Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if I'm understanding the trend of the last 10-15 years.....PC became an overwhelming no brainer for a while, performance was not comparable, then consoles with last generation into this next one are essentially making crazy low priced gamer PCs, making them attractive for economy and budget, and they aren't too far behind in terms of relative performance anymore?
    The way I'd look at it:

Consoles are always better bang for the buck. Only time PC was truly a must was in the mid to late 90s when you had first rate first person shooters and RPGs (think Half Life, Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein, Diablo, Fallout) that mostly weren't on console or in the best case were really ty on console. The only time consoles have ever matched high-end PC power though were when the 360 came out at $400 and was better than a $1000 gaming PC and these new consoles where a $500 XBox Series X is better than a PC you could build today for $1000. Though the PC you could build for $1000 by mid October with Ryzen 4 + RTX 3070 would mop the floor with the XBox Series X. Current gen was pretty at launch. Still better bang for the buck, but PS4 and XBox One had ridiculously bad cpus (we're talking mobile cpu level) and gpus that were kind of low end even in 2013 the systems came out. Both PS5 and XBox Series X though are launching with what will be the equivalent of upper midrange gpus once the new PC gpus come out this month and next.

I'd just buy the PS5 at launch in your shoes. I'm not going to buy a PS5 for a while but I already have a PS4 and have played most of the top games on the system, whereas you said you haven't played any of the mountain of high end PS4 exclusives, right? So you'd be jumping into PS5 with a monster library of cheap exclusives to play. Stuff like

Bloodborne
    God of War
    Persona 5 Royal
    The Last of Us Parts I & II
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Yakuza 0-6 (though I think 0-2 are on XBox now, I don't think 4-6 are)
    Spiderman
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Final Fantasy VII Remake
    Uncharted 1-4
    Ratchet & Clank
    Kingdom Hearts 1-3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, XBox Series S won't have any of the XBox One X enhancements when playing XBox One games through backwards compatibility. Maybe the gpu is actually a little weaker than what's in the XBox One?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, XBox Series S won't have any of the XBox One X enhancements when playing XBox One games through backwards compatibility. Maybe the gpu is actually a little weaker than what's in the XBox One?
    That's correct, it's the cpu that is almost the same

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's correct, it's the cpu that is almost the same
    You got it backwards man, the cpu is night and day different. The cpu in a the XBox Series S is basically a full-fat 8 core/16 thread Ryzen 7 3700 underclocked a bit to 3.6 GHz. It's a pretty strong PC gaming cpu for 2020. While the cpu in the XBox One was a 1.7 GHz Jaguar 8C/8T garbage mobile processor that was super low end in 2013. Not only was the core speed super low on the XBox One cpu, but the IPC was horrendous on AMD cpus back then. Even the overclock to 2.1 GHz on the XBox One X didn't do , those will still garbage cpus.

I'm going to venture the gpu in the Series S is slightly weaker than the one in the XBox One X. That's the conclusion Digital Foundry came to a couple of months ago when taking an RX 5500XT and downclocking it see what a 4TFLOPS Navi1 gpu would look like since those were the leaked specs of the Series S. They found it slightly weaker than the 6TFLOPS XBox One X gpu. Though I was expecting Navi2 might have some improvement that would pull the 4TFLOPS Navi2 gpu into parity or ahead of the 6TFLOPS X1X gpu. Guess not though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You got it backwards man, the cpu is night and day different. The cpu in a the XBox Series S is basically a full-fat 8 core/16 thread Ryzen 7 3700 underclocked a bit to 3.6 GHz. It's a pretty strong PC gaming cpu for 2020. While the cpu in the XBox One was a 1.7 GHz Jaguar 8C/8T garbage mobile processor that was super low end in 2013. Not only was the core speed super low on the XBox One cpu, but the IPC was horrendous on AMD cpus back then. Even the overclock to 2.1 GHz on the XBox One X didn't do , those will still garbage cpus.

