Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think many here realize that Spo is probably the best coach in the league right now. I don't look at Bam, Robinson or Nunn and think "Wow if Pop had that talent, the Spurs would be rolling."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi to Sacramento for the #2 to draft Doncic was the real failure.
    Doncic would have an amazing rookie year... in the g-league

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doncic would have an amazing rookie year... in the g-league
    haha sad but true

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard that the Lakers refused to offer Ingram in any deal for Leonard.
    ingram was on the table, kuz was off as well as multiply picks which was the reason why this trade didnt happen.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that was what happened after the season (the self sabatoge). I don't know what the celtics or anybody else put on the table in February though because we (by we I mean pop) was convinced they could sign kawhi on a team friendly contract. I do think it's plausible that we could've gotten Tatum and brown at that point though. Brown wasn't nearly as coveted back then. He would have been the sweetener in a Tatum trade.
    There is an article that you can find online that was a post-mortem on the trade after the season had started. Don't care to go looking through it again but things I remember are:

Philly asked about Kawhi and the Spurs said Simmons had to be in the deal. Philly walked away.

Spurs told the Lakers that if they wanted Kawhi they had to give up Kuzma, Ingram, Hart, and two unprotected lottery picks. Spurs supposedly DID NOT want Lonzo because they already had enough guards. If you remember around this time there was a rumor that the Lakers were looking to trade Lonzo to Orlando for whatever there pick was, because they were actually going to try and do that deal. That is when Lonzo out of nowhere had knee surgery and that was the end of that rumor.

Boston inquired about Kawhi and they were willing to trade brown, smart, whatever else to make salaries match, and any combination of 3 picks the celtics had, including that coveted memphis pick. Spurs countered saying they wanted brown AND tatum. Celtics walked away. Viewed as self sabotage because it was supposedly well known that the only player the celtics would have traded tatum for was Anthony Davis. Brown was on the table because the celtics did not really know if they really wanted to pay him max or near max money because they knew that is what he was going to ask for, which is exactly what happened.

Clippers were willing to give the spurs pretty much whatever they wanted in players and/or future draft picks for Kawhi. Spurs did not want any of their young players and the clippers did not have a path to get the unprotected lottery picks the spurs wanted.

The whole Derozan thing itself is to sad to type about. Raptors front office ran circles around the spurs.

If pop legit thought he could sign Kawhi to anything other than a supermax then he is even more out of touch than we originally thought. A guy who was upset he was paid last on his last max contract IS NOT going to sign for anything less than the most money he can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that was what happened after the season (the self sabatoge). I don't know what the celtics or anybody else put on the table in February though because we (by we I mean pop) was convinced they could sign kawhi on a team friendly contract. I do think it's plausible that we could've gotten Tatum and brown at that point though. Brown wasn't nearly as coveted back then. He would have been the sweetener in a Tatum trade.
    If I remember correctly it was Brown+Smart, Tatum was never on the table.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what is he supposed to be, another centerpiece?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “If there is a team feeling Leonard regret now, it is Boston. The Celtics had the coveted young players and draft picks to outbid Toronto. Boston larded up its offer with draft picks, but declined to include Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown without gaining more assurance than was possible about Leonard’s health and interest in re-signing, sources said at the time of the trade." -zach lowe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still the most one-sided trade in the history of the NBA and always will be.
    Abdul-Jabbar to the Lakers from the Bucks for Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Dave Meyers and Junior Bridgeman. In addition to Abdul‐Jabbar, the Lakers also received Walt Wesley, a backup center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “If there is a team feeling Leonard regret now, it is Boston. The Celtics had the coveted young players and draft picks to outbid Toronto. Boston larded up its offer with draft picks, but declined to include Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown without gaining more assurance than was possible about Leonard’s health and interest in re-signing, sources said at the time of the trade." -zach lowe
    Yes, and there was also a "LA or bust" signal that Kawhi and his reps shouted out to media. The dude drove his trade value way down, so I'm not sure why he still has supporters who are supposed Spurs fans to this day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is an article that you can find online that was a post-mortem on the trade after the season had started. Don't care to go looking through it again but things I remember are:

Philly asked about Kawhi and the Spurs said Simmons had to be in the deal. Philly walked away.

Spurs told the Lakers that if they wanted Kawhi they had to give up Kuzma, Ingram, Hart, and two unprotected lottery picks. Spurs supposedly DID NOT want Lonzo because they already had enough guards. If you remember around this time there was a rumor that the Lakers were looking to trade Lonzo to Orlando for whatever there pick was, because they were actually going to try and do that deal. That is when Lonzo out of nowhere had knee surgery and that was the end of that rumor.

