Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She's a real champion of the people.
    She got the next pandemic relief bill passed months before your incompetent corrupt POS party passed anything in the Senate.

Don't pretend your cult leader gives a either. You know he doesn't

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all i said was the truth, taking FEMA dollars in hurricane season is like firing a pandemic team, it only bites you in the ass when it turns out we needed it.
    Hurricane discussion

Orangeman bad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a reminder the hurricane FEMA money got allocated to unemployment thanks to trump
    Well, now Trump will be able to stop ignoring the pandemic disaster by golfing and shift his energies to ignoring the hurricane disaster by golfing. Probably a welcome change of pace for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She got the next pandemic relief bill passed months before your incompetent corrupt POS party passed anything in the Senate.

Don't pretend your cult leader gives a either. You know he doesn't
    You built your excuse for not helping the hurricane victims again yet? Maybe you can create a lengthy math laced post showing the recovery stats and that will be your contribution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a reminder the hurricane FEMA money got allocated to unemployment thanks to trump
    Hurricane in the gulf!

Orangeman bad
    Hurr dee durr orangeman bad... durr!!!

Put the strawman down and address the shifting of disaster relief funds.

or ... keep ankle biting. We all know that is pretty much all you are capable of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RG's predictions really move him. Every year for the past 30 years (or close) during opening of dove season, there's a hurricane along the gulf or somewhere along the US coast. It will become more frequent, and multi-twisters with sharknados will be everywhere... OH NO!
    hurr dee durr Random man bad durr.

If you can stop drooling on yourself long enough to read:

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk...dly-hurricanes

How warm oceans supercharge deadly hurricanes
    It's challenging to link any one storm to climate change, but warming trends have scientists concerned.

The same perennially warm waters that attract tourists to the Bahamas also helped sustain one of the most destructive storms ever seen in the region.

For more than a day Hurricane Dorian stalled over the Bahamas, where it unloaded 185 mile-per-hour winds at its peak, dumped intense rainfall, and inundated homes with storm surge.

What was a Category 3 storm on Friday quickly intensified into a Category 5 by Sunday. As it passed through the Bahamas on Monday evening, the same atmospheric system steering the storm toward Florida was interrupted, essentially leaving the storm without winds to propel it forward.

The rapid growth was fueled by what NASA described as “storm-fueling waters” around southern Florida and the Bahamas.

A supercell thunderstorm strikes in South Dakota. Among the most severe storms, supercells can bring strong ...

It was essentially “really bad luck,” says Philip Klotzbach, a meteorologist at Colorado State University. “You happen to have an unusual steering pattern at the same time as a major hurricane.”

The climate change connection
    Disastrous and record-breaking storms often generate debate about how much climate change may have played a role.

Both Klotzbach and University of Miami meteorologist Brian McNoldy say linking any one storm to massive global change is challenging, and so is linking Hurricane Dorian to climate change.

Scientists instead look at patterns to assess how storms are changing over time.

The fourth National Climate Assessment predicted hurricanes could become more intense and destructive as the climate warms. Some studies suggest a warming atmosphere could make for slower winds, and research is increasingly showing that warmer conditions make hurricanes slower and wetter.

To understand why, it’s important to understand the link between warm water conditions and hurricanes.

Hotter and stronger
    When a storm stalls over land as with Hurricane Harvey in Houston in 2017 and Hurricane Florence in the Carolinas in 2018, it typically weakens quickly because it no longer has warm water to fuel it.

“That area over the Bahamas just cooks this time of year,” McNoldy says. “Hurricanes love it.”

He explains that both the temperature at the surface of the ocean and the depth of the warm water contribute to how strong a hurricane becomes.

“How strong a hurricane can get depends on warm it is,” says McNoldy.

A hurricane begins as a cluster of thunderstorms over the ocean. Many begin off the west coast of Africa when a westbound jet stream called the African Easterly Jet blows across the eastern Atlantic. Seasonal temperature changes alter the jet stream’s la ude, which leads to low-pressure winds that move through the air as waves.

The winds whip over the ocean, forcing water to evaporate and rise into the atmosphere where it cools, condenses, and forms storm clouds. An estimated 85 percent of major Atlantic hurricanes are born off the African coast.

When those storms are exposed to enough warm water and westbound winds, they can form what’s called a tropical depression, in which an area of drier, cooler air rushes to fill the void left by rapidly rising warm air.

In the Northern Hemisphere, storms spin counter-clockwise because of the Coriolis effect, a term that refers to how objects move across our rotating Earth.

Over warm water, the fueling tropical depression will suck up more warm, moist water vapour like a straw, making the system stronger and condensing the dry, low-pressure into the centre. This is when a tropical storm forms. As the storm continues sucking up water vapour, it pushes more wind to the outer edges of the storm system, causing the wind to wick up more moisture and creating a feedback loop. If sustained, the low-pressure centre in a tropical storm will form the eye of a hurricane.

