Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who would you take between Pokusevski and Avdija? Trying to get a "sense of the room."

The comparison is somewhat inapt because the Spurs have the 11th pick. There's about a 95% chance that Avdija will be gone at 11 and about an 80% chance (albeit it trending down) that Poku will be there at 11 (according to most mock drafts).

But assuming they were both available, who would you take. (I'd take Avdija but Poku is generating so much enthusiasm I'm interested in other opinions.)
    Having seen full games of both, Pokusevski filled my eyes a lot more. The dude can impact the game in pretty much every area. I think I'm seriously not exagerating if I say that not a full minute went by without Pokusevski doing something positive on the floor. Whether it is a rebound, a block shots, a steal, a pass, a score, etc, the dude was constantly making his prescence felt. Avdija can dissappear for long stretches even with your entire attention focusing solely in him.

But, of course, there's the compe ion level to consider. Pokusevski played mostly on the Greek second league and in the under 18 Eurobasket. While Avdija won MVP of the Israeli first division. Thankfully the Spurs pick 11 instead of 6 and they won't need to make a choice between the two. I don't know if it is because I've paying more attention to the guys on the 8-15 range, but I like them a lot more than the top 8 prospects.
    Last edited by DAF86; 08-25-2020 at 05:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won’t be. He has the chops to be a top 5 player in this draft, and teams aren’t as dumb as they used to be. He won’t get past Dallas at 17, and could be gone at 8 to NY as a Kristaps replacement.
    Cuban is licking his chops at the prospect of adding him to his list of great White hopes from Europe. He will definitely pick Poku if he's available.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep mock all ready have Dallas picking him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't disagree with any of that. Still, I'd like to hear how a couple of you see him being used - say in his third season. I think Garnett would have struggled his whole career if he hadn't gotten up to 240 lbs. For this kid, that's a 50 lb. upgrade. A 7-foot perimeter guy would be a real unicorn.

I'd love to see a 7-footer with real passing skills, just to help the team get the damn ball inbounded.
    I don't know his true weight now, but it's definitely not 190 lbs. He weighed in at 189 at the Basketball without Borders of the NBA All Star game, which happened in January of 2019 (17 months ago), 196 at the BWB Eurocamp in June '19 (14 months ago), and then at 205 at the beginning of the Olympiacos season (Oct '19, 11 months ago). My guess is he's at least 210 now, as most recent pics show him to not be nearly as thin as the pics from 2018/19.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-new...all-star-game/
    https://eurospects.com/?page_id=8163
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 08-25-2020 at 07:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DEFENSE

32:23 bad defense. Gets blown by

37:24 same bad defense. Gets blown by

39:36 AGAIN bad defense in the same corner. Gets blown by

41:23 WAY out of position on defense on this play

48:19 seems like he was day-dreaming on defense on this play, lets the opposing player drive by him

49:32 someone tell me what he was thinking during this fast break by the other team? He just went to no man’s land. Didn’t attempt to cover the ball handler to try and deflect the pass

1:00:50 he is literally just WALKING on defense, not paying attention to his man. His man is wide open for a three and shoots it without any cover (misses it because these guys aren’t NBA players)

1:27:28 Feet are not quick enough to recover from the stepback, gave way too much space for the shooter

1:30:20 being slow footed here again on defense

1:49:01 this rebound SUMS up his physical prowess… WOW. If you are going to watch one play from this list I made, watch this one. What a joke…

OFFENSE

1:29:58 his length and height did him no favors here. He’s being defended by a really short dude and missed horribly. NO strength whatsoever to back down the smaller player

1:50:03 probably the only real offensive highlight from the whole game

I watched this whole game and Poku was invisible during the most of the game. Maybe it was an off game but I don’t see the “massive impact” on offense some posters here claim he has. I’m not writing him off yet, but this POOR display of defense makes me believe he’ll have a difficult time sniffing the court for the Spurs.

