San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Precious Achiuwa

College: Memphis
    Position: C/PF/SF?
    Height: 6-foot-9
    Weight: 225 pounds
    Draft Range: 8 to 15

Why: Extremely mobile for his size. Add in his 7-foot-2 wingspan and his theoretical defensive potential is enormous. Can defend out on the perimeter and he's a beast on the boards. Racks up steals and blocks at high rates. Very fast up and down the court. Pretty good ball-handler for his size and shows flashes of offensive wherewithal. Though he was a sub-60% free throw shooter, hit 32.5% of his threes so it's possible he could become a three-point threat.

Why Not: Feel for the game is poor, especially offensively. Went to Memphis as a perimeter prospect but he showed little ability to read a defense. Turns it over a ton and not the most willing of passers. Projects as an energy big; very unlikely (though not impossible) he could develop enough perimeter skill to play as a wing in the NBA. Outside shot is a work in progress. Discipline and consistency are issues on defense.

Spurs Fit: He could probably step in early on as a backup center. A shift to the 4 or the 3 will take a while -- or might never happen, depending on how he develops. If the Spurs draft him, re-signing Poeltl would be less of a priority.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Supersized Malik Rose

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Clueless Francisco Elson

Statistics
    Interview
    Highlights

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally youre back lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Comparison - Floor: Clueless Francisco Elson
    Considering Francisco wasn't exactly what I would call a "cerebral player"...that's a pretty low floor.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched an earlier Memphis game. Kid got lucky Wiseman got suspended, was awful at the PF spot. Everytime he get's the ball at the perimeter it's a bad possession. He's one move that worked is backdown and overpower.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched an earlier Memphis game. Kid got lucky Wiseman got suspended, was awful at the PF spot. Everytime he get's the ball at the perimeter it's a bad possession. He's one move that worked is backdown and overpower.
    No he did not get lucky, he had more responsabilities on offense wich is Not his role.

He is more a defensive player than offensive, but he did pretty good and was Memphis leader by far.

About offense, did you see the pnr abilities ? The transition ?

When you analyze a young player( not you in particular) you Need to know his role, style of play, strenghts..... The

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know if he's worth the 11th pick, but Achiuwa seems to have the potential to play all frontcourt positions. If he can hit his 3's consistently, to go with his defensive prowess, Achiuwa has a chance to be decent player in this league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very excited of him as a prospect, very athletic with big potential for a small ball center. I can’t wait to see him run with the young crew. Keep Poeltl to defend bigger centers like Jokic.

But is he the immediate need or 3 and D like Vassell, and pick up and athletic big at 41st?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I've mentioned probably too much recently, I don't consider myself a scout. But from what I see from Precious, you have to think of him as a center who may be able to play PF rather than a PF who can play C or especially SF. I don't see any cir stance where Achiuwa is a three, even if the perimeter skill comes through. He'd just be a skilled PF at that point. Nothing wrong with that. From the still very little I've watched from him, I don't see an ability to cross-guard on smaller wings. He seems like a capable switch defender who can hedge and handle closeouts better than most bigs, but he still looks like a baby deer on the perimeter. But yeah, he's a big, long strong dude, he'll get his numbers playing a FS role like a bigger version of the Good DJM. I just think that the defense should be contextualized appropriately.

Offensively, I think he provides the aggressive vertical spacing that Poeltl should. He seems to like cutting and ducking in whenever he senses an opportunity. I love that he seems good a sealing and presenting a big target for entry passes. It's not clear how well that would work against NBA defenders. But opportunistic post-ups are still one of the most damaging shots for a defense to deal with since they eventually cause a lot of bending as folks scramble to help. If he can be a decent corner shooter, I think he and Aldridge could work in a 3 out, 2 half in/half out offense. It'd be an open question as to whether that'd work with DeRozan or especially and Murray. Going with that, the vertical threat Precious can present on the break and his own ability to take a rebound and go could really add to the downhill offense the Spurs have been trying to implement for a few years and just managed to demonstrate during the bubble. Especially at the five, Achiuwa's speed and decent handles could be devastating. I didn't see any play-making though, and that limits how well Precious could leverage his ball-handling. That is worrisome if he's to grow into a Bam-level play-making center. However, when looking at Adebayo's stats from college, one can see that Bam didn't show that in college either. It's something that could take time.