According to NASA, ocean surface temperature must be about 26 degrees Centigrade for a hurricane to form, and a tropical depression is only upgraded to a hurricane when it reaches 74 mile-per-hour winds.

As we saw with Dorian in the Bahamas, heat will influence how tightly the hurricane itself spins, but it’s atmospheric winds that decide how quickly a hurricane will be pushed through the ocean. Warmer storms are also capable of dumping more rain because warm temperatures carry more water vapour.

Some of the strongest storms to hit the East Coast originate off Africa’s West Coast and travel across the Atlantic. If the storm encounters a patch of cold ocean water, the natural formation of the hurricane can slow and falter until the storm dissipates.

Like adding more fuel to a fire, warm water (whether heated by regular summer temperatures or greenhouse gases) make hurricanes stronger.

The Red Cross estimates that as many as 13,000 Bahamian homes have been destroyed or damaged in some way by Dorian, and storm surges ranging from 18 to 23 feet have flooded drinking wells, meaning residents will struggle to access fresh drinking water now that the storm has moved north.

Forecasters are now watching again to see how warm ocean water and wind conditions will fuel Dorian as the hurricane moves beyond the Bahamas and up the U.S. East Coast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You built your excuse for not helping the hurricane victims again yet? Maybe you can create a lengthy math laced post showing the recovery stats and that will be your contribution.
    The old "why aren't you solving all murders if you think murders are bad" bit.

smh

You really are an idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the future, just take the predicted storm surge and divide by 2 or 3. happens every time. No wonder some people ignore the warnings.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s now a cat 5

gulf coast = fcked
    Never was a cat 5. 150mph max winds

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hurr dee durr orangeman bad... durr!!!

Put the strawman down and address the shifting of disaster relief funds.

or ... keep ankle biting. We all know that is pretty much all you are capable of.
    Start a new thread (Pretty sure you have 3 or 4 you're already working on anyhow).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The old "why aren't you solving all murders if you think murders are bad" bit.

smh

You really are an idiot.
    Except you cannot solve all murders but you could help a hurricane victim if your beer money wasn't threatened. I mean, if you actually could solve murders and weren't doing it, and instead were ing about all the unsolved murders online, yeah I'd see the analogy then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hurr dee durr Random man bad durr.

If you can stop drooling on yourself long enough to read:

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk...dly-hurricanes

How warm oceans supercharge deadly hurricanes
    It's challenging to link any one storm to climate change, but warming trends have scientists concerned.

The same perennially warm waters that attract tourists to the Bahamas also helped sustain one of the most destructive storms ever seen in the region.

For more than a day Hurricane Dorian stalled over the Bahamas, where it unloaded 185 mile-per-hour winds at its peak, dumped intense rainfall, and inundated homes with storm surge.

What was a Category 3 storm on Friday quickly intensified into a Category 5 by Sunday. As it passed through the Bahamas on Monday evening, the same atmospheric system steering the storm toward Florida was interrupted, essentially leaving the storm without winds to propel it forward.

The rapid growth was fueled by what NASA described as “storm-fueling waters” around southern Florida and the Bahamas.

A supercell thunderstorm strikes in South Dakota. Among the most severe storms, supercells can bring strong ...

It was essentially “really bad luck,” says Philip Klotzbach, a meteorologist at Colorado State University. “You happen to have an unusual steering pattern at the same time as a major hurricane.”

The climate change connection
    Disastrous and record-breaking storms often generate debate about how much climate change may have played a role.

Both Klotzbach and University of Miami meteorologist Brian McNoldy say linking any one storm to massive global change is challenging, and so is linking Hurricane Dorian to climate change.

Scientists instead look at patterns to assess how storms are changing over time.

The fourth National Climate Assessment predicted hurricanes could become more intense and destructive as the climate warms. Some studies suggest a warming atmosphere could make for slower winds, and research is increasingly showing that warmer conditions make hurricanes slower and wetter.

To understand why, it’s important to understand the link between warm water conditions and hurricanes.

Hotter and stronger
    When a storm stalls over land as with Hurricane Harvey in Houston in 2017 and Hurricane Florence in the Carolinas in 2018, it typically weakens quickly because it no longer has warm water to fuel it.

“That area over the Bahamas just cooks this time of year,” McNoldy says. “Hurricanes love it.”

He explains that both the temperature at the surface of the ocean and the depth of the warm water contribute to how strong a hurricane becomes.

“How strong a hurricane can get depends on warm it is,” says McNoldy.

A hurricane begins as a cluster of thunderstorms over the ocean. Many begin off the west coast of Africa when a westbound jet stream called the African Easterly Jet blows across the eastern Atlantic. Seasonal temperature changes alter the jet stream’s la ude, which leads to low-pressure winds that move through the air as waves.

The winds whip over the ocean, forcing water to evaporate and rise into the atmosphere where it cools, condenses, and forms storm clouds. An estimated 85 percent of major Atlantic hurricanes are born off the African coast.