Boston inquired about Kawhi and they were willing to trade brown, smart, whatever else to make salaries match, and any combination of 3 picks the celtics had, including that coveted memphis pick. Spurs countered saying they wanted brown AND tatum. Celtics walked away. Viewed as self sabotage because it was supposedly well known that the only player the celtics would have traded tatum for was Anthony Davis. Brown was on the table because the celtics did not really know if they really wanted to pay him max or near max money because they knew that is what he was going to ask for, which is exactly what happened.

Clippers were willing to give the spurs pretty much whatever they wanted in players and/or future draft picks for Kawhi. Spurs did not want any of their young players and the clippers did not have a path to get the unprotected lottery picks the spurs wanted.

The whole Derozan thing itself is to sad to type about. Raptors front office ran circles around the spurs.

If pop legit thought he could sign Kawhi to anything other than a supermax then he is even more out of touch than we originally thought. A guy who was upset he was paid last on his last max contract IS NOT going to sign for anything less than the most money he can.
    Yes, that was after the season and after all the bad blood surfaced. I'm talking about several months before that.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure Boston never put both Tatum and Brown on the table.

Speaking as an expert in mythology, the Tatum+Brown story is right up there with the one about Aphrodite having a . It's not really even a myth - just a fantasy that a few people have. It's best that you don't spend too much time thinking about it.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I remember correctly it was Brown+Smart, Tatum was never on the table.
    truuu

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that didn't happen cause Pop wanted Plumlee. He thought Plumlee was better and Bam "wasn't ready"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bam would not have been a game changer for this franchise. No trade for #2 was going to be fair. I’m just upset the spurs didn’t send him to the Hornets for Kemba. He would not have won a le with the hornets and would not have the media platform he has now because of it.
    do you have a source for this? I never heard about that one.

Spurs FO is totally re ed. They should've traded nephew by midseason, instead they kept him, built a team around him for the upcoming season and then traded him. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand let's not forget they also gave up Danny Green and 5 million $. Beyond stupid.

If Boston offers Brown, Smart and picks I take that. At least there wouldn't be a hole at SF and you'd have another young talent on the same timeline as the other young guys. If they tried to match salaries the deal would've probably been Brown, Smart and Marcus Morris + picks. That was 21 million and would've matched nephew's 19 million.

Aldridge/Morris/Brown/Green/White

would've been a sickass line up. No defensive holes at all.

If the Hornets offer Kemba + picks you take that. Kemba and Aldridge would be a great guard/big combo. Plus Kemba was only on a 12 million dollar deal back then. That means the Hornets would have to include some more players like Jeremy Lamb for example.

Aldridge/Bertans/Green/White/Kemba

would've also been way better than what we got now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs FO is totally re ed. They should've traded nephew by midseason, instead they kept him, built a team around him for the upcoming season and then traded him. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand let's not forget they also gave up Danny Green and 5 million $. Beyond stupid.

If Boston offers Brown, Smart and picks I take that. At least there wouldn't be a hole at SF and you'd have another young talent on the same timeline as the other young guys. If they tried to match salaries the deal would've probably been Brown, Smart and Marcus Morris + picks. That was 21 million and would've matched nephew's 19 million.

If the Hornets offer Kemba + picks you take that. Kemba and Aldridge would be a great guard/big combo. Plus Kemba was only on a 12 million dollar deal back then. That means the Hornets would have to include some more players like Jeremy Lamb for example.

I'll have to look for the source but I live in Charlote, NC so it was reported in the local media that Jordan had called up the Spurs and had inquired about getting #2 and told the Spurs that they could have Kemba but the Spurs said they were not interested. I just found a source now for this https://swarmandsting.com/2018/01/24...leonard-trade/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree with you 100 percent. I felt the Spurs should have traded him immediately once he started going MIA and refusing to talk to them. That should have been the first indication that #2 had gone rogue. Like you said the time to trade him was around early 2018 in Jan-Feb. Spurs were a bunch of idiots and gambled when the signs were all there early on that he didn't want to be in SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs could’ve had and done a lot of things had that senile POS not diarrhead all over the team’s future tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2020 offseason aka 2020 rehash season

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's insistence on wanting to compete sabotaged the Kawhi trade. They should have taken any package of youngsters+picks instead of the garbage we ended up with. Derozan isn't worth his contract and is incompatible with most NBA lineups due to him being a wing that can't shoot or play defense. Poetl is an archaic big that has no offensive game whatsoever. He's a decent defensive anchor and might have made sense in 2005 but you can't get away with playing 4 vs 5 on offense in the modern NBA. Bigs like him are common in free agency nowadays. It's likely neither will still be on the roster longterm. Just a terrible, terrible trade.

