View Poll Results: Who is your favorite prospect so far?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Patrick Williams

19 20.21%
  • Precious Achiuwa

23 24.47%
  • Saddiq Bey

4 4.26%
  • Tyler Bey

1 1.06%
  • Aleksej Pokusevekski

18 19.15%
  • Isaiah Stewart

2 2.13%
  • Jalen Smith

12 12.77%
  • Aaron Nesmith

15 15.96%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we still had Timmy, Tony, and Manu I would be Happy to get Nesmith but we’re close to a rebuild I would rather have a player with more upside and a SF who is an above average defender.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    He's much more than just a spot up shooter. He navigates screens like McCollum and has a variety of moves when scoring from inside the arc. He's a threat from anywhere and can be a legit scorer.
    I'm doubtful about him but I'm slowly coming around, assuming he's healthy. Spurs could use a volume shooter(and I'm not talking about Bryn). Every good team seems to have one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just read a comment in another thread that Saddiq Bey is "just" a tall Wes Matthews. I think a lot of people have this idea that the Spurs are going to get the next Giannis with the 11th pick in a weak draft. That's fine if it happens. But remember that Milwaukee went 15-67 the year after they drafted Giannis, and got the #2 pick in the next draft. Then they went 41-41 the next year. I would love to see the Spurs commit to that kind of rebuild, but I don't think most of you would.

Pokusevski has skills, but not the mad physical skills Giannis had. He doesn't have THAT kind of upside, and there's no way he's going to show before about Year 3. I'd take a "tall Wes Matthews" right now, and the #2 pick next draft, and never look back. Especially if the Tall Wes Matthews can drain 3's the way Bey can.
    That reasoning doesn't make sense. The only way a low ceiling player like Bey makes sense is if you feel like you have a good enough team to compete (to make the POs at least) and need just a few more pieces. In that sense, adding a guy like Bey works. But if you think next season we are getting the second pick (meaning we are going to suck and/or go into rebuilding mode) then what's the point in getting a low ceiling guy? Go for the home run and pick the high upside player.
    Last edited by DAF86; 09-03-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Poku looks like he's going to be injury prone. He seems to have the same type of frame that guys like Porzingis and AK47 had. Yeah, both of those guys are/were good players but they also missed lots of games every season and never won anything for the teams that drafted them.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That reasoning doesn't make sense. The only way a low ceiling player like Bey makes sense is if you feel like you have a good enough team to compete (to make the POs at least) and need just a few more pieces. In that sense, adding a guy like Bey works. But if you think next season we are getting the second pick (meaning we are going to suck and/or go into rebuilding mode) then what's the point in getting a low ceiling guy? Go for the home run and pick the high upside player.

I know it doesn't make sense... to you. Dr. Suess doesn't make sense to you. And you obviously didn't watch Nova play last year.

The Spurs chose their high upside guy last draft, and passed on Matisse Thybulle and Brandon Clarke, just to name two. Not to mention that last years's draft was full of obvious NBA-caliber players at 11. Bey shot 45% from 3P last year. If he's anywhere close in the NBA, that's instant upside, especially from a guy who is a legit 6'8" and can get his shot off consistently. Echhh... nevermind. None of this will make sense to you.

You want to gamble? Empty your bank account. Go to Vegas. Put all your money on double-zero. Come back and tell me if you got rich.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know it doesn't make sense... to you. Dr. Suess doesn't make sense to you. And you obviously didn't watch Nova play last year.

The Spurs chose their high upside guy last draft, and passed on Matisse Thybulle and Brandon Clarke, just to name two. Not to mention that last years's draft was full of obvious NBA-caliber players at 11. Bey shot 45% from 3P last year. If he's anywhere close in the NBA, that's instant upside, especially from a guy who is a legit 6'8" and can get his shot off consistently. Echhh... nevermind. None of this will make sense to you.

