Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if anyone has done a study on the value of the 31st pick in the draft... In financial terms, it's a really great pick to have-- you get a guy who's practically a first rounder, but the financial risk/ salary cap hit is as close to zero as you can get. A guy like Xavier Tillman led the entire NCAA in BPM and DBPM against a tough schedule and might be a productive bench big for years, but could be taken for a two year test drive with almost no financial investment risk. From a purely statistical angle with regard to potential talent and salary cap considerations, I'd think 31 through 35 should coveted much as a mid 20s pick.
    1. First rounders can also be taken for a 2 year test drive, third year is team option
    2. They also hit RFA a year earlier

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. First rounders can also be taken for a 2 year test drive, third year is team option
    2. They also hit RFA a year earlier
    Right, but a first round pick is guaranteed money according to their draft position. A second round pick is almost always much less expensive-- typically four years for about $6mil+ or three years for $4mil+ or below $1mil for a single season... peanuts in terms of an NBA contract. By comparison, Keldon Johnson-- a 29th pick-- is guaranteed $4mil for his first two seasons. Not a huge difference, but a difference.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, but a first round pick is guaranteed money according to their draft position. A second round pick is almost always much less expensive-- typically four years for about $6mil+ or three years for $4mil+ or below $1mil for a single season... peanuts in terms of an NBA contract. By comparison, Keldon Johnson-- a 29th pick-- is guaranteed $4mil for his first two seasons. Not a huge difference, but a difference.
    That is a 1.7 mil difference, Brogdon for example is making 18 mil in his fourth year that's 14 mil difference what he could have made if he was drafted 29th.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obi Toppin's SOS was 3.69 last season.

Yeah, I know... it's one of the things that really gives pause about him. If I was just looking at numbers, I wouldn't be thrilled with him at all because of it. I still think his offense will translate, but I also think he's most likely to be one-dimensional. On the right team, that's probably good enough.

Just for comparison - have you ever looked at Ja Morant's college SOS at Murray State? Yeah, it's not a misprint. I said it in some thread, maybe this one - if last year's ROY can come from Murray State, there's no reason why Toppin can't be a Top 10 pick this year, out of Dayton.

I didn't mean to say that a weak SOS is a hard and fast rule that means a player isn't good enough. But it is a yellow flag. You also have to look at how the player put up his numbers in college. A 7-footer who dominates smaller, slower players in the blocks doesn't impress me nearly as much a guy with handles and athleticism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I know... it's one of the things that really gives pause about him. If I was just looking at numbers, I wouldn't be thrilled with him at all because of it. I still think his offense will translate, but I also think he's most likely to be one-dimensional. On the right team, that's probably good enough.

Just for comparison - have you ever looked at Ja Morant's college SOS at Murray State? Yeah, it's not a misprint. I said it in some thread, maybe this one - if last year's ROY can come from Murray State, there's no reason why Toppin can't be a Top 10 pick this year, out of Dayton.

I didn't mean to say that a weak SOS is a hard and fast rule that means a player isn't good enough. But it is a yellow flag. You also have to look at how the player put up his numbers in college. A 7-footer who dominates smaller, slower players in the blocks doesn't impress me nearly as much a guy with handles and athleticism.

Nice post.

For me, Toppin has the double whammy of weak SOS and advanced age. Despite just finishing his sop re year, he's about a year older that Xavier Tillman, who just finished his junior year. He's two years older than Haliburton, and three years older than Wiseman. And Defense: Toppin doesn't even talk about it in interviews I've seen. It's like defense is not on his radar, even though every scouting report about him brings it up... to me, that's a third warning flag. Players from Wiseman to Tillman talk about it extensively, and a guy like Paul Reed says things like he wants to lead all rookies in rebounding, but Toppin is usually content to talk exclusively about scoring.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 11-14-2020 at 11:34 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is a 1.7 mil difference, Brogdon for example is making 18 mil in his fourth year that's 14 mil difference what he could have made if he was drafted 29th.
    Good point. Brogdon played it really smart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point. Brogdon played it really smart.
    What? Did he tell teams not to take him the first round? Anything else is just the luck of the draw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? Did he tell teams not to take him the first round? Anything else is just the luck of the draw.
    No, I just mean playing well and then working out a nice fat raise in his fourth year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the draft comes anywhere close to the mocks, there are several players who could go undrafted that would be great pickups. I hope the Spurs have at least a 2-way contract ready for Kaleb Wesson, the moment #60 is called - assuming he really does go undrafted. I can't believe he might go undrafted.

He's a legit big man. He was too heavy his when he first went to college, but he lost weight and started looking really good. Word is he's down to about 250 now, and stronger than ever. He's a guy who can get in and root under the basket, but he also shot .420 from 3P last year, on a reasonable number of attempts for a big man. He's 6'9" barefoot, and has around a 7'3" wingspan. And he held up very well against some of the better bigs in the NCAA last year.

