Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamarcus, Nurkic, and melo won’t work. Portland won’t do that.

Miami would have to send us Iguodala and one of their shooters.

If we have to take salary back after next year I would not do it.
    Nurkic would obviously have to be part of the return.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA cap space is the most overrated "asset" in the history of organized sports.
    I don’t think they have capspace, but admittedly have checked their cap sheet in a year or so.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Heat aren't dumb enough to pair Butler with DeRozan. With the former's recent aversion to shooting 3s and Adebayo's inability to shoot them, the fit would be terrible.

This has been discussed before, but 23 and Olynyk for Aldridge is probably the only realistic trade between the two teams. I doubt the Spurs would do it though.

If the Trail Blazers would do 16 plus requisite salary filler (Ariza, Hood, Hezonja, with Metu and Zeller waived to not exceed roster limit), maybe.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nurkic would obviously have to be part of the return.
    He has another year on his deal. I would only want him if Jakob leaves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA cap space is the most overrated "asset" in the history of organized sports.
    I agree...im just saying that's what i expect the offer to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great find.

Certainly beats debating endlessly whether Patrick Williams or Isaiah Stewart is the real deal . . .
    I despise those pre draft debates. Every year ST does it and the FO goes in a random direction that nobody predicted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Heat aren't dumb enough to pair Butler with DeRozan. With the former's recent aversion to shooting 3s and Adebayo's inability to shoot them, the fit would be terrible.

This has been discussed before, but 23 and Olynyk for Aldridge is probably the only realistic trade between the two teams. I doubt the Spurs would do it though.

If the Trail Blazers would do 16 plus requisite salary filler (Ariza, Hood, Hezonja, with Metu and Zeller waived to not exceed roster limit), maybe.
    Olynyk and a late first for LMA? wtf? Glad you aren't GM or anywhere near the FO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Olynyk and a late first for LMA? wtf? Glad you aren't GM or anywhere near the FO.
    I didn't say I'd necessarily do it, I said . . .

is probably the only realistic trade between the two teams.
    Unfortunately, that's probably roughly Aldridge's value leaguewide.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has another year on his deal. I would only want him if Jakob leaves.
    Only a partial, like 4M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say I'd necessarily do it, I said . . .

Unfortunately, that's probably roughly Aldridge's value leaguewide.
    I think we could get Tobias Harris for LMA, or Kuz, or Lonzo Ball, etc etc

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only a partial, like 4M.
    ok that’s different. I would take him. Does Portland think Aldridge is better than him for a 1 year rental? I guess if Dane dame signs off on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a nice, in-depth piece. It was written by Jabari Young though, so you can take some of the stuff with a grain of salt. I don't really think the Spurs objectively "overplayed their hands" not dealing Aldridge. I think they were willing to deal him and just didn't get what they wanted. I think even more than DeRozan, they are willing to keep him though. Overplaying is possibly what they did with Kawhi, because they HAD to trade him and just mistimed the window to do so. That's completely different and totally a Jabari special.
    Completely agree, it's all in the wording.

Spurs probably put Aldridge's name out there with a high price, and if someone was willing to bite, then great...they would have won the trade.

They weren't trying to move him and take a lesser deal just for the sake of moving him. He was and is still a valuable piece.

That is how you are supposed to negotiate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we could get Tobias Harris for LMA, or Kuz, or Lonzo Ball, etc etc
    Harris has an albatross (4 more years at the max), Kuzma wouldn't work financially, isn't good and the Lakers wouldn't do it (fit/age) and Ball wouldn't work financially, doesn't move the needle and the Pelicans wouldn't do it (fit/age).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs probably put Aldridge's name out there with a high price, and if someone was willing to bite, then great...they would have won the trade.

They weren't trying to move him and take a lesser deal just for the sake of moving him. He was and is still a valuable piece.

Whoever was that rival GM who made that comment was probably a dumbass.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if this late pick can bring u one of jalen smith/tyler bey/steward/vernon/woodard (via tankathon its possible) than its a decent trade. Dont expect too much in return for a 1yr rental of an 35yrs old LMA.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count

In recent years, Spurs are one of the worst teams in the NBA when it comes to trades so there's now a perception that every team is en led to rip them off. Spurs put themselves in this position with the horrific Kawhi and Bertans trades so I'm not surprised other front offices don't respect them anymore.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    why would the heat want demar?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i think it's more likely the heat trade for cp3 and gallo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Miami is going to be a major player this off season.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    god a former facebook person in exec management. wonder how much money spurs are going to flush down that hole

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    god a former facebook person in exec management. wonder how much money spurs are going to flush down that hole

Says a lot about priorities.

And I loved this:
    "But the Spurs could use an upgrade in several areas, including its practice site, the dreadful AT&T Center, which lacks adequate Wifi..."

Seriously? They're making a big deal out of the Wi-Fi? Like they couldn't fix that for a pittance, in the big picture of what they spend? I just about stopped reading right there. Probably should have.

Then later they're talking about a SWOT analysis, only Buford doesn't want to talk about any of the weaknesses. Their strengths are mostly in the past, and they don't want to look at weaknesses. Their opportunities involve an exec from Facebook, and threats are everywhere. And Buford is afraid to let the new "GM" answer a question. Yeah, this group is ed.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It also helps that Aldridge hadn't quit on his team.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then later they're talking about a SWOT analysis, only Buford doesn't want to talk about any of the weaknesses. Their strengths are mostly in the past, and they don't want to look at weaknesses. Their opportunities involve an exec from Facebook, and threats are everywhere. And Buford is afraid to let the new "GM" answer a question. Yeah, this group is ed.
    I wouldn't equate an unwillingness to publicly talk about weaknesses with an unwillingness to do so in private. The Spurs have tried to keep things in-house as much as possible for a long time.

I'm not saying there are no weaknesses. Just that we shouldn't take that interview as an indication that Buford is trying to bury his head in the sand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is nothing wrong with the wifi or anything else at the AT&T Center really. People can about the location, but it has a lot of parking and easy access to the highway. It's a cheap Uber fare from downtown as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bit where RC jumped in so Jake from State Farm clone couldn't even answer a question like a real GM was pretty damn funny.

And RC trying to point to past glories and intangible nonsense as a way to address the roster and the future was just ... sad

And I'm not surprised that the article made no credible attempt to address the shortcomings Pop has had coaching this past year and didn't even bring up Forbes and his situation. it was of a typical Jabari low level of quality.

Thread Information