San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kira Lewis Jr.

College: Alabama
    Position: PG
    Height: 6-foot-3
    Weight: 165 pounds
    Draft Range: 10 to 25

Why: He's a very fast point guard who never gets tired. Quality shooter (36.6% on threes, 80.2% at the line). Strong ball-handler, deadly in the open court and can make plays for teammates. Even though he's skinny, his length allows him to be a plus on defense. This Avery Johnson recruit is young for his class so if you judge him solely on his age, his production really stands out.

Why Not: Decision-making and court vision are both sub par for a point guard. Needs to learn how to run a pick-and-roll. Finishing at the rim needs work for him to truly take advantage of his speed. Would need to add bulk if he has hopes of being a versatile defender.

Spurs Fit: He's raw enough that time in the G League would help him learn the ins and outs of being a point guard. By the second half of his rookie season, he'd probably be ready for NBA minutes.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Supercharged Speedy Claxton

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Weaker Antonio Daniels

Statistics
    Interview
    Highlights

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the kid he is moving up fast in the draft I don't think he will make it past 16.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He seems to have NBA-caliber penetration skills. That's something the team could really use going forward. He's not close to my first choice at 11, but if somehow the Spurs end up with Lewis after making some deals, I won't be mad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought this was a girl tbh

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched Bama play 3-4 times last season, and he was a turnover factory. But he's got some serious jets, for sure.

I'm really interested in the Spurs snagging a PG, so I'm always watching for one. The biggest thing, to me, was that he didn't seem to have a lot of court awareness, angles, etc. He basically had two speeds - go and stop. He would drive until someone cut him off, and THEN go looking for a place to pass. That quick first step is a lot more valuable to a guy who understands how to change pace and create angles. I don't remember his D at all, which probably means something.

Still, you can't teach quick, and he's still young. As long as everyone (PATFO) understands that he's a year out from the NBA, at the very least? He's another gamble play, but at least it's a gamble on a PG... I guess. I hate to even say these words, but he's got speed like Parker and he can actually shoot. I'd just hate to see the Spurs draft another PG who is really a 2 in disguise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched Bama play 3-4 times last season, and he was a turnover factory. But he's got some serious jets, for sure.

I'm really interested in the Spurs snagging a PG, so I'm always watching for one. The biggest thing, to me, was that he didn't seem to have a lot of court awareness, angles, etc. He basically had two speeds - go and stop. He would drive until someone cut him off, and THEN go looking for a place to pass. That quick first step is a lot more valuable to a guy who understands how to change pace and create angles. I don't remember his D at all, which probably means something.

Still, you can't teach quick, and he's still young. As long as everyone (PATFO) understands that he's a year out from the NBA, at the very least? He's another gamble play, but at least it's a gamble on a PG... I guess. I hate to even say these words, but he's got speed like Parker and he can actually shoot. I'd just hate to see the Spurs draft another PG who is really a 2 in disguise.
    The Parker comparison (when he was raw) is what i see too. I like him better than Anthony who seems to be in the same range. He's probably 3rd on my list for PG's but, he might have the highest ceiling because of that speed and quickness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony Parker was a fraud. If Speedy Claxton were our pg, we also win les in 2004, 2006, and 2008 imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony Parker was a fraud. If Speedy Claxton were our pg, we also win les in 2004, 2006, and 2008 imho.
    If Robert Horry could hit an open shot, instead of the side of the backboard, then we would’ve rang those years. Or Turk back in 04.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah I don't either unless they trade Murray for a draft pick and if he were able to fall to us with our second first I would pick him. Put him with the second unit and just let them run the team out of the gyms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish him well, but not on the Spurs.

He does have that "backup PG" label on him which I think he won't shake off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Robert Horry could hit an open shot, instead of the side of the backboard, then we would’ve rang those years. Or Turk back in 04.
    Yeah but Horry hit one shot in g5 against Detroit so he’s a legend even tho he was trash otherwise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be as good as Fox. He's already a better Pg than Murray. I like him alot tbh. Would not be mad at all if we end up with Kira.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like this kid a lot, I second the deaaron fox comparison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just another one of many.