Also, I see now how he gets his blocks. It’s when he trails a player and chases them from behind for the block. I don’t see that happening at the NBA level where players are much faster. He rarely had a block during a 1 on 1 defensive sequence (think Keldon on Doncic)

So while I was up on Poku this morning, I’m now down on him tonight lmao. Such is the way of evaluating players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, after watching Bryn Forbes for a couple years and his insufferable defense, I dont know how any of you are able to tolerate any form of poor defense. No matter how good one's offense can be, poor defense will always irk me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DEFENSE

32:23 bad defense. Gets blown by

37:24 same bad defense. Gets blown by

39:36 AGAIN bad defense in the same corner. Gets blown by

41:23 WAY out of position on defense on this play

48:19 seems like he was day-dreaming on defense on this play, lets the opposing player drive by him

49:32 someone tell me what he was thinking during this fast break by the other team? He just went to no man’s land. Didn’t attempt to cover the ball handler to try and deflect the pass

1:00:50 he is literally just WALKING on defense, not paying attention to his man. His man is wide open for a three and shoots it without any cover (misses it because these guys aren’t NBA players)

1:27:28 Feet are not quick enough to recover from the stepback, gave way too much space for the shooter

1:30:20 being slow footed here again on defense

1:49:01 this rebound SUMS up his physical prowess… WOW. If you are going to watch one play from this list I made, watch this one. What a joke…

OFFENSE

1:29:58 his length and height did him no favors here. He’s being defended by a really short dude and missed horribly. NO strength whatsoever to back down the smaller player

1:50:03 probably the only real offensive highlight from the whole game

I watched this whole game and Poku was invisible during the most of the game. Maybe it was an off game but I don’t see the “massive impact” on offense some posters here claim he has. I’m not writing him off yet, but this POOR display of defense makes me believe he’ll have a difficult time sniffing the court for the Spurs.

Also, I see now how he gets his blocks. It’s when he trails a player and chases them from behind for the block. I don’t see that happening at the NBA level where players are much faster. He rarely had a block during a 1 on 1 defensive sequence (think Keldon on Doncic)

So while I was up on Poku this morning, I’m now down on him tonight lmao. Such is the way of evaluating players.
    The guy was selected to the league's all-defense team but, sure, let's go with cherry picks from a random poster on the internet with a clear agenda.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't disagree with any of that. Still, I'd like to hear how a couple of you see him being used - say in his third season. I think Garnett would have struggled his whole career if he hadn't gotten up to 240 lbs. For this kid, that's a 50 lb. upgrade. A 7-foot perimeter guy would be a real unicorn.

I'd love to see a 7-footer with real passing skills, just to help the team get the damn ball inbounded.
    Garnett played in a different NBA. Big men roamed the paint with impunity, and dominated the NBA landscape. Think of how nba PFs play now. No one posts up. Everyone parks at the 3 point line. Post defense isn’t required of 1-4. I think you have his weight wrong. He’s 200, and if he could get to even 225, he has a chance to be special, with his Swiss Army knife game. Think of how you normally evaluate prospects. He heeds work on his jump shot, or to tighten his handle, or needs to learn the pick and roll game. ALL this kid needs is 25 lbs. Thats it. His game is pretty damn advanced and complete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy was selected to the league's all-defense team but, sure, let's go with cherry picks from a random poster on the internet with a clear agenda.
    What agenda? I clearly was for the guy. How can I be cherry picking when theres multiple instances. Holy . You're a fraud, dude. You post these full videos and claim you watch them. I back my up with evidence and don't make baseless comments like you do constantly. Again, off and you. Youre the worst ing poster on here.

