Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ouch I felt that burn all the way over here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://basketball.eurobasket.com/te...s/56590?Page=2

Digging down into the numbers a little for Olympiacos B is interesting. In games where Poku played, they were 10-1. In games he missed they were 6-3. After he came back from a knee injury he was on minutes restriction, but in the final game of their season had a stat line of 15 pts, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals, & 1 TO in 17 minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have little doubts about Poku's perimeter skills. Him being to handle the ball on the perimeter won't be an issue, tbh. For comparisson's sake, Poku's ballhandling skills are a lot better than Giannis' when he was drafted, and Giannis clearly didn't have a problem transitioning that to the NBA. Don't worry about that son. Poku's question marks come from his weight, body holding up and him proving he will be able to not be a one on one defensive liability.
    Nah. The question is if his positives actually exist in an NBA context. People expect prospects to have holes. No one's gonna ding him for being skinny at 18 years old (though whether he can ever gain weight is obviously an issue). His offense is going to be the question mark.

Lemme put it this way. A lot of folks were worried about Jimmer making it in the NBA because they didn't know if he could be a PG. They were not worried about his shot because they could see he could create enough space to get it off. Those people were exactly wrong. Jimmer's floor game was fine for a combo-guard. He was a good scorer who could make plays in the paint and was a willing passer with decent vision. His problem was that he could only get his shot off consistently if he was the one who created the space, and when it came down to it, it wasn't worth it to let him have the ball in his hands that much.

So the issue with Poke is going to be can he create at a high enough level to justify building an offense around him. If that answer is yes, then his weight and defense won't matter (the holding-up part would still matter, but it'd be worth the risk to most teams). If the answer is no, then all of those questions and more will come up.

Just like how for Jimmer, his shooting WAS the problem, for Poke, his offense IS the question mark. It's what has to work. Everything will come after that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

FYI - how many of you knew that he missed 3 months with a knee condition that a lot of scouts attribute directly to his skeleton frame?
    Do you have a link? I haven't seen any details/talk online about the exact nature of the injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://basketball.eurobasket.com/te...s/56590?Page=2

Digging down into the numbers a little for Olympiacos B is interesting. In games where Poku played, they were 10-1. In games he missed they were 6-3. After he came back from a knee injury he was on minutes restriction, but in the final game of their season had a stat line of 15 pts, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals, & 1 TO in 17 minutes.
    The dude is a stat stuffing machine, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft him but poop won’t because of white privilege or som bs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Others here have already explained it. I'll give you a hint though: you don't play basketball using your head.
    OK, but that rationale is usually used to compensate for shortness, like Dejuan Blair or Keldons neck, not to discount a 7 footers height. Seems kind of backwards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s usually the criteria for being a potential unicorn. You have to do a lot of things well, including things not normal for your position. If you categorize him as a big, his assists and steals are out of the norm. If you categorize him as a perimeter player, then his rebounds and blocks stand outside of the norm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's why I like Andrei Kirilenko as a comparison, a guy who had multiple 5x5 games.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you have a link? I haven't seen any details/talk online about the exact nature of the injury.

A friend who's in a FO. Everybody claims to have "a source" - I'm not playing that game.

You can see in this Stepien article that they mention his medical history as "lengthy absence, unclear why". https://www.thestepien.com/2020/02/2...outing-report/

And this scouting report that says, "No public details of exact injury, team physicals could be crucial to his draft stock".https://advanceprobasketball.com/202...zachary-smith/

Free information is worth what you pay for it, but it sounded to me like the concern is that they weren't forthcoming with information about exactly what kept him out for three months. Personally, I'm always skeptical of injuries in big men who are frightfully skinny, like Bol Bol. The more I look at Pokusevski, the more I wonder if he can ever bulk up enough to be anything more than a perimeter player, and if he does bulk up would he be as versatile as people want him to be?

Reading a draft is just a hobby, anyway. The Spurs hardly ever call to ask my opinion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are right, standing reach is still pretty dope at 9'1" though.
    9'1 is Not an out off the chart standing REACH for a player with that size, just watch the measurements from the combine last year.

But i don't think the standing reach is that important, im more interested in the Max vert, agility lane..... What do you think about poku athletically, he is explosive a little bit ? The lateral quickness ? Thanks.
    Last edited by duncan2150; 08-31-2020 at 06:48 PM.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    9'1 is Not an out off the chart standing REACH for a player with that size, just watch the measurements from the combine last year.

But i don't think the standing reach is that important, im more interested in the Max vert, agility lane..... What do you think about poku athleticaly, he is explosive a little bit ? The lateral quickness ? Thanks.

Standing reach is a big factor in coming down with rebounds. Especially for a player who isn't spending most of his time banging in the low blocks with other giants.

Pokusevski's measurements are almost identical to Tiago Splitter's, except for being 30 (or more) lbs. lighter than Tiago was.

DeJuan Blair was almost 6 inches shorter, but his standing reach was only about 2.5" less, and his wingspan was only 1" less than Pokusevski. Blair weighed something like 265 coming out of college - 65 lbs. heavier. He had the bulk and strength to get in and root for position. You can be tall AND a good jumper, but if another guy has rooted you out of position, you're not going to come up with the ball a high percentage of the time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Standing reach is a big factor in coming down with rebounds. Especially for a player who isn't spending most of his time banging in the low blocks with other giants.

Pokusevski's measurements are almost identical to Tiago Splitter's, except for being 30 (or more) lbs. lighter than Tiago was.

DeJuan Blair was almost 6 inches shorter, but his standing reach was only about 2.5" less, and his wingspan was only 1" less than Pokusevski. Blair weighed something like 265 coming out of college - 65 lbs. heavier. He had the bulk and strength to get in and root for position. You can be tall AND a good jumper, but if another guy has rooted you out of position, you're not going to come up with the ball a high percentage of the time.
    I agree

What i mean is : Poku standing reach is not something, last year a lot of C's or PF's had nearly the same standing reach and a lot of them are little than Poku.
    With a prospect like him i think the athletism could be the difference after the builk concern.... he looks lighter on his feets but what about his laterality and his jump ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But i don't think the standing reach is that important, im more interested in the Max vert, agility lane..... What do you think about poku athletically, he is explosive a little bit ? The lateral quickness ? Thanks.
    -He has deceptive leaping ability, specially from a standing still position, that's a big part of his success in blocking and rebounding.

-he is very mobile and impressively coordinated for a guy his size, but for some reason he doesn't translate that entirely on his perimeter defense, he can get beaten off the dribble fairly easy when not totally engaged.

-He is not particularly fast, but he isn't slow by any means. Runs the floor well on transition and has a good first step on the half court.

Overall, he's an average to slightly above average athlete. His strongest point being the agility and coordination, and the weakest, by far, his strength.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok thanks

Thread Information