San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Saddiq Bey

College: Villanova
    Position: SF/PF
    Height: 6-foot-8
    Weight: 215 pounds
    Draft Range: 10 to 18

Why: Has the body of a prototypical wing in today's NBA. Moves his feet well on defense; has a chance to be a perimeter stopper. Plays hard and plays smart. Makes few mistakes: low rate of turnovers and fouls. Hit 45.1% of his three-pointers as a sop re and 76.9% of his free throws. Defense, basketball IQ, shooting and team-first focus results in a high floor. Ready to contribute early on.

Why Not: Underwhelming ceiling; he looks like a finished product. Has quick feet and can jump decently well but just doesn't move as smoothly as you'd expect. He's a B or a B- athlete, which will make it difficult for him to become an elite defender. His defensive stats are worrisome, as he had very low rates for rebounds, steals and blocks. His release is slow and low, which could limit his attempts in the NBA.

Spurs Fit: Since he's very likely a role player in the NBA, the Spurs might as well throw him into the fire. It doesn't appear as if the G League would help him much.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: More Compe ive Richard Jefferson

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Ime Udoka

Statistics
    Highlights
    Interview

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope we get to see something like combine measurements. He's not an elite athlete, but he's not below average. He's not great at creating his own shot, but he did a pretty good job of facilitating offense this past season. He's not a ball-stopper. He's a damn good catch and shoot scorer, but he was also damn good coming off of screens and scoring on the move - I forget the exact number, but something like 95th percentile. And he plays smart, on both ends.

He hasn't been a good rebounder, but it's not from lack of energy or effort. He played with a human vacuum cleaner on the boards, and it wasn't his role. But he doesn't box any better than the rest of the Spurs roster, which annoys the living out of me.

He's NBA-ready. The problem with a lot of the "high upside" guys this year is that a lot of them have a floor of never seeing a minute in the NBA. (I disagree about some of their upsides as well, but that's another story.) I think Bey will get at least 15-20 minutes this year, pretty much anywhere he goes - except maybe for here. You never know with Pop. But he's a guy who will give a decent ROI for the pick. I don't think he'll go lower than 14, and could go as high as 8 or 9.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he could be like Sean Elliot with better 3s and less ball handling. He is my pick for the Spurs as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like this guy over Nesmith, taller and does not have the injury concerns. Looks like he can contribute right away. The Spurs have Luka as a project as well as a bunch of young players that are "works in progress" as far as bringing out their potential. I guess the Spurs can try to pick up a player on potential higher ceiling(if available) but this draft seems to have more unknowns due to shortened season and no March Madness, plus no G-league for development this next season. Besides, some here wanted the ready to contribute guy over Luka last year. I think maybe this draft the Spurs should go for that player. If anything maybe this player is able to replace Forbes or Belli in the rotation sometime during the season, that would be a win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe if the Spurs get a second first round pick in his range but not my first choice.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of bust potential on Bey
    - creates no separation on the college level ( how would he fare with NBA athletes )
    - no outlier strength to play the 4 lacks quick first step to play the 3
    - questions on shot translating, release is low and out easier to strip, FT% just average, shot is flat.
    - good on ball but exposed on switches/scrambles already good technique and IQ no more defensive upside.

If the athletic testing results is as bad as the eye test then he will fall outside the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of bust potential on Bey
    - creates no separation on the college level ( how would he fare with NBA athletes )
    - no outlier strength to play the 4 lacks quick first step to play the 3
    - questions on shot translating, release is low and out easier to strip, FT% just average, shot is flat.
    - good on ball but exposed on switches/scrambles already good technique and IQ no more defensive upside.

If the athletic testing results is as bad as the eye test then he will fall outside the lottery.
    Spot on. People shouldn't settle for a guy like Saddiq when you can easily find someone like him in the gleague, and in my opinion, we already had someone like him in DeMarre Carroll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe if the Spurs get a second first round pick in his range but not my first choice.

LOL. The problem is, most of the players people are calling "first choice" will be gone in the top 7-8 picks. He's not the only player I like, but he's one of my top contenders that are likely to still be around when the Spurs pick. And a lot of the others are 6'5".

If the Spurs pick a solid PG, I won't cry over passing on Bey. But if they pick another 6'5" two guard, this place is going to melt down. If they select another slow, no-3-shooting big man, this place is going to melt down.

