Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is someone I would like to get if we picked up another 1st. Dont think he will drop to us in the second.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oturu is someone I'd love to see on the Spurs. Right at ude and has a ton of upside, not at 11, though.
    Such a strange feeling to dig this deep into players that were once expected to be well into their first pre-season by now. What a weird year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sleepers Video or a.k.a guys who will outperform expected draft positions.

Some familiar names amongst Spurs fans: Desmond Bane, Malachi Flynn, Paul Reed, Xavier Tillman and Sam Merrill.

Malachi Flynn’s name comes up a lot now so not sure he is a sleeper anymore. May have worked his way into the 1st round now. Ditto with Desmond Bane, but a great video none the less.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sleepers Video or a.k.a guys who will outperform expected draft positions.

Some familiar names amongst Spurs fans: Desmond Bane, Malachi Flynn, Paul Reed, Xavier Tillman and Sam Merrill.

Malachi Flynn’s name comes up a lot now so not sure he is a sleeper anymore. May have worked his way into the 1st round now. Ditto with Desmond Bane, but a great video none the less.

Malachi Flynn committed to one college. Then not long before the school year started, he "changed his mind" and went to Washington State. His second year at W State the team went something like 12-20, and he announced he was leaving, without even having a place in mind to go. He chose San Diego State, which played against a schedule ranked at 3.9 - which is damned close to junior college compe ion. He had to redshirt a year at SDSU, so he's as old as a 4-year player, without 4 years of experience.

Malachi Flynn.

I actually like Paul Reed, but not before 41. If he can up his 3P shot, he could be a decent player. And he's showed signs of being able to shoot them. Draft him in the second round, put him in Austin, and see if he puts the work in? Not so bad. He's got legit upside.

Sam Merrill played in the same conference as Malachi Flynn, against a strength of schedule just about as ty. He's 6'5". Yay. I don't know if he's really moving up. But if he really is, I would love to know why.
    Last edited by ZeusWillJudge; 10-25-2020 at 12:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without getting into Malachi Flynn’s personal history (to which I know very little about), this list is more about a players projected draft range and how their performance in an NBA environment may contradict where they end up being drafted.

Flynn and Tre Jones may be two of the more NBA ready PGs in the draft but at best will be drafted in late 1st- early 2nd.

Malachi Flynn sounds like a high level role player on a contender, a Draymond Green type.

Paul Reed draws comparisons to Precious Achiuwa but he is considered a 2nd round pick, despite being similar ages.

Sam Merrill is mocked to be a late 2nd/undrafted prospect - but because of his elite NBA skill of shooting, may end up playing meaningful minutes for a contender in his rookie year.

I’m not suggesting the Spurs draft any of these guys btw, just showing the depth/parity of talent in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without getting into Malachi Flynn’s personal history (to which I know very little about), this list is more about a players projected draft range and how their performance in an NBA environment may contradict where they end up being drafted.

Flynn and Tre Jones may be two of the more NBA ready PGs in the draft but at best will be drafted in late 1st- early 2nd.

Malachi Flynn sounds like a high level role player on a contender, a Draymond Green type.

I wasn't bashing you for bringing him up. I was giving my own opinion, like everyone else does.

I'm saying that you can't ignore Flynn's "personal history". I am really, REALLY sick of guys who don't honor their commitments to their team and teammates. No, not talking about Kawhi. Or at least not just Kawhi. Flynn quit W State like a , because they had a bad season - it was a jab at everyone (except him). That sounds like a fun guy to have on this roster.

And you sure as can't ignore the fact that his best play came while facing a Strength Of Schedule of 3.93. If you're not familiar, that is a laughably low level of compe ion. Some top-level players drop in the draft when scouts notice that their numbers go to when they face better teams. Playing against a 3.93 SOS is like looking at a guy who puts up numbers in the G-League. You have to know a lot more than his stats.

Put those two things together, and he's a great guy for the Spurs to stay away from in the draft. It was a lot quicker for me to just say Malachi Flynn.

I’m not suggesting the Spurs draft any of these guys btw, just showing the depth/parity of talent in the draft.

I got that. It was general, and I was being specific about the Spurs. I've spent a lot of time saying that I would like to have another lower first round pick and a high level second round pick. I just wouldn't use one of them on Malachi Flynn. That's all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't bashing you for bringing him up. I was giving my own opinion, like everyone else does.

I'm saying that you can't ignore Flynn's "personal history". I am really, REALLY sick of guys who don't honor their commitments to their team and teammates. No, not talking about Kawhi. Or at least not just Kawhi. Flynn quit W State like a , because they had a bad season - it was a jab at everyone (except him). That sounds like a fun guy to have on this roster.

And you sure as can't ignore the fact that his best play came while facing a Strength Of Schedule of 3.93. If you're not familiar, that is a laughably low level of compe ion. Some top-level players drop in the draft when scouts notice that their numbers go to when they face better teams. Playing against a 3.93 SOS is like looking at a guy who puts up numbers in the G-League. You have to know a lot more than his stats.

Put those two things together, and he's a great guy for the Spurs to stay away from in the draft. It was a lot quicker for me to just say Malachi Flynn.

I got that. It was general, and I was being specific about the Spurs. I've spent a lot of time saying that I would like to have another lower first round pick and a high level second round pick. I just wouldn't use one of them on Malachi Flynn. That's all.
    Apologies pal. Never took it personal. Was glad for the input and didn’t mean to come off as defensive. I mistyped before, meant to say Xavier Tillman was the Draymond Green type.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apologies pal. Never took it personal. Was glad for the input and didn’t mean to come off as defensive. I mistyped before, meant to say Xavier Tillman was the Draymond Green type.