If he really does go undrafted, it would be a crime. But it would be a bigger crime not to be waiting for him if that happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the draft comes anywhere close to the mocks, there are several players who could go undrafted that would be great pickups. I hope the Spurs have at least a 2-way contract ready for Kaleb Wesson, the moment #60 is called - assuming he really does go undrafted. I can't believe he might go undrafted.

He's a legit big man. He was too heavy his when he first went to college, but he lost weight and started looking really good. Word is he's down to about 250 now, and stronger than ever. He's a guy who can get in and root under the basket, but he also shot .420 from 3P last year, on a reasonable number of attempts for a big man. He's 6'9" barefoot, and has around a 7'3" wingspan. And he held up very well against some of the better bigs in the NCAA last year.

If he really does go undrafted, it would be a crime. But it would be a bigger crime not to be waiting for him if that happens.
    I think there are a number of bigs who will be there at 41 and later because how many talented PGs are in the draft and how teams value wings so much. I don't think Oturu will be there anymore, but I could see the Spurs easily replacing Eubanks with their second or even a two-way UDFA.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

High on him too. Good passer, which is crucial for pick and a pick and pop Big. Reggie Perry is another one more athletic, dad is a coach skilled for age and Malik Fitts.

There seems to be a little consensus for Woodard at 41. Yam Madar is a good draft and stash flyer. Isiah Joe may be the best shooter in the draft can't defend though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said it at the start of the thread (and for last years draft), Abdoulaye N'Doye is an NBA player. He might be another Danny Green - which is really good value at 41.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    High on him too. Good passer, which is crucial for pick and a pick and pop Big. Reggie Perry is another one more athletic, dad is a coach skilled for age and Malik Fitts.

There seems to be a little consensus for Woodard at 41. Yam Madar is a good draft and stash flyer. Isiah Joe may be the best shooter in the draft can't defend though.

I've read some crazy bad stuff about Wesson's athleticism - supposedly out of the "combine" they held this year. I don't have any way of knowing what is truth and what is rumor. If it's true, he's as earth-bound as Duncan was. And maybe that's going to keep him from being drafted. But I watched him play, and I watched him handle a number of bigger-name big men. I'm convinced he would have value in the NBA. Especially on a min contract as an undrafted free agent. (Did I mention that he shot 42% from 3P, on a decent number of attempts for a big man?)

We've got lots of other threads for predicting draft picks. All I'm saying is that if Wesson's name isn't called, I would really like to see the Spurs get him. Last year most of the best undrafted free agents got locked up on the first day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of people here liked Paul Reed as a sleeper in the draft, and he's looking like the MVP of the G League right now, putting up 22.4 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.2 spg, & 2.1 bpg, while shooting about 65% from two & 43% from three. I've watched him in a few G League games and he looks like a very modern defender, who at 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan switches seamlessly onto SFs and Cs. Good guy to keep an eye on for the future.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...reedpa01d.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of people here liked Paul Reed as a sleeper in the draft, and he's looking like the MVP of the G League right now, putting up 22.4 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.2 spg, & 2.1 bpg, while shooting about 65% from two & 43% from three. I've watched him in a few G League games and he looks like a very modern defender, who at 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan switches seamlessly onto SFs and Cs. Good guy to keep an eye on for the future.

I sure like him. Has some familiar moves offensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I brought up how well he has been playing in the Austin Toros thread. He is balling and been efficient

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I brought up how well he has been playing in the Austin Toros thread. He is balling and been efficient
    Tankathon had him #17 on their big board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you thinking of trading for him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you thinking of trading for him?
    If I were in a fantasy league, absolutely. Keep him for next year. I don’t, however, run the Spurs FO, and I doubt His current team would want to part with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just window shopping then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garrison Brooks of UNC is a sleeper. Watched Duke vs UNC yesterday and he's the best player on that Tar Heels team. Seems like a typical Spurs type player and although his 3-point and free throw shooting numbers look bad, his midrange game is elite. He's projected as a late 2nd-rounder, but has all the tools to become an NBA player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were in a fantasy league, absolutely. Keep him for next year. I don’t, however, run the Spurs FO, and I doubt His current team would want to part with him.
    Reed's on a two way contract now and there's a chance he signs a regular contract with the 76ers to finish the year, but unless that's a multi-year deal, he'll be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like the kid he impressed me if we were able to move Rudy or Mills to Philly I would want him in the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reed's on a two way contract now and there's a chance he signs a regular contract with the 76ers to finish the year, but unless that's a multi-year deal, he'll be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
    Nah. Two-way contracts always grant RFA rights to the team. Even if they for some reason converted his contract to a remainder-of-season deal, he should still be an RFA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the G league Ignite power forward Isaiah Todd if we draft in the low teens and 20’s

Thread Information