Spot on. People shouldn't settle for a guy like Saddiq when you can easily find someone like him in the gleague, and in my opinion, we already had someone like him in DeMarre Carroll.

He's going to be playing in the NBA as a rookie. If you could find guys like that in the G-League, they wouldn't be in the G-League. And if you think the G-League is chock full of players who could just as easily be playing at the next level, you don't get it at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL. The problem is, most of the players people are calling "first choice" will be gone in the top 7-8 picks. He's not the only player I like, but he's one of my top contenders that are likely to still be around when the Spurs pick. And a lot of the others are 6'5".

If the Spurs pick a solid PG, I won't cry over passing on Bey. But if they pick another 6'5" two guard, this place is going to melt down. If they select another slow, no-3-shooting big man, this place is going to melt down.

He's going to be playing in the NBA as a rookie. If you could find guys like that in the G-League, they wouldn't be in the G-League. And if you think the G-League is chock full of players who could just as easily be playing at the next level, you don't get it at all.
    Look, I get it. You're confident he's going to be playing immediately in the NBA, and I'm not. Just a difference in opinion. This guy is your horse. I get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Eye test.

You haven't watched him play. I guarantee it. You know it, everybody here knows it. You read a ing scouting report by someone who probably hasn't watched him play either. YouTube instant experts.

For the record, he was one of the best 3P shooters in the country. His PPP (points per possession) were something like 98th percentile in the nation. I can see why someone like you would think that's not going to be valuable to NBA teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope we get to see something like combine measurements. He's not an elite athlete, but he's not below average. He's not great at creating his own shot, but he did a pretty good job of facilitating offense this past season. He's not a ball-stopper. He's a damn good catch and shoot scorer, but he was also damn good coming off of screens and scoring on the move - I forget the exact number, but something like 95th percentile. And he plays smart, on both ends.

He hasn't been a good rebounder, but it's not from lack of energy or effort. He played with a human vacuum cleaner on the boards, and it wasn't his role. But he doesn't box any better than the rest of the Spurs roster, which annoys the living out of me.

He's NBA-ready. The problem with a lot of the "high upside" guys this year is that a lot of them have a floor of never seeing a minute in the NBA. (I disagree about some of their upsides as well, but that's another story.) I think Bey will get at least 15-20 minutes this year, pretty much anywhere he goes - except maybe for here. You never know with Pop. But he's a guy who will give a decent ROI for the pick. I don't think he'll go lower than 14, and could go as high as 8 or 9.
    The last thing I heard was that the combine would be held regionally. I imagine they would do all of the same things, though, measurements, and all of the speed and agility drills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, I get it. You're confident he's going to be playing immediately in the NBA, and I'm not. Just a difference in opinion. This guy is your horse. I get it.

I can live with that. Except for the part about him being my guy. (I already have a horse.) He's ONE of the guys I think will be pick-worthy by the time the Spurs are on the clock. I would rather see the Spurs pick Tyrese Haliburton, if he's still on the board - but I don't think they will pick a PG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't agree with that or name a SF in gleague like him.

I think he's fine, I don't get the bust potential, maybe the ceilling as he is not an unbelivable athlet.

I think he would be a decent SF in the nba, could also be kind of 3 and D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would rather see the Spurs pick Tyrese Haliburton, if he's still on the board - but I don't think they will pick a PG.
    I don't see them picking another guard as a mistake.

Versatile guard in a small-ball oriented league seems like a good get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Meh, there's always someone projected to go relatively high but slides. Sometimes its because players improve their stock or others hurt theirs. Someone protected to go 7-8 could fall to eleven.

I'd be fine with a PG like Hayes or Haliburton or a big like Jalen Smith at 11. Spurs definitely could use a wing and Bey seems like a perfectly fine wing that can shoot and defend but he wouldn't be my first choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True wing, definitely Spurs material, but not at 11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has become my favorite too. It is not just hitting three, he has an NBA style quick release. He is going to be star from day one. Why choose a player who you hope can play at an NBA level when you got the sure thing here. He will be rhe rookie of the year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like this guy over Nesmith, taller and does not have the injury concerns. Looks like he can contribute right away. The Spurs have Luka as a project as well as a bunch of young players that are "works in progress" as far as bringing out their potential. I guess the Spurs can try to pick up a player on potential higher ceiling(if available) but this draft seems to have more unknowns due to shortened season and no March Madness, plus no G-league for development this next season. Besides, some here wanted the ready to contribute guy over Luka last year. I think maybe this draft the Spurs should go for that player. If anything maybe this player is able to replace Forbes or Belli in the rotation sometime during the season, that would be a win.
    There needs to be a balance between potential and production. Nesmith (if healthy) can contribute right away at the NBA level while having the potential to step into a much bigger offensive role going forward. That he can both compliment DeRozan/Aldridge and be a main perimeter offensive cog with White/Johnson is why he's my top guy among players who will probably be around at 11. If you believe Bey has potential to get better, it makes sense to take him. But the lack of upside is a real question mark for me, because there are a number of decent low-ceiling types that could be around at 41.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha the f , why zeus so aggressive your'e not his agent.

