Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is always lots of talk about what to do with the first round pick, and with the Spurs having their best pick since '95, it's being talked to death. But I am always thinking about the steals in the draft. Not finding another Klay Thompson at #11, but maybe another Danny Green at #46. Or another undrafted Fred Van Vleet.

So let's suppose the Spurs trade one of the youngs and get an early second round pick thrown in. (Say the Sixers' 34 or 36 pick just for laughs.) Who do you think might be lurking on the board that could help raise the Spurs floor? Who do you like with the Spurs 41 pick in the second round? How about guys who might go undrafted?

I'll start with a few:

1. Jordan Nwora. I liked Nwora during the college season. He was looking like a lock for a first round pick, but his stock dropped - I think too far. No matter what, he's still one of a 3P shooter, and he has the skills and height to get the off often enough at the next level. I think he's a better defender than he's gotten credit for. He's not going to drop out of the draft, but it looks like he will probably fall to the early-ish second. I'd take a shot on him at 36 or 41 without question.

2. Grant Riller. The Spurs need a point guard. No matter what anybody says, the Spurs need a point guard. Probably two point guards. If they aren't going to get a top-tier point with the 11 pick, they could still pick up a quality backup with the fantasy 34 pick above. I think that''s Riller. He'll be an offensive machine. And while he's not been a great defender, our benchmark there is Bryn Forbes. I'm convinced he'll go in the early second, maybe not making it down to the Spurs 41 pick, but if he's there I'd have to think about picking him. If a player from Dayton can be projected in the Top 5, there's no reason why a player from Charleston can't be worthy of an early second round pick.

3. Kenyon Martin Jr. Youth, talent, athleticism, and NBA genes. He's listed at 6'6", except when he's listed at 6'7". As young as he is, he could easily have another inch in him. He'll probably be there at 41 because he's such an unknown, but I would take a throw at him if he's still there - especially if they were able to get one of those earlier second-rounders. Or if they could pick up a later second round pick for cash like we've seen numerous times. He could go undrafted. If I were the Spurs I would have a contract ready and his number on speed dial if that happens.

4. Tre Jones. I love Tre Jones with a mid-second round pick. Did I mention that the Spurs need a PG? He's a good two-way player, though at 6'1" he's not going to defend three positions, but I think he'll do a creditable job with 1's and 2's. Some mocks have him going in the late first or early second, but if he's there at 41 he'd make a good addition to the Spurs Halloween bucket. Don't like Jones? Subs ute the name Devon Dotson. And did I mention that the Spurs need a PG - even if it's a backup PG?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paul Reed. TaT has him as #17 on their big board, but #42 in their mock. That’s almost a full draft round of missed value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paul Reed and Xavier Tillman. All day on those two for 41. I'd love to get a late first to snag one of them. They're both gamers who'd fill an obvious need.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there any teams with picks in the 30s that are likely willing to trade their pick? For a while those early 2nds were seen as gold because they didn't have to conform to the rookie draft scale, but I don't know how much that at ude has changed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paul Reed, Reggie Perry, and Robert Woodard (if he falls, I expect him to go late in the first). I do like Tre Jones as a high floor low ceiling guy to work with a second unit as well.

Robert Woodard is the one I want most though. Athletic, good 3pt%, can guard 4 positions and is already physically strong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there any teams with picks in the 30s that are likely willing to trade their pick? For a while those early 2nds were seen as gold because they didn't have to conform to the rookie draft scale, but I don't know how much that at ude has changed.
    Philly has 4 overall second rounders, and two in the 30s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seeing as how this organization runs things like they're always broke as , I won't be surprised if they invest more into their second rounders vs looking for a free agent to overpay. It's good value, especially if you think about the type of player Q is... Spends one year in the G league, then looks ready to contribute for next year and probably will be extended for pennies.

I think they go for another old rookie in the second round. Someone who plays like a vet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guesses: Xavier Tillman, Tyler Bey, Paul Reed, Woodard II, Killian Tillie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seeing as how this organization is broke as , I won't be surprised if they invest more into their second rounders vs looking for a free agent to overpay. It's good value, especially if you think about the type of player Q is... Spends one year in the G league, then looks ready to contribute for next year and probably will be extended for pennies.

I think they go for another old rookie in the second round. Someone who plays like a vet.
    We really need to. No point in signing someone to the MLE. They’ll likely be far older than our core in a year or so. That type of contract should be for a piece to push you deep into the playoffs. We’re not at the point where any player who is on the back side of their career and would take the MLE would give us a significant boost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We really need to. No point in signing someone to the MLE. They’ll likely be far older than our core in a year or so. That type of contract should be for a piece to push you deep into the playoffs. We’re not at the point where any player who is on the back side of their career and would take the MLE would give us a significant boost.
    The problem is this team loves "vets who can mentor young players". If we trade any one or two of: DeMar, Gay, Aldridge, Mills. I can definitely see us signing a washed up player for their "veteran knowledge and professionalism".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abdoulaye N'doye could easily be as good a player as Devin Vassel. Killian Tillie would be a first rounder if hadn't had all the injuries.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks.