I would be fascinated by the Spurs picking Achiuwa. He's not at the top of my list in terms of the whole draft or realistic targets at 11. But he'd be one of the most exciting. I'd play him at the four right away with the idea of Aldridge continuing to extend his range. With Gay entrenched as the backup four and Sam maybe pushing for minutes, the team doesn't have to worry about Achiuwa having to play a huge role. Alternatively, the Spurs could look into playing Precious as the backup three and seeing if being in the position somehow unlocks his latent potential. Mills/Walker/Achiuwa/Gay/Poeltl should have decent spacing. The issue would be that one of Johnson and Murray has to be out of the rotation. Maybe that would be with a Murray trade, but that's its own can of worms. If DeJounte is kicked down to the bench and the team runs with White/Johnson/DeRozan/Lyles/Aldridge, then Achiuwa might not be able to be in the rotation at all. I guess that Poeltl could be let go or Aldridge traded. That'd depend on return and free agency, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid prospect and I think the Spurs are probably very interested in him, but I think we end up going with a 3&D like Vassell or Williams ahead of him.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    him and keldon could be a two headed hustle big body dog

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Precious is my third or fourth choice...

Achiuwa's appeal is his mobility and strength, both which are NBA ready. The concern is his lack of feel for the game, basically it would be like rookie LeBron without the IQ and an amplified tendency to bulldoze through everything. Is that what the Spurs want to gamble on? Like Chinook said, it would probably be the most interesting choice for the Spurs. I do disagree that he will start right away... His lack of awareness will make look absolutely lost out there if thrown into the fire. This isn't Kawhi where he knew where to be at all times and where he had the defensive chops not to foul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs of the last several years and their draft selections has made me shift my priorities as far as what I value in prospects. Personally, I'm done with players like DJ and Lonnie who have all the physical tools in the world, but can't put it together. The player has to have some feel for the game and has had a coach instill principles in them.

Some badly missed rotations and some "I'm a star and I'm going to take this stupid shot even though my skill level isn't there yet" plays are what you'll witness in this video and in other full games.

Feel, BBall IQ (Derrick Whites, Keldon Johnsons) >>> gifted with athleticism or size (Lonnies, Murrays)
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-06-2020 at 01:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rarely watch college games, but pre pandemic I watched a game with Memphis and was completely underwhelmed
    No feel for the game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember everybody made a big deal about Rui last year and how "lost" he looked on the offensive end? I think it turned out alright. WE need to stop overthinking. The guy has all the tools you need for a modern 4/5. He's going to be a of a player. Would love Precious in silver and black!

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy has all the tools you need for a modern 4/5. He's going to be a of a player. Would love Precious in silver and black!
    agree, the only thing he needs is a good coach who leads him properly, especially to make hik more mature on the court.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard for the second time this weekend that there's talk that he may be a year or two older than he's listed. (As listed, he's about to turn 20 in a few days.) That would be a caution flag, since he's made his way so far with physical gifts and not fundamentals. If he's been a man among boys, that would mean a little less. Especially since Memphis had a really light strength of schedule.

The other thing is that he is supposed to have hit it off with Mike Miller (assistant coach) and worked hard on his game while he was at Memphis. He's got the athleticism for the next level. If he's coachable and willing to work, he's got to be a contender, even if he is a year or two older than listed.

Still, I have this mental image of Pop yelling at him on the sidelines.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​What kind of name is precious

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://nbadraft.theringer.com/#mock

Precious moved up to the Spurs pick per Kevin O Connor's mock draft. I think he's been known to be plugged in as far as inside sources? Not sure...

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​What kind of name is precious
    He has a brother named God'sgift, another named God'swill, and a third named Promise. He has two sisters named Grace and Peace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has a brother named God'sgift, another named God'swill, and a third named Promise. He has two sisters named Grace and Peace.
    Does this count as cultural appropriation of Hippies? Or Buddhists?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also: God'swill sounds like he was named by the folks over at The Onion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yuck, wouldn’t draft based on that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll have what those parents are having tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems alright, probably about par for this draft pick range (early-mid teens). We're not trading up apparently, so gotta go with a guy like this if he is available. We sure as have enough small guards

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what we got here is a cru-sader

Thread Information