Another one of many who could be the most (or at least one of the most) impactful guy[s] in this draft.

It's crazy folks.

Kira Lewis looks pretty good to me. De'Aaron Fox? Maybe. I could see it. Kinda.

Do you dare spend #11 on this guy? Or try to trade down and get 2 or 3 of these guys who might hit it big?

Or trade up and get someone who might really move the needle like Okongwu or Hayes or Avdija . . .

Settle in folks, it's two more months of this (at least).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Check out a recent YouTube video “4 Sleepers in 2020” by Sub Me In Coach I think anyone looking at Kira will enjoy it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His TO rate is pretty high despite a relatively low USG%... not good news for a supposed PG, and his TO per 100 possessions went up in his sop re season. Even in a best case scenario, I don't see him moving the needle enough to justify a pick at #11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright, basically from what I see from watching this guy a little bit is this:

Good vision, good feel for the game, quick, would provide a serious change of pace to the Spurs, when you watch him on the court you can just tell the difference when he's on it

Prelim player comparison: faster Ja Morant without the hops

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright, basically from what I see from watching this guy a little bit is this:

Good vision, good feel for the game, quick, would provide a serious change of pace to the Spurs, when you watch him on the court you can just tell the difference when he's on it

Prelim player comparison: faster Ja Morant without the hops
    The explosiveness is what seperates the Fox, Wall, from the Schroder , Ish Smith.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting to like Kira more, one of the more likely offensive engines in this class. Speed kills but his shooting is also impressive. Can play off ball next to Dejounte or Derrick due to shooting ability and playmaking is no longer an issue when played with other playmaking guards. Good shooter off the bounce, has a good step back jumper and potential to shoot it off screens. That speed paired with a quick trigger is reminiscent of patty mills. Second youngest player in the draft, so there a lot of runway to fill out that frame and be better in decision making. Played 2 college seasons already on a ton of minutes so more NBA ready than most 19 year old. Not many speed demons have as good of a jump shot profile as Kira, maybe that can mitigate his lack of explosiveness and decision making.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since the college season ended, Kira Lewis Jr. has added about 15 pounds to his frame. That added weight, coupled with his 6-foot-7 wing span, should entice teams who need a point guard in the draft.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/kira-lewis-jr-trainer-believes-213954286.html

Hope he participates in measurements at combine. If I was a combo. guard such as Maxey or Cole and I don’t have a 1st round promise, I would be getting nervous about slipping to late first, early second when all said and done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6-7 isn't really impressive. Like it's better than being 6-3, but he'd still be a clear PG defensively. The added weight will be good if he hasn't lost speed though. His ceiling is based on his ability to finish inside, and he'll be better at that if he's heavier. He remains an intriguing player for me in the draft, but I'd prefer him with a bit later pick and after getting a forward with a higher pick. He'd have a place on the roster right away, but he'd definitely require a trade to free up minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6-7 isn't really impressive. Like it's better than being 6-3, but he'd still be a clear PG defensively. The added weight will be good if he hasn't lost speed though. His ceiling is based on his ability to finish inside, and he'll be better at that if he's heavier. He remains an intriguing player for me in the draft, but I'd prefer him with a bit later pick and after getting a forward with a higher pick. He'd have a place on the roster right away, but he'd definitely require a trade to free up minutes.
    Disagree about just being a 1 defensively. He probably can guard 2s as well and some 3s depending on context and the defensive schemes Spurs are running. Apart from Houston and Clippers, which of the other Western Conf. teams need specific attention at SG? I understand the need for a big but Spurs should take BPA on their board. He may be the top PG from this draft in a couple of years and still just be 21.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone see shades of Tony Parker in him?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah would love to make a trade where we could pick him up and still use our 11th pick on Smith or Williams. I would throw in Murray and our second to get him or LMA or DEROZZ.... make it happen RC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Great breakdown of Kira’s game and as a prospect moving forward.
    If have a spare 10 mins, well worth a watch.

Thread Information