Bu-bu-but league's best defender! How can you say with a straight face after watching these games? These ing players suck! You can't even go look at the time stamps I listed and refute them because you're ing lazy, a fraud, and stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What agenda? I clearly was for the guy. How can I be cherry picking when theres multiple instances. Holy . You're a fraud, dude. You post these full videos and claim you watch them. I back my up with evidence and don't make baseless comments like you do constantly. Again, off and you. Youre the worst ing poster on here.
    At this point, disagreeing with everything I say. I think I could say I changed my tune about Vassell and he sucks, and you would suddenly say that he's the next Jordan and the Spurs need to draft him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW, I already said that his one on one defense isn't a strength and that he freelances too much on defense and gets lost some time. However, his overall impact on that side of the floor still makes him a plus defender, hence why he was selected to the all-defensive team of the league.

You can't watch just one game and focus only on his bad possessions and declare him a defensive liability. You need to watch a handful of games, take the good and the bad and see which outweights the other.
    Last edited by DAF86; 08-25-2020 at 09:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, disagreeing with everything I say. I think I could say I changed my tune about Vassell and he sucks, and you would suddenly say that he's the next Jordan and the Spurs need to draft him.
    Not everything revolves around your stupid ass. I find gratification when I help other posters get an idea of how a player plays for them because they don't have time. If I were giving them dishonest takes because of my hatred towards you, that would make it pointless. I don't spend hours of my time plotting against you. Again, off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not everything revolves around your stupid ass. I find gratification when I help other posters get an idea of how a player plays for them because they don't have time. If I were giving them dishonest takes because of my hatred towards you, that would make it pointless. I don't spend hours of my time plotting against you. Again, off.
    You certainly seemed to believe it did for a while there, untill other posters started calling you out on your weird fixation, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You certainly seemed to believe it did for a while there, untill other posters started calling you out on your weird fixation, tbh.
    Alright, you done being off the subject?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright, you done being off the subject?
    I don't know, you tell me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know, you tell me.
    Who's fixated on who here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who's fixated on who here?
    You, on me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your correct his defense could be better but he is 18 years old overall I look at a players foot speed his lateral moment and his willingness to get rebounds/effort for defense view point he has all that. The question will be he a a great defender probably not but he can be a good defender with the right coaching.

For the record I don’t have a clear favorite other then Deni but out of the next crop of Precious, Bey, Williams, and Nesmith, I think Poku has more upside. Would I be upset that he is not selected nope, I think the other kids all add something to the team and can be solid additions.

I do have a weird feeling that the Spurs are going to select someone we are not even talking about this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said, I do believe people are way underrating how much worse his compe ion is than the NBA and how many generalist skills NBA players have. A lot of them can go coast to coast and finish if they aren't being guarded by NBA players. A lot of bigs can cross lesser players over and hit step-backs. When the compe ion is at its highest, only the very best skills are going to come through. That's why someone like Danny Green stopped having a floor game. When he was a call-up guy on the Spurs, he played completely differently, showing off a lot more dribbling and long-twos. Then he joined the club full time and just became three-and-D because the rest of his game wasn't at an NBA level. As I said, that's basically what Metu's going through right now, where the diversity of his game isn't good enough to work in the NBA, but it looks find against scrubs. The issue with Chim is that he doesn't actually have anything that's NBA level to fall back on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your correct his defense could be better but he is 18 years old overall I look at a players foot speed his lateral moment and his willingness to get rebounds/effort for defense view point he has all that. The question will be he a a great defender probably not but he can be a good defender with the right coaching.

For the record I don’t have a clear favorite other then Deni but out of the next crop of Precious, Bey, Williams, and Nesmith, I think Poku has more upside. Would I be upset that he is not selected nope, I think the other kids all add something to the team and can be solid additions.