Even more depressing is that they followed it up the next offseason with the Bertans/Carroll/Morris fiasco. I mean the Knicks are considered one of the worst front offices in general and even they ripped us off. Stole Morris right out from under us, and even threw salt in the would by trading him to S bag's team while attaining a first round pick. That's embarrassing on all levels. Oh yeah, the guy we gave away Bertans for was so terrible we bought him out(on the hook for two more years) and now plays for a division rival. Spurs may be a great team when it comes to drafting(thank the scouting department) but we're historically awful when it comes to trades. Our last good trade was probably George Hill for Kawhi and that was almost ten years ago.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's insistence on wanting to compete sabotaged the Kawhi trade. They should have taken any package of youngsters+picks instead of the garbage we ended up with. Derozan isn't worth his contract and is incompatible with most NBA lineups due to him being a wing that can't shoot or play defense. Poetl is an archaic big that has no offensive game whatsoever. He's a decent defensive anchor and might have made sense in 2005 but you can't get away with playing 4 vs 5 on offense in the modern NBA. Bigs like him are common in free agency nowadays. It's likely neither will still be on the roster longterm. Just a terrible, terrible trade.

Even more depressing is that they followed it up the next offseason with the Bertans/Carroll/Morris fiasco. I mean the Knicks are considered one of the worst front offices in general and even they ripped us off. Stole Morris right out from under us, and even threw salt in the would by trading him to S bag's team while attaining a first round pick. That's embarrassing on all levels. Oh yeah, the guy we gave away Bertans for was so terrible we bought him out(on the hook for two more years) and now plays for a division rival. Spurs may be a great team when it comes to drafting(thank the scouting department) but we're historically awful when it comes to trades. Our last good trade was probably George Hill for Kawhi and that was almost ten years ago.
    Can't be angry at the Spurs for what happened with Morris. That was a complete blindside by the Knicks which is something no front office would have been prepared for. What Morris and the Knicks did was something that never been done before in FA. Morris still looked for better deals even when he had agreed to sign the Spurs offer. The Knicks also decided to go after him even though he had agreed to sign with the Spurs. Teams and Players don't operate like that in FA. If anything it shows Morris and the Knicks are both rotten en ies. It's frustrating Morris and the Knicks doing the Spurs dirty was another benefit for #2. It still gets me angry seeing how Morris could be a difference maker in the Clippers winning it all this year thanks to the Knicks dirty meddling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's insistence on wanting to compete sabotaged the Kawhi trade.
    To be honest, I disagree. It wasn't the insistence on staying compe ive that doomed the Kawhi trade - it was the overvaluing of DeRozan as a player and piece that did them in. Other packages could've kept the Spurs compe ive (Kemba was already a well-known star by the time the trade could've gone down for example, not so much for Brown and the C's package), but Pop was adamant in getting a true "star". Though to be honest, in hindsight, I think the biggest reason Toronto was chosen was that it was not in the Western Conference, and it also was seen as an extremely undesirable location to be traded to. I have no doubts in my mind that Pop's pettiness played a part there.

So, the issue wasn't the desire to stay compe ive, but a miscalculation of which package was the best shot at doing so.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be honest, I disagree. It wasn't the insistence on staying compe ive that doomed the Kawhi trade - it was the overvaluing of DeRozan as a player and piece that did them in. Other packages could've kept the Spurs compe ive (Kemba was already a well-known star by the time the trade could've gone down for example, not so much for Brown and the C's package), but Pop was adamant in getting a true "star". Though to be honest, in hindsight, I think the biggest reason Toronto was chosen was that it was not in the Western Conference, and it also was seen as an extremely undesirable location to be traded to. I have no doubts in my mind that Pop's pettiness played a part there.

So, the issue wasn't the desire to stay compe ive, but a miscalculation of which package was the best shot at doing so.
    I'm all for being petty but not being stupid petty like Pop was. If he wanted to be petty you send #2 to Charlotte to a place where he has no chance in of winning a le. Granted Charlotte is an upgrade over SA but #2 would still have been upset since he was not in LA and would have had to waste a year playing for a team that wasn't a contender. That was the best way to get back at him. Pop stupidly put #2 in a position to win a le and #2 capitalized off of it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also heard that the Nets were gone get Pop. I guess those articles were true aswell.

Even if this was true, Bam wasn't even a household name. Dude busted out big times this year, not 2018. During that year what else did the heat have to offer? Kawhi was a risk, dude would most likey would have left, so but other peiece were invovled, if Bam was the center peice that is a much worst trade for us than the DD trade.

The only trade, that would be worth it would have been the Boston if it was true, and the clips.
    Even with the trade we bad, the jury is still out.
    What type of player will Keldon be? will he be an all-start or close to an all-start? of yeah, than trade levels itself out.
    how about Poeltl? will he be re-signed and just will he develop further?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamo why in the world would Charlotte trade for Kawhi? They had abetter shot of keep Kemba than Kawhi. They weren't even a playoff team.

Actually find reliable sure, not some made up bs, that doesn't even make sense.

Thread Information