Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too slow, too unskilled, can’t shoot, too immobile. Maybe he could have a solid career in China still, but no chance he could make it in today’s nba.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How bored are you?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How bored are you?
    This

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How bored are you?
    Is that a retort to the truth nuke just dropped on all of you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prove me wrong. But you can’t because you know I’m right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very bored I take it.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Tim was pretty spry his first 8-9 years, though. Go back and watch the old playoff games in like 99 vs the Lakers.

And he already had a nice 20 foot jumper. I can not be convinced he couldn't step back and develop a reliable three if need be. Plus he was smarter than everyone on the court and still would be, so yeah...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    0/10. Get some rest or whatever you need son. Come back with a real thread.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim was pretty spry his first 8-9 years, though. Go back and watch the old playoff games in like 99 vs the Lakers.

And he already had a nice 20 foot jumper. I can not be convinced he couldn't step back and develop a reliable three if need be. Plus he was smarter than everyone on the court and still would be, so yeah...
    From '97-'06 he was super spry.From '06-'08 he started to lose his spryness. Then after '08 he had completely lost it.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yeah, 08 Tim is sorta useless in this game today.

From '97-'06 he was super spry.From '06-'08 he started to lose his spryness. Then after '08 he had completely lost it.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Going undrafted is extreme, but I honestly do question Duncan’s career trajectory in today’s league. I look at a couple current bigs. Not the same type of player as Duncan, but more to illustrate how Duncan as still an elite talent might not have the same career success now.

Look at the guys now who are viewed as among the best of the current group of bigs. Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid. They’re both considered top players, sometimes top 10, Davis at some point in recent years maybe top 5. But even with the superstar production, they’ve never been viewed as one of the two or three best players in the league. They’re not viewed as the type of franchise player you can build a championship team around. They have to play Robin. Their low post scoring opportunities are limited if not marginalized. They have to be able to rely to some level on perimeter skill and be able to play in open court.

So when I think of Duncan playing now, it’s not that I think he couldn’t hang, but how almost all teams would use his talents much differently. He’d be more 30+ year old Duncan being a secondary offensive option to Tony Parker, except he’d be that from day 1 of his rookie season. So I do question if he’d win multiple League MVPs or be the centerpiece of a championship team. I think those are legitimate questions. But suggesting he’d go undrafted is too much.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    For the record, I question how Shaq would fit in today’s game too.

He literally could not play defense against 75% of the league now.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Young and in shape Shaq would be fine. He was athletic enough to dominate down low and quick enough to check bigs on the perimeter.

The statistics tell us that two point shots need to hit at around a 60% clip in order to be as valuable as a 3 point shot in this day and age. And Shaq was at or around 60% for his entire career and that was before 6'5 centers existed

Now, the bloated "I recover on company time" Shaq is Boban. Doesn't see the court much.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Tbh, that young, athletic Shaq running with guards and leading the break was only his first couple seasons. For sure, by the time he was with the Lakers he was too big, too heavy. Maybe out of shape is too harsh, but certainly not quick or mobile enough for today’s game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball official here and changes in games come in waves - sure analytics favor shooting lots of threes over the mid-range but they also favor drives to hoop and I believe under a coach who encouraged he could of hit threes with practice, and although he could not jump as high or run as fast as some he had deceptive quickness and off the charts bb IQ and could adapt any era especially he was so non selfish. Winners never out of fashion!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball official here and changes in games come in waves - sure analytics favor shooting lots of threes over the mid-range but they also favor drives to hoop and I believe under a coach who encouraged he could of hit threes with practice, and although he could not jump as high or run as fast as some he had deceptive quickness and off the charts bb IQ and could adapt any era especially he was so non selfish. Winners never out of fashion!
    I look at Jokic a guy who is slow as and has no leaping abilities dominate on the offensive end with his post game and have a hard time believing Tim wouldn't be great in this era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Being great and having the same type of career he did are not the same. Expect Jokic to win multiple League MVPs and be the Finals MVP of multiple championship teams? Adapting, being a winner, being great. Take those out of the equation. In this era, would Tim Duncan win multiple MVPs, multiple championships as the franchise player, and go down as a top 10 player in league history? Is there any big man drafted in the past two decades that will have that type of career in today’s game?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah but put him down low and just keep passing it to him.. He's going for 50 a game.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Yeah but put him down low and just keep passing it to him.. He's going for 50 a game.
    Play run-and-gun uptempo style and put him in pick-and-roll every time on defense, he dies of cardiac arrest by halftime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Play run-and-gun uptempo style and put him in pick-and-roll every time on defense, he dies of cardiac arrest by halftime.
    He never played much D anyway. But he'd be dunking 40 times a game.. even today Joel is at his worst when he comes off the block.. Trying to be that Big shooting 3's..