Spurs being a small market team, needs to use the draft to find stars. Scouting is good enough to find good young role players in the g-league and europe. ( Temple, Ingles , Royce, Bev, Baynes, Theis, Kieber, Marjanovic, Neal etc. )

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There needs to be a balance between potential and production. Nesmith (if healthy) can contribute right away at the NBA level while having the potential to step into a much bigger offensive role going forward. That he can both compliment DeRozan/Aldridge and be a main perimeter offensive cog with White/Johnson is why he's my top guy among players who will probably be around at 11. If you believe Bey has potential to get better, it makes sense to take him. But the lack of upside is a real question mark for me, because there are a number of decent low-ceiling types that could be around at 41.

I know you and I give each other , but I'm really curious what your thoughts are on that comment. Do you really think that complementing DDR and Aldridge is a factor going forward? Do you think either or both of those guys are part of the future here? I'm thinking that a guy who might take a year to settle in might never see any court time with either one of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see them picking another guard as a mistake.

Versatile guard in a small-ball oriented league seems like a good get.

If it means they're going to use one or two of them in trades, I don't have a problem with it either. People tend to look at the draft in a vacuum. Drafting a "versatile guard" isn't a bad thing, in principle. But roster construction and balance is a really, really big deal, and the Spurs need help in that regard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know you and I give each other , but I'm really curious what your thoughts are on that comment. Do you really think that complementing DDR and Aldridge is a factor going forward? Do you think either or both of those guys are part of the future here? I'm thinking that a guy who might take a year to settle in might never see any court time with either one of them.
    I don't think the Spurs will try to be bad with the goal of being good. To that end, I see them as having guys on their team that will be compe ive with their main prospects for touches even if those guys aren't DeRozan, Gay or Aldridge. It's always going to be valuable for guys they draft to be able to contribute right away to a club with the goal of making the playoffs. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if LMA and DMDR are both given longer contracts with the team. Aldridge especially fits as a potential HoFer who's playing well at a position of need who's from the state, played at the big university and in general seems to have settled down. DeRozan might want to move on, and we should hope so. But he's also famously loyal, and there's a place for him if the team gets rid of Murray. White/Johnson/DeRozan/defensive 4/Aldridge can be a playoff lineup for a couple of seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a clone of Stephen Jackson as a player, how you missed it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the Spurs will try to be bad with the goal of being good. To that end, I see them as having guys on their team that will be compe ive with their main prospects for touches even if those guys aren't DeRozan, Gay or Aldridge. It's always going to be valuable for guys they draft to be able to contribute right away to a club with the goal of making the playoffs. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if LMA and DMDR are both given longer contracts with the team. Aldridge especially fits as a potential HoFer who's playing well at a position of need who's from the state, played at the big university and in general seems to have settled down. DeRozan might want to move on, and we should hope so. But he's also famously loyal, and there's a place for him if the team gets rid of Murray. White/Johnson/DeRozan/defensive 4/Aldridge can be a playoff lineup for a couple of seasons.

That's what I was asking. There is a huge difference in how this team moves forward if they are going to keep DDR and LMA as the centerpieces, of if they are going to try to build a new, young core.

Starting several years ago, the Spurs' FO opted for a "win now" strategy, and then didn't follow through with what they really needed to do to win now. If they commit their lottery pick(s) to drafting players to complement DDR and LMA, at this stage in their careers it will be exactly what you say - a goal of making the playoffs. Maybe second round exits. Sadly, I think you're probably right about what they will do.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we go this route then I'd rather trade the #11 for an established player. That lineup might make the playoffs but they aren't doing anything when they get there. That's not an interesting outcome as far as I'm concerned.

Thread Information