You want to gamble? Empty your bank account. Go to Vegas. Put all your money on double-zero. Come back and tell me if you got rich.
    Agree with the bolded part more than anything, since I don't really like Bey, but have a similar line of thinking. Taking two high-bust-potential picks in consecutive drafts is not good to me, even if you're trying to "swing for the fences". Besides, I'm not convinced Poku (I assume we're talking about him) has a higher ceiling than other prospects in this draft, nor is more likely to reach his ceiling than other prospects. All of the big men the Spurs are reportedly scouting are better picks for their value and probability to translate, to me, than Poku. Hopefully another team makes a reach for him before us and rids the Spurs of having to make that call...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is the draft TO gamble. , there isn’t even a consensus #1 pick. With picks outside of the top of the draft, you gamble every year until you hit. Playing it safe and scurred is a recipe for failure. Worst case is none of them pan out, and you get some actual good picks with better chances for success in coming drafts. Middle case is one of them pans out, and you’re a multi round playoff team. Best case is a couple of them pan out, and you basically skip rebuilding to become a contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with the bolded part more than anything, since I don't really like Bey, but have a similar line of thinking. Taking two high-bust-potential picks in consecutive drafts is not good to me, even if you're trying to "swing for the fences". Besides, I'm not convinced Poku (I assume we're talking about him) has a higher ceiling than other prospects in this draft, nor is more likely to reach his ceiling than other prospects. All of the big men the Spurs are reportedly scouting are better picks for their value and probability to translate, to me, than Poku. Hopefully another team makes a reach for him before us and rids the Spurs of having to make that call...

Bey isn't the only guy I like. Not even close. He's one of the ones I think might be available at 11, and he fills some needs. If Tyrese Halliburton is there, I'd pull that trigger in a heartbeat. There are 5-6 guys that will almost certainly be off the board before the Spurs pick (unless one of them has a hidden health issue, or makes a Trump commercial.) I don't want them to pick another 6'5" guy unless he's a PG. I don't want another tweener who's too short for one position, and too slow for the other. And I'm sick of reading about guys who could make an NBA squad, if they only learn how to shoot. Those things really narrow the field.

Back in 2011, people were slobbering all over Bismack Biyombo, because of his "crazy upside". And SpursTalk was crying for the Spurs to trade away assets to move up and get him. The good news is that Detroit bought into the Biyombo story, and drafted him with the 8 pick, which pushed guys like Kawhi and Klay, and Kemba further down the board. I will be more than happy if someone drafts Pokusevski before the Spurs get a chance to "steal" him, and it pushes someone else down to the Spurs' slot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, I think it would serve people well to make a distinction between a guy's realistic ceiling and his ideal ceiling. I know that sounds almost oxymoronic, but I feel like people are looking at guys like Poke and Precious in terms of what they could possibly develop into rather than what they can be expected to develop into. In terms of realistic ceilings, I don't see either of those guys being above Nesmith or regular Smith. That does not mean those two players are low-ceiling guys. They have marketable NBA skills and obvious paths to improvement. For reasons I've already talked about a ton, I don't see the same clear paths for the other players. If the Spurs somehow drafted both Smith and 'smith in this draft, I would feel good about projecting them as a team that would compete for HCA within three years. They'd still be missing a superstar, but they'd preserve cap space for sign one and have Walker, Murray, Sam and future picks to add to salary to try to trade for one.

Drafting say the next Khris Middleton or Josh Richardson is really valuable, even to a non-contender. The vague chance that someone hits a crazy development curve and becomes a star doesn't have infinite value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scenario: The Spurs are on the clock at 11, and everyone on this list is magically still available. Dallas calls and offers 18, 31 and a 2022 second for 11 so they can take Poke. Would you agree to the swap?

Obviously, if you think Poke is a star in the making and the best player on the board, you don't. Or if you think some Player X is going to be a star and don't think they'll be around at 18 you don't. But does Dallas thinking Poke will be star influence your choice? Are you worried about trading them another Dirk?