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Big man PNR defense has changed, even more drastically just the last few years. Big men can’t drop in the lane anymore. They have to play up, they have to hedge the ball handler who is usually a good to great shooter, play man up on a guard if there’s a switch, and still have to recover to the roller if no switch. Makes you tired just thinking about it. Put Shaq in the PNR with Jamal Murray as the ball handler and for every dunk he makes, he’s giving up a wide open three pointer to a great three point shooter. At least on the other end, you can hack Shaq to prevent a dunk sometimes. Shaq dropping in the lane on PNR or having to play man up on a guard is game over.

The game has changed man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big man PNR defense has changed, even more drastically just the last few years. Big men can’t drop in the lane anymore. They have to play up, they have to hedge the ball handler who is usually a good to great shooter, play man up on a guard if there’s a switch, and still have to recover to the roller if no switch. Makes you tired just thinking about it. Put Shaq in the PNR with Jamal Murray as the ball handler and for every dunk he makes, he’s giving up a wide open three pointer to a great three point shooter. At least on the other end, you can hack Shaq to prevent a dunk sometimes. Shaq dropping in the lane on PNR or having to play man up on a guard is game over.

The game has changed man.
    Changed for the better or worse? Watching Giannis he can't do anything in the half court.. Give him a little of what Duncan or Hakeem had on the block and Heat would be down 2-0 right now.. Everything is head down to the basket.. And he can't shoot.. So a Big that can't shoot is going to win back to back League MVP's.. But everyone says the 6'11 guy must be a 3 PT shooter. Well he sucks at it..

And so the Jackson's and Riley's of the world would NOT want Shaq? Or they would build a great physical half court team around him? Sure guys like Duncan and Hakeem would do better on D because of their mobility than Shaq.. But Surround Shaq with great shooters.. You play to the strengths. Shaq and Kobe together today can't win? What do you think? Seems silly to me..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being great and having the same type of career he did are not the same. Expect Jokic to win multiple League MVPs and be the Finals MVP of multiple championship teams? Adapting, being a winner, being great. Take those out of the equation. In this era, would Tim Duncan win multiple MVPs, multiple championships as the franchise player, and go down as a top 10 player in league history? Is there any big man drafted in the past two decades that will have that type of career in today’s game?
    Jokic's inability to be a rim protector is what holds him back from being an MVP candidate. The biggest weakness in his game is he's a terrible interior defender and is not good at defensive rotations. Unfortunately he can't help it because he's not quick enough laterally to ever be great defender. Duncan would not have those problems since he had great mobility and lateral quickness when he was in his prime.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Changed for the better or worse? Watching Giannis he can't do anything in the half court.. Give him a little of what Duncan or Hakeem had on the block and Heat would be down 2-0 right now.. Everything is head down to the basket.. And he can't shoot.. So a Big that can't shoot is going to win back to back League MVP's.. But everyone says the 6'11 guy must be a 3 PT shooter. Well he sucks at it..

And so the Jackson's and Riley's of the world would NOT want Shaq? Or they would build a great physical half court team around him? Sure guys like Duncan and Hakeem would do better on D because of their mobility than Shaq.. But Surround Shaq with great shooters.. You play to the strengths. Shaq and Kobe together today can't win? What do you think? Seems silly to me..
    It’s not an opinion piece on the state of the game. I didn’t say the game’s better. Just different. Even in the playoffs, there’s less and less halfcourt sets, at least the 20+ second, run multiple actions type sets. It’s transition, delayed transitioned, shoot the first open three, or drive and finish or drive and kick. Giannis is a 30 point scorer without being able to do anything in the halfcourt set.

Giannis is not a good shooter. But he’s 7 foot physical freak who fits today’s game because the uptempo style doesn’t negatively affect his style. Put the Shaq comparison aside. He fits today’s game because he has a similar style to LeBron in that he’s a freak who can play all five positions and handle the ball, rebound, push the break, and finish at the rim.

Phil Jackson would not be Phil Jackson in today’s game. And Riley would not want anything to do with 330+ pound Shaquille in today’s evolved game. In fact, I bet you Riley hated Shaq’s poor conditioning and got rid of him as quickly as he could after the championship.

Thread Information