Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I'm not that big of a fan. I've watch barely anything he's done, but from what' I've seen his best attribute is his passing. His shooting looks good too, but I wonder if he'll have the Jimmer problem of not really being able to get it too consistently unless he's the one with the ball. I think I prefer the Spurs draft Lewis if they're looking at a guard at 11. Kira can also shoot pretty well, and I think his speed is a legit NBA skill that he'll be able to leverage to become a good point guard. I'm not sure if Haliburton can do enough on offense at the NBA level to allow his passing to shine.

Not saying he can't succeed, but I have similar concerns about him that I did about Poke. It's not that he didn't play against any good compe ion, but that his value is going to rely on his game, usage, shot-selection, driving ability to transfer to the next level. It's a thin margin, and so much of what makes him intriguing would fall apart if even one or two things can make the leap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A back court of Haliburton & White has an off-the-charts BB IQ. This guy has really grown on me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Haliburton myself, not enough to trade up for him but I'd consider him at 11 pretty strongly. I also like Lewis as well but I wouldn't take him at 11. If I could trade back with Boston I might take him there if a couple of other targets were off the board. I'd use the extra pick of the first on Woodard if he's still on the board.
    Last edited by mo7888; 09-23-2020 at 07:30 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I'm not that big of a fan. I've watch barely anything he's done, but from what' I've seen his best attribute is his passing. His shooting looks good too, but I wonder if he'll have the Jimmer problem of not really being able to get it too consistently unless he's the one with the ball. I think I prefer the Spurs draft Lewis if they're looking at a guard at 11. Kira can also shoot pretty well, and I think his speed is a legit NBA skill that he'll be able to leverage to become a good point guard. I'm not sure if Haliburton can do enough on offense at the NBA level to allow his passing to shine.

Not saying he can't succeed, but I have similar concerns about him that I did about Poke. It's not that he didn't play against any good compe ion, but that his value is going to rely on his game, usage, shot-selection, driving ability to transfer to the next level. It's a thin margin, and so much of what makes him intriguing would fall apart if even one or two things can make the leap.
    Come on, man. At least watch a bit more. The talent is eye popping. It's like watching Steph Curry confidence out there with him, with skill to back it up.

He dominates Kira in this matchup:

Kira, with all his speed, can't get past Tyrese when he's covered by him.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-23-2020 at 07:03 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't remember what was the talk at the time but what led to Steph Curry being drafted #7 in his class? It's not like the other players had way better college stats.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...asheem-thabeet

Was it because those other six players had "legit level NBA size and athleticism"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyrese's usage % (20%) is lower than most, if not all, his college point guard peers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on, man. At least watch a bit more. The talent is eye popping. It's like watching Steph Curry confidence out there with him, with skill to back it up.

I don't really put any stock into dominating a matchup in college. I'm sure both players will learn and adapt. I have no doubt that folks are right and Haliburton does have a super BBIQ and probably does understand how to execute a defensive gameplan way better than the average college player. Lewis probably isn't there yet. But that doesn't mean that that will always be the case. Parker struggled against length at various points of his career and only seemed to figure it out completely in his absolute prime. He was still a very good offensive player for years. Lewis is also going to have to learn how to harness his talent in the most efficient way possible. But as he's doing that, he'll still be a good shooter who'll be able to attack in secondary penetration.

Look at this game for example. From these highlights, it's clear that ISU gameplanned their whole effort around stopping Lewis. I think suggesting Haliburton did some great one-on-one job is mischaracterizing what happened. He had a butt-ton of help on every possession. Every time Lewis got into the paint, multiple players closed out on him. It looks to me like Lewis didn't know how to handle that kind of attention and became passive. In the future, it's not hard to imagine that he and his coaches will have ways to counter that. Dude was 18.

I really don't care about flashy passes or fakes. I know a lot of folks grew up enraptured by Jason Williams, but I'm perfectly fine with a guy who makes boring passes that get to the right man. Seeing more of Haliburton gives me the impression of a guy with a pretty complete college game but with shooting that may just not translate to the NBA level. If he can't score reliably at the NBA level, then his IQ isn't going to do nearly as much good, because defenses are not going to key on him as much. Even his absurd range isn't that assuring, because it seems to be a function of his release point. He HAS to stand that far away to get his shot off. That negates the added spacing because players can play just as far off him and still recover. It also means his teammates have to make longer passes for the equivalent shot, leading to a great risk of the ball getting deflected.

His defense is probably workable, but if it's basically just off-ball stuff, then teams might just go directly at him way more to prevent that. Like would he still be an Anderson-level defender? Yes. That's actually really good, though his smaller frame than Kyle will drop that impact somewhat. I'm not sure that the net is really as possible as folks think, especially when talking about upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't remember what was the talk at the time but what led to Steph Curry being drafted #7 in his class? It's not like the other players had way better college stats.

Was it because those other six players had "legit level NBA size and athleticism"?
    Curry was a junior who played at a small school. He was basically a proto-Lillard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess every prospect has questions, otherwise they'd be the #1 pick. Tyrese's IQ and confidence tells me he will overcome those doubts early in his career. We will see. I've seen many athletic freaks fail more than I have seen IQ players fail. It's what makes me lean more towards Jalen Smith than Precious.