Sure sounds like there's a deal to be had, even if it's something like #41 and a future second or cash for #34 and #49.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is this team loves "vets who can mentor young players". If we trade any one or two of: DeMar, Gay, Aldridge, Mills. I can definitely see us signing a washed up player for their "veteran knowledge and professionalism".
    Tyson Chandler to mentor Poeltl and be a veteran presence would be ok with me if we move lma. One year and cheap

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guesses: Xavier Tillman, Tyler Bey, Paul Reed, Woodard II, Killian Tillie
    same here but id add also: vernon, oturu and nwora.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another guy who might be worth a look in the 2d round is Cassius Stanley, a 6'5" shooting guard from Duke.

He's quite a leaper who shot .474, .360 from 3 and .733 from the line. He's great in transition (which may inflate his FG% somewhat) but looks like he also has potential from the outside. He also rebounds and defends pretty well for a player his size.

A leg injury hampered him somewhat his freshman year, but he still made the ACC All-Freshman Team. I'm not sure why he was a 21 year old freshman at Duke but that may be why he might be attainable at 41.

Of course, this doesn't exactly address a need, but if he's the best available. . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Sixers aren't going to keep 4 second round picks. They have 34 and 36, both of which have the possibility of snagging a sleeper that no one decided to give a guaranteed contract. They also have 49 and 58, but those aren't worth much other than tying a guy down who might go elsewhere as an undrafted free agent.

The Pelicans have 39, 43, and 60 and they are going to be shopping around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deep 2nd round or undrafted players

University of Virginia (power forward) Mamadi Diakite
    Height 6'9" Weight 225

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/04/2...outing-report/

Gonzaga University (Center/Power Forward) Killian Tillie
    Height 6'10" Weight 220

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/03/3...outing-report/

Utah State University (shooting guard) Sam Merrill
    Height 6'5" Weight 205

http://www.tankathon.com/players/sam-merrill

Washington State University (Shooting guard/Small Forward) C.J. Elleby
    Height 6'7" Weight 200

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...?f=3&t=1962324

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abdoulaye N'doye could easily be as good a player as Devin Vassel. Killian Tillie would be a first rounder if hadn't had all the injuries.
    I like N'Doye and Tillie a lot also.

bad thing with Tillie is he's had a couple of injuries to his lower extremities already and his quickness isn't awful but not greatly the guy can play the game though.

N'Doye is a pretty versatile overall player. Can do a bunch of things ok but not great. Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another guy who might be worth a look in the 2d round is Cassius Stanley, a 6'5" shooting guard from Duke.

He's quite a leaper who shot .474, .360 from 3 and .733 from the line. He's great in transition (which may inflate his FG% somewhat) but looks like he also has potential from the outside. He also rebounds and defends pretty well for a player his size.

A leg injury hampered him somewhat his freshman year, but he still made the ACC All-Freshman Team. I'm not sure why he was a 21 year old freshman at Duke but that may be why he might be attainable at 41.

Of course, this doesn't exactly address a need, but if he's the best available. . . .
    Another one of my sleepers I didn't name. He is a very interesting player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think second rounders will be bought this year with owners getting tight on the books due to covid?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think second rounders will be bought this year with owners getting tight on the books due to covid?
    I expect there will be some movement, and I think the price will be down. Some owners/franchises will want/need money, others will see an opportunity to buy cheap...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Sixers aren't going to keep 4 second round picks. They have 34 and 36, both of which have the possibility of snagging a sleeper that no one decided to give a guaranteed contract. They also have 49 and 58, but those aren't worth much other than tying a guy down who might go elsewhere as an undrafted free agent.

The Pelicans have 39, 43, and 60 and they are going to be shopping around.
    I know that. Someone just asked about second rounders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know that. Someone just asked about second rounders.

I knew you had it. I was just giving some extra detail. Philly and NO are both likely to toss some second round picks. This is going to be a weird draft season, just because of all the uncertainty over the cap for the next 2-3 seasons.

This probably isn't the draft to luck into a star talent, but it could be a good year to shore up with some future role-players. I just hope they aren't passive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malachi Flynn?

Did anybody watch SD State this year? I didn't see a single game. Just wondering if all this sudden hype about their PG means anything. They put together a good season, and he led them in just about everything except rebounds. Still, he looks like he was pretty much the same player he was his first two years, playing against ty compe ion in the Mountain West.

Just wondering if any of you watched him and saw anything to justify this flurry of mentions?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was looking at Tankathon again to see who had what second-rounders, and I saw that they project the 60th pick to be used on Paul Eboua. Dude's a 6-8 PF with a 7-2 wingspan a good athleticism. He has like no skills though. He uses a push-shot form, which isn't consistent. If the main guys we seem to want in the second are gone, I wouldn't mind using the pick for a flier on a guy with a physical profile to be a good defender. I don't think the production is there right now, and his age is concerning. But he seems like a guy who could easily go under the radar, and his rebounding is already an NBA-caliber skill.

Thread Information