damn, responding to the two posters that didn't address you directly in this thread and leaving me out? Feeling kind of dissed over here... Just joking. But do tell me, what's the code for tagging someone? Simply typing username doesn't seem to get it done.

E: Well, it seems like that does, indeed, get it done. Never mind me then...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This year way before the draft hype started it was rumored that the Spurs really like Precious it’s funny at the time we were picking 19 or 20.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This year way before the draft hype started it was rumored that the Spurs really like Precious it’s funny at the time we were picking 19 or 20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The uberest of ubers for me. A defensive four would raise the young core's floor, but an ace offensive player would raise the team's ceiling way more. Toppin is the only player I would be willing to trade up for. I would've considered Wiseman over him had the Spurs won the lottery, but I don't think I'd be willing to give up a lot of future value for him. Perfect fit with Aldridge or Poeltl because he can play inside an out. Has lead-dog potential because he has good handles and play-making for the position. Big enough to play small-ball center. I don't see why he shouldn't start at the four right away. Just everything the Spurs could ever ask for for the present and future.

Make it happen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The uberest of ubers for me. A defensive four would raise the young core's floor, but an ace offensive player would raise the team's ceiling way more. Toppin is the only player I would be willing to trade up for. I would've considered Wiseman over him had the Spurs won the lottery, but I don't think I'd be willing to give up a lot of future value for him. Perfect fit with Aldridge or Poeltl because he can play inside an out. Has lead-dog potential because he has good handles and play-making for the position. Big enough to play small-ball center. I don't see why he shouldn't start at the four right away. Just everything the Spurs could ever ask for for the present and future.

Make it happen.
    We probably have to move into the top 4 or 5 to have a shot at him or Wiseman. What would you think wed have to give up to make that jump?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would have to trade up to get him. Whoever gets him, I think he will be the rookie of the year as he will see the floor more than most.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We probably have to move into the top 4 or 5 to have a shot at him or Wiseman. What would you think wed have to give up to make that jump?
    I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't take much. A team like ATL probably doesn't care about their pick much. I really think a basic swap with Murray would be enough to jump up. But is that high enough? I think the Spurs need to be as aggressive as they can between 2 and 10. If they like Toppin as much as I do, then they don't have anything too valuable to deal. I'd just try as hard as possible to avoid giving up White, Walker or Johnson. I'd take back bad money. I'd give up future picks (though protected if they're firsts -- not completely crazy). Whatever. If they can come out of this off-season with a projected first unit of White, Walker, Johnson, Toppin and Poeltl, I'd be crazy happy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't take much. A team like ATL probably doesn't care about their pick much. I really think a basic swap with Murray would be enough to jump up. But is that high enough? I think the Spurs need to be as aggressive as they can between 2 and 10. If they like Toppin as much as I do, then they don't have anything too valuable to deal. I'd just try as hard as possible to avoid giving up White, Walker or Johnson. I'd take back bad money. I'd give up future picks (though protected if they're firsts -- not completely crazy). Whatever. If they can come out of this off-season with a projected first unit of White, Walker, Johnson, Toppin and Poeltl, I'd be crazy happy.
    I don't think he lasts until 6 but I get your point. Obi is about perfect next to Poeltl. Obi and Wiseman are the only two I would trade up for. I'm not enamored with anyone at 11. I personally don't see a huge difference in value between the Williams of the draft and Woodard in the 20's. So, moving up to get your guy makes complete sense and if you can get back in 20's for a Woodard type or even sitting pat and getting a Reggie Perry with our 2nd rd pick makes a ton of sense to me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't do this. I don't see as much in Toppin as you do. Yes, he's going to be a significant offensive player. But I see a worse defender than Amare... Which is to say he gives most of it back. I'm not sure I'd call trading Murray +11 for Toppin a better value proposition than drafting Paul Reed at 41... To match Toppin's offensive ability, Reed needs to get a lot better with his jumpshot. But to match Reed's defense, Toppin needs to rework everything he does defending...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't do this. I don't see as much in Toppin as you do. Yes, he's going to be a significant offensive player. But I see a worse defender than Amare... Which is to say he gives most of it back. I'm not sure I'd call trading Murray +11 for Toppin a better value proposition than drafting Paul Reed at 41... To match Toppin's offensive ability, Reed needs to get a lot better with his jumpshot. But to match Reed's defense, Toppin needs to rework everything he does defending...
    Toppin is an oppressive offensive force. We're not talking about a guy who gets 18 but lets his guy go off. We're talking a guy who might drop some 50-point games in his prime. I like Reed a lot -- he's probably in my top five out of players I'd want the Spurs to come out with in the draft. But he's nowhere near the offensive prospect Toppin is. He has that funky shot and is probably going full Metu with his perimeter game. I think his defense is special, and in a world where the Spurs' perimeter guys develop into stars, having someone who I think can legit guard 2-4 and still have some offensive game is really nice. But in what I think is the real world where there isn't a first option in the core but there are guys who can thrive as second or third options, getting a legit offensive star would tie the whole unit together. And it helps that Toppin is a great rim-runner on PnRs and on the break. He'd make the perimeter players better by giving them an easy outlet ala STAT and Chandler for their guards.

In the long game, I don't think Murray is a factor, so I totally see getting Toppin over some other guy at 11 as a win. If they did that and Reed is still there at 41, take Paul too. There will be time for both of them as the roster clears out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derozan to CHA for their pick + Batum

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'd need to offer more i think since ddr is on an expiring deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Hawks need another play maker to relieve and allow Young to play off the ball some. Murray obviously doesn't fit that bill and while White would, given the age gap between him and Avdija, Haliburton, Hayes (two of which should be available at six) they'd be better off selecting one of them.

Granted, there is some internal pressure to "take the next step", but even if they were willing, I doubt the Spurs would make that move.

Like they'd trade the third pick for an aging, pseudo star on an expiring (and given their situation, it'd take top dollar to get him to extend), when they have ample cap space anyway and Batum is expiring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams don't know Murray's a bad play-maker though. They see a young guard whom the Spurs liked and who flashes somewhat frequently. He will be in demand, just as PatFO probably don't regret that contract yet.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bigest need this team is defense, and the last thing we need is another guy that is offense only. So no Thank You!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bigest need this team is defense, and the last thing we need is another guy that is offense only. So no Thank You!
    Team needs offense way more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have rim protection with either Poeltl or lma...we've got guys capable of defending on the perimeter...we need a sf/pf guy who can score and is on the boards

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Hawks need another play maker to relieve and allow Young to play off the ball some. Murray obviously doesn't fit that bill and while White would, given the age gap between him and Avdija, Haliburton, Hayes (two of which should be available at six) they'd be better off selecting one of them.

Granted, there is some internal pressure to "take the next step", but even if they were willing, I doubt the Spurs would make that move.

Like they'd trade the third pick for an aging, pseudo star on an expiring (and given their situation, it'd take top dollar to get him to extend), when they have ample cap space anyway and Batum is expiring.
    Batum is not expiring

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams don't know Murray's a bad play-maker though. They see a young guard whom the Spurs liked and who flashes somewhat frequently. He will be in demand, just as PatFO probably don't regret that contract yet.
    Come on man, of course they do. You make it sound like front office executives are casual fans/media.

Batum is not expiring
    He is.

Thread Information