I feel like the answer is no, but it depends. Personally, getting an offensive wing and a defensive forward using 18, 31 and 41 would be a big accomplishment to compliment the "young core" while not needing to trade away DeRozan or Aldridge. But if Poke's anything like a star, that might lock down the division for the next seven to 10 years. I'd still do it, but I'd much rather Boston be the team asking to move up for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, I think it would serve people well to make a distinction between a guy's realistic ceiling and his ideal ceiling. I know that sounds almost oxymoronic, but I feel like people are looking at guys like Poke and Precious in terms of what they could possibly develop into rather than what they can be expected to develop into. In terms of realistic ceilings, I don't see either of those guys being above Nesmith or regular Smith. That does not mean those two players are low-ceiling guys. They have marketable NBA skills and obvious paths to improvement. For reasons I've already talked about a ton, I don't see the same clear paths for the other players. If the Spurs somehow drafted both Smith and 'smith in this draft, I would feel good about projecting them as a team that would compete for HCA within three years. They'd still be missing a superstar, but they'd preserve cap space for sign one and have Walker, Murray, Sam and future picks to add to salary to try to trade for one.

Drafting say the next Khris Middleton or Josh Richardson is really valuable, even to a non-contender. The vague chance that someone hits a crazy development curve and becomes a star doesn't have infinite value.
    I agree with you but not about precious.

Yes you take poku for what He could be but not precious. You take achiuwa for what He is now , a 4/5 who give you rebounds/blocks/some threat in transition/defense/switchability and offcourse with some ideas of improvement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree with everything you wrote, regarding Poku, but not Achiuwa (and not simply because I like him as a prospect). Unlike Poku, I see him having a number of translatable or NBA-ready skills (rebounding, rim-protection, defense especially in the paint and potentially on the perimeter, face-up game), and of course some that he might come to develop in time (I don't see his shooting as being "ideal ceiling" material but we can agree to disagree there). Definitely feel like Poku fits your comparison much better.

Also, who's the better prospect in your opinion, between Smith and Stewart? I haven't seen too much of Smith, neither video nor talks around here. Why are you so high on him? Legit curious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes you take poku for what He could be but not precious. You take achiuwa for what He is now , a 4/5 who give you rebounds/blocks/some threat in transition/defense/switchability and offcourse with some ideas of improvement.
    Beat me to it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're welcome

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Heh. Nesmith and regular Smith.

You want Nesmith out there as a floor spacer, and that's not a bad thing at all. He's active as off the ball - made me think of Rip Hamilton a bit. He'd probably have to stay lean to keep that up, but he would help bend a defense with that kind of activity, as well as his shooting. Smith isn't super-quick, but I think he's one of those guys who will put on another 20 lbs. of muscle and still be just as quick as he is now. I just read a report earlier that said he wouldn't get much bigger (based on his skinny legs or something), but I disagree.

I don't think the Spurs would be able to get them both unless they pick up something earlier than #41, and I'm not super-excited about Nesmith at 11. But if you're looking to build a solid core those two would be a step in the right direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta give credit for the subtle trashtalk and high annoyance aspect of Chinook's insistence on calling him "Poke" when Pokusevski himself says his nickname is "Poku" and that's what every teammate, coach, and scout calls him. Well done.

https://www.instagram.com/poku_20/?hl=en

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta give credit for the subtle trashtalk and high annoyance aspect of Chinook's insistence on calling him "Poke" when Pokusevski himself says his nickname is "Poku" and that's what every teammate,coach, and scout calls him.

https://www.instagram.com/poku_20/?hl=en
    Sheesh, first post on Poku's IG is a Kobe tribute video. Now I really don't like him as a prospect

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with everything you wrote, regarding Poku, but not Achiuwa (and not simply because I like him as a prospect). Unlike Poku, I see him having a number of translatable or NBA-ready skills (rebounding, rim-protection, defense especially in the paint and potentially on the perimeter, face-up game), and of course some that he might come to develop in time (I don't see his shooting as being "ideal ceiling" material but we can agree to disagree there). Definitely feel like Poku fits your comparison much better.