When those storms are exposed to enough warm water and westbound winds, they can form what’s called a tropical depression, in which an area of drier, cooler air rushes to fill the void left by rapidly rising warm air.

In the Northern Hemisphere, storms spin counter-clockwise because of the Coriolis effect, a term that refers to how objects move across our rotating Earth.

Over warm water, the fueling tropical depression will suck up more warm, moist water vapour like a straw, making the system stronger and condensing the dry, low-pressure into the centre. This is when a tropical storm forms. As the storm continues sucking up water vapour, it pushes more wind to the outer edges of the storm system, causing the wind to wick up more moisture and creating a feedback loop. If sustained, the low-pressure centre in a tropical storm will form the eye of a hurricane.

According to NASA, ocean surface temperature must be about 26 degrees Centigrade for a hurricane to form, and a tropical depression is only upgraded to a hurricane when it reaches 74 mile-per-hour winds.

As we saw with Dorian in the Bahamas, heat will influence how tightly the hurricane itself spins, but it’s atmospheric winds that decide how quickly a hurricane will be pushed through the ocean. Warmer storms are also capable of dumping more rain because warm temperatures carry more water vapour.

Some of the strongest storms to hit the East Coast originate off Africa’s West Coast and travel across the Atlantic. If the storm encounters a patch of cold ocean water, the natural formation of the hurricane can slow and falter until the storm dissipates.

Like adding more fuel to a fire, warm water (whether heated by regular summer temperatures or greenhouse gases) make hurricanes stronger.

The Red Cross estimates that as many as 13,000 Bahamian homes have been destroyed or damaged in some way by Dorian, and storm surges ranging from 18 to 23 feet have flooded drinking wells, meaning residents will struggle to access fresh drinking water now that the storm has moved north.

Forecasters are now watching again to see how warm ocean water and wind conditions will fuel Dorian as the hurricane moves beyond the Bahamas and up the U.S. East Coast.
    tl;dr

Your predictions of impending doom are hilarious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except you cannot solve all murders but you could help a hurricane victim if your beer money wasn't threatened. I mean, if you actually could solve murders and weren't doing it, and instead were ing about all the unsolved murders online, yeah I'd see the analogy then.
    Ah the old "why aren't you helping all the hurricaine vicitims if you think any of them need help" bit.

smh

You really are an idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tl;dr

Your predictions of impending doom are hilarious.
    Poor lazy DMC.

It says:

Warmer waters add more energy to hurricanes. Human activity is making oceans warmer.

I know this is hard for you. I can use smaller words here. sorry I couldn't get it monosyllabic, you'll just have to struggle on.

Big water warm, make wind big. we burn fuel, make water warm.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the future, just take the predicted storm surge and divide by 2 or 3. happens every time. No wonder some people ignore the warnings.
    So downplay the next one so people will die.
    And then they will listen; next time?

happens every time. People ignore low water crossings and put first responders in danger by having to remove their asses. Or they stay when urged to move, and then gotta be plucked off the roof by some first responders joyfully testing their piloting skills... "say, can you tell if the power line is up or down? hard to see with all this water blowing around. I guess we just send the boats, hope the water is falling now."

Its sad we have gotten particularly good at predicting the path?
    We are not as good with the rainfall and surge in a particular area.
    You should know this having kayaked at the coast and learning how different conditions can be in certain channels when wind driven currents face tidal movement in predicting which part of the water column will do what. And then make the wind change direction quickly. The orientation of the channel can mean a whole lot. Some areas get flooded, others become mud and sand. It's very difficult.
    Last edited by pgardn; 08-27-2020 at 05:36 PM.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having said the above, the people they put on the ground to ham it up is embarrassing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any survivors?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess I was right after all. But I did backtrack so I didnt call it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP #cam8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The fatalities included a 24-year-old male that died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator inside his residence"

Darwin got another one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The fatalities included a 24-year-old male that died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator inside his residence"

Darwin got another one
    Darrin tap dancing on graves

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah the old "why aren't you helping all the hurricaine vicitims if you think any of them need help" bit.

smh

You really are an idiot.
    Ah the old "if I cannot help them all, then I cannot help any of them so I'll continue to run my mouth about it instead, thoughts and prayers etc.." line

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor lazy DMC.

It says:

Warmer waters add more energy to hurricanes. Human activity is making oceans warmer.

I know this is hard for you. I can use smaller words here. sorry I couldn't get it monosyllabic, you'll just have to struggle on.

Big water warm, make wind big. we burn fuel, make water warm.
    You bend over, I show make wind big

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah the old "if I cannot help them all, then I cannot help any of them so I'll continue to run my mouth about it instead, thoughts and prayers etc.." line
    You try sooooo hard.

Just understand your smack based on some dimly recalled distorted conversation from years ago amuses me. Nothing else.

Well that and it makes me pity you a little more.

Thread Information