The passes weren't just flashy, they were smart. He makes high level reads.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-23-2020 at 08:32 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a cross between Jason Kidd and Manu Ginobili

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a cross between Jason Kidd and Manu Ginobili
    He reminds me more of ex-Spur Donnie Freeman. You have to really go back to remember Donnie.

Donnie had that same Haliburton/George Hill frame -- kind of tall for a guard (back then), lanky, skinny.

Same smooth but not explosive game. When Donnie left the Spurs to go to the Lakers (just before the NBA/ABA merger) Laker voice Chick Hearn gave him a nickname -- "Fluid Drive."

Donnie was getting older when he was with the Lakers. He was creaky but he was effective. Not a wasted motion. Chick loved him.

But you don't remember Donnie Freeman (I'm pretty sure) and I fear that may be the case with Haliburton -- a consistent, effective pro but maybe not the game-changer that he's being portrayed to be.

We'll just have to see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Those back-to-back Tyrese vs Kira possessions at 2:11 were very telling. Kira couldn't penetrate at all, both instances tried to just pass the ball, then the first time had his shot blocked (!) by Halliburton, second time has the pass picked by Tyrese's heroics. Give me this guy any day of the week, and twice on Sundays...

I've also been impressed by his rebounding instincts, having watched some more tape on him. It's really interesting, especially considering that's the one area Dejounte is elite at. If we draft Halliburton, I think it's the official nail in the coffin for DJ, or at least DJ-at-PG, unless he has a breakout season next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those back-to-back Tyrese vs Kira possessions at 2:11 were very telling. Kira couldn't penetrate at all, both instances tried to just pass the ball, then the first time had his shot blocked (!) by Halliburton, second time has the pass picked by Tyrese's heroics. Give me this guy any day of the week, and twice on Sundays...

I've also been impressed by his rebounding instincts, having watched some more tape on him. It's really interesting, especially considering that's the one area Dejounte is elite at. If we draft Halliburton, I think it's the official nail in the coffin for DJ, or at least DJ-at-PG, unless he has a breakout season next year.
    Will DJ ever let it go if he gets supplanted at his role? I think the dude is oozing with ego...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ignore the jersey lmao

This dude has a signature taunt where he holds up his hands in the form of a "call me" sign. Combine that with his big ol smile, this guy is going to be marketable as a star. So much swag.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think Minnesota somehow, idiotically, drafted two different point guards before Curry, which led to him falling.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Minnesota somehow, idiotically, drafted two different point guards before Curry, which led to him falling.
    Yup, Ricky Rubio (who stayed in Spain for two season) and Jnny Flynn, taken at #5 and #6.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will DJ ever let it go if he gets supplanted at his role? I think the dude is oozing with ego...
    No, he won't - if the Spurs draft Haliburton, IMO, it's a clear sign DJ is getting traded. We couldn't even trot him out as an actual PG in the bubble, with White resorting to handling those duties even though he's the nominal SG, so if the team takes a young, lottery prospect who's miles better as a passer, playmaker, ball-handler, has a much higher BBIQ and is also quite likely a better shooter than DJ is... There's no place for DJ to fit, other than the bench, and we've seen already how he takes to being benched.

The more I think about the team going forward, the less I like the idea of DJ in it. I don't agree with Zeus that the team NEEDS a PG, but I'd be okay with drafting one, if only to be assured that Murray will be on his way out, either this off-season or the next one.

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, Ricky Rubio (who stayed in Spain for two season) and Jnny Flynn, taken at #5 and #6.
    I believe there was a recent article wherein Khan said that Curry didn’t show up in his work out for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He reminds me more of ex-Spur Donnie Freeman. You have to really go back to remember Donnie.

Donnie had that same Haliburton/George Hill frame -- kind of tall for a guard (back then), lanky, skinny.

Same smooth but not explosive game. When Donnie left the Spurs to go to the Lakers (just before the NBA/ABA merger) Laker voice Chick Hearn gave him a nickname -- "Fluid Drive."

Donnie was getting older when he was with the Lakers. He was creaky but he was effective. Not a wasted motion. Chick loved him.

But you don't remember Donnie Freeman (I'm pretty sure) and I fear that may be the case with Haliburton -- a consistent, effective pro but maybe not the game-changer that he's being portrayed to be.

We'll just have to see.
    A Donnie Freeman reference? Wow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Last edited by ace3g; 10-02-2020 at 10:13 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Form was ugly but the quickness of that release was ridiculous (curry-like).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ignore the jersey lmao

This dude has a signature taunt where he holds up his hands in the form of a "call me" sign. Combine that with his big ol smile, this guy is going to be marketable as a star. So much swag.
    The next Caron Butler?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Swaggy T

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't watched full games yet only youtube breakdowns and this guy is too damn skinny. Vassell is wiry, but Haliburton hyper twiggy.
    According to this article posted on ESPN yesterday (and others I've seen), Haliburton has been hitting the weights hard and has gained 18 lbs since the end of the college season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...ated-prospects

Thread Information