I do have a weird feeling that the Spurs are going to select someone we are not even talking about this year.
    I think he would be a Bertans type defender on the NBA, with better rim protection and disrupting power. He could get torched if he gets targeted one on one but, at the end of the day, his rim protection and knack for getting his hands on many of the opponents possessions will level him out to be an underrated, (slightly?) above average defender.
    Last edited by DAF86; 08-25-2020 at 09:20 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said, I do believe people are way underrating how much worse his compe ion is than the NBA and how many generalist skills NBA players have. A lot of them can go coast to coast and finish if they aren't being guarded by NBA players. A lot of bigs can cross lesser players over and hit step-backs. When the compe ion is at its highest, only the very best skills are going to come through. That's why someone like Danny Green stopped having a floor game. When he was a call-up guy on the Spurs, he played completely differently, showing off a lot more dribbling and long-twos. Then he joined the club full time and just became three-and-D because the rest of his game wasn't at an NBA level. As I said, that's basically what Metu's going through right now, where the diversity of his game isn't good enough to work in the NBA, but it looks find against scrubs. The issue with Chim is that he doesn't actually have anything that's NBA level to fall back on.
    The NCAA level is pretty ty too, but I don't see anybody doing the kind of stuff Pokusevski does. A kid being able to translate his game to the highest level will always be the biggest question mark. If this wasn't an issue there would be no draft busts ever in the history of the sport.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NCAA level is pretty ty too, but I don't see anybody doing the kind of stuff Pokusevski does. A kid being able to translate his game to the highest level will always be the biggest question mark. If this wasn't an issue there would be no draft busts ever in the history of the sport.
    It's not as ty, and you will see players showing off floor games who don't have a chance of pulling them off in the pros, like with Paul Reed. And there's definitely an issue with how a coach lets a player operate. College coaches don't get paid to develop players; they get paid to win. So they aren't always going to let guys do whatever they want to on the floor. Lower-level Euro coaches are probably tasked specifically to develop guys, like NBA d-league coaches, so there are probably certain guys that they let explore their skills. That's why the Spurs' send-downs always play like superstars by the end of the year. Yes, they're more talented, but they're also given the focal spot of the team's offense to let coaches evaluate their potential at multiple things. I'd definitely argue the b-team Poke's playing on isn't close to d-league level, even though there are likely a lot D-1 college teams that are worse.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's my point since the beginning, the level of the Greek division 2 is really low. That's not against poku but it's difficult to evaluate the guy.

Imo is ceilling is really large, I'm not sure he will Be a superstar or a bust.

I could be wrong but I want a more ready guy in this draft.
    Last edited by duncan2150; 08-25-2020 at 09:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Watching this full game now

If you want an example of how laughably bad this league is, check out the play at 26:24 (doesn't involve Poku)

And another dumbass play at 34:37

Honestly, these games feel like high school games than they are professional games
    Last edited by Dejounte; 08-25-2020 at 09:44 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not as ty, and you will see players showing off floor games who don't have a chance of pulling them off in the pros, like with Paul Reed.
    Arguable, tbh. Pokusevski at least played vs grown ass men in his league. NCAA is very overrated by US NBA fans, that's why a prodigy like Luka, that dominated the second highest level of basketball as a teenager, wasn't the the consensous number pick two years ago. He should have been almost as clear as Lebron as a number one pick, tbh.

And there's definitely an issue with how a coach lets a player operate. College coaches don't get paid to develop players; they get paid to win. So they aren't always going to let guys do whatever they want to on the floor. Lower-level Euro coaches are probably tasked specifically to develop guys, like NBA d-league coaches, so there are probably certain guys that they let explore their skills. That's why the Spurs' send-downs always play like superstars by the end of the year. Yes, they're more talented, but they're also given the focal spot of the team's offense to let coaches evaluate their potential at multiple things.
    Why would professional teams, with professional grown ass men, which salaries depend on the amount of winning they do in a season, would be more willing to favour the development of a young kid over the success of the entire team, than a college team, which its mean focus should be exactly that: the development of young players?

I'd definitely argue the b-team Poke's playing on isn't close to d-league level, even though there are likely a lot D-1 college teams that are worse.
    Unverifiable. You are underestimating the savy and experience of a veteran team playing against a bunch of young kids. Most NCAA teams are composed, on their majority, by kids that will never see a day on an NBA court, tbh.

Thread Information