Also, who's the better prospect in your opinion, between Smith and Stewart? I haven't seen too much of Smith, neither video nor talks around here. Why are you so high on him? Legit curious.
    About your last questions

Stewart is stronger but smith is taller, more agile and he can shoot pretty well. Smith will Be better defending the perimeter.

That's why he is a better prospect imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheesh, first post on Poku's IG is a Kobe tribute video. Now I really don't like him as a prospect
    You mean Black Mambo?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I haven't scouted any players enough to really like guys to dislike them. And I don't think Poke and Precious are in the same boat, but I also would not be really happy with drafting an undersized center at 11. His real value would come from him playing as a perimeter player, and I don't see him as having those skills -- on either end. As I've mentioned, I don't think he's anything but a big. He's switchable, but he does't seem able to cross-guard. Maybe he could guard James, but I wouldn't want to put him on Leonard up and down the court. I also really don't like his offensive game for his size. I don't think Poeltl is a definite keeper, but it's not a good sign if Precious can't play next to him. You want your PF to have a perimeter game, not just the ability to hit the three.

When talking about defensive forwards in this draft, Paul Reed is my clear number 1. I'm not saying I can't see a world where Achiuwa isn't the best player in a couple of years, but my relatively uninformed board has Precious as someone I'd be okay getting in a trade down rather than as the main target at 11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or is it Black Bambi?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Did you watch him play last year?

I'm not going to get into an argument with true believers. But if the Spurs do happen to take him at 11 (I don't think so, but if), I'm going to make a prediction. Get ready to see a guy who gets the ball near the basket in half court sets, and then fails to finish. A lot.

He's got the size and athleticism to develop, but I think he'd be better in a wide-open offense. Put him on the floor with Zion, for instance, and he'll feast.

[Edit: I should probably clear that up. He's raw. And he's going to look really raw against NBA compe ion, with NBA skills. That's what I saw, anyway. If he's got the drive to work and develop those same skills, his motor and athleticism could let him be a good player. But "right now"? I think he'll be frustrating as to watch.]
    Last edited by ZeusWillJudge; 09-03-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you watch him play last year?

I'm not going to get into an argument with true believers. But if the Spurs do happen to take him at 11 (I don't think so, but if), I'm going to make a prediction. Get ready to see a guy who gets the ball near the basket in half court sets, and then fails to finish. A lot.

He's got the size and athleticism to develop, but I think he'd be better in a wide-open offense. Put him on the floor with Zion, for instance, and he'll feast.
    I will not talk about him if i did not saw him.

I agree and as you, I talked about transition wich could be one of his strenght. I talked only about D because I think that's where he could be really good.

On offense he is good at pnr, can finish with his athletism but he needs some work.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't scouted any players enough to really like guys to dislike them. And I don't think Poke and Precious are in the same boat, but I also would not be really happy with drafting an undersized center at 11. His real value would come from him playing as a perimeter player, and I don't see him as having those skills -- on either end. As I've mentioned, I don't think he's anything but a big. He's switchable, but he does't seem able to cross-guard. Maybe he could guard James, but I wouldn't want to put him on Leonard up and down the court. I also really don't like his offensive game for his size. I don't think Poeltl is a definite keeper, but it's not a good sign if Precious can't play next to him. You want your PF to have a perimeter game, not just the ability to hit the three.

When talking about defensive forwards in this draft, Paul Reed is my clear number 1. I'm not saying I can't see a world where Achiuwa isn't the best player in a couple of years, but my relatively uninformed board has Precious as someone I'd be okay getting in a trade down rather than as the main target at 11.
    I totally understand that's why I may prefer Smith.
    Precious is a PF not an undersized center, he can play some 5 but that's not his position. And you're right he could not play with poetl, with LA but not Jakob.
    Offensively we agree but on defense he is better than you think imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wow, I'm offended. I have pages and pages of info on Smith in the other thread. He's a beast.

Thread Information