I'm going to venture the gpu in the Series S is slightly weaker than the one in the XBox One X. That's the conclusion Digital Foundry came to a couple of months ago when taking an RX 5500XT and downclocking it see what a 4TFLOPS Navi1 gpu would look like since those were the leaked specs of the Series S. They found it slightly weaker than the 6TFLOPS XBox One X gpu. Though I was expecting Navi2 might have some improvement that would pull the 4TFLOPS Navi2 gpu into parity or ahead of the 6TFLOPS X1X gpu. Guess not though.
    I meant is the same as series x.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I meant is the same as series x.
    Oh ok. I don't think anyone could have expected anything close to the Series X gpu in the Series S though. Microsoft must be taking an enormous loss per console selling that Series X at $500.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh ok. I don't think anyone could have expected anything close to the Series X gpu in the Series S though. Microsoft must be taking an enormous loss per console selling that Series X at $500.
    like i said earlier they pulling a planet fitness

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like i said earlier they pulling a planet fitness
    Damn I thought Game Pass sounded great with news that EA Play was included until I saw EA doesn't put their current year sports games on EA Play and doesn't have Jedi Fallen Order either. But yeah people are going to buy Game Pass to play Madden 20?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn I thought Game Pass sounded great with news that EA Play was included until I saw EA doesn't put their current year sports games on EA Play and doesn't have Jedi Fallen Order either. But yeah people are going to buy Game Pass to play Madden 20?
    Fallen Order is too successful right now to be on EA play, but should be there by November, current games usually are in the Access Vault in January.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i was going to lol poorbox no matter what they released tbh... they cant proven they can hold a candle to Sony exclusives
    Microsoft just bought Bethesda. Looks like you may have to get a PoorBox after all if you want the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , Reck is not going to like this news, as it wasn't just Bethesda Microsoft has just bought out. It's the parent company Zenimax, which includes Arkane studios who develops the Dishonored games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also looks like Doom and Wolfenstein could end up XBox / PC exclusives in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im gonna stick with my Xbox One that I only use for sport games and streaming services

COD, Arkham , etc, all collecting dust

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Microsoft just bought Bethesda. Looks like you may have to get a PoorBox after all if you want the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls.
    And a lot of their games are going to be on the PC Game Pass

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , Reck is not going to like this news, as it wasn't just Bethesda Microsoft has just bought out. It's the parent company Zenimax, which includes Arkane studios who develops the Dishonored games.
    Tbh, I can live with or without them. Outside of Dishonored the only games I played from them was Wolfenstein.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty ballsy/desperate move by Microsoft, but they needed to do it, IMO... they were getting assraped when it comes to exclusives...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty ballsy/desperate move by Microsoft, but they needed to do it, IMO... they were getting assraped when it comes to exclusives...
    Just wondering if they're getting the Jordan on the Wizards version of Bethesda after Fallout 4 was a little disappointing and Fallout 76 was flaming dog .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wondering if they're getting the Jordan on the Wizards version of Bethesda after Fallout 4 was a little disappointing and Fallout 76 was flaming dog .
    Well, I agree they've been more of hits and misses lately, but it's a lot of studios... I mean, the next Elder Scrolls will sell on hype alone. id always has good value. Arkane is pretty good too.

They should be able to come up with some original IPs there. It would really be terrible if this goes the Minecraft route.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I agree they've been more of hits and misses lately, but it's a lot of studios... I mean, the next Elder Scrolls will sell on hype alone. id always has good value. Arkane is pretty good too.

They should be able to come up with some original IPs there. It would really be terrible if this goes the Minecraft route.
    What's the Minecraft route?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have turned Minecraft into a catch all I'm guessing is what he meant? A bit like LEGO.

But at least the lego games are fun as .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have turned Minecraft into a catch all I'm guessing is what he meant? A bit like LEGO.

But at least the lego games are fun as .
    I thought all those Minecraft spinoffs started before Microsoft bought them?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is ing dope, even more excited about my upcoming Series S purchase.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paid $2.5 billion, never created a new IP (or at least an IP that's noteworthy). Ray Traced Minecraft? meh.

I mean $2.5 billion as a data scrapper, seems a bit expensive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we'll see, the whole reason we haven't seen one of their new RPGs was because they supposedly been working on a new engine because their original one was ass. No Elder scrolls for almost a decade and we still haven't even caught a glimpse of Starfield, lead me to believe they are a bit away from actually releasing anything soon anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also they bought that for 7/8 what disney payed for Marvel and Star Wars together, i mean how much money microsoft make during the pandemic for sake

Thread Information