I liked Jordan Nwora through the season. I still do. But he had a couple of poor games against good teams, and his draft stock went to . (I still think he will be a draft day bargain.) Flynn never faced a team anywhere close to those two teams that hurt Nwora's draft stock so much.

I mentioned earlier that most fans (and most of the people doing mock drafts) don't look at SOS much, if at all. Nwora played for Louisville. They faced an SOS of 9.08 his first year, and 11.04 his second year. This year their SOS was "only" 7.55, so I understand some of the concerns about him. But put that into perspective against Flynn facing a 3.93 SOS, and you have to wonder if people would be talking about Flynn this highly if he had played in a tougher conference.

This is just a hobby for all of us. I mean, the Spurs almost never call me for advice on who to draft. But it's a yearly pastime. You can look at Sports-Reference.com and get the college stats of all these players. And the last block in the per game section is SOS. Off the top of my head, the only first round pick I can remember in the last few years who played against a weaker SOS was Chandler Hutchison. He's actually been decent, considering. So I guess if I'm being honest, Flynn's personal stuff is a big factor for me. But I've been reading some of the PR about Flynn being one of the best PG's in this draft, and I still don't think you can base that much on his college performance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about Bolmaro?
    I could see the Spurs take a chance on him with the second round pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about Bolmaro?
    I haven't seen a mock in quite some time that has him falling that far. Most have him as a late 1st round pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Bolmaro pulled out of the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He pulled out from playing in the NBA for next season. He can still be selected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He pulled out from playing in the NBA for next season. He can still be selected.
    Is he 22?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My boyyyyyy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about Bolmaro?
    I haven't seen a mock in quite some time that has him falling that far. Most have him as a late 1st round pick.

I would have loved to see Bolmaro on this team. I don't think I would have taken him at 11, and he was unlikely to drop to 41.

But, yes, as Exstatic and Dejounte said, he has committed to staying put at least for this upcoming season, rather than coming to the NBA. I have no idea where he will be drafted because of that. If the Spurs were going to pick a guy that wouldn't be here for at least a year, he would be a good choice. But I hate... really HATE... the idea of using any more picks on guys who wind up never coming to the NBA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would have loved to see Bolmaro on this team. I don't think I would have taken him at 11, and he was unlikely to drop to 41.

But, yes, as Exstatic and Dejounte said, he has committed to staying put at least for this upcoming season, rather than coming to the NBA. I have no idea where he will be drafted because of that. If the Spurs were going to pick a guy that wouldn't be here for at least a year, he would be a good choice. But I hate... really HATE... the idea of using any more picks on guys who wind up never coming to the NBA.
    I agree with all of that but, if he fell to 41 I'd still pick him and wait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My boyyyyyyyyy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DRAFT THIS MAN

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-...mpression=true

Spurs probably want to pick up this guy undrafted for their gleague team sort of like what they did with Daulton Hommes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DRAFT THIS MAN
    https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-...mpression=true

Spurs probably want to pick up this guy undrafted for their gleague team sort of like what they did with Daulton Hommes

Thanks for keeping up with combine things, and posting up. I'm on a project right now, and I don't have time to do it.

I'm always a sucker for guys like Trevelin Queen. I want to see guys like that make it. I have to say, though, I went and took a quick look at this college stats. NM State had a -4.34 SOS this year? Yeah, that's MINUS 4.34. I'm sure there are plenty of those out there, and I'm just not looking at those guys and those schools. But a minus 4.34 strength of schedule? He shot 3's pretty well, but I don't think he's getting a call during the draft like the article is talking about. But a stint in the G-League could be in his future, like you said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Guys that will probably go undrafted. A lot were participants at the PBC and selected as honorees.
    Can see the Spurs looking at a guy like Nate Darling as a 2 way contract signing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we have any more room for Gleague guys to be signed on the 2 way though? Or is this going to be similar to Daulton Hommes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure Eubanks Two- Way has expired. Not sure on the status of Q’s contract, whether it was for 1 or 2 years.
    According to this can keep max of 2 on the books per team.

https://2ways10days.com/nba-two-way-...aq-70d1c9cbbe9

What is the duration of a two-way contract?
    Players can either sign for one or two years under two-way contract provisions, with the exception being players entering their third year of NBA service as they can only sign a one-year deal. At the end of contract, the NBA team will have the right to tender a qualifying offer to the player should they choose to do so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I mentioned earlier that most fans (and most of the people doing mock drafts) don't look at SOS much, if at all. Nwora played for Louisville. They faced an SOS of 9.08 his first year, and 11.04 his second year. This year their SOS was "only" 7.55, so I understand some of the concerns about him. But put that into perspective against Flynn facing a 3.93 SOS, and you have to wonder if people would be talking about Flynn this highly if he had played in a tougher conference.
    Obi Toppin's SOS was 3.69 last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if anyone has done a study on the value of the 31st pick in the draft... In financial terms, it's a really great pick to have-- you get a guy who's practically a first rounder, but the financial risk/ salary cap hit is as close to zero as you can get. A guy like Xavier Tillman led the entire NCAA in BPM and DBPM against a tough schedule and might be a productive bench big for years, but could be taken for a two year test drive with almost no financial investment risk. From a purely statistical angle with regard to potential talent and salary cap considerations, I'd think 31 through 35 should coveted much as a mid 20s pick.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 11-14-2020 at 01:25 AM.

Thread Information