Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well if we are using any of today's front court to proof against Duncan and David, then I see no point in discussing any more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You only have 1 ball, the other one has to shoot the three to be useful on offense. Even if they are both great players they can't utilize both of their skills at the same time, one is relegated to a below average three point shooter on offense. On defense only one can protect the rim, so your'e forcing another out of their comfort zone guarding the perimeter.

You double team the post player , sag off the other , then you live with the consequence of a perimeter shot of a great back to the basket player. Or you pack the paint , and hope for a shoot-out, you would probably higher paid perimeter players to outscore their 3 other guys.
    Robinson guarding a 3-point shooter is out of his comfort zone? Have you seen Robinson play????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson guarding a 3-point shooter is out of his comfort zone? Have you seen Robinson play????
    Yeah DRob would block that 3 point shot and be the first to dunk it on the other end.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess some of the posters here are too young to see D Rob and Timmy do fast breaks or even Timmy do a crossover. Not to be disrespectful but even a combi of Giannis and unibrow would not be in the same tier as Timmy and David. Especially David, I do not see any perimeter player not having issues with him, he has the speed, the strength, the length and the finesse.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I admit didn't see Robinson play, the only videos on youtube when i type Robinson and defense is him being destroyed by Olajuwon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson would be unstoppable in today’s league. He would be a better Giannis. I mean back then the only way to stop him was to double or triple team him. That’s how every team beat the early 90s Spurs. But it is different today bc I can only think of 1 team in the West that could actually deal with Robinson and that’s the Lakers. But they don’t shoot the 3 at all and really that match up would favor the Spurs.

From a team perspective, I would say spacing. Play high and low like they did in actual games together. Run the fast break with Robinson. Pic n roll lob them to death. Pass the ball to Duncan in the post during crunch time. Can you imagine Golden St style of switching on D working on those 2?? For us as a team I would just play zone. Imagine a team like Houston trying to guard Duncan with James Harden and Robinson with PJ Tucker. Just throw the ball up lol. we could shoot 100 threes and get 50% offensive rebounds against that team. Also I’m pretty sure David is faster than James. Just saying. Never seen a big man like that before.

Just give them good shooters to kick out to and not Avery ing Johnson and I think they would do fine

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So every great big man over the last 75 years is complete is that right? Oh yeah and by the way let’s completely overlook how nobody is allowed to play defense anymore. Change the rules back to a time when you allowed to play defense and tell me what’s up. I understand why the NBA did it because fans wanted more scoring, but these mother ers are getting elbowed in the stomach and people are getting thrown out of the game..
    In today’s nba the great bigs of yesteryear would be trash, yes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prime D-Rob was made for this new league. Would be fun to watch. But Prime TD, and his next level bbiq, would be so dominant that the league would have to adapt.

Same thing with Shaq honestly (more on the transformative strength piece). It becomes a roster composition thing for the other teams. You wouldn’t be able to just have 4 PJ Tucker’s on your team and expect to cover the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In today’s nba the great bigs of yesteryear would be trash, yes.
    Duncan and Robinson playing together at age 26 can't beat Jimmy Butler and the Miami Heat right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan and Robinson playing together at age 26 can't beat Jimmy Butler and the Miami Heat right?
    No, Olynk, Robinson, Herro, Dragic et al would be raining so many trees the Sperms would be run off the court tbh. They’d put Timmy and The Admiral in the pick and roll over and over and over and Poop would have no answers. They better be glad they were born 25 years earlier imho because their ceiling is Boban in today’s nba fwiw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know one thing. The Spurs should've grabbed Duncan Robinson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, Olynk, Robinson, Herro, Dragic et al would be raining so many trees the Sperms would be run off the court tbh. They’d put Timmy and The Admiral in the pick and roll over and over and over and Poop would have no answers. They better be glad they were born 25 years earlier imho because their ceiling is Boban in today’s nba fwiw.
    Robinson and Duncan in their youth can't handle the pick and roll? Did you watch Spurs games with your eyes closed? I am sure Manu and Tony would be useless too right? Yeah they suck..

Yeah they'd be scared to death of this run of the mill 48 win East Team..

BTW if Giannis had 1/4 of what Tim did on the block they'd be up 3-0..

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big men don't work as well today because they aren't as good when the chips are down as the guys in the past. Shaq would almost literally eat this league.

Having 2003 Duncan and Robinson would make our defense impregnable and scoring would be easy because no one can defend the post because no one has to in the current day.
    Last edited by tim_duncan_fan; 09-05-2020 at 02:42 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You keep the twin towers and surround them with snipers. Would be deadly tbh...

tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson and Duncan in their youth can't handle the pick and roll? Did you watch Spurs games with your eyes closed? I am sure Manu and Tony would be useless too right? Yeah they suck..

Yeah they'd be scared to death of this run of the mill 48 win East Team..

BTW if Giannis had 1/4 of what Tim did on the block they'd be up 3-0..
    Exactly. Its not like the Utah Jazz ever ran the pick-in-roll. Oh wait, they did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bruh the takes by those 12 year olds in this thread are hilarious When did y'all start watching games? In 2015?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why you calling a rich man's Deandre Ayton Giannis?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DRob was by far the fastest player of any position to ever play with the spurs. TD prior to his meniscus tear was very athletic & fast also. Both players, playing together in their prime & surrounded by 3 marksmen, would dominate the league in a modern run & gun offense.

Both would develop a 3pt shot, but wouldn’t have to resort to it often.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan Robinson is tearing up in the NBA right now, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prime Tim and Dave, trade?

lol no

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jokic is tearing the league a new anus. lakers are excelling without the three

pre injury post injury tosb, any version of duncan can adapt and be great in any nba era

and this mermaid style league is custom built for drob

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

3:20 mark
    Last edited by stnick2261; 09-09-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all the triple-doubles Westbrook has gotten, how close has he ever gotten to a quadruple-double? I used to search this on bkref but now they put Game Finder behind a paywall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like teams had to adapt to the Warriors style, I think if a team had prime Robinson and Duncan they'd inflict so much havoc on the NBA that teams would have to pivot again to keep up. Twin towers surrounded by shooters would become the gold standard for style of play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all the triple-doubles Westbrook has gotten, how close has he ever gotten to a quadruple-double? I used to search this on bkref but now they put Game Finder behind a paywall.
    Wow that sucks

Thread Information