Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Stepien article said that if he were able to play the 5, he'd break NBA defenses. Sound familiar?
    I like him but calm your s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him but calm your s
    That would be the 5% scenario. Not likely, but damn...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good stuff, Dejounte and ace3g. Watching him move, you can't tell Poku is a seven-footer. From those angles, it even looks like he's like 6-foot-2.

Not sure if that video was posted yet but it's pretty interesting even though it's over a year old. Poku's English is good, he's the son of a coach, his current coach (Tsaldaris -- pretty well-known guard in Greece the last couple decades) seems to like him and that's some clear footage of just how skinny he is, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly don't mind drafting him at 11 with the skill set he possesses from watching the videos. However, this is a home run swing type of pick that is for the future as he probably won't be ready to really contribute for at least 2-3 years with the team. His first couple of years will require him gaining strength and playing experience with our G-league team before really being ready to break on to the roster in year 3 as a rotational piece. It really isn't a problem if he is brought along this way as his skill set can be taken advantage of by the new coach, probably Becky Hammon. This will be good for him because if he were to play under Pop he would never be allowed to make mistakes and would not play. But if he can be developed into a Nikola Bertans or Davis Jokic in 3 years then we have a weapon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly don't mind drafting him at 11 with the skill set he possesses from watching the videos. However, this is a home run swing type of pick that is for the future as he probably won't be ready to really contribute for at least 2-3 years with the team. His first couple of years will require him gaining strength and playing experience with our G-league team before really being ready to break on to the roster in year 3 as a rotational piece. It really isn't a problem if he is brought along this way as his skill set can be taken advantage of by the new coach, probably Becky Hammon. This will be good for him because if he were to play under Pop he would never be allowed to make mistakes and would not play. But if he can be developed into a Nikola Bertans or Davis Jokic in 3 years then we have a weapon.
    Meh I think the "he's ready in a couple years" thing is a bit overstated

Like I said in the past, adding strength and/or weight isn't going to affect his offensive game because he has a mind of a wing. This isn't a Luka situation because the reason Luka isn't quite as ready is because his strengths currently lie in his ability to make 3's and slash. He's a turnover machine when he tries to handle the ball longer than 7 seconds. Poku currently possesses more ball control. Poku will be more of a playmaker than ever try to bang down low on offense. On defense, he will be a liability but maybe his offense will offset that enough to find consistent playing time by the end of his rookie season.

He also needs to tone it way the down on the 3's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one takeaway from those IG posts was that his dribble is really low, like lower than Dejounte’s, and Poku is 7 ft. Tall. That is a good thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one takeaway from those IG posts was that his dribble is really low, like lower than Dejounte’s, and Poku is 7 ft. Tall. That is a good thing.
    I almost wonder if he's going to have back issues later in his career.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's 7' feet but probably 6'10 functionally due to long neck and long head. Upper body is skinny but lower body seems to be fine. Good wingspan (7'3) that's why he can dribble lower relative to height much like zinger and durant. If you look at it functionally he is 6'10 with a 7'3 (+5) wingspan with a decent lower body ( non bol bol type ), only needs to add muscle in the upper body.
    Last edited by rankingtear; 09-16-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. I'm not saying that he can't contribute but he probably needs the G-league for strength and also just to not have to be under Pop getting his spirit and will broken. I don't want him to be a constant banger but he does need to be able to take advantage of having smaller players on him with his skill set. I also agree he does need to tone down the 3s just like 90% of the NBA players in the league. I'm really tired of the whole analytics thing. A 15 ft made 2 pointer is better than a missed 22 ft 3 pointer. It is usually easier to hit the target the closer in you are vs being further away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. I'm not saying that he can't contribute but he probably needs the G-league for strength and also just to not have to be under Pop getting his spirit and will broken. I don't want him to be a constant banger but he does need to be able to take advantage of having smaller players on him with his skill set. I also agree he does need to tone down the 3s just like 90% of the NBA players in the league. I'm really tired of the whole analytics thing. A 15 ft made 2 pointer is better than a missed 22 ft 3 pointer. It is usually easier to hit the target the closer in you are vs being further away.
    The thing is, if the 3 point guy shoots 37%, not even elite, the two point guy needs to shoot 55% on two point jumpers to match him in an equal number of shots. That’s unsustainable over time.

100 shots

55 2 pointers = 110pts
    37 3 pointers = 111pts

You’re never going to put the genie back in the bottle, but offenses would be somewhat more varied if the NBA would change the rules back, and allow defenders to fight over screens. Less switching = fewer mismatches on bigs leading to easy threes. Make them at least work for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the "tone it down with three pointers" doesn't make sense, specially for a team sorely lacking volume 3pt shooting like the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re never going to put the genie back in the bottle, but offenses would be somewhat more varied if the NBA would change the rules back, and allow defenders to fight over screens. Less switching = fewer mismatches on bigs leading to easy threes. Make them at least work for it.
    And move the three-point line back a foot -- then you might not even need to worry about defensive rules.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And move the three-point line back a foot -- then you might not even need to worry about defensive rules.
    I’m not sure how effective that would be. Teams set picks WAY outside the arc, and players regularly launch from 25. I think the best remedy is to allow defenders to fight over picks and contest shots.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Joker reaches the finals i'm guessing this guy gets picked in the mid lottery.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a draft that is considered weak, I can see him rising because of his high ceiling. It’s possible he won’t even be around by the time the Spurs pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a draft that is considered weak, I can see him rising because of his high ceiling. It’s possible he won’t even be around by the time the Spurs pick.
    I’ve thought from the beginning that he could be NY bound at #8. They got screwed by the lottery balls, dropping two spots from 6, when they had good odds to move up. They spent a much higher pick on Kristaps a few years back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Poku moves top 10, it's likely Toppin there at 11. So win/ win.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not sure how effective that would be. Teams set picks WAY outside the arc, and players regularly launch from 25. I think the best remedy is to allow defenders to fight over picks and contest shots.
    My favorite proposed change is to not bend the three-point line at the elbow but instead have it just continue to the sideline in the same arc. That eliminates around 25% of the length of the line (corner and near-corner threes) and makes it far easier to cover the whole thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My favorite proposed change is to not bend the three-point line at the elbow but instead have it just continue to the sideline in the same arc. That eliminates around 25% of the length of the line (corner and near-corner threes) and makes it far easier to cover the whole thing.
    Rather than change the three-point line, I’ve read interesting suggestions of changing the size of the paint to pull the game inside. I think that could be doable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be great. In typical Spurs fashion, some solid player will probably drop to us, and hopefully the Spurs will look like geniuses again on draft day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt that Toppin would, but someone would fall out by default. I don't think anyone would take Poku in the top 10 though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My Spider sense went OFF when coach said “He has Battled Injuries In The Past”. Still really like the kid but they better due there due diligence with his medical.

My Girl's a Hooper keithington1's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are salivating over this scouting report. Looks more talented than Samanic and Johnson was the # 2 SG on the Spurs board. That means Samanic was super high on their board. Poku is like skinny mobile Jokic. When it comes to a player developing decision making you have to trust the Spurs development staff. Needs just 20 pounds or so to his frame to keep his speed but also bully some players. A trade back might be to risky
    Last edited by keithington1; 09-17-2